Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning

A post on Polygon discusses a serious bug in Pillars of Eternity, though visiting the links they provide to the thread about the issue and Obsidian's reply bring up pages saying they are currently experiencing "scheduled downtime," so they may be busy fixing this at this very moment. In any event, here's an outline of the problem so you can avoid falling victim to it:
Pillars of Eternity, the crowdfunded throwback to the great Infinity Engine role-playing games of yesteryear, has a game-breaking bug that developer Obsidian is working to fix. Meantime: Do not double-click items to equip them to your character. Drag them to a slot in the inventory screen.

Double-clicking, for some reason, removes all passive, racial and permanent buffs forever. While players may reload an old save and proceed just fine, obviously that forsakes any progress between that save and triggering the bug.

The bug is described at length in this thread on Obsidian's official forums. In this reply, an Obsidian developer says that they do have a fix for the bug and that they're "trying to make it retroactive, so it will fix any save games that have this problem."

If the bug strikes party members, removing them from the party and then adding them back seems to fix the problem. Others report that though passive buffs do not show up, they appear to still be present and working.
View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. No subject Mar 31, 2015, 18:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Stanly Manly wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 16:59:
Hah, yeah I missed him too. I talked with him, but he didn't have any interest in joining my party. Maybe I chose the wrong option. I kept readying about people describing him as a super tank. I just ended up making a pair of fighters at the inn.

Stuff:

You only get him if you talk to him first, then goto the inn, rest, then go back to the tree. If the dialog doesn't fire when you walk away talk to him again and you'll get a chance to pick him up as a companion.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 16:59 Stanly Manly

Ceribaen wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 13:56:

That said, I'm still having fun with it... probably going to reroll whenever some of these major items are worked out as I actually missed Eder early on somehow.

Hah, yeah I missed him too. I talked with him, but he didn't have any interest in joining my party. Maybe I chose the wrong option. I kept readying about people describing him as a super tank. I just ended up making a pair of fighters at the inn.

57. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 16:22  PHJF 

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 11:18:
Redmask wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 07:15:
Anyone else feel like Paladin is a bit underwhelming?

Here's my blanket statement of the day. All Paladin's suck. It's a cheap fighter and a very cheap Priest. Yes they are weak in this game and all games unless that is all you can be and it is called Paladin: Savior of Mankind.

Not sure I've ever been to a forum with fantasy classes where Paladin's were the shit. It is always a line of complaints about them.

Perhaps you'd like a word with THE HOLY AVENGER!?!?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

56. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 16:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ceribaen wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 13:56:
To be fair, Eder may actually currently be a super tank for you as a result of another bug

Hrm, that sucks, but it would explain a lot. Still, there are a lot of Flat and Percentage increases across the board if you put all the Defensive style perks on him, but I admit I have not added them up manually to make sure they are correct.

He's currently at 120 Deflection, and 80-90 on Reflex/Will/Fortitude, along with some decent Damage Reduction, Spell Reduction, etc. with the best gear I could find or make by level 9-10. Shield and Defensive 1 hander.

I am going to truck on through with this playthrough at any rate, and then wait a couple of weeks for them to do some patches, before I start my next guy.

Ranged rogue with a Benevolent/Honest/Clever soul works pretty well though.

Next character, Monk, Barb, or Cipher, with Devious/Cruel/Rational, I think.

55. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 13:56 Ceribaen

To be fair, Eder may actually currently be a super tank for you as a result of another bug

That said, I'm still having fun with it... probably going to reroll whenever some of these major items are worked out as I actually missed Eder early on somehow.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 21:05:
The double click bug is serious, the rest of the bugs seem to be on the level of typos and minor UI issues for the most part. I am curious as to what exactly is wrong with the Ranger pets? I've been using the NPC ranger on and off with no issues aside from the Fox being pretty weak early on.

Arguably even if you get that Double Click bug, you could still finish the game, masochistically of course. Just ranged combat everybody into oblivion with ease, Arbalests and Arquebuses to the rescue!

Level 8-9 currently with my ranged Rogue and mostly caster party, with Eder as a super tank, decimating pretty much the whole game at this point. I'm into Defiance Bay finally... probably should have come here much earlier. These enemies can't survive a Sneak Attack Arbalest bolt to the back. I'm down to level 9 in the Endless Dungeon too; excellent design, and it has made me want to replay with a Lore/Perception/Int based Cipher or Wizard next, just to try to pass some of the dialogue checks with the semi-hostiles down there.

Great game, don't let the bugs get you down!

54. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 12:29 CJ_Parker

Fuck the publi... oooh...  

53. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 12:15 Axis

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 11:20:
Axis wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 09:38:
Ya Verno hard is the way to go, once you get to the inn just make another 3 characters and you'll be good to go.

That way you can still recruit 2 "official" npc's as you play through without waiting to recruit a whole group.

After a person described to me Path of the Damned, I'm looking forward to trying it. It isn't just more HP/Damage, but new mobs to a point it supposedly gives you a more dynamic feel, fight to fight. Wish there was a way to change mid-game, I'm sure they'll be a mod/console/hack but not sure it will be in time.

Ya HS I agree -- I figured next playthrough will be my foray into that mode, hardcore min/max with most of the bugs ironed out and a mod or two hopefully.

Yours truly,

Axis

52. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 11:20 HorrorScope

Axis wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 09:38:
Ya Verno hard is the way to go, once you get to the inn just make another 3 characters and you'll be good to go.

That way you can still recruit 2 "official" npc's as you play through without waiting to recruit a whole group.

After a person described to me Path of the Damned, I'm looking forward to trying it. It isn't just more HP/Damage, but new mobs to a point it supposedly gives you a more dynamic feel, fight to fight. Wish there was a way to change mid-game, I'm sure they'll be a mod/console/hack but not sure it will be in time.

51. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 11:18 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 07:15:
Anyone else feel like Paladin is a bit underwhelming?

Here's my blanket statement of the day. All Paladin's suck. It's a cheap fighter and a very cheap Priest. Yes they are weak in this game and all games unless that is all you can be and it is called Paladin: Savior of Mankind.

Not sure I've ever been to a forum with fantasy classes where Paladin's were the shit. It is always a line of complaints about them.

50. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 10:53  Jivaro 

Not for nothing but....

I don't know what difficulty level you play on but generally speaking two wizards, two fighters, and a priest are going to fuck shit up in the first half of the game.

Just saying. You might be interested in variety and that's cool, but your party definitely isn't gimped. I only know because I did the same thing as you except I was a fighter to start with. I do totally get the dynamic thing though. It's a cool idea that I wish more games (just in general) considered.

49. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 10:08 descender

I wish the companion meetings were a little uh... dynamic?

I started as a wizard, I get to the first inn and meet a wizard companion. I go in the inn and create a fighter companion, I walk outside the inn to the next quest by the hanging tree... and meet a fighter companion. So frustrating, and I'm thinking of starting over at this point. Why make a fighter or wizard at all if they are the first two companions you meet within 30 minutes? Looks like there is also an official priest companion in the second area... does it make sense to wait on creating one of those until I get there? I looked it up and apparently there are no "official" rogue/barbarian/monk companions... so are those the only ones safe to create/play without doubling up a class in your party? Seems a little odd...

Long story short, I was a little shocked that it presented me with companions for classes I already had covered, it would be much more useful if it presented you with classes you didn't have early on in the game.

48. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 09:38 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

47. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 09:11 Verno

Finally had a chance to dive in the other night, was pleasantly surprised at the mix of voiced vs text dialogue. I made a Monk for kicks, they seem weird so far and the Wounds mechanic will definitely take some getting used to. I am really starving for a Priest already, getting my butt whooped on regularly on Hard.  

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

46. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 08:47 yuastnav

Have been waiting for this for a long time. Easter holiday is coming up in Germany and hopefully I'll have my PC ready when I go home on Friday. Have so many games to play.
Actually thought about getting Legend of Grimrock 2 but I guess I'll have my hands full with Life is Strange Episode 2 and Pillars of Eternity.

Also would like to finally use my Dirty Bomb closed beta key but no rig = no games. :/

Extended weekend cannot come fast enough.

45. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 08:25  nin 

John wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 01:44:
Dirwulf wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 01:22:
So your first premise is that I'm crying because I'm complaining about a bug. Then you go on to say all RPG's have a shit load of bugs, which is certainly a giant blanket of bullshit. So you just bend over and accept a load of bugs in your RPG's? Man, talk about indoctrinated.
It's not a giant blanket of BS though.. Most RPGs have many bug fixes in the first patch or even the first few patches sometimes. With such a large world and tons of quests there are always things the developers miss.

Yeah, don't feed the troll, man.

44. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 08:19 Axis

Didn't we post all about the gamebreaking bugs last week?

Not like this is news, I managed to get my PoE guy to 60 while waiting for some fixes...

Yours truly,

Axis

43. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 07:15 Redmask

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 01:22:
So your first premise is that I'm crying because I'm complaining about a bug. Then you go on to say all RPG's have a shit load of bugs, which is certainly a giant blanket of bullshit. So you just bend over and accept a load of bugs in your RPG's? Man, talk about indoctrinated.

'first premise' yeah I'm sitting here writing a thesis about your shitty posts. Games have bugs son. Sometimes people can still like a game that has bugs, it happens all the time. When you're an adult you learn to accept some of these things and it comes down to what pisses you off and what doesn't. I can live with something like this in a game that might not have ever seen the light of day in other circumstances. So fucking deal with it and stop your shitty trolling.

Anyone else feel like Paladin is a bit underwhelming? I am thinking I want my PC to be a Fighter next time, I envisioned Paladin as something else but other than my little burn damage hes kind of an inferior tank as far as I can tell. Those knockdowns are hella important.

42. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 05:27 Teddy

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 02:01:
So quantify your statement. Let me see your statistics.

You were the one who made the first blind claim with no proof. Let us see /your/ statistics. How many bugs are there, exactly?

There's a good reason many people have blocked you.

41. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 04:46 Vio

OF COURSE! that must be why I died in my path of the damned iron expert play through on my first try!

40. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 04:43 Vio

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 20:28:
This game is a bug filled mess right now
Your exaggerations are palatable.

PS: lol.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >