Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Grand Theft Auto V Preloads

It's not yet mentioned on the Rockstar Games website, but preloads began yesterday for preorders of the Windows edition of Grand Theft Auto V to pave the way for its release on April 14th. If you preordered the PC edition of the open-world action game, you should have received a key and instructions by now, so if you haven't it's time to ask why. The preloads are particularly appropriate in this case, as the download is 60 GB, and it's not always coming across at full speed (at times it is not even coming across at full modem speeds, though this is drastically improved today). Unfortunately the download process is going to put a hurting on your computer for the lengthy period it runs, as we see it here averaging about 25% usage on a quad-core CPU. For those at all CPU or bandwidth limited, getting the disc version seems advisable.
View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 12:16  Jivaro 

My only problem with Amazon "release day" delivery is definitely something most people would classify as a first world problem, but it's annoying nonetheless. I live at the end of the delivery route apparently. That means that I get my "release day" delivery at about 8:00pm. I like physical copies over digital and free shipping via my Prime membership is great so I put up with it. /shrug

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 09:11 MajorD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 18:41 :

They have been doing that for a few years, I tried it - they failed miserably and I will never do it again. I got my game 4 days late...

Hmmm....well, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Still counting...

54. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 08:12 SpectralMeat

I got mine from nuuvem for $37CDN which is like $10 US or something.
You'll need Hola in your browser in order to get it from nuuvem but the code you get is not region locked, it redeemed fine with my CDN Rockstar account and the English version of game preloaded.

Steam: SpectralMeat

53. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 9, 2015, 00:10 Mordecai Walfish

Xero wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 15:24:
I'm excited for those dishing out the $60 full price. I on the other hand will wait for a deal or price drop. Got plenty to stay busy with meantime.

greenmangaming just issued a 22% off code for GTAV:

SAVE22-ONGTAP-RELOAD

You still get all the preorder bonuses with that too.

52. No subject Apr 8, 2015, 20:47 Mashiki Amiketo

InBlack wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 09:59:
Yeah, strange that one. But that might be simply a poorly optimized installer. It's probably doing an integrity check on the fly.

That does appear to be what it's doing. Last night I was wondering why there was occasionally so much disk thrashing, so I decided to watch it for a bit via perfmon. It would max out one core, as it utilized between 80-100% of all bandwidth on the install drive.

DangerDog wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 17:03:
Using Rockstar's social club client to download the pre-load varies in speed from an abysmal 100kb/s to topping off at around 3.5 mb/s.

I never had it download under 4MB/s on my end, but it seemed to be pulling from a repository in Toronto and I'm a stones throw away from that(under 150km).

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

51. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 18:41 Retired

MajorD wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 16:23:
Krovven wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 15:43:
Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 10:21:
60 Gig. Heh. Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that I'm never gonna download that...

I'd ponder getting the disc version, except it says DVD rom, which would mean it'd be on, what, 10 discs? So I think that's more a box where inside all they have is a download code...

7 Discs according to this

Thanks for info. I'm a collector of boxed PC games, so I guess I'll get my moneys worth.

I ordered it from Amazon and they guarantee delivery on 'release day', which is cool. That seems like a recent thing....

They have been doing that for a few years, I tried it - they failed miserably and I will never do it again. I got my game 4 days late...

50. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 18:37 Retired

Blue wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 10:09:
Quinn wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 10:04:
Man, I hope this installer has a proper fail-safe. Imagine you're at 58GB and your house has a power-outage. Oh, the rage..

It does... mine would drop the connection repeatedly and reconnect. This seems to be working better now: Most of yesterday the download crawled (at one point it literally estimated it wouldn't be done before the game was released), but it finished up pretty quickly today.

I would be more concerned as to the reason I lost power....as it is very rare...

49. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 18:00 Creston

MajorD wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 16:23:
I ordered it from Amazon and they guarantee delivery on 'release day', which is cool. That seems like a recent thing....

Nah, they've had that for ages. It's pretty sweet.

48. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 17:58 NKD

Gib007 wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 17:48:

Hopefully the game is good and not a crappy port like GTA IV was.

Yeah if only there was some way to know before buying if a port was decent...

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

47. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 17:48 Gib007

CJS CDKeys buyer here. IF I get my key before the release date, I'll preload. Otherwise, I'll have to wait it out.

Hopefully the game is good and not a crappy port like GTA IV was.

46. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 17:16 jacobvandy

Pre-loaded on Steam yesterday in under 90 minutes.. That extra $12 was well spent!  

45. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 17:03 DangerDog

Using Rockstar's social club client to download the pre-load varies in speed from an abysmal 100kb/s to topping off at around 3.5 mb/s.

44. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 16:42 JayDeath

60 Gig. Heh. Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that I'm never gonna download that...

I'd ponder getting the disc version, except it says DVD rom, which would mean it'd be on, what, 10 discs? So I think that's more a box where inside all they have is a download code...

Ha!

Steam: BenRichards

43. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 16:23 MajorD

Thanks for info. I'm a collector of boxed PC games, so I guess I'll get my moneys worth.

Still counting...

42. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 15:51 Creston

Awesome, thanks man!

41. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 15:43 Krovven

40. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 15:24 Xero

I'm excited for those dishing out the $60 full price. I on the other hand will wait for a deal or price drop. Got plenty to stay busy with meantime.  

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Ion Fury, Dishonored

39. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 15:21 DG

Looks like I need to get around to getting that new SSD before I can install this... Does it look like I can begin pre-load now and shift it from HDD to new SSD after it's done downloading?  

38. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 15:06 MajorD

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 14:57:
If I am wrong I'll buy your card for $100 and you can upgrade to a 980 or TitanX

LOL, NICE!!!

Still counting...

37. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 14:57 SpectralMeat

MajorD wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 14:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 14:46:
MajorD wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 14:43:
I'm running an i7-2600K (4.5GHz), 780ti, and 16GB RAM. Thinking2
Oh you'll be fine. 780Ti is still a really fast card. The rest of the specs are top notch too so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to max out most settings.
I mean the 780Ti is faster than the 970 around the same speed as the 980 in certain games.
Link

Thanks for info. If you're wrong, you're going to hear about it. Wink

If I am wrong I'll buy your card for $100 and you can upgrade to a 980 or TitanX

Steam: SpectralMeat

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >