Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam

A tweet from John Smedley has word from the President of Daybreak, the developer formerly known as Sony Online Network, on the success of H1Z1 on Steam early access, saying the zombie game has sold over a million copies for PC on Valve's online store. He says: "We have sold over 1M copies of H1Z1 on Steam!" Thanks GameInformer.
View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 25, 2015, 06:47 Pr()ZaC

bobbyweenus wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 01:36:
You experienced it in other games? Fantastic. This is the game I experience it in. Am I dumb for enjoying something you don't enjoy?

Could you possibly be that pompous?
It's Bluesnews so... Yep!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 25, 2015, 01:36 bobbyweenus

You experienced it in other games? Fantastic. This is the game I experience it in. Am I dumb for enjoying something you don't enjoy?

Could you possibly be that pompous?

29. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 23:08 Trevellian

bobbyweenus wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 21:34:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 13:01:
Wetworks24 wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:40:
1 million people paying $20 for a game that's going to be free in several months.

This is what amazed me... it's fine to want to play H1Z1, but wtf, wait a few months and play it for free, maybe? Instead of paying to be a beta tester?

Come on now, gaming community!

I've been hardcore PC gaming since the mid 90s. I've been in more closed alphas and betas than I could even recall, and I paid to test H1Z1. I have faith in the long term direction of the game, and I don't mind contributing to it. What I wanted was a game that takes the zombie survival design, makes it a bit more fun, on an engine that runs better than the Arma engine, it's delivered that 10 fold for me so far.

I mostly play Survival, not BR. There are tons of Survival servers, with tons of players on them. BR is fun, but my love for the game is in the base building aspects of it, and the long term PVP. In just the last few weeks, my group has feuded with a very large Taiwanese clan, three different groups of players similar to us, and most recently, we started getting into skirmishes with a large group that has a massive base near us. Finally we had enough, walked right through them, blew the lid off of their base, and made it our own.

Winning BR is fun, and feels like a nice accomplishment, but nothing compares to telling an enemy that had been talking shit to you, that the base they and their group had spent days building, now belongs to you.

I imagine the streamers are mostly playing BR because that's what gets views.

Anyone who enjoys the survival gameplay is playing it or looking into relevant info about it, not watching a streamer play it.

Basically, most of what I see in this thread are people who genuinely don't have a leg to stand on, spouting off shit they read from knee jerk reacting children on reddit.

I have 20 legs to stand on as I spent my money to test the game as well so don't tell me my opinion isn't valid. I've been BETA testing games since the original EQ and DAOC with probably over a 100 beta tests and Early Access games since. Doesn't mean that H1Z1 is finished, because it's not, and it sickens me they want to change the business model that was advertised after roping in a million customers willing to test their game. It's a shitty tactic no matter how you look at it, you can defend that all you want. I play Survival mode with my clan, but the reality is it doesn't provide anything I haven't done before in a game, base building? Done it, feuding? Done it. BR gives a sense of accomplishment as it has an actual end goal. That is why it is popular and Survival not so much. Theres a reason they had to add more BR servers when the community complained about queue times.

-C22

28. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 21:34 bobbyweenus

1 million people paying $20 for a game that's going to be free in several months.

This is what amazed me... it's fine to want to play H1Z1, but wtf, wait a few months and play it for free, maybe? Instead of paying to be a beta tester?

I've been hardcore PC gaming since the mid 90s. I've been in more closed alphas and betas than I could even recall, and I paid to test H1Z1. I have faith in the long term direction of the game, and I don't mind contributing to it. What I wanted was a game that takes the zombie survival design, makes it a bit more fun, on an engine that runs better than the Arma engine, it's delivered that 10 fold for me so far.

I mostly play Survival, not BR. There are tons of Survival servers, with tons of players on them. BR is fun, but my love for the game is in the base building aspects of it, and the long term PVP. In just the last few weeks, my group has feuded with a very large Taiwanese clan, three different groups of players similar to us, and most recently, we started getting into skirmishes with a large group that has a massive base near us. Finally we had enough, walked right through them, blew the lid off of their base, and made it our own.

Winning BR is fun, and feels like a nice accomplishment, but nothing compares to telling an enemy that had been talking shit to you, that the base they and their group had spent days building, now belongs to you.

I imagine the streamers are mostly playing BR because that's what gets views.

Anyone who enjoys the survival gameplay is playing it or looking into relevant info about it, not watching a streamer play it.

Basically, most of what I see in this thread are people who genuinely don't have a leg to stand on, spouting off shit they read from knee jerk reacting children on reddit.

27. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 14:14 Acleacius

There are a million people, out of 8 billion who like mindless and unfinished pvp, with zombies?...duh. Stab  

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

26. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 13:11:
What annoys me is what Trev mentioned about the shifting business model. The stuff with supply drops was weird too although I'm not sure how it all worked out in the end.

That was just icing on the cake for me, I didn't even know about the aspect Trevalian mentioned... that's just a ridiculous insult.

Then again, that seems to be the way freemium games and mobile games seem to be going these days, and mind boggingly people keep buying them. I am at a loss.

25. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:22 Axis

jdreyer wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 12:22:
Axis wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:21:
And I still have no interest, am I missing something?

For me, I have no interest in the genre really. I can see the draw of "anything can happen" and the stakes (losing everything) but I just don't have time to be ganked by a bunch of 14 years olds that have playing 12 hours a day for months.

Is it this game, or the genre you don't like?

Mainly they way these types of games are set up -- I'm no fan of serverX longterm craft/build/destroy gameplay - meaning it's a pseudo home and economy where you focus all your time and effort. People in their isolated server worlds, any type of people playing or managing there, a limit of 32-64 people of which you'll usually see maybe a dozen on at any one time. For me it's a huge waste of time, compounded when ganked often - just not worth the effort.

I'd rather sink my time into getting better at my FPS of choice, farming better items in my persistent ARPG of choice, leveling/gearing in an mmo of choice (of which there hasn't been one I felt worth playing since wow, tho I occasionally log into GW2 for my son's sake) or trying a new game.

Speaking of which, new 1 month Path of Exile leagues - gotta get my new dude up there before Thursday!

Yours truly,

Axis

24. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:15  jdreyer 

bobbyweenus wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 12:45:
I don't really know where this whole "only kids buy this game" garbage comes from.

I play with a fairly large group of guys all over 30, and the vast majority of players any of us run into are adults.

You hear the occasional squeaker but they are few and far between.

There are a lot more Asian (Taiwanese and Koreans from what we've seen) playing than young dumb kids.

Fair enough. Let me rephrase:

I just don't have time to be ganked by a bunch of 14 years olds 30 year old men and Asians that have playing 12 hours a day for months.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

23. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:11 Verno

I actually don't have a problem with that part. Most of these sorts of games are unoptimized pieces of shit (DayZ) so I think if anything people would probably be getting a better experience. Its their money and if there isn't an equivalent to play now then who cares. What annoys me is what Trev mentioned about the shifting business model. The stuff with supply drops was weird too although I'm not sure how it all worked out in the end.

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

22. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

21. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 13:00 Trevellian

The best part is, not only was it 20 dollars to get early access. But all of their 1m copies sold success, is do solely not to the Survival servers, but to another gametype altogether.

The fact of the matter is all of that success is due to Streamers (A lot of professional and top COD players, in their off time in particular) playing the BATTLE ROYALE mode of H1Z1, because unlike Survival, they're quick, twitch based rounds that are an actually somewhat unique game mode not found in most games.

To top all of that off, now, not only have these people paid 20 dollars for early access... But Daybreak is going to turn around and slap a 7 dollar a month subscription to ACCESS BATTLE ROYALE MODE While the game is STILL in Early Access.

Smedley and his crock of shit company can take a long walk off a short pier. Should have learned my lesson with Planetside 2, can't believe I gave these assholes another 20 bucks for H1Z1.

-C22

20. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 12:58 Verno

bobbyweenus wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 12:45:
I don't really know where this whole "only kids buy this game" garbage comes from.

I play with a fairly large group of guys all over 30, and the vast majority of players any of us run into are adults.

There are a lot more Asian (Taiwanese and Koreans from what we've seen) playing than young dumb kids.

It's just a common refrain from people who want to disparage something they don't care for or can't relate to so I wouldn't read much into it. It's the internet equivalent of 'kids these days hurf durf!'. I barely even run into kids playing MOBAs, I find the younger gen is mostly into mobile crapware and CoD.

There are plenty of adults with terrible purchase habits anyway.

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

19. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 12:46 Drayth

Frags4Fun wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 11:19:
Drayth wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:41:
Hey Joe, you wanna play a zombie game?

LOL! Great Dying Light review.

I feel like re quoting that every time there's a new zombie game news article here, but I think I'll keep myself limited to this one time...

18. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 12:45 bobbyweenus

17. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 12:22  jdreyer 

Axis wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:21:
And I still have no interest, am I missing something?

For me, I have no interest in the genre really. I can see the draw of "anything can happen" and the stakes (losing everything) but I just don't have time to be ganked by a bunch of 14 years olds that have playing 12 hours a day for months.

Is it this game, or the genre you don't like?

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

16. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 12:06 DG

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:44:
I'll check H1Z1 out when its a bit more mature, my friend just complains endlessly about it right now. I'm trying to avoid early access in general, I have a whole pile of them in Steam that dead ended.
As a >2 year PS2 player, I feel obliged to counsel you against optimism.

15. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 11:19 Axis

Ya the generational shift has been quite obvious on steam the last 6 months or so - many games up top I would never consider buying, let alone paying the asking price.

I can't complain tho, glad they (or their parents) are buying. I do my best to "shift" them to quality PC games though, point out things to avoid with ports, etc - get alot of pissed off buyers remorse trolls or "don't know betters", but it's worth enlightening the many who do "get it".

Yours truly,

Axis

14. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 11:19 Frags4Fun

Drayth wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:41:
Hey Joe, you wanna play a zombie game?

LOL! Great Dying Light review.

“We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.” William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

13. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 11:02 DukeFNukem

And the prick doesn't even end the tweet with a "Thank You!!!"???? I won't buy it now.  

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't hurt you...

12. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 10:54 Ozmodan

He has become a shill for the f2p crap. Easy to get that many downloads on a so called free game...when it has zombies.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >