Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month

Stainless Steel Games announces April 23rd is the official release date for Carmageddon: Reincarnation, a delay from the previously announced March 27th delivery date for the game. They note this gives a last chance to get in on the preorder bonus on Steam, which includes the Carmageddon Classic Collection with advance purchases. Here's a new trailer and here's word:

That's right, the time is fast approaching when you’ll finally get your hands on the FULL PACKAGE! You’ve been through the Early Access Pre-Alpha, you’ve been through Beta, and all along the enthusiasm, support and brilliant feedback of the Carmageddon community has been helping to get us to the holy grail… That is The Game… FINISHED OFF! Yes, we're delighted to announce that the game will soon be going GOLD, and on the 23rd April it'll be showered in all its Steamy golden glory upon an eagerly waiting world! And so once more we’d like to thank everyone who already has the game installed – your patience will soon be rewarded... Tell your friends! Tell your family! Shout it from the rooftops! And if you haven't got it already... NOW'S THE TIME!

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 21, 2015, 02:40 Rigs

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 07:51:
Well we are going to have to agree to disagree then. For me Carma 2 is one of my favorite games but it pales in comparison to the original + Splat Pack. The design is so plain and uninspired. Boring cars. Boring maps. It was and remains very prone to crashing. The menu frequently broke. Many vehicles were cut with some of them being recreated by fans. Also the whole second half of the career after launching the nukes and transforming the previous maps into post apocalyptic ruins was axed because of time. It's well known SCi rushed the sequel, which burned out Stainless who passed on doing Carmageddon 3 and lead to the pathetic TDR2000. New technology aside, Carma 2's saving grace was the awesome gameplay and modding community.

Fair enough. I actually wasn't aware they'd planned anything beyond what was included in the 'campaign'. Or maybe I did and just forgot after all these years, who knows. I wasn't a big fan of Carma3 either. It was ok but not very creative and certainly didn't introduce anything new. I dunno why I have such 'feelz' for Carma2 over the original. Maybe because I'm such a huge fan of the rise of GPU's. The originals, while unique (and 'controversial') had horrible draw distance along with some seriously pixelated sprites. When Carma2 came around, it was so much smoother and easier to control. Granted the maps were rather uninspired and something I always hated about it, except for the first 'city' map, which was awesome. Mods were always welcome, too. I loved driving as the police car...and having all 'police' enemies (can't remember if that was an original mode or a mod)...it's just been too long, period, and I feel like this new Carma doesn't do much to alleviate that.

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 20, 2015, 07:51 Mad Max RW

Well we are going to have to agree to disagree then. For me Carma 2 is one of my favorite games but it pales in comparison to the original + Splat Pack. The design is so plain and uninspired. Boring cars. Boring maps. It was and remains very prone to crashing. The menu frequently broke. Many vehicles were cut with some of them being recreated by fans. Also the whole second half of the career after launching the nukes and transforming the previous maps into post apocalyptic ruins was axed because of time. It's well known SCi rushed the sequel, which burned out Stainless who passed on doing Carmageddon 3 and lead to the pathetic TDR2000. New technology aside, Carma 2's saving grace was the awesome gameplay and modding community.  

17. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 20, 2015, 00:14 nin

Rigs wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 00:00:
Nowadays, my ride is about as mean as a Chevy Volt with a bitchin' paintjob but it can still hold it's own against most things I throw at it. This new version of Carma not so much. I understand they're shooting for tricked out systems built for speed and eating polygons for breakfast but if that is their intent, the least they could do is actually say so upfront. This isn't a traditionally published game, it was funded and that requires a little more transparency in regards to things like that, at least IMO...

Exactly, thank you!

16. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 20, 2015, 00:00 Rigs

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 17:20:
I see a lot of people bringing up Carmageddon 2. Well I don't know how many of you were around when that game was released but it was a buggy unfinished mess (literally half the game was missing) and unplayable on many MANY more PC setups. If you dared force a greater draw distance it quickly became a slideshow on even the most top of the line computers.

Stainless seems to have a history of overestimating the capability of average PC gamers. Maybe they assumed if you had the money to spare to kickstart Carmageddon Reincarnation you can afford a computer upgrade. They made it for the super dedicated life long fans and appear to have delivered. Casuals should stay away.

Hmm, I have to disagree with that. Carma2, IMO, was the best in the series. It brought the game to the 3D accelerator revolution, which is what it needed. Yes, the original supported 3D accelerators, through a patch later on, but in it's original release it didn't. Carma2 was built from the ground up with dedicated GPU's in mind. I'm not too sure where you get the whole, 'half the game was missing at launch'. I have a launch day cd-rom copy sitting on the shelf next to me and it has everything that was supposed to be included. It was buggy, I'll concede that. I was actually a pretty die-hard fan of Carma back then and managed to get a hold of a beta before release, not to mention the demo, which was pretty ugly, in performance, eye candy and features. However, the retail release itself? Fine and ran fine on my Pentium2/400 with 128mb of RAM and a Diamond Monster3D-2 3dfx Voodoo2/8mb purring under the hood (hooked to a Diamond Stealth S220 (Rendition-based)/4mb 2D/3D card). I don't know how performance was for the layman, but for my super computer, it ran smooth as...well, as 30 fps would allow, anyway.

Nowadays, my ride is about as mean as a Chevy Volt with a bitchin' paintjob but it can still hold it's own against most things I throw at it. This new version of Carma not so much. I understand they're shooting for tricked out systems built for speed and eating polygons for breakfast but if that is their intent, the least they could do is actually say so upfront. This isn't a traditionally published game, it was funded and that requires a little more transparency in regards to things like that, at least IMO...

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 17:20 Mad Max RW

16GB of RAM here with a 4GB Geforce GTX 770 and it runs fine (averaging 60fps and drops significantly during pinball mode in certain maps) with all the settings on and draw distance sliders between halfway and 3/4 to the right. People don't seem to realize or are unwilling to accept this game is a memory hog. At any given moment it is running several hundred unique pedestrian AI and thousands upon thousands of physics objects. Then add the other drivers, powerups, and the rest of the bells and whistles that effect the entire world at once. No other game is doing that. Not GTA or Saints Row or Crysis or anything. Graphics quality has little to do with performance here.

I see a lot of people bringing up Carmageddon 2. Well I don't know how many of you were around when that game was released but it was a buggy unfinished mess (literally half the game was missing) and unplayable on many MANY more PC setups. If you dared force a greater draw distance it quickly became a slideshow on even the most top of the line computers.

Stainless seems to have a history of overestimating the capability of average PC gamers. Maybe they assumed if you had the money to spare to kickstart Carmageddon Reincarnation you can afford a computer upgrade. They made it for the super dedicated life long fans and appear to have delivered. Casuals should stay away.

14. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 15:44 Jivaro

It is too bad so many people have trouble with it. I am also running it just fine but the feedback from the overwhelming vast majority of players seems to be that it stutters like hell way too often. It is interesting that my system is similar to Bats except for three main differences: He has 16gb RAM, I have only 8. He overclocks, I don't...but I am running the same CPU and I have a GeForce 760.

No idea why it gets along with my rather non-flashy and somewhat vanilla setup. Luck over skill I guess.

13. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 13:00 SpectralMeat

Glad I didn't back this one.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 12:38 Retired

InBlack wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 04:00:
Am I reading that right Bats? Did you manage to overclock that i5 to 5,9 Ghz???? No wonder you aren't having issues

I bought that card for a reason.

Snap on liquid cooler.

But that is over reporting for some reason. I run at about 4.9 so I will have to figure it out. dxdiag may not be the best to pull that data from.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2015, 13:25.

11. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 09:12 Rigs

InBlack wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 04:00:
Am I reading that right Bats? Did you manage to overclock that i5 to 5,9 Ghz???? No wonder you aren't having issues

Also 16gb's of RAM doesn't hurt either...

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 04:00 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 02:58 Jerykk

When you say you don't have any issues, are you saying you get a stable 60 FPS? Because if you don't, that's the issue. The game doesn't look anywhere near good enough to justify the lousy performance.  

8. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 00:54 Retired

I don't have any issues....weird. And my rig is not anything special:

Time of this report: 3/18/2015, 23:53:28
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150113-1808)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/31/12 10:21:23 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~5.9GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16346MB RAM
Page File: 7069MB used, 25619MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

With a single 660TI

7. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 19, 2015, 00:13 NetHead

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 19:33:
So I tried this again last week, and still felt like performance was horrible...

Well that is sad, it's the first thing I was wondering about having played a version I got my hands on a few months ago that also ran like crap without the visuals to justify the performance.

Maybe funding is an issue an they need more to continue, or maybe they are just taking a chance and releasing and moving on, either way it doesn't sound like the release I was hoping for.

Had really high hopes as Carmaggeddon 1 was one of those few games I'd put in the pile of best games ever.

With all the engine tech seemingly so cheap these days it would suck to have something so anticipated end up being a performance blunder.

6. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 18, 2015, 23:19 nin

Rigs wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 22:52:
You're not crazy, nin, this game runs horrible. I don't think they've done any optimization whatsoever and I don't think they have plans on doing so, either. It's nigh unplayable on my Core i5-750, 6gb RAM and HD7850/1gb. Yeah, it's not a beast but I have no trouble playing Ass Creed: Unity or Dragon Age: Inquisition on it. I can't run Star Citizen though, for some reason. It maxes out my ram and then shows me the desktop like a boot to the ass. As for Carma: Re, I sadly don't have high hopes for it anymore. It's a nice idea and it's certainly Carmageddon but it's not even close to Carma2, which I feel was the best in the series...

=-Rigs-=

Yeah, I went and read a few comments on the steam forums afterwards, and it sounds like it's a mess. Disappointing...

Win some, lose some, I guess...

5. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 18, 2015, 23:03 Axis

Game is crap, devs are no-shows. From performance, controls, fov you name it it's poorly done. Maybe at one point they were 'really trying' to make it a good game, but somewhere along they way they said "fuck it, lets sell it and move on".  

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 18, 2015, 22:52 Rigs

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 19:33:
So I tried this again last week, and still felt like performance was horrible, with 1-3 second pauses from time to time. Is it just my machine? I've got an 3.2g i7 960, 8 gig or ram, and one of the new GTX 960s for video. I took the default video options and didn't try and crank everything up or anything like that.

You're not crazy, nin, this game runs horrible. I don't think they've done any optimization whatsoever and I don't think they have plans on doing so, either. It's nigh unplayable on my Core i5-750, 6gb RAM and HD7850/1gb. Yeah, it's not a beast but I have no trouble playing Ass Creed: Unity or Dragon Age: Inquisition on it. I can't run Star Citizen though, for some reason. It maxes out my ram and then shows me the desktop like a boot to the ass. As for Carma: Re, I sadly don't have high hopes for it anymore. It's a nice idea and it's certainly Carmageddon but it's not even close to Carma2, which I feel was the best in the series...

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 18, 2015, 19:41 SpectralMeat

Wow, that was quick.
The beta was just released a month ago.

Steam: SpectralMeat

2. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 18, 2015, 19:37 Bumpy

I think they've given up on making and coding this game. I consider the game half assed in performance and glitchy coding. Still many people can't get this game to even start.

They want to wrap it up to a close and move on to their next money making project.

1. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Next Month Mar 18, 2015, 19:33 nin

So I tried this again last week, and still felt like performance was horrible, with 1-3 second pauses from time to time. Is it just my machine? I've got an 3.2g i7 960, 8 gig or ram, and one of the new GTX 960s for video. I took the default video options and didn't try and crank everything up or anything like that.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo