The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed

A post on NeoGAF translates a whole bunch of information on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt found in an article on CD Projekt RED's upcoming RPG sequel in German magazine Gamestar (thanks DSoGaming). The author of the preview spent two days playing the game, and they translate his reaction thusly: "My two days with Geralt were one of the most beautiful, most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life." Included is word that the game will get a day one patch and that playing the game with a controller felt superior to playing with a mouse and keyboard. The new information is conveniently arranged in bullets:
Gameplay

• There are 4 difficulties (easy, medium, hard and dark) which differ in the skill of the monsters you face. Hitpoints remain the same.
  • You can bargain for more money after finishing your monster contract through some sort of minigame.
  • The side quests are extremely well made with great writing and branching.
  • Potions are a necessity on higher difficulty levels. You only need to craft a potion once and you can refill it if you have enough alcohol present. Potions are upgradeable for stronger effects. Stronger potions will increase your toxicity more
  • Novigrad and No Man's Land are indeed one single map, much bigger than Skyrim. The isles of Skellige form the other big part of the game. Next to that, there are 5-6 other separated locations, including Kaer Morhen.
  • No enemy respawning or at the least not very frequently
  • Best items in the game must be crafted
  • They were very impressed with the story branching and how it is not always obvious. Correcting 'wrong' choices by saving/reloading will be very difficult if not impossible.
  • Contrary to BioWare games dialogue options are not good or bad, this you will have to figure out for yourselves.
  • They really liked the in-game card game Gwent, praising its design.
  • The game features two really big cities: Novigrad and Oxenfurt, both very lively.
  • The are of No Man's Land features 25 smaller towns, some of which are the size of Flotsam from The Witcher 2.
  • Geralt can rob people, although the system is too easy and feels a bit lacking.
  • Journalist (level 7) was one shotted by a wyvern (level 24). No level scaling.
  • Ciri sequences will be (in total) 5-10h and feel more like an action-adventure game than an RPG
  • Extra storage can be made by crafting saddle bags for your horse.
  • Many small details such as Roach stopping to eat apples from a basket
  • All equipped items are visible in-game on Geralt
  • Fist-fighting is back, this time no QTE
  • World never felt empty
  • Journalist didn't encounter any simple fetch quests

Technical

• The HUD is fully customizable. Icons and quest markers on the map can also be deactivated. Audiovisual hints (e.g. people screaming for help) will be present if you wish to do so.
  • Journalist encountered no clone NPC's
  • Controller feels superior to keyboard+mouse.
  • The extremely annoying doors from The Witcher 2 are gone. Doors are now opened automatically, no button pressing. No loading times for entering buildings either.
  • Day 1 patch confirmed
  • Xbox One resolution will stay at 900p
  • Geralts beard will grow over time
  • Switching between controller and mouse (for menu's) is easy and fluid
  • Most impressive dynamic weather system in any game he has ever played
  • They encountered very few bugs, no crashes of freezes.
  • Ultra seems to have a big effect on the quality of vegetation and character models[
  • No slider for LOD
  • Visual gore more prominent than in The Witcher 2

View : : :
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
Mar 25, 2015, 18:55
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 25, 2015, 18:55
Mar 25, 2015, 18:55

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 00:02:
saluk wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 15:48:
Got to love the community at blues that in a report that contains such hyperbole as "most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life" that everyone jumps on "controller felt superior to playing with a mouse".

Don't y'all ever tire of being so predictable?

Well why are you here if hate PC games and PC gamers so much? Plenty of console sites out there. So bye!

That's kind of like asking you why you exist when you all do is incessantly complain. Some things just defy explanation.

Witcher 3 coupon codes with Nvidia cards are going for $25-30 all over the place for anyone looking.

Mar 23, 2015, 11:43
Verno

Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 23, 2015, 11:43
Mar 23, 2015, 11:43
 Verno

Got to love the community at blues that in a report that contains such hyperbole as "most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life" that everyone jumps on "controller felt superior to playing with a mouse".

I wish Blue would do a spring cleaning on some of our more outspoken trolls and try to set some standards here but its not my board so you take the good with the bad man

For what its worth though I think some of the comments are relevant from past experience with the controls in Witcher 2.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Mar 23, 2015, 10:35
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 23, 2015, 10:35
Mar 23, 2015, 10:35

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 00:02:

Well why are you here if hate PC games and PC gamers so much? Plenty of console sites out there. So bye!

Exactly my thoughts. Why hang around a place you find so predictably bad? Why even bother to comment?

Mar 23, 2015, 05:59
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 23, 2015, 05:59
Mar 23, 2015, 05:59

What are you on about? Everyone and their grandmother can see that the Witcher looks awesome. So why latch on to the controller reference do you ask????

Because (most) people on Blue's are well aware how a lousy UI or control scheme can ruin even an otherwise well designed game.

Personally I will wait and see, because Im really wary of what game reviewers have to say about games in general, so get off that high horse of yours and quit being so judgemental about people who visit these boards.
I have a nifty blue line!

Mar 23, 2015, 05:07
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 23, 2015, 05:07
Mar 23, 2015, 05:07

InBlack wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 04:57:

You mean because most people here are smart enough to distinguish between subjective hyperbole and an opinion that actually bears some relevance to the actual gameplay of said game??

Im guessing you will have to look up the meaning in many of the words in the above paragraph. Yeah. Don't let the door kick you in your behind on your way outa here. Ciao.

As I said before as well, he does make perfect sense. There's a journalist with 33 years of gaming experience saying this The Witcher 3 is one of the best games he has ever played. Instead of expressing some rational excitement to that, you guys jump on a preferable play style of the journalist.

I repeat, so that this undeniable logic may slow you whiners down for a second: I'm sure thousands of people claim the Batman Arkham series play better with a controller, but I scoff at them in disbelief -- for someone who hates controllers and excells in controlling the M/KB, there is nothing to automatically worry about when a gamepad gamer expresses he likes playing with the gamepad more.

"MOST EXCITING AND OVERWHELMING EXPERIENCES I HAVE EXPERIENCED IN MY 33 YEARS GAMING LIFE", people.

One more time, in case your raging, bloodshot eyes still see the controller comment:

"MOST EXCITING AND OVERWHELMING EXPERIENCES I HAVE EXPERIENCED IN MY 33 YEARS GAMING LIFE".

Mar 23, 2015, 04:57
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 23, 2015, 04:57
Mar 23, 2015, 04:57

You mean because most people here are smart enough to distinguish between subjective hyperbole and an opinion that actually bears some relevance to the actual gameplay of said game??

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2015, 05:03.

Mar 23, 2015, 00:02
Cutter

Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 23, 2015, 00:02
Mar 23, 2015, 00:02
 Cutter

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Mar 22, 2015, 21:25
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 21:25
Mar 22, 2015, 21:25

Nope

Mar 22, 2015, 17:30
Rigs

Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 17:30
Mar 22, 2015, 17:30
 Rigs

Nope.

=-Rigs-=

Mar 22, 2015, 15:48
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 15:48
Mar 22, 2015, 15:48

Mar 22, 2015, 14:17
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 14:17
Mar 22, 2015, 14:17

One person believes that the game plays better on a gamepad and you morons lose your minds.

Mouse and keyboard offer better aiming, gamepads offer better movement. The ONLY way you can get both is with a separate device for your left hand, like the Logitech G13, which has a thumbstick JUST like console controllers.

I switch between a 360 controller and m/kb, depending on the game. I don't understand the instant hatred and dismissal of a game over the fact that it OFFERS the ability to use a controller. It certainly won't require it.

If you're that butthurt over a feature in a game due to your belief that what you like is superior, then you're no different than the Mac fanatics you make fun of. No different whatsoever. Realize that you're complaining that there's more than one way to make an imaginary character move around in a game that won't define or change your REAL life in any way whatsoever, and then go cry for how silly you've become.

Mar 22, 2015, 14:06
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 14:06
Mar 22, 2015, 14:06

harlock wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 13:02:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 11:34:
I don't know, could it be that people enjoy a better experience using the keyboard mouse? Button mashing with the controller gets old fast IMO and if directional buttons come into play, good luck with that.

theres quite a difference between having a simple preference, and the frantic display in the comments below - thats what im talking about.. the same as Jeryk - the freak outs

i dont care what controls you prefer.. thats not the issue - its the outbursts and "FUCKING CONSOLES!!!" bullshit... its retarded

thats my opinion, so it should please you to see it

You seem to be the one having more problems and outbursts than anyone else. Just as some people like some things, people also dislike some things. Sometmes those things are consoles and gamepads. If they don't want to buy a game because it is 'best played' with those things', why are you upset about it? If they miss out, they miss out. They can always relent and buy it later.

Forums are for people to state opinions and debate them. If you disagree with something, maybe you should just take a leaf from Jeryk's book like you noted, and present a decent counter argument.

Mar 22, 2015, 13:16
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 13:16
Mar 22, 2015, 13:16

harlock wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 13:02:
I don't know, could it be that people enjoy a better experience using the keyboard mouse? Button mashing with the controller gets old fast IMO and if directional buttons come into play, good luck with that.

theres quite a difference between having a simple preference, and the frantic display in the comments below - thats what im talking about.. the same as Jeryk - the freak outs

i dont care what controls you prefer.. thats not the issue - its the outbursts and "FUCKING CONSOLES!!!" bullshit... its retarded

You're the last person who should be giving advice about irrational outbursts.

Mar 22, 2015, 13:02
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 13:02
Mar 22, 2015, 13:02

Mar 22, 2015, 12:09
PHJF

Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 12:09
Mar 22, 2015, 12:09
 PHJF

Don't go fucking blaming a lousy UI on the input device. Destiny has one of the cleanest, most functional UIs on the market.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Mar 22, 2015, 11:58
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 11:58
Mar 22, 2015, 11:58

I don't think it's the end of the world if it's best played with a gamepad, if it's a fun game that shortcoming will mostly get overlooked. I do understand people's frustrations though, game pads aren't nearly as precise, and the UI tends to suffer because of this. It's kind of disappointing to see this one aspect of gaming de-evolve as the rest of gaming progresses. The first Witcher had a good UI, and (not so)coincidentally was PC/OSX only. The same goes for the difference between Morrowind and Skyrim; Skyrim was arguably better in every aspect except for the UI. Even modded the UI is still clumsier than a game 9 years it's senior. There's no reason a PC player should have to scroll through inventory one item at a time to find what they want, that UI design problem was conquered long ago, but continues to rear it's head because it's the best solution for gamepads, and developers don't want to design for both.

Mar 22, 2015, 11:34
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 11:34
Mar 22, 2015, 11:34

harlock wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 05:53:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 05:27:
Not sure why people are freaking out over the gamepad comment.

because the world is full of very sad, very pathetic people

There is a difference and it is always good to see others opinions.

Mar 22, 2015, 09:45
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 09:45
Mar 22, 2015, 09:45

loomy wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 18:57:
the keyboard versus gamepad debate is much ado about nothing. this kind of game has always been good with a gamepad. where did it start? mario 64?

you're running around button mashing. aiming is assisted. of course it's going to be good for a gamepad.

I think some people might be complaining about the controller support when they really mean to say that they're ignorant and want everything to be "their way"

Aim assist is cute!

Im sure in world will work well with km. Where too many struggle with on the port is ui/inv. Not efficient at all for a mouse.

But comments should come as no surprise this argument happens everytime when questioned. A lot of people play on the pc just to use a mouse and keep from a controller.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2015, 09:52.

Mar 22, 2015, 07:04
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 07:04
Mar 22, 2015, 07:04

What? No mention of sex scenes?

Mar 22, 2015, 06:41
Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 06:41
Mar 22, 2015, 06:41

Dynamic Beards! Fuck yeah! Been waiting for that for evah!!!

On a more serious note, I guess Ill have to nag a friend to return a controller I loaned him (two, three?) years ago.
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older