Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month

The Path of Exile website is counting down the nine days until the commencement of closed beta testing of The Awakening, an upcoming expansion for Grinding Gear's action/RPG, and those interested in testing can sign up on this page. They don't actually offer much on the add-on, deferring to various outlets who are covering the news, so thanks to MisterBenn for pointing to a write-up on Gamepedia with lots of details on the add-on and a first look trailer. He also did a nice job of highlighting these details:

• New Act 4
  • 11 new skills, 9 new boss fights, 90 new unique items
  • Closed Beta opening on April 20 (by application, starting small and getting extended)
  • Passive tree rework
  • Ability to socket new Jewels into the passive tree for special effects in nearby area
  • Rework of existing content
  • New quality of life additions
  • Script-able loot drop filter to completely customise filter/colour/highlight/border/sound of drop levels
  • Net code rewrite! New Lockstep mode available, offering a "wait for server and only show the truth" mode on top of the existing "prediction + desync" mode!

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 17:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Redmask wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:36:
Talkin about the game for a change, I didn't like Path of Exile. The gameplay is flat and unentertaining, it felt like a bare notch above your average Kickstarter project. What it did have was great depth in mechanics, I had more fun reading and planning builds than I did actually playing the game. Depth of systems is great and this is where it excels but you need more than that. I hear they have been patching in new content additions all the time and thats great but I've got 5 other great games to play and this one didn't grab me. Diablo had the opposite problem, enjoyable gameplay but shallow as a puddle.

Maybe one day I will play an ARPG that doesn't bore me to tears, hell I can't even play Diablo 2 anymore and the Grim Dawn alpha I played wasn't much fun. The Japanese ARPG games offer a much more visceral and challenging experience.

ARPGs aren't everyone's cup of tea. That said, I found GD pretty underwhelming too, but then it was still alpha when I tried it last too.

Like others have said, I think the early game in PoE is kinda slow, but really only for the first character you make. After that, you generally have decent gear and cheap uniques to boost you through those early levels on future characters. I kinda wish they'd find a way to let us do that on the first char as well, while still letting new players adjust to the mechanics.

Things don't really start getting interesting until you're in the 30s at least and start getting support gems and start picking up more build-defining tree nodes. They've added a lot of cool stuff in the past year. It's so much better now than it was at release.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2015, 17:35.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 16:54 descender

"Fuck the hell off" sounds like a great idea, Axis... why don't you get on that.

Everyone else here seems to be capable of rational conversations. You seem incapable of anyone criticizing what is obviously your favorite game in any way, then you derail and attack and generally just ruin the day.

Grow some thicker skin before you try to internet again kid. (and yes, that was intentional... because you act like a fucking 6 year old in here).

68. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 16:10 Redmask

You guys should just add each other to ignore, it would instantly improve the quality of the BBS here. I get called a troll for trying to talk about the game, ok sounds good thanks for the comedy Rolleyes  

67. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 15:54  Verno 

Actually that's not what I said, you conveniently snipped out huge chunks:

I've seen plenty of kids playing and I think its great that this game is free and gives them that opportunity. Great business model here, reminds me of Dota 2 and I hope other games aspire to it. I don't even play D3 and I don't care what you think of it TBH. Not sure why you're so weird about this game and try to force your opinion on everyone else, I didn't even quote or reference you in any way.

That's what I said. It was never intended to be derogatory, maybe you have that intention when you make the same comment about other games as you frequently do but I didn't. I genuinely admire F2P business models without P2W and think they are wonderfully accessible to many demographics. And I conveniently linked one of many posts where you say similar things about other games so /shrug. People have their own opinions on games, its not a troll to say something you don't care for. You were the one who instigated this by the way, I didn't address you at all.

Now we can all be adults and agree to move on but I'm not going to let you spin a false narrative with fake quotes.

Playing: Hades, Bloodborne, Total War: Warhammer 2,
Watching: Captain Blood, VFW, Mississippi Grind

66. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 15:49 Axis

Here's how it went cause none of you can bother to fucking read how shit goes down.

Verno says it's popular with twitch kids. I say:
lol nice try Verno, while I call kids games for what they are, PoE is not one of them. A simple check through PoE's site on the streamers I've never seen a single "kid" They simply couldn't grasp most of what the game offers - they like D3 type of stuff. :)

Not crazy batshit, not defensive, just light-hearted and factual. Now since *Verno* is a fucking defensive ass when it comes to anything I say no matter how it's said, he follows up with:

No need to get so defensive... I don't care what you think of it TBH... Not sure why you're so weird about this game and try to force your opinion on everyone else

And it went down from there, thanks to Verno making an asshole comment about forcing opinions after there were 3 pages of constructive feedback till he popped in and got stupid with his pals.

Now fuck the hell off -- so sick of you trolling assholes derailing threads. You have a problem with me, fine, but you aren't fooling anyone with this constant shit you pull.

Yours truly,

Axis

65. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 14:36 Redmask

When you say something is 'for kids' people will always construe that negatively unless you're talking about a Pixar film. No one needs to go crazy over that but did you see expect anything different from him?

Talkin about the game for a change, I didn't like Path of Exile. The gameplay is flat and unentertaining, it felt like a bare notch above your average Kickstarter project. What it did have was great depth in mechanics, I had more fun reading and planning builds than I did actually playing the game. Depth of systems is great and this is where it excels but you need more than that. I hear they have been patching in new content additions all the time and thats great but I've got 5 other great games to play and this one didn't grab me. Diablo had the opposite problem, enjoyable gameplay but shallow as a puddle.

Maybe one day I will play an ARPG that doesn't bore me to tears, hell I can't even play Diablo 2 anymore and the Grim Dawn alpha I played wasn't much fun. The Japanese ARPG games offer a much more visceral and challenging experience.

64. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 14:10  Verno 

I'm guessing it was the comment about kids on Twitch that set Axis off. Depends on whether you take it as a purely factual statement, or as snark (i.e. Seems popular with the Twitch kiddies.) Obviously he took it as the latter.

He's made the same type of comment in several other threads (D3, GW2, etc) so I don't see why it would unless he was trolling those. But I should've just ignored his usual BS so I'm sorry for my part in the derail. I'm older so I look at teens and sometimes early 20 somethings as "kids" by the way, its not intended to be derogatory.

I actually enjoyed my time with POE for the most part but grew bored with the combat. I'm glad they're doing well enough to keep making content for the fans though and maybe I'll check it out one day if my backlog ever finishes.

63. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 14:01 eRe4s3r

That's nice.. but none of that drops when you are or on the way to level 16 which is far as I give a game to wow me. This game just bored me to death. And the loot absolutely sucks

4 hours, level 16, 3 golden (1 usable), 0 legendaries (0 usable), 6 skills, 4 usable skills

The heck? Watching grass grow (the game) is more intersting than THAT.

Maybe should mention I play these games for loot ^^

62. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 14:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Jesus fuck. This thread went to crap. I was wondering how it picked up like 20 more posts since I checked last.

I'm guessing it was the comment about kids on Twitch that set Axis off. Depends on whether you take it as a purely factual statement, or as snark (i.e. Seems popular with the Twitch kiddies.) Obviously he took it as the latter.

In my experience playing over the past couple years, it's mostly adults playing. Have hardly run into any kids at all. All the streamers I've watched are adults as well. Don't have any scientific data to back it though.

Doesn't really matter anyway. Maybe D3 animations appeal more to the kids. I enjoy the gameplay in PoE.

Gotta keep focused on my backlog now until I get my beta invite!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

61. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:46 descender

Your act gets sadder by the day Axis. It's hilarious that you can't even come up with a reasonable response to the completely reasonable suggestion that F2P games benefit people without disposable income.

But hey, keep attacking people for no reason... it is really showing off your maturity. You must be a serious gamer because you are clearly capable of rational critical thinking and discussion.

60. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:43  Verno 

I'm straight but uh thanks for sharing that glimpse into your psyche Amazed

Also pretty sure descender and I disagree on a regular basis but ok, whatever plays into your delusion. I accept that this is your version of an apology.

59. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:40 Axis

Descender reaches around for verno.
Verno reaches around for descender.
Descender reaches around for verno.
Your turn Verno, your turn!
Now where's the other buffoons? Just you two today so far, great job on trolling you might fool a few!

Yours truly,

Axis

58. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:37 descender

Same tired Axis responses when he is clearly being an idiot.
Does anyone fall for this schtick anymore?

Verno, you should stop disagreeing with me so often if we're going to be the same person... it's not healthy.

57. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:34  Verno 

We're not the same person Axis but ok, if that's what makes you feel better. I graciously accept your apology for your mistake and insults over nothing, very mature of you.  

56. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:32 Axis

Same buffoons reaching around, different thread. Completely obvious.  

Yours truly,

Axis

55. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:27 descender

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit Axis.

He said it was a good game for kids because it is free. He didn't insinuate anything about the gameplay or styles or community, but you overreacted and went off the deep end anyway.

Kids generally don't have disposable income, so they can't buy every game they want... ergo F2P games are generally good options for them and this one returns pretty good value for your time invested. Was that so hard? It's about as straight forward and logical of a thought as one could have about F2P games.

You really prove him wrong about how much "kids" play this game though... by acting like one in every thread involving it on this website. Maybe being a child isn't so much about age as it is your general attitude towards... everyone else.

54. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:18  Verno 

You're just really upset I said something negative about the combat and animations but ok, we'll go with that smoke screen. Your weirdo personal beef with me would be funny if it didn't unnecessarily cause bullshit like this. Grow up.

Also pretty sure I've seen you making worse comments in Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 threads all the time, have an iota of introspection. At least I just offered my opinion and didn't troll unlike you.

53. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:15 Axis

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 10:10:
Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 10:08:
I said your assessment that poe is a kids game is wrong, and you, troublemaker, did what you came to do - cause trouble.

It's a good thing I never said POE was a kids game then but expecting you to actually read and comprehend text is obviously impossible.

Three pages of good discussion agreeing and disagreeing, overshadowed by Verno the troublemaker with a chip on his shoulder pissed I didn't agree with him. You be the judge...

Yours truly,

Axis

52. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:10  Verno 

Axis wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 10:08:
I said your assessment that poe is a kids game is wrong, and you, troublemaker, did what you came to do - cause trouble.

You seem to think I mean disney kids or something but that's just you trying to read too much into something in an effort to get all fired up. I was commenting on its business model you obsessive weirdo but whatever, this isn't worth the time. God forbid anyone else comment on a game Axis likes unless you lavish it with praise.

51. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 10:10  Verno 

Double post.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2015, 10:15.

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >