Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week

A post on reddit opens up the thread to those looking for technical support with Pillars of Eternity in addition to what's offered on their Obsidian's Technical Support forum for the just-released role-playing game (thanks nin). That said, he indicates the official forums are probably a better place to start if you need help. He also points the way to a thread with workarounds for several known issues. There is also a Pillars of Eternity Support FAQ with word on patch plans, saying: "Yes, we're currently working on patch 1.03, which we hope to release during the week of March 30. We are actively monitoring the Technical Support forum and pulling issues out into our internal bug database."

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 19:01 Quinn

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 17:18:
Quinn wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 09:42:
Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 01:42:
nin wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 14:31:
Ouch. Do not double click equipment until this is patched. Drag and drop.

Damn, that's a really irritating bug... I think I may just wait with playing until the next patch is out.

Motherfucker! I realized my Fighter suddenly got weaker. Started missing a lot more. Found out I'm a victim of this gamebreaker. Fuck me...

WWhich sucks, as I notice you have A LOT of time in the game already.

Yeah, 16 hours by now! Haven't rerolled yet either. I'm a Fighter, and although he tanks fairly well, his damage output is mediocre. I haven't found a strong enough weapon yet, I guess. Still, it's bizarre.. I gave my second tank a bow and instead of between 2 and 10 damage he now does between 12 and 20. I wonder why my sword&shield class just can't seem to do any proper damage...

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 17:20 Retired

nin wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 13:17:

Damn, that's a really irritating bug... I think I may just wait with playing until the next patch is out.

Woot woot! Update. Hope it's this week.

sweet, but damn...
We do have a fix for this, and I'm trying to make it retroactive, so it will fix any save games that have this problem.

Deleted my saves. hahahaha oh well, wasn't that far anyway. Every time I start over I learn something new or do something better - not a big deal.

53. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 17:18 Retired

Quinn wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 09:42:

Motherfucker! I realized my Fighter suddenly got weaker. Started missing a lot more. Found out I'm a victim of this gamebreaker. Fuck me...

WWhich sucks, as I notice you have A LOT of time in the game already.

52. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 13:17 nin

Woot woot! Update. Hope it's this week.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

51. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 11:03 HorrorScope

Like D:OS, start a second game after a handful of hours and you can see how much you've learned from the initial blind start.

Cipher mops the floor with the rouge I had. Cipher is the strongest class I've played so far. Also I couldn't have picked worse spells for my Wizard the first time around.

Got the two NPC's asap, got two additional level 2 henchies, another Fighter and a Ranger with Bear, now you can keep the squishies light and fast as you have 3 tanks in front, feels like the NFL. So much cleaner.

Recommend:
The UI mod if just to move character/skills to front center, QoL.

Game runs good with a 50% + speed enhanced with cheatengine, since you want to sneak everywhere to find hidden things. Perhaps when I catch back up to where I was before I'll slow back down, but probably not.

Set Travel to auto-fast.

Set Combat speed to auto-slow.

Targeting - Low Endurance, Enemy Spotted, Character Attack, Target Destroyed. Works pretty well, still have to manual pause from time to time or it wants to stop too quickly.

IE UI Mod other Options of note: Disable Engagement and Moving Recovery Rate allow you to dance a lot more on the battlefield like the old games if you like that vs being locked down.

Tip: On each map make sure to find an click the Travel Icons on the game field, the first time I missed one and went a much more difficult path. Like D:OS and not knowing to go out the West Gate first issue.

50. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 09:59 Sho

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 09:21:
It's weird, you'd think a bug like that would get noticed in testing. I wonder if it was introduced in a late patch...

Yeah, it's likely this worked fine at some point and then regressed/broke when something about the internal code organization changed or similar. Chances are it's trivial to fix even. It's very easy to drop balls on the floor like this during a long development cycle; this is why you write a unit testing suite because you can't possibly test everything manually and need that safety net when making modifications. However, every developer wishes their test suite was more complete than it usually is, and automated GUI testing is particularly tricky.

Plus, frankly, while many game programmers are very smart cookies who can spot a bug in a Bresenham implementation from 5km away, they're almost equally as likely to be really inexperienced on process stuff like this (heck, even Carmack discovered static analysis late in his career). As a practical example, one nice way to do automated testing of something like a game is to make sure it's deterministic enough (at least has a deterministic mode) that the exact same input leads to the same state, so you can play back the same input twice and compare the resulting "save games" - if something changed you can take a look at why and whether you'd have expected it to. But that's something you need to think of ahead of time to some degree and code for, and many game teams don't, and then carry that technical debt forward.

It's just that balancing act between art and engineering.

49. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 09:47 panbient

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 09:21:
It's weird, you'd think a bug like that would get noticed in testing.

Yes and no. It's definitely a major issue and something they'll absolutely address now that it's been identified but it's technically not a game breaker or blocker (which is likely what their focus was nearing release). Odds are most of the QA playtime was spent in debug(god) mode and making sure the various story triggers fired appropriately depending on what path the Player chose throughout the game.

That's not to say the bug doesn't break a player's experience, but it doesn't stop the game from functioning or the player from progressing (even if it's at a potentially substantial disadvantage). Priorities and limited time frames after all, not an excuse, just a reality of software testing.

48. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 09:43 eRe4s3r

That coupled with several main quest dead-ends if you follow quests out of order and the absurd (and increasing!) load/save times I stopped playing for now...

All this game did to me so far was making me want to replay BG2 and IWD1/IWD2 with mods.... sigh. The Unity engine really does not look good in this game either.

47. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 09:42 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

46. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 09:21 Mr. Tact

It's weird, you'd think a bug like that would get noticed in testing. I wonder if it was introduced in a late patch...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

45. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 01:42 Creston

44. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 23:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Vex wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 22:20:
You can send everything to the stash by clicking the chest icon when the loot window is up and then hitting take all!

Oh, duh. Thanks.

43. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 22:20 Vex

You can send everything to the stash by clicking the chest icon when the loot window is up and then hitting take all!

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 18:04:
panbient wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 09:13:
I started as a Chanter and I'm liking it (focused on summons at the moment) . Takes a bit to get used to though I wouldn't call it bad. But I'm also definitely a spacebar spammer from lots of BG / NWN gaming.

I've had the NPC Chanter, Kana, in my party for a couple of levels now, and it seems like an extremely interesting class. Fights are lasting long enough now that he actually gets to cast a few spells after 3 phrases... the graphical effects are amazing, actual effects are... okay.

I love the chant mechanic, I just wish he chanted a little faster.

Also hope they add a sort button to the stash (or am I just missing the obvious?)

Stash Sort button is needed, as is some form of Force All Loot to Stash, I've tried a couple keys/mouse combos and nothing seems to work. I need every penny too, for that money sink of a Stronghold.

Wizard seems to improve a bit at level 5+, but Druid seems overall to be far more useful. Current party is a Ranged Rogue PC(Arbalests), Eder as Fighter 1h/Shield Tank, Kana as 2h Rifle/Estoc Chanter, Mad Priest with Pistols, Dwarf NPC Ranger(terrible pet choice, Obsidian!), and one eared Druid, who seems to have no weaknesses. The NPC druid's aim is good enough with an upgraded Arbalest, he is okay in humanoid form in melee, and beastly once shapeshifted. On top of that, most of the Druid spells seem superior to Wizard spells, and also with double or triple the casting range.

*EDIT* Typo.

42. No subject Mar 28, 2015, 19:38 Mashiki Amiketo

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 18:07:

I've got faith in the mod community though. This game is good enough to draw in all the old BG1/BG2/IWD modders, even if Obsidian doesn't release some proper mod tools for this game.

I'm very tempted to get back into modding with this(last serious modding I did was back in FO:NV, I don't count quick fixes and such in skyrim modding), I might even see if the backups for the lich transformation and quest mod that I was part of back in the BG2 days are recoverable...it's given me all kinds of nostalgia. Hell I might just make a new mod for it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

41. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 18:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 16:29:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 15:35:
Ta-da: UI mod is already out.

Thanks. I'd really love a mod that let's us edit the NPC followers. Yeah we can make our own but then we'll miss out on the all the other stuff.

It's practically guaranteed that there will be a NPC Follower Edit or Save Game Edit mod/tool for this game, but maybe not during the first week of release.

I've got faith in the mod community though. This game is good enough to draw in all the old BG1/BG2/IWD modders, even if Obsidian doesn't release some proper mod tools for this game.

40. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 18:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

panbient wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 09:13:
I started as a Chanter and I'm liking it (focused on summons at the moment) . Takes a bit to get used to though I wouldn't call it bad. But I'm also definitely a spacebar spammer from lots of BG / NWN gaming.

I've had the NPC Chanter, Kana, in my party for a couple of levels now, and it seems like an extremely interesting class. Fights are lasting long enough now that he actually gets to cast a few spells after 3 phrases... the graphical effects are amazing, actual effects are... okay.

I love the chant mechanic, I just wish he chanted a little faster.

Also hope they add a sort button to the stash (or am I just missing the obvious?)

Stash Sort button is needed, as is some form of Force All Loot to Stash, I've tried a couple keys/mouse combos and nothing seems to work. I need every penny too, for that money sink of a Stronghold.

Wizard seems to improve a bit at level 5+, but Druid seems overall to be far more useful. Current party is a Ranged Rogue PC(Arbalests), Eder as Fighter 1h/Shield Tank, Kana as 2h Rifle/Estoc Chanter, Mad Priest with Pistols, Dwarf NPC Ranger(terrible pet choice, Obsidian!), and one eared Druid, who seems to have no weaknesses. The NPC druid's aim is good enough with an upgraded Arbalest, he is okay in humanoid form in melee, and beastly once shapeshifted. On top of that, most of the Druid spells seem superior to Wizard spells, and also with double or triple the casting range.

*EDIT* Typo.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2015, 22:02.

39. No subject Mar 28, 2015, 17:11 Mashiki Amiketo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 16:58:
Yea I need to load that, when your weapon is ineffective early on, you are screwed. I use bows then switch to melee, but if that melee does no damage cause of the type - not a lot you can do, unless someone can enlighten me.

Best thing to do is find a couple of weapons that have "best" options. Which means you can stick to one or two, on the fighter in my party I have two weapon sets for him. One that's slash/pierce(warhammer) and the other is crush/pierce(sword) which covers it. If you're playing a SP game, the best thing you can do is pick up an extra weapon slot so you're covered.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

38. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 16:58 Retired

Yea I need to load that, when your weapon is ineffective early on, you are screwed. I use bows then switch to melee, but if that melee does no damage cause of the type - not a lot you can do, unless someone can enlighten me.

37. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 16:29 Cutter

Thanks. I'd really love a mod that let's us edit the NPC followers. Yeah we can make our own but then we'll miss out on the all the other stuff.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

36. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 16:12 Axis

Nice find Mash, I'm stopping PoET for now there's just too many gamebreaking bugs coming to light -- I'll play PoE till then.  

Yours truly,

Axis

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo