Out of the Blue

Just want to say hats off to the tied-for first place New York Mets. I'm pretty sure nine games in is the latest in the season I've been able to say that for a long time, so you can't blame me for thinking I should get this in now before the bubble bursts.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Kill the Plumber.
Primal Champions.
Media: FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY'S IN REAL LIFE.
Impatient Driver Destroys Caravan. To poignant Donna Summer intro.
Dash cam reveals the human bouncing that happens inside a car crash. Thanks nin.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 16, 2015, 19:41
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 19:41
Apr 16, 2015, 19:41

1badmf wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 17:44:
dude i'm sorry, but you are trying way too hard to be the hipster star wars fan that's trying to revise the reputation of the prequels (and the originals). everything people have said about both is true - the prequels deserved to be lambasted for the two-dimensional tripe that they are, and the originals were visions of genius when they came out. i think you forgot the part where nothing like them had ever been seen before. all three originals rank among the best films ever made for various reasons, and Empire is personally in my top 5 films of all time. i think the reason you can't see the difference is because you seem to be completely blind to what is good and bad writing and acting.

The original was ok. Empire was actually good. Return was fucking horrible and everything else has sucked since.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 16, 2015, 18:57
nin
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 18:57
nin

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 18:32:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 18:07:
Visions of genius or no, my parents thought the original films were kiddie junk when they came out, and their opinion hasn't really mellowed with age. They're kind of condescending regarding the fact that I still like them now.

My mother took me to Star Wars opening night when I was seven. The line was around the block. She loved it, and of course, so did I.

I think one of my earliest movies was my father taking me to Star Wars (epi 4). Seeing an aged Han Solo on screen, I couldn't help but think of him.

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 18:57

I have actually seen that jd it's pretty good There are lots of fun tear-downs of the new movies. My favorite is this guy.

I feel like I went way too far in that second post. I don't really mean to say that the original movies were bad... they just weren't the perfect miracles of filmmaking that they get trotted out to be. People are overly critical of the prequels for a lot of reasons that could easily be applied to the original movies. Making a prequel is kind of shallow from a plot perspective no matter what you do because you know the outcomes of all of the players involved.

Should they have been better? Do I wish they were better? Yes, of course... I just don't act like they were the worst thing to ever grace the screen. That's not necessary. With any luck the new movies will blow us all away. Looks good so far.

Apr 16, 2015, 18:32
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 18:32
Apr 16, 2015, 18:32

Orogogus wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 18:07:
Visions of genius or no, my parents thought the original films were kiddie junk when they came out, and their opinion hasn't really mellowed with age. They're kind of condescending regarding the fact that I still like them now.

My mother took me to Star Wars opening night when I was seven. The line was around the block. She loved it, and of course, so did I.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 16, 2015, 18:29
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 18:29
Apr 16, 2015, 18:29

descender wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 17:48:
all three originals rank among the best films ever made for various reasons

Well, no... they really don't. I think you fail to see the shocking similarities between the 2 trilogies due to your fanboy "visions of genius" goggles.

Critically examined, they just aren't very good movies. That they only hold up "because it hadn't been done before" is not impressive 30 years later in any way. Nothing could be more "hipster" than that sort of thinking... so you're way off base in your accusations. You are welcome to respond to the reasons I listed as to why they were overrated, but you are not welcome to blanket dismiss the entire post with childish insults.

I expected some push back when I basically posted that our childhood sci-fi movie du jour isn't all it's cracked up to be... but to be called "hipster" for not liking something due to nostalgia is just mind boggling. And I am not saying I don't love me some Star Wars, I was pretty clear about the fact that I do love it... they just aren't all they are cracked up to be and the 2 trilogies are really not that different in the end.

Descender, the original movies are great not because they had shit that "had never been done before." They are great movies because the plot, characters, world building, pacing, dialog, and effects combine seamlessly to create a fantastic experience that transcends the individual parts from which they are created.

There are absolutely things to like in the new trilogy (some great action scenes, for example), but as whole experiences they are patently inferior to the original trilogy. Characterization is weak, the plot is often overly complex, world building is hit or miss (midichlorians? really?), dialog can be stilted, and the pacing is uneven.

Please watch Red Letter Media's analysis of episode 1. It's a hilarious piece of entertainment in its own right and uses other movies, especially A New Hope, to show what the movie specifically got wrong.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 16, 2015, 18:07
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 18:07
Apr 16, 2015, 18:07

Apr 16, 2015, 17:48
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 17:48
Apr 16, 2015, 17:48

all three originals rank among the best films ever made for various reasons

Well, no... they really don't. I think you fail to see the shocking similarities between the 2 trilogies due to your fanboy "visions of genius" goggles.

Critically examined, they just aren't very good movies. That they only hold up "because it hadn't been done before" is not impressive 30 years later in any way. Nothing could be more "hipster" than that sort of thinking... so you're way off base in your accusations. You are welcome to respond to the reasons I listed as to why they were overrated, but you are not welcome to blanket dismiss the entire post with childish insults.

I expected some push back when I basically posted that our childhood sci-fi movie du jour isn't all it's cracked up to be... but to be called "hipster" for not liking something due to nostalgia is just mind boggling. And I am not saying I don't love me some Star Wars, I was pretty clear about the fact that I do love it... they just aren't all they are cracked up to be and the 2 trilogies are really not that different in the end.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2015, 17:57.

Apr 16, 2015, 17:44
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 17:44
Apr 16, 2015, 17:44

dude i'm sorry, but you are trying way too hard to be the hipster star wars fan that's trying to revise the reputation of the prequels (and the originals). everything people have said about both is true - the prequels deserved to be lambasted for the two-dimensional tripe that they are, and the originals were visions of genius when they came out. i think you forgot the part where nothing like them had ever been seen before. all three originals rank among the best films ever made for various reasons, and Empire is personally in my top 5 films of all time. i think the reason you can't see the difference is because you seem to be completely blind to what is good and bad writing and acting.

Apr 16, 2015, 16:41
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 16:41
Apr 16, 2015, 16:41

I believe it'll probably be even worse than that.

You believe everything will be worse than everything. Why carry that attitude through life? What reason is there to "believe" the new movies will be bad? None. Can't you just wait to watch them and have an unbiased opinion formed at the time? Of course you are going to end up hating them if you go into the movie wanting to hate them.

I don't believe that the prequels were actually that bad, it's just become popular to pile on. Guess what... in a lot of ways the original movies were pretty bad too. Hamil was awful, and every bit as whiny as people complain about the younger Anakin (like father... like son?). His transformation from desert dork to bad-ass jedi is almost nonexistant. He is basically the same awkward and unbelievable protagonist at the end of the 3rd movie that he was at the beginning of the first. The dialog was cheese-ball 101. Boba Fett is a ridiculously overrated fan-favorite... he has almost no identity in the original trilogy and one of the lamest deaths in the history of movies. The saber duels were... uhg. Empire (the greatest blah blah of all time) didn't even have an ending. Return was really slow and boring aside from the opening sequence when they rescue Han. Also... Ewoks. W T F? At least JarJar wasn't an obvious merchandising tie-in.

Are you going to honestly tell me that the prequels were any worse than the originals? I'm pretty sure they are all just poorly written/directed movies. The original trilogy really only holds up under a nostalgia colored lens.

I am excited for the new movies, just as i was excited for the prequels, just as I was excited when I saw Return in the movie theaters as a kid. Fun action Sci-Fi... nom nom nom. Try not to overthink it.

Apr 16, 2015, 16:34
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 16:34
Apr 16, 2015, 16:34

Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 15:38:
Really? You honestly think it's not going to suck honkin huge big fat donkey balls? Because I believe it'll probably be even worse than that.

I'm honestly not a big fan of J.J. Abrams but I have more faith in his ability to bring an entertaining piece of work over than anything George Lucas touched since TESB. Star Wars seems to be a better fit for him than Star Trek since he doesn't have to rework it to suite a more action-oriented vision of the universe which may put off some viewers as it did in Star Trek.

He just needs to stay away from the usual shit like creating an unnecessary amount of often stupid subplots without offering any kind of explanation or payoff.

Apr 16, 2015, 16:25
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 16:25
Apr 16, 2015, 16:25

Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:34:
I have been that guy inside that car more than once and it is not fun. I don't even like to drive anymore. Too many people are on cell phones and crap now.

Me too, three times in fact.

But last one was 10 years ago.. And it was a semi-truck ran a red light and t-boned me going ~35 mph. (50 km/hr where I live).

Luckily for me, he had an aftermarket front wildlife protector on his truck so it caused my car to flip away from his vehicle instead of going under (which would have killed me).

Anyways, I tore lots of muscles/ligaments in my back and neck and had a minor concussion from that accident which took 2 years of physio to recover from. Watching that video made me feel sorry for that guy but also that he was very lucky that the truck coming at him was going so slow. Still, he probably has a good 3 months of bad sleeps ahead of him from the pulled muscles he'll have during that bouncing.

Apr 16, 2015, 15:46
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 15:46
Apr 16, 2015, 15:46

Verno wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 14:39:
I have been that guy inside that car more than once and it is not fun. I don't even like to drive anymore. Too many people are on cell phones and crap now.

Yeah it drives me nuts when I see people in my rearview whose heads are staring down into their lap while we're driving at 60-75mph. I've never understood the driving/texting thing, listen to music or whatever you can do without distracting yourself and putting everyone in danger. I wish there was a mandatory licensing thing where you had visit the car crash subreddit so people could see what happens when they fuck around too much in the car.

This PSA by famous documentarian Werner Herzog, and this British one should both be mandatory viewing during driver's ed and license renewal.

Apr 16, 2015, 15:38
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 15:38
Apr 16, 2015, 15:38

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 14:27:
The second teaser trailer to Star Wars is pretty awesome. Right in the nostalgia!

Really? You honestly think it's not going to suck honkin huge big fat donkey balls? Because I believe it'll probably be even worse than that.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 16, 2015, 15:36
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 15:36
Apr 16, 2015, 15:36

Fuck John Williams and his incredible musical talent. Those themes in that trailer make me want to go see that movie RIGHT NOW regardless of how good it actually is.

Apr 16, 2015, 14:39
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 14:39
Apr 16, 2015, 14:39

Yeah it drives me nuts when I see people in my rearview whose heads are staring down into their lap while we're driving at 60-75mph. I've never understood the driving/texting thing, listen to music or whatever you can do without distracting yourself and putting everyone in danger. I wish there was a mandatory licensing thing where you had visit the car crash subreddit so people could see what happens when they fuck around too much in the car.

Apr 16, 2015, 14:35
nin
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 14:35
Apr 16, 2015, 14:35
nin

The second teaser trailer to Star Wars is pretty awesome. Right in the nostalgia!

Poor Peter Mayhew looked like he was having a hard time. I knew he walked with a staff, but...feel bad for him. I'm guessing we'll have a stunt-Chewbacca for some shots...

And I'd not seen Carrie Fisher in I don't know when...

Apr 16, 2015, 14:31
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 14:31
Apr 16, 2015, 14:31

I want to remind myself the trailers for the prequels looked good too. I want to remember the mess that was Crystal Skull/Old Indy. But damnit, they just keep dragging me back in. And Battlefront will finally get its proper reveal tomorrow too.

Apr 16, 2015, 14:27
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 14:27
Apr 16, 2015, 14:27

Apr 16, 2015, 13:34
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 13:34
Apr 16, 2015, 13:34

Apr 16, 2015, 13:04
nin
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 13:04
Apr 16, 2015, 13:04
nin

starwars.com stream is up - hoping for a trailer.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older