GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups

A story on Gamers Nexus follows up on reports that Rockstar Support is hanging up on users complaining of lost access to their Rockstar Social Club accounts, and therefore Grand Theft Auto V. This video has a recording of one such incident, and their reporter follows this up by recreating the scenario, calling support and being hung up on after being told that the complaint has been recorded, and that no further support could be offered at this time. They called back and got one representative to admit customer service reps have been instructed to hang up after registering a ticket and giving that message. The article also takes issue with how refunds are or are not being offered, but perhaps most interesting is their assertion that their own Social Club account which was hacked has a unique password, which would cast doubt upon Rockstar's contention that the security on their service has not been compromised in anyway. Thanks Smogzy.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups
Apr 23, 2015, 12:02
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 12:02
Apr 23, 2015, 12:02

NamecaF wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 11:41:
InBlack wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 07:58:
The real question is how many of those that got burned by Rockstar's support (in addition to already having an unplayable product) will turn around and buy (or even worse, preorder) the very next thing Rockstar announces, without batting an eyelid.

I dont think any other industry in the world has better, loyal or more forgetful customers, most of us gamers are ready and willing to buy any old piece of shit in a box (or a digital download) just WOW us and HYPE us and we will give you our soul...

It's quite pathetic, but when you think about the origins of our escapism hobby, it makes a lot of sense.

I saw this coming a mile away and said as much a month or so ago and got poo-pooed by all the fan-boys on here.

Rockstar's arrogance and consistent lack of respect for their paying customers should not be rewarded! Like I said last time they wont ever be seeing another red cent from me.

All you other forgetful/weak-willed enablers either need to vote with your wallets too or else suck it up, stop complaining and realise you're not helping the situation or yourselves by continuing to buy their games and show them that it's ok to treat their customers like this.

Yet I still have gotten more value per dollar with GTA V than almost any other game I own and I've bought the PS3 and PC versions at full price. Rockstar Support sucks. You can see my rants about it going back to when GTA Online first launched on PS3. I knew going in with the PC version there would be some bumps and bruises, but the game is too much fun (especially with friends) to ignore.

For the most part, Rockstar delivered. The game runs well for the majority of people. Unfortunately they seem to be having some random technical issues as most of my friends have unique issues.

This doesn't make me a weak-willed enabler. It means I enjoy playing great games with friends and can make my own choice of what to do with my money.

Apr 23, 2015, 11:41
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 11:41
Apr 23, 2015, 11:41

The real question is how many of those that got burned by Rockstar's support (in addition to already having an unplayable product) will turn around and buy (or even worse, preorder) the very next thing Rockstar announces, without batting an eyelid.

I dont think any other industry in the world has better, loyal or more forgetful customers, most of us gamers are ready and willing to buy any old piece of shit in a box (or a digital download) just WOW us and HYPE us and we will give you our soul...

It's quite pathetic, but when you think about the origins of our escapism hobby, it makes a lot of sense.

I saw this coming a mile away and said as much a month or so ago and got poo-pooed by all the fan-boys on here.

Rockstar's arrogance and consistent lack of respect for their paying customers should not be rewarded! Like I said last time they wont ever be seeing another red cent from me.

All you other forgetful/weak-willed enablers either need to vote with your wallets too or else suck it up, stop complaining and realise you're not helping the situation or yourselves by continuing to buy their games and show them that it's ok to treat their customers like this.
"I hope those bastards get inoperable brain cancer that they have passed on to their children."
-RedEye9

Apr 23, 2015, 08:53
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 08:53
Apr 23, 2015, 08:53

Yup, gamers are irrational and always desperate for the next fix. Anyone who argues gaming isn't an addiction got all their work ahead of them trying to come up with sensible arguments.

And on that note.. let me be the first to say:

"Hello, I'm Vince, and I'm an addict."
"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

Apr 23, 2015, 08:36
NKD
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 08:36
Apr 23, 2015, 08:36
NKD

I've been saying for a long time that gamers are the absolute worst customer base in the world in terms of consumer smarts, and the best for any company to have. Yes, gamers will rage and fly off the handle over just about anything, but when it comes to their purchasing decisions they are incredibly forgiving.

For most gamers, all it takes is a few shiny trailers. Even the most discerning gamers can be swayed by token efforts to regain their trust.

Look at GTA5. The performance is good, and it's pretty. This is slightly improved from GTA4 which had abysmal performance. But other than that, it's the same old story. It's a buggy mess, particularly the multiplayer. The flow of the interface is shit, the responsiveness of shooting is sluggish, the same crap we've seen from every PC GTA since Vice City. But some people, even here on Blue's, are sucking Rockstar's proverbial dick because they made one fewer mistake this time out.

Admittedly I got suckered into this one myself, and I'm a big enough man to admit I didn't use my best judgement. I saw that the performance of the game was good and bought in to play multiplayer with friends. Reviews glossed over the serious bugs, abysmal and frequent loading times, and nonsensical multiplayer workflow. To say nothing of the often unresponsive keyboard and mouse controls. If I had waited a week, all that would have been clear. Instead I let a token effort to improve upon their previous outing alter my decision.

So why did that happen? It's not like Rockstar or any other game company has leverage on me. I can easily do without their product. I have all the power in this customer relationship. I can refuse to purchase their product for any reason I want with minimal impact to myself. For me, after some introspection, I think it's mostly peer pressure. Gamers exert a lot of pressure on each other to keep up to speed on games. Imagine trying to discuss anything here at Blue's if you were only buying a select few games, and only 2 years post release during a Steam sale. You'd be so behind the times you'd have a hard time finding a relevant discussion. If you play a lot of multiplayer games, this effect is magnified since you need to get into these games while their multiplayer community is still thriving, and with your friends begging you to play with them.

I think the simplest way to put it is that purchasing games is an access pass to a community. The fewer games you purchase, the less engaged you are with gaming as a hobby, but particularly with gaming as a community. People feel a need to stay engaged, so they let peer pressure and hype sweep them along.

I can't count the number of times I've seen someone say they weren't getting a game, or were waiting for sale, but then later seen them crumble when they see their friends are buying the game. Even when they know their friends don't necessarily buy the best games, they still do it because everyone else is doing it.
"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

Apr 23, 2015, 07:58
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 07:58
Apr 23, 2015, 07:58

I have a nifty blue line!

Apr 23, 2015, 05:14
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 05:14
Apr 23, 2015, 05:14

Kajetan wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 04:40:
Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 03:11:
EVERY customer should be treated with respect, because without the customer, you wouldn't fucking exist.
True, but ...

We talk about games and not about kitchen appliances or even cars. We talk about games and a LOT of gamers are emotionally addicted to their games and their favourite dev. When you are successful as Rockstar and every GTA sells millions and millions ... you get arrogant and sloppy, because you just know that your customers will pay and do ANYTHING to get their hands on a copy of GTA. There is a reason why EA was Worst US company two years in a row and still they make 4 billion dollar revenue each effin year with optional luxury products.

Obviously you're correct. They are assholes because they can get away with it, basically. That doesn't make it right, though. And anyone who would use your logic as an argument FOR Rockstar, should be put in a straightjacket. For the record: I'm not saying that's what you're doing.
"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

Apr 23, 2015, 04:40
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 04:40
Apr 23, 2015, 04:40

Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 03:11:
EVERY customer should be treated with respect, because without the customer, you wouldn't fucking exist.
True, but ...

We talk about games and not about kitchen appliances or even cars. We talk about games and a LOT of gamers are emotionally addicted to their games and their favourite dev. When you are successful as Rockstar and every GTA sells millions and millions ... you get arrogant and sloppy, because you just know that your customers will pay and do ANYTHING to get their hands on a copy of GTA. There is a reason why EA was Worst US company two years in a row and still they make 4 billion dollar revenue each effin year with optional luxury products.

Apr 23, 2015, 03:11
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 03:11
Apr 23, 2015, 03:11

This is so Rockstar. Their image/attitude is one of an extremely arrogant asshole who doesn't give a fuck about anyone. This is another perfect case that confirms it.

As a manager of the Samsung Tech department in The Netherlands, you'd see me run around naked holding my dick singing the metal version of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" sooner than ever telling my agents to even remotely act like this. EVERY customer should be treated with respect, because without the customer, you wouldn't fucking exist. If they can't handle the amount of incoming calls, fix it in any way.. but just don't tell your agents to bluntly hang up. It's absolutely crazy and in this case.. I hope Cutter is right.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2015, 03:19.
"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

Apr 22, 2015, 23:21
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 23:21
Apr 22, 2015, 23:21

His point was that you're constantly crying about lawsuits for various things that never happen. Lawsuits may be commonplace in America but you clearly know jack shit about them considering how many you predict that never come to be. No one is fucking suing Rockstar over a few dropped calls from first level tech support, take your own advice about using your head.

Apr 22, 2015, 23:06
Cutter

Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 23:06
Apr 22, 2015, 23:06
 Cutter

Kosumo wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:46:
Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:10:
This is inexcusable for a company that makes the kind of money they do. Countdown to class action suit in 3...2...1...

You say class action all the time and it never EVER happens, It's like you are the poor step-brother of James McGill, but less cool, less James McGill, way less.

It's like you are "Better Not Call Cutter" Winkrazz

It always happens and you don't need to be a lawyer to see it coming. Just have half a brain, which a lot of clowns around here lack. America is the land of lawsuits. There are literally 10's of 1000's of lawyers out there looking for shit like this. There are currently about 1.3 million lawyers in the US. It's not rocket surgery.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 22, 2015, 22:21
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 22:21
Apr 22, 2015, 22:21

What else do you expect from outsourcing? If they can't do anything about it over the phone, I'm sure <random Indian call center> management doesn't want to spend an hour explaining as such to every single person on the line. They have support calls from 38 other Fortune 500 companies they have to get to! Haven't you seen South Park?

Apr 22, 2015, 22:06
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 22:06
Apr 22, 2015, 22:06

That's some quality customer service there.

Apr 22, 2015, 21:52
NKD
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:52
Apr 22, 2015, 21:52
NKD

Kosumo wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:46:
This is inexcusable for a company that makes the kind of money they do. Countdown to class action suit in 3...2...1...

You say class action all the time and it never EVER happens, It's like you are the poor step-brother of James McGill, but less cool, less James McGill, way less.

Cutter loves "class action lawsuit" and "wire fraud". Those are his favorite terms in the whoooole wide world. In his world, any time a company does something that you don't like, it's fraud and you should sue.

I'd ask Jack Thompson for legal advice before I'd ask Cuttard.

Apr 22, 2015, 21:46
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:46
Apr 22, 2015, 21:46

Apr 22, 2015, 21:29
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:29
Apr 22, 2015, 21:29

NKD wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:19:
They called back and got one representative to admit customer service reps have been instructed to hang up after registering a ticket and giving that message.

Don't worry, I'm sure our local Rockstar fanboys will just say this was a miscommunication with the outsourced customer service and not in any way the fault of glorious leader Rockstar.

because we all know the rockstar devs actually take the customer service calls themselves

Apr 22, 2015, 21:19
NKD
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:19
Apr 22, 2015, 21:19
NKD

They called back and got one representative to admit customer service reps have been instructed to hang up after registering a ticket and giving that message.

Don't worry, I'm sure our local Rockstar fanboys will just say this was a miscommunication with the outsourced customer service and not in any way the fault of glorious leader Rockstar.

Apr 22, 2015, 21:15
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:15
Apr 22, 2015, 21:15

We are aware that unauthorized attempts have been made to access Rockstar Games Social Club accounts using email and password combinations sourced from unaffiliated, compromised websites or databases elsewhere on the internet. For the accounts affected, we are in the process of reverting those accounts back to their original owners. As a result, the ability to change email addresses for Social Club accounts has been temporarily disabled. See the following Rockstar Support article for more information here. As a reminder, it is a good policy to ensure that the Rockstar Games Social Club account username and password is not shared across multiple websites on the internet. For accounts affected with this issue, we are working to respond to customers to reinstate full user access within 24 hours of contacting Customer Support. Please continue to look to the Rockstar Support website for more information as it develops.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/204927218

Apr 22, 2015, 21:10
Cutter

Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:10
Apr 22, 2015, 21:10
 Cutter

"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 22, 2015, 21:06
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:06
Apr 22, 2015, 21:06

Hahaha. Suckers

Rockstar are the new Apple
"I hope those bastards get inoperable brain cancer that they have passed on to their children."
-RedEye9

Apr 22, 2015, 20:55
Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 20:55
Apr 22, 2015, 20:55

Rockstar is handling this poorly. It's highly unlikely they had a breach otherwise this would be more widespread. If an individual has a keylogger on their system (or has had at any time), it's not going to matter if it's a unique key.

But hanging up on people? That's just bad. I'm not entirely surprised though as Rockstar has really poor support.

Console accounts are just as much of a target as the accounts can be tested on the websites for those services.

Might be a good idea to turn the Rockstar mobile app into an Authenticator.
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older