19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Mar 30, 2015, 22:13
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 22:13
Mar 30, 2015, 22:13

siapnar wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 21:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 20:11:
Would you expect Samsung to build proper desktop CPU's?
Even a rumour can cause a crazy spike.

Back before Activision Blizzard, I think Activision was going to buy Take Two if i recall correctly.

Take Two stock doubled in a day, then normalized

If there is one thing you can be sure is that AMD's stock will not double from that announcement Samsung would poach RnD personal and research data and that's it. Since AMD doesn't even have it's own FAB there is literally nothing of value aside from the people working there around. And Samsung is so filthy rich they could BUILD their own fab if they wanted and all they need is personal to fill the open positions.

And Samsung has already said they want to build their own CPU's, mobile ones, that is. So makes no sense to buy AMD aside from shredding it to pieces and take the best parts. Also you can take a guess what that means to the ATI part of AMD

Mar 30, 2015, 13:57
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 13:57
Mar 30, 2015, 13:57

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 10:46:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 16:44:
OH. MY. GOD.

So back from 1999 to 2003, I did on-site high-speed Internet installs for one of Canada's big telecartels. This was when most PCs didn't have network cards so our job was to go on-site with a cable guy, install a NIC, provision the modem, install our software (which we never did cause it was buggy crap that broke machines) and make sure everything worked. We were paid piecemeal per successful installation. If we couldn't get them online, we didn't get anything and if the customer's computer failed during the install for any reason, the company always sided with the customer and left us to fix it on our dime, even though the EULA said we weren't responsible for system damage.

You wouldn't believe how many installations I did in places just like the one in that story and in some cases, way worse. Think marijuana grow ops, places where there was literally 5-6 inches of garbage covering every square inch of the floor, apartment buildings where people regularly took dumps in the elevators, houses in low income neighbourhoods that strangely had leather couches, big screen TVs and pimped out Escalades in the driveway. At one install, I was the third tech as the previous two had walked away because the nearly 70 year old male customer was grabbing their asses while they worked (all the techs were male.) At another, I was in one of those dealer houses and the customer had a bunch of his "boys" surround my car outside as "protection" (which actually meant "You better not fuck this up or something will happen to your ride.") At two others, we saw young kids being forced to live in such squalor, we ended up calling the Children's Aid Society when we left.

In all these cases, we had to try to complete the work because not only would we not get paid if we walked away but when the customers inevitably complained, we would always get reprimanded for it. We were independent contractors and could be let go for any reason and the company was more concerned about successful numbers, both for investors and because this is when all the big telecartels were in a customer gain war so they wanted every install they could get. We actually walked away from the "garbage house" I mentioned above and we were strongly advised to go back and get the job done, even if it meant going in with garbage bags taped around our shoes. Those who refused either ended up with no calls for a few days or would get their calls suddenly staggered all across the city, often having to go back and forth multiple times a day (did I mention we paid all our own car expenses too?) Yeah, I really don't miss that place.

Disgusting customers are bad enough, but when the company treats you like shit too, that's the worst.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Mar 30, 2015, 10:46
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 10:46
Mar 30, 2015, 10:46

OH. MY. GOD.

So back from 1999 to 2003, I did on-site high-speed Internet installs for one of Canada's big telecartels. This was when most PCs didn't have network cards so our job was to go on-site with a cable guy, install a NIC, provision the modem, install our software (which we never did cause it was buggy crap that broke machines) and make sure everything worked. We were paid piecemeal per successful installation. If we couldn't get them online, we didn't get anything and if the customer's computer failed during the install for any reason, the company always sided with the customer and left us to fix it on our dime, even though the EULA said we weren't responsible for system damage.

You wouldn't believe how many installations I did in places just like the one in that story and in some cases, way worse. Think marijuana grow ops, places where there was literally 5-6 inches of garbage covering every square inch of the floor, apartment buildings where people regularly took dumps in the elevators, houses in low income neighbourhoods that strangely had leather couches, big screen TVs and pimped out Escalades in the driveway. At one install, I was the third tech as the previous two had walked away because the nearly 70 year old male customer was grabbing their asses while they worked (all the techs were male.) At another, I was in one of those dealer houses and the customer had a bunch of his "boys" surround my car outside as "protection" (which actually meant "You better not fuck this up or something will happen to your ride.") At two others, we saw young kids being forced to live in such squalor, we ended up calling the Children's Aid Society when we left.

In all these cases, we had to try to complete the work because not only would we not get paid if we walked away but when the customers inevitably complained, we would always get reprimanded for it. We were independent contractors and could be let go for any reason and the company was more concerned about successful numbers, both for investors and because this is when all the big telecartels were in a customer gain war so they wanted every install they could get. We actually walked away from the "garbage house" I mentioned above and we were strongly advised to go back and get the job done, even if it meant going in with garbage bags taped around our shoes. Those who refused either ended up with no calls for a few days or would get their calls suddenly staggered all across the city, often having to go back and forth multiple times a day (did I mention we paid all our own car expenses too?) Yeah, I really don't miss that place.
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Mar 30, 2015, 08:24
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 08:24
Mar 30, 2015, 08:24

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 06:04:
InBlack wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 04:03:
....when I was but a youngster, I used to supplement my income...

...my car (a Porsche 928S)...

Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that story.
Meh, my buddy from HS, his first job was in IT and he drove a Porsche 924 that his dad had gotten for him back when we were seniors.

The 928 cost easily three times as much as a same-year 924. Apples and oranges.

Mar 30, 2015, 06:04
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 06:04
Mar 30, 2015, 06:04

InBlack wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 04:03:

Meh, my buddy from HS, his first job was in IT and he drove a Porsche 924 that his dad had gotten for him back when we were seniors.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Mar 30, 2015, 04:03
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 04:03
Mar 30, 2015, 04:03

I have a nifty blue line!

Mar 30, 2015, 03:25
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 03:25
Mar 30, 2015, 03:25

Yup. Articles like that remind me why I hated my IT jobs so much I won't even work in that field anymore.

Mar 29, 2015, 22:20
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 22:20
Mar 29, 2015, 22:20

I had to clean out a PC that had a bunch of mice living in it one time. Hanta virus was on my mind the whole time.

Mar 29, 2015, 22:09
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 22:09
Mar 29, 2015, 22:09

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 21:49:
I saw that article like four days ago. There's no way Samsung is buying AMD. AMD won't sell on the crux of their possibly biggest launch since ATi's 4870. The 300 series is likely to net them some handsome profits. Why would they just hand that opportunity over to Samsung? It's not happening.

They would sell if it makes the shareholders money... because thats who calls the shots. Why they would hand over to Samsung is because Samsung has the capital to build factories over night, market products and get the chips into hands for cash. There is no sentiment in business.

Mar 29, 2015, 21:49
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 21:49
Mar 29, 2015, 21:49

I saw that article like four days ago. There's no way Samsung is buying AMD. AMD won't sell on the crux of their possibly biggest launch since ATi's 4870. The 300 series is likely to net them some handsome profits. Why would they just hand that opportunity over to Samsung? It's not happening.

Mar 29, 2015, 21:42
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 21:42
Mar 29, 2015, 21:42

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 20:11:
Even a rumour can cause a crazy spike.

Back before Activision Blizzard, I think Activision was going to buy Take Two if i recall correctly.

Take Two stock doubled in a day, then normalized

Mar 29, 2015, 20:11
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 20:11
Mar 29, 2015, 20:11

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 19:47:
Might be a good tip there to buy AMD stock.

Mar 29, 2015, 19:47
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 19:47
Mar 29, 2015, 19:47

Might be a good tip there to buy AMD stock.

Mar 29, 2015, 18:55
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 18:55
Mar 29, 2015, 18:55

*snip*

I can't even... no.. I can't... that's.. no.. just .. no

Mar 29, 2015, 16:44
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 16:44
Mar 29, 2015, 16:44

OH. MY. GOD.

From the article (not gonna quote since it's long and will be hard to read):

Several years back when I was but a youngster, I used to supplement my income by doing side jobs fixing and upgrading peoples computers. There was this lady I met sort of as an acquaintance of an acquaintance type thing. She said her computer wasn't working very well and neither was her scanner. She was wondering if I could take a look at it.

I got her address on an a bright Sat. morning I drove to the address, which turned out to be a very low income area which was known for prostitution and drugs. I found the address, a small paint peeled house and was met by a young guy with bright red hair and a big smile. I went into the home and was immediately taken aback by the piles of dirty laundry and trash in what appeared to be every room. The computer was in the kitchen area in a corner. I immediately noticed the food encrusted dirty dishes piled high and the floor was a weird shade of brown. I also noticed movement on the walls and then floor. It was roaching that were literally crawling around all over everything in broad daylight.

My instinct was to just run but my twisted sense of responsibility made me stay. I mean the lady was just as nice and polite as you could imagine. Her son was just as cordial and so was her daughter. There were even to small filthy little children sitting next to a mangy dog on the floor. The whole family was a sweet as could be and completely oblivious to the absolutely disgusting and deplorable state of their home and lives.

I made a quick analysis and troubleshooting holding my feet of the floor afraid roaches would crawl up my leg and told the lady I had to take her computer to my shop to get a better idea of what was the problem. I fortunately had trash bags in my car (a Porsche 928S) and put her computer in a bag, tied it tight and took it home.

When I got home I grabbed a can of RAID for roaches and dumped half a can in the bag and left it outside in the hot sun for several hours. After about 3 hours I figured whatever was in there should be dead. Even after 3 hours I still had to stomp on a couple of roaches that somehow survived. I proceeded to take the computer apart outside. I took the entire thing apart and the reason it was failing was the power supply was filled with cockroach feces and the floppy drive was stuffed with roaches that had been caught and squashed from the movement of the drive. I took the PS apart as well as the floppy drive.

I cleaned it all out and tested and surprisingly once free of roach crap and roach carcasses, it worked fine. I took it back and told them it should be working fine now and that it was just full or roaches. I figured it wouldn't be long before it was messed up again and I promised myself not to ever go see them again.

Mar 29, 2015, 16:24
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 16:24
Mar 29, 2015, 16:24

wtf_man wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 13:18:
I told a woman that she needed to plug in her monitor to the wall as the cleaning people had accidentally pulled it out. She told me that "it is not in her job description to plug things in." I had to get a maintenance person to drive over 40 miles to plug the damn thing into a wall outlet.

I would have told her, "Well then, Einstein, don't expect your monitor to work. >click<"

Dogbert's tech support at it's best.

Best one so far:

I once witnessed a co-worker use Bing to find Google to do a search. She was on the Support team.

Mar 29, 2015, 15:25
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 15:25
Mar 29, 2015, 15:25

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 15:12:
Early adopter: Microsoft’s Windows 10 will support up to 8K displays.

Yes, but will you be able to see or read anything?

Ultra high-def text! Every character intricately detailed with ten thousand pixels!

Mar 29, 2015, 15:12
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 15:12
Mar 29, 2015, 15:12

Early adopter: Microsoft’s Windows 10 will support up to 8K displays.

Yes, but will you be able to see or read anything?

Mar 29, 2015, 13:18
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 13:18
Mar 29, 2015, 13:18

I told a woman that she needed to plug in her monitor to the wall as the cleaning people had accidentally pulled it out. She told me that "it is not in her job description to plug things in." I had to get a maintenance person to drive over 40 miles to plug the damn thing into a wall outlet.

I would have told her, "Well then, Einstein, don't expect your monitor to work. >click<"

Dogbert's tech support at it's best.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older