Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer

Bethesda Softworks celebrates tomorrow's release of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood by offering a new gameplay reveal trailer from the alternate-history shooter prequel. Here's word:
By now you’ve read our hands-on preview of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. (And if you haven’t, feel free to check out Wolfenstein: The Old Blood – Playing with History. Don’t worry, we’ll wait for you to return.) Now, see the game in action in our latest video revealing all-new gameplay and some nifty Nazi-slaying details.

Yep, that’s right. You’ll actually explore the infamous Castle Wolfenstein, a true monument to gaming history. Once inside, you’ll have an opportunity to sneak around and face off against a bevy of new Nazi goons. But don’t worry: you’ve got a fresh arsenal of weaponry at your disposal, including the brutally effective lead pipe.
Want to know more about The Old Blood? Be sure to check out these Bethesda Blog features:

7 Things You Need to Know About Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood — ‘Get Psyched’ Primer (Preloads, System Requirements, and more!)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood – Preview Roundup
TwitchWorks Time Travels in Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer
May 6, 2015, 02:43
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 6, 2015, 02:43
May 6, 2015, 02:43

headshot wrote on May 5, 2015, 08:45:
InBlack wrote on May 5, 2015, 03:15:
Do the Germans sensor Nazi imagery in their films and books too? (Serious question, I really don't know). You would think that a game where you are killing Nazis by the hundreds would get a pass...

you can see indiana jones in berlin getting an autograph from hitler. on your tv. no problems at all.

but since somebody already posted, gaming isn't accepted as the same art (since you are able to control your actions and somehow sympathize with the nazis) and gets banned or altered. where altering is the worst. RtCW got completely botched, you fight against the "Wolfsclan" and "Heinrich Höller" instead of Himmler. it is soldier of fortunes alternate reality story all over again.

So I guess it was no problem to show Inglorius Basterds in Germany then.
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

May 5, 2015, 09:56
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 09:56
May 5, 2015, 09:56

The real annoying part for us Germans is the Steam requirement. It was no problem to import earlier games in the series (except for the minor risk of the package getting zapped by customs). It is only illegal to buy/sell these kinds of games with swastikas but ownership per se is actually legit.
I imported the US CE of Return to Castle Wolfenstein no problem and was able to play it here because this was back in the pre-Steam days when games just required a disk in the drive.
Nowadays we're fucked because of many PC games publishers choosing Steam as their DRM and Steam region-locking everything to death. Thanks, Valve & Bethesda. Not.
So, just like with New Order, I'm gonna pirate this Old Blood shit. They're leaving us no other choice.

May 5, 2015, 08:45
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 08:45
May 5, 2015, 08:45

Do the Germans sensor Nazi imagery in their films and books too? (Serious question, I really don't know). You would think that a game where you are killing Nazis by the hundreds would get a pass...

you can see indiana jones in berlin getting an autograph from hitler. on your tv. no problems at all.

but since somebody already posted, gaming isn't accepted as the same art (since you are able to control your actions and somehow sympathize with the nazis) and gets banned or altered. where altering is the worst. RtCW got completely botched, you fight against the "Wolfsclan" and "Heinrich Höller" instead of Himmler. it is soldier of fortunes alternate reality story all over again.

May 5, 2015, 08:43
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 08:43
May 5, 2015, 08:43

Qbex . wrote on May 5, 2015, 08:01:
Top end sli rig and such a shitty performance, texture pop ins and all kinds of nasties. I'll wait for new drivers and optimization guide before I get back in.
What do you expect from the unloved child of John Carmack?

May 5, 2015, 08:01
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 08:01
May 5, 2015, 08:01

Love this game but holy shit what a rubbish engine this is.
Top end sli rig and such a shitty performance, texture pop ins and all kinds of nasties. I'll wait for new drivers and optimization guide before I get back in.

May 5, 2015, 08:00
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 08:00
May 5, 2015, 08:00

Kajetan wrote on May 5, 2015, 06:56:
It may take some time, but one day we will be able to officaly buy a Wolfenstein game with swastikas...

Yeah, one day...maybe by the year of our lord 1992 it could happen.
I have a nifty blue line!

May 5, 2015, 06:56
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 06:56
May 5, 2015, 06:56

Do the Germans sensor Nazi imagery in their films and books too?
No. Films and books are considered art, therefore you can show films like "Iron Sky" in Germany without removing any nazi symbols. Games, on the other hand, games are NOT considered as art. Yet! It may take some time, but one day we will be able to officaly buy a Wolfenstein game with swastikas, instead of using pirated copies or weird VPN setups to fool the Steam region block.

May 5, 2015, 05:15
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 05:15
May 5, 2015, 05:15

It's not illegal, per se, but images, movies, books, games, any media that children can watch has to be censored or it can only be sold to adults. German politicians use this to harass companies into just sanitizing the media so they don't have to deal with any possible legal hassle.

And thus Germany proves that no matter who is in charge, they still fuck it up.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

May 5, 2015, 05:10
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 05:10
May 5, 2015, 05:10

Hour and a half in on the DLC on PS4, and thus far it's super solid. Love this game. You can bitch about the engine all you want, but anything that runs 60fps@1080p on these gdamned consoles is a plus in my book.

It'd look better on my rig, but i purchased the main game on ps4, and i'm quite impressed with the visuals on the little black shit box.

May 5, 2015, 03:30
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 03:30
May 5, 2015, 03:30

I have the PS4 version and there are swastikas. They are not everywhere, but they are there (US version).

May 5, 2015, 03:15
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 03:15
May 5, 2015, 03:15

May 5, 2015, 03:08
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 03:08
May 5, 2015, 03:08

InBlack wrote on May 5, 2015, 03:03:
Anyone else put off by the 'sanitized' Nazis? Not a single swastika in sight? Not a single portrait of Adolph on the walls of Castle Wolfenstein? The original didn't shirk from controversy, so why are we as a 'progressive' society so afraid of revisiting our history in popular media? It's not like they are trying to portray the bad guys as anything but the bad guys in this game anyway.

By removing all Nazi symbolism from this game (and many others in the past decade or so) we are just giving these symbols and the movement they represented much more power and much more meaning than they ever really had, or desereved.

This way, they get to sell it in Germany. On the downside, it looks more like you're fighting the Wehrmacht than the Nazis, which make for a less morally compelling story.
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

May 5, 2015, 03:03
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 03:03
May 5, 2015, 03:03

Anyone else put off by the 'sanitized' Nazis? Not a single swastika in sight? Not a single portrait of Adolph on the walls of Castle Wolfenstein? The original didn't shirk from controversy, so why are we as a 'progressive' society so afraid of revisiting our history in popular media? It's not like they are trying to portray the bad guys as anything but the bad guys in this game anyway.

By removing all Nazi symbolism from this game (and many others in the past decade or so) we are just giving these symbols and the movement they represented much more power and much more meaning than they ever really had, or desereved.

May 5, 2015, 01:45
Jivaro

Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 01:45
May 5, 2015, 01:45
 Jivaro

Agent.X7 wrote on May 5, 2015, 00:44:
nin wrote on May 4, 2015, 23:50:
Jivaro wrote on May 4, 2015, 23:37:
I didn't pre-order it and I haven't played New Order Yet...but damn, that looked fun. Damn this backlog of games...

I paid full price for New Order and have no regrets. It's a good story, with memorable characters and great gunplay. My GOTY for 2014, hands down. If you buy it on steam for $45, you get both for $45.

My only concern is the length of the DLC, as I think it's only like 7 chapters. We'll see how long that translates into hours of gameplay tomorrow, with reviews (I hope).

But I REALLY hope Machine Games (who did both the game and DLC) gets to make the followup. The ending (of New Order) is a bit of a cliffhanger (stick around for the very end of the credits), and I'd love to know what happens next.

Yeah, hoping for a sequel too. Really was a fantastic game. And I won't even botch about the engine. (Crossed my fingers behind my back, nya nya)

Good to know! Thanks to both of you

May 5, 2015, 00:44
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 00:44
May 5, 2015, 00:44

nin wrote on May 4, 2015, 23:50:
I didn't pre-order it and I haven't played New Order Yet...but damn, that looked fun. Damn this backlog of games...

I paid full price for New Order and have no regrets. It's a good story, with memorable characters and great gunplay. My GOTY for 2014, hands down. If you buy it on steam for $45, you get both for $45.

My only concern is the length of the DLC, as I think it's only like 7 chapters. We'll see how long that translates into hours of gameplay tomorrow, with reviews (I hope).

But I REALLY hope Machine Games (who did both the game and DLC) gets to make the followup. The ending (of New Order) is a bit of a cliffhanger (stick around for the very end of the credits), and I'd love to know what happens next.

Yeah, hoping for a sequel too. Really was a fantastic game. And I won't even botch about the engine. (Crossed my fingers behind my back, nya nya)
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

May 5, 2015, 00:39
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 5, 2015, 00:39
May 5, 2015, 00:39

<Electric-Spock> wrote on May 4, 2015, 22:01:
It would be nice to see them throw in a retro multiplayer mode. Maybe give it a sort of quake 2 feel like the q2dm maps. It doesn't seem like it would take much effort with the engine and art assets already there and ready to go. Of course a proper team based Return to Castle Wolf would be even better but, I just don't understand the love lost from prior iD games with the focus of multiplayer and why they don't even attempt it anymore. It's been too long, throw us veteran PC gamers a bone!

I cant but agree. A modern carbone copy of MP in RTcW is one of my dreams. Darn what i miss that game. I mean, how many hours havent i spend on Beach or Marketgarden? Guess its more like months, years than days on those 2 maps...

May 4, 2015, 23:50
nin

Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 4, 2015, 23:50
May 4, 2015, 23:50
 nin

May 4, 2015, 23:37
Jivaro

Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 4, 2015, 23:37
May 4, 2015, 23:37
 Jivaro

nin wrote on May 4, 2015, 18:57:
Preloaded and ready to go! Hit it!

May 4, 2015, 22:01
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 4, 2015, 22:01
May 4, 2015, 22:01

It would be nice to see them throw in a retro multiplayer mode. Maybe give it a sort of quake 2 feel like the q2dm maps. It doesn't seem like it would take much effort with the engine and art assets already there and ready to go. Of course a proper team based Return to Castle Wolf would be even better but, I just don't understand the love lost from prior iD games with the focus of multiplayer and why they don't even attempt it anymore. It's been too long, throw us veteran PC gamers a bone!

May 4, 2015, 21:10
Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Trailer May 4, 2015, 21:10
May 4, 2015, 21:10

Looks really good... I'm tempted to actually buy this new, which is sheer lunacy of course! I did feel I easily got my money's worth(sale) on Wolfenstein though, hrm...
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older