GOG.com Internet Speed Testing

GOG.com is asking for some cooperation to help them provide better download speeds in the future:
For a better tomorrow.
It's no secret that GOG.com (the platform and the community gathered around it) is growing at an exceptional rate all around the world. We're trying to keep that in mind as we look for new ways to improve our service for everyone. Obviously, one of the most important functions for all of you is downloading your games - preferably as fast and as reliably as possible.

For some of you this might sound familiar (yep it’s our 3rd time!), once again we are in the process of benchmarking various download locations and trying to get the most representative sample of worldwide results. That means wee need to look at as many unique ISPs / cities / countries as possible, and we need a little help from you! Below you will find a simple test that requires just one click and won't take more than 2 minutes of your time to complete:

2015 CDN TEST
Your help is greatly appreciated here! Of course you can run the test as many times as possible (preferably at different locations and different times of day). Oh, and keep in mind that we used a little bit of Flash in this test, so if you want to participate please make sure you have the flash player installed and/or you are not using any flash blocking plugins in your browser.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing
Apr 6, 2015, 10:39
Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 6, 2015, 10:39
Apr 6, 2015, 10:39

Don't be silly You can't base that on 1 random troll.. I started with 14.4 modems so to me anything before that is like mythical fantasy...

Did run dual ISDN lines though back when phone contracts allowed you unlimited usage.. haha those fools.

Apr 5, 2015, 23:38
Rigs

Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 5, 2015, 23:38
Apr 5, 2015, 23:38
 Rigs

Aside from missing my point (completely in the two removed posts, apparently), I didn't mention BBS's because it wasn't really relevant to my story. But, yes I spent untold numbers of hours on local BBS's through out the years, especially after coming down to FL where it was quite prevalent. I played a lot of VGA Planets and some other rudimentary 'games' like Drug Wars and a 'pimp simulator'... *ahem*. I even managed to meet another girl on there, one of few that ventured onto BBS's or knew they existed to begin with. We ended up writing back and forth for a while but that was about it. Like most girls in my area in their late teens in FL, she became pregnant and then had issues with her boyfriend/baby's father. I kinda slowly and quietly walked away from it from there on, I didn't want to get involved.

Anyway, yes, I went from a 2400 baud to a 14.4 and then on to a 56k within a short number of years. Ironically enough, they were all eventually knocked out individually by lightning...another FL staple...

For the record, I spent the time to type out my experience because I thought others might enjoy hearing about it. From what I've read here, maybe I should just keep my posts short and to the point from now on. I'm apparently just wasting everyone's time...

=-Rigs-=
"...you're always 'Winner!' with BIG ****** RIGS!"-James Rolfe, 'AVGN'
"...for that, we salute you, you big glorious ****** RIGS!"-Matt McMuscles, 'Wha Happun?!'

removed
Apr 5, 2015, 10:07
removed Apr 5, 2015, 10:07
Apr 5, 2015, 10:07

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 5, 2015, 10:36.

Apr 5, 2015, 06:04
Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 5, 2015, 06:04
Apr 5, 2015, 06:04

Suppa7 wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 01:44:
Rigs wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 01:37:
.not to mention the $7.95 PER HOUR price after the 'complimentary' 10 hours for signing up) and ol' CompuServe

=-Rigs-=

Which means we had stupid people like you feeding money to retarded criminal price gouging businessmen. It doesn't mean you're awesome, it means you are stupid with money just as the Steam/MMO/F2P drm loving masses.

Wow, that escalated quickly....

No subject
Apr 5, 2015, 04:52
No subject Apr 5, 2015, 04:52
Apr 5, 2015, 04:52

Rigs wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 01:37:
You youngin's are a funny lot. I used to play on Genie back when it's competitors were Sierra's online network - TSN (which housed some really simple board games brought to digital, like Checkers and a rudimentary Red Baron online mode, which I never played because 2400 baud just didn't cut it even for simple-shaded polygons apparently...not to mention the $7.95 PER HOUR
=-Rigs-=

Well if we want to get into the olde stuff. The first modem I had was 1200 baud, it was the people who didn't know what a BBS was that used things like AOL, Compuserve and so on anyway. The rest of us were quite happy, and we got by without having to drop money on those things. Never mind that all those things were door programs on most BBS's, and of course we can't forget that those doors also had cross-BBS competitions. BRE, FRE, LORD, dozen or so other games. Though I met plenty of people though the boards and even hooked up with a girl in another city when I was a teen.

It was the people on the craptacular stuff that caused eternal september. Usenet was never the same again after that.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

removed
Apr 5, 2015, 01:44
removed Apr 5, 2015, 01:44
Apr 5, 2015, 01:44

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 5, 2015, 10:35.

Apr 5, 2015, 01:37
Rigs

Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 5, 2015, 01:37
Apr 5, 2015, 01:37
 Rigs

You youngin's are a funny lot. I used to play on Genie back when it's competitors were Sierra's online network - TSN (which housed some really simple board games brought to digital, like Checkers and a rudimentary Red Baron online mode, which I never played because 2400 baud just didn't cut it even for simple-shaded polygons apparently...not to mention the $7.95 PER HOUR price after the 'complimentary' 10 hours for signing up) and ol' CompuServe (which I never tried because I was too busy having fun over on *Prodigy)...Like Sierra's TSN, Genie had a per-hour rate after your free hours were done, though I recall you did get a few free hours each month. You used those hours quickly, too, because it was a blast to play AirWarrior (which didn't have the lag issues that Red Baron did, for some reason) and Cyberstrike, the only online Mech game that truly felt like a Mechwarrior first-person online simulation. None of this arcade Mechwarrior Online bullshit or HAWKEN's...whatever it is HAWKEN tries to do. The graphics were simple and clean, to the point and the game was intricate and fun. What more could you want? And you usually had plenty of people to play against, too, even with the outrageous costs.

And speaking of costs, when I was a young teenage user of *Prodigy, we lived pretty far away from the closest dial-up number, two counties, 45-minutes away, to be exact. Might as well have been on the other side of the country. Every call cost 25 cents PER MINUTE, plus a 25 cent first minitue connection fee (this was in early 1993). Our first phone bill came in at a whopping $450! Suffice to say, my parents were NOT happy. There was a lot I had to do to work that one off! But at the same time, they knew very little about computers and online at the time, so they told me to stop getting online...and, being 13, with access to girls from around the country via *P's 'Bored Teen' bulletin boards...well, that lasted all of a week or so. I made small, quick connections but it still racked up because of that connection fee. The next month's bill? $325. At this point I was actually talking to a girl in Kentucky (I lived in northern NJ) on the phone on a regular basis in addition to getting onto *P so instead of killing my budding social life, such as it was, my parents allowed me only so much time to do either but I was required to pay it back at the end of the next month before I could do it all again. The next bill was only $150 and things were good until April...when disaster struck.

One night, after getting online, I had thought I'd logged off but the software I had would automatically re-connect unless you told it not to (being out in the wilderness with bad lines, I had enabled this option because I got disconnected often) and since I didn't actually turn off the system (I was tired and not paying attention), *P connected, stayed on until booted off for inactivity, which was typically 10 mins and then re-connected, over and over and over... ALL NIGHT! May's phone bill came in at over $700 and that was the death knell for my young online social career through Prodigy and by extension, Genie. I never did get onto Prodigy again, even when we moved to FL and had a local number to connect to. Prodigy closed up not long after that anyway. Never met the girl from Kentucky in person, either... *sigh* Sigh

So...uh, what were we talking about again?

=-Rigs-=
"...you're always 'Winner!' with BIG ****** RIGS!"-James Rolfe, 'AVGN'
"...for that, we salute you, you big glorious ****** RIGS!"-Matt McMuscles, 'Wha Happun?!'

No subject
Apr 5, 2015, 00:29
No subject Apr 5, 2015, 00:29
Apr 5, 2015, 00:29

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 22:25:
Maybe he only played Commander Keen and the original Loom? Don't judge ^^
Well I guess it's not our fault they're still stuck on 14.4k
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Apr 4, 2015, 23:04
Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 4, 2015, 23:04
Apr 4, 2015, 23:04

That blue bar reminded me of my AOL days, always waiting for "new art".

Apr 4, 2015, 22:25
Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 4, 2015, 22:25
Apr 4, 2015, 22:25

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 18:23:
JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 15:19:
Sweet, we'll be able to download 20 mb games so fast now!!!!!!!
I didn't know the wing commander, Freespace, NWN, the witcher, etc., games were 20mb.

Maybe he only played Commander Keen and the original Loom? Don't judge ^^

Apr 4, 2015, 21:52
Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 4, 2015, 21:52
Apr 4, 2015, 21:52

I tried running the test, but it hung on the second batch - they never started.

I'll admit it; I got lazy and moved on.

Sitting on a 190 Mbps connection and loving it,
Ray All the places with bottlenecks stand out. Quite painfully so.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Apr 4, 2015, 18:30
Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 4, 2015, 18:30
Apr 4, 2015, 18:30

I ran the test, but I didn't receive a lollipop. I think something's broken...
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

No subject
Apr 4, 2015, 18:23
No subject Apr 4, 2015, 18:23
Apr 4, 2015, 18:23

JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 15:19:
I didn't know the wing commander, Freespace, NWN, the witcher, etc., games were 20mb.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Apr 4, 2015, 17:29
Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 4, 2015, 17:29
Apr 4, 2015, 17:29

Mine test just kept going and going and going. Look, I know my internet sucks but you don't have to rub it in...

Apr 4, 2015, 17:11
emgarf

Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 4, 2015, 17:11
Apr 4, 2015, 17:11
 emgarf

Blah blah blah Flash player... ignore.

Apr 4, 2015, 15:19
Re: GOG.com Internet Speed Testing Apr 4, 2015, 15:19
Apr 4, 2015, 15:19

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older