Diablo III Blood Shard Bans

A forum post from earlier this week explains Blizzard's approach to disciplining Diablo III players for exploiting a bug that granted extra blood shards from treasure goblins. The exploit has been closed off via a hotfix, and they explain they are dealing with three different levels of violation, and their response ranges from banning the worst offenders to pardoning those at the other end of the spectrum:
From there, taking the complexity and impact of the exploit into consideration, we also elected to action accounts on a case-by-case basis. In general, one of three things occurred:

• Accounts which were found to have both used the exploit excessively and publicly promoted its use were permanently banned.
  • Accounts which were found to have used the exploit excessively, but did not publicly promote it, were rolled back and their associated heroes removed from active Leaderboards (both Seasonal and non-Seasonal).
  • Accounts which were found to have used the exploit to a limited degree (or quickly stopped once realizing the scope of what was happening) were effectively pardoned. We understand these situations can inspire a certain level of curiosity and that it may not always be immediately clear if you’re undermining intended game mechanics. Mistakes happen, but we hope this leniency won’t be taken for granted in the future.

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans
Apr 27, 2015, 07:06
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 27, 2015, 07:06
Apr 27, 2015, 07:06

Are you surprised hes a fan boy? He whines any time someone talks about a blizzard game, its a pattern. Getting to what you said though, fixes take time. You can't just let players go crazy while the integrity of the game is compromised because that ruins the fun for other people who are playing within the intended boundaries of the game.

I don't mind cheating and exploiting personally because I don't take my games as seriously as some baby men here but people doing it shouldn't be surprised when they get banned and Blizzard are totally right to ban them.

Apr 27, 2015, 02:44
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 27, 2015, 02:44
Apr 27, 2015, 02:44

Krovven wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 13:26:
InBlack wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 08:08:

Except botting is cheating using third party software. Do you see the difference? Oh who am I kidding, don't even answer that.

What's wrong with your brain that makes you think one is wrong and one is ok, when both are against the rules of the game?

Perhaps we should focus more on the issue of Blizzard banning players for using exploits, instead of fixing the exploits. Now please tell me some more how I am wrong in the head for actually thinking that the responsibility for these lies with Blizzard, you know. Because they are the ones who developed the game and introduced the code that allowed this in the first place. Jesus, the fucking nerve of you fucking fanbois.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2015, 02:51.
I have a nifty blue line!

Apr 26, 2015, 13:26
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 26, 2015, 13:26
Apr 26, 2015, 13:26

Except botting is cheating using third party software. Do you see the difference? Oh who am I kidding, don't even answer that.

What's wrong with your brain that makes you think one is wrong and one is ok, when both are against the rules of the game?

Apr 26, 2015, 10:45
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 26, 2015, 10:45
Apr 26, 2015, 10:45

NKD wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 09:59:
I have zero problems with rollbacks or bans in leaderboard/competitive play scenarios. Cheating is cheating, regardless of whether you're exploiting an obvious bug, botting, or whatever.

If you take an "Exploits are our fault, so exploit the shit out of them until we fix them!" approach you basically foster an environment where even players who wouldn't otherwise use exploits will use them just to remain competitive, since they know there will be no consequences. I can't think of any game that has gone easy on exploiters and cheaters and at the same time has healthy competitive gameplay modes/features.

One thing is just not compatible with the other.

Pretty much this. I have no problem with this kind of thing either, people who abuse bugs ruin the game for other players. Yes, Blizzard is responsible for any bugs in their game and that means not only do they have a responsibility to fix said bugs, but also having a policy in place that the discourages exploiting bugs before they can be found and fixed.

The attitude of, 'They made a mistake so I can take advantage of it however much I want', is just a weak attempt at justifying antisocial behavior. There are other ways of bringing things like this to attention than exploiting it for personal gain. People are responsible for their own behavior.

Apr 26, 2015, 09:59
NKD
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 26, 2015, 09:59
Apr 26, 2015, 09:59
NKD

I have zero problems with rollbacks or bans in leaderboard/competitive play scenarios. Cheating is cheating, regardless of whether you're exploiting an obvious bug, botting, or whatever.

If you take an "Exploits are our fault, so exploit the shit out of them until we fix them!" approach you basically foster an environment where even players who wouldn't otherwise use exploits will use them just to remain competitive, since they know there will be no consequences. I can't think of any game that has gone easy on exploiters and cheaters and at the same time has healthy competitive gameplay modes/features.

One thing is just not compatible with the other.

Apr 26, 2015, 09:38
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 26, 2015, 09:38
Apr 26, 2015, 09:38

Except botting is cheating using third party software. Do you see the difference?
There is no difference. Cheating is cheating.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Apr 26, 2015, 08:08
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 26, 2015, 08:08
Apr 26, 2015, 08:08

Krovven wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 15:53:
Zarkov wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 15:43:
Krovven wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:45:
If you find some way in a game like this to exploit a mechanic that is obviously unintended, if you do not stop it, then suffer the consequences.
Of course, a rollback may be needed if things get out of hand before the developers have a fix ready. Removing player accounts is something completely different, however.

I think Blizzard has a tone in their comment that is completely wrong.

Obviously I'm fully aware that it is allowed for them to ban players, which is what I disagree with.

They have been dozens warnings since the game launched. There have been plenty of times, where people can learn from others mistakes. Generally they get short term suspensions if it's their first offense. If they come back and do it again, they are banned outright.

Friend of mine I've been playing D3 with for a long time got into botting. Why, I don't really know. It doesn't take long to get decent gear now. But he got suspended once for botting for I think 3 months. After that they let him come back...what does he do? He goes right back to botting...and gets perma banned.

That's not the fault of Blizzard, it's the fault of the dumbass that didn't learn the first time around.

I have a nifty blue line!

Apr 25, 2015, 19:23
Cram

Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 19:23
Apr 25, 2015, 19:23
 Cram

Due to the nature of the exploit, and the steps needed to take advantage of it, I don't have any problem with the bans.

I wish they could improve their bot detection technology, I suppose you could call it their DRM. It's definitely a problem, and one I, foolishly, hoped wouldn't exist by Blizzard making the game online only. Silly me.

Apr 25, 2015, 19:00
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 19:00
Apr 25, 2015, 19:00

Zarkov wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 13:48:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it should be possible (or even legal) to ban players / remove accounts for exploiting a bug in a game,

I'm sorry but all you gamers asked for this shit by enabling mmos/steam/always online DRM.

Apr 25, 2015, 18:07
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 18:07
Apr 25, 2015, 18:07

Asmodai wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 17:38:
Armengar wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 16:46:
Zarkov wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:21:
Never on a project large enough to suddenly have users be responsible for bugs.

start exploiting bugs on gambling sites and see where it gets you.

Which deals in real money in competitive play against other people.

F#cking apologists are awful at analogies...

Only difference is real money. There are leaderboards therefor competitive play.
Just because it does involve real money, people should be able to do whatever they want?

Apr 25, 2015, 17:38
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 17:38
Apr 25, 2015, 17:38

Armengar wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 16:46:

Which deals in real money in competitive play against other people.

F#cking apologists are awful at analogies...

Apr 25, 2015, 16:46
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 16:46
Apr 25, 2015, 16:46

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Apr 25, 2015, 16:23
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 16:23
Apr 25, 2015, 16:23

Was pretty funny when Mannercookie got banned on a live stream. I really can't stand most streamers though. All they do is act retarded by saying 'rip' or 'get rekt' every three seconds.

Apr 25, 2015, 15:53
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 15:53
Apr 25, 2015, 15:53

Zarkov wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 15:43:
If you find some way in a game like this to exploit a mechanic that is obviously unintended, if you do not stop it, then suffer the consequences.
Of course, a rollback may be needed if things get out of hand before the developers have a fix ready. Removing player accounts is something completely different, however.

Obviously I'm fully aware that it is allowed for them to ban players, which is what I disagree with.

They have been dozens warnings since the game launched. There have been plenty of times, where people can learn from others mistakes. Generally they get short term suspensions if it's their first offense. If they come back and do it again, they are banned outright.

Friend of mine I've been playing D3 with for a long time got into botting. Why, I don't really know. It doesn't take long to get decent gear now. But he got suspended once for botting for I think 3 months. After that they let him come back...what does he do? He goes right back to botting...and gets perma banned.

That's not the fault of Blizzard, it's the fault of the dumbass that didn't learn the first time around.

Apr 25, 2015, 15:43
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 15:43
Apr 25, 2015, 15:43

Apr 25, 2015, 15:38
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 15:38
Apr 25, 2015, 15:38

Darks wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 15:22:
I'm sorry, but any exploit in any game that is the developers fault should never get anyone banned even if they are exploiting. Blizz knew about it and did nothing to fix it until it got out of hand.

You cant fault someone who is only using the game, if a goblin is dropping Blood Shards at a crazy rate, then blizz should have hot fixed it on the spot and not a week later.

Wrong. Blizzard fixed this 2 weeks ago. And they were public about it right away making it clear that exploiting it will get you banned (before it was fixed).
It's not like it was simple to accidentally do it. It required specific steps to do it. They have also always been clear that exploiting stuff like this will get you banned. There are no excuses.

Just because someone leaves a store unlocked after business hours doesn't mean you can go take what you want without repercussions.

Apr 25, 2015, 15:22
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 15:22
Apr 25, 2015, 15:22

I'm sorry, but any exploit in any game that is the developers fault should never get anyone banned even if they are exploiting. Blizz knew about it and did nothing to fix it until it got out of hand.

You cant fault someone who is only using the game, if a goblin is dropping Blood Shards at a crazy rate, then blizz should have hot fixed it on the spot and not a week later.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Apr 25, 2015, 14:45
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 14:45
Apr 25, 2015, 14:45

dubfanatic wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:05:
I can tell you've never worked on a large-scale software project before.

Nobody said they were responsible for the bugs. Where do you get that from? They are however responsible for their own actions.

I'll assume you weren't capable of reading past the opening line to the new story...so I'll help you out. Players "Accounts which were found to have used the exploit to a limited degree (or quickly stopped once realizing the scope of what was happening) were effectively pardoned."

People that abused it repeatedly, were banned and rightfully so.

Apr 25, 2015, 14:32
PHJF

Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 14:32
Apr 25, 2015, 14:32
 PHJF

Game devs/publishers can ban players from online servers for any reason whatsoever. Virtually every online game includes this explicit clause in the fine print, on the box, and when signing up for accounts.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Apr 25, 2015, 14:21
Re: Diablo III Blood Shard Bans Apr 25, 2015, 14:21
Apr 25, 2015, 14:21

dubfanatic wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:05:
I can tell you've never worked on a large-scale software project before.
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older