Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity

Developer Obsidian Entertainment and publisher Paradox Interactive announce that Pillars of Eternity is gold, having completed development, and the crowd-funded RPG is set for its scheduled release on March 26th, leaving a little over a week to take advantage of the preorder bonuses for three different editions of the game. Here's word:
Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive today announced that Pillars of Eternity, the fan-funded modern take on a classic role-playing game (RPG) set in an original world created by some of the best minds in RPG development, has reached “Gold Master” (GM) status, and is now ready for its release on March 26, 2015. Pillars of Eternity, originally called “Project Eternity” the 10th most funded Kickstarter ever and second most funded video game , has been in development for two and a half years, and is now ready to complete its journey, arriving on Windows, Mac, and Linux PC next week. The game will release globally, with backers receiving their digital copies as well.

“Seeing Pillars of Eternity through has been an incredible journey for all of us at a deeply personal level,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “When we took our idea to Kickstarter, our fans got behind us more than we ever thought. It’s been a blast to match their enthusiasm, see them cheer us on, and have them help to keep us on course every step of the way. It's crazy to think that more than two years have come and gone, but time flies that way when you are creating something as important as Pillars of Eternity has become to us.”

“We knew, when we joined forces with Obsidian, that both the studio and the game were a perfect match for us,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “A core tenet at Paradox is staying closely connected to one’s players and community, and we’ve watched Obsidian do exactly that. From the handling of their crowd-funding to their open dialogue with fans on their forums, Obsidian has been dedicated to fulfilling their promises to players, and we’ve been glad for the chance to help them do it. We’re looking forward to working together with Obsidian for a long time to come.”

Pillars of Eternity is an RPG inspired by classic titles such as Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, featuring an original world and unique game system, Pillars of Eternity ushers in a renaissance for a much beloved style of role playing game. Funded via Kickstarter in late 2012, raising over $4 million through both backer pledges on Kickstarter and PayPal. Pillars of Eternity has been a project of passion for both the development team and the loyal fans who made it possible.

Pillars of Eternity is scheduled to launch next week, on March 26, 2015, and the game can still be pre-ordered until that time. Pre-orders also include two special in-game items: a Giant Miniature Space Piglet companion who will accompany players through the world of Eora, and the Gaun’s Pledge ring, which provides powerful support to heroes in times of peril. Pillars of Eternity can be pre-ordered by visiting http://buy.pillarsofeternity.com.

For more information on Pillars of Eternity, visit eternity.obsidian.net
View : : :
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
Mar 20, 2015, 08:05
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 20, 2015, 08:05
Mar 20, 2015, 08:05

I am enthusiastic about both ;p

Mar 20, 2015, 04:55
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 20, 2015, 04:55
Mar 20, 2015, 04:55

I dunno, but my enthusiasm has shifted to another game. For me, this looks so.. SO much more interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOiZGWeGxVI

I just watched it. It's a 10 mins First Look on Storm Coast Legends. I swear, I have that warm fuzzy feeling in my chest now. I'm in love.

Mar 19, 2015, 09:59
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2015, 09:59
Mar 19, 2015, 09:59

I've always hated DnD treatment of armor, both second edition AC/THAC0 and 3.0+ AC. It never made sense to me that having a high armor class made you somehow harder to hit, instead I always thought that armor should reduce the amount of damage you took from a successful hit.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Mar 18, 2015, 21:20
nin

Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 21:20
Mar 18, 2015, 21:20
 nin

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 20:26:
Man, that makes me think back to the first time I played BG2, my first real exposure to any sort of D&D based game.

My experience was similar - had always seen the gold box stuff at babbages, but never tried it. Had now idea what this whole THAC0 was about, and kept getting killed left and right. But I stuck with it, and it was worth it.

Mar 18, 2015, 20:26
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 20:26
Mar 18, 2015, 20:26

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 18:35:
Btw I totally get that, THAC0, DC, AC, Saves, SR, MR everything was a huge confusing mess.

I winged my ass through IWD 1/IWD 2 and BG 1/2/TOB without ever knowing any of these systems in detail though.. so it's not like that was REQUIRED to know, apart from knowing what number is better or worse (in BG, this especially was hilarious, with negative armor and all that ;p) And it only got worse later when they changed that in NWN and onwards because I was used to the other way then...

That said, PoE is not DnD, thank the heavens

Man, that makes me think back to the first time I played BG2, my first real exposure to any sort of D&D based game. I made a Wizard Slayer, but didn't realize you could reroll or min/max the starting stats, so he had like 14 STR, 15 DEX, 12 CON, 17 INT, etc. He could only wear plate armor after being buffed by the party.

I doubt I'll make that level of error with my first character in PoEt(not to be confused with Path of Exile!) but I'm sure the first guy will be less than optimal. That's kind of the point though, you make some mistakes, learn a bit, do better later on, or in another playthrough. That's part of what made me love BG2 so much, as I played it more and really started learning the mechanics, then mastering the vanilla game, then adding mods...

BG1/IWD/IWD2 were a breeze after that. I doubt PoEt is going to be as rough to newcomers, and according to some of the dev posts, they've really tried hard to avoid "trap" style builds, where you end up leveling a certain path only to find out it's unusable late game.

Anyway, less than 8 days now.

*EDIT* Grammar.

Mar 18, 2015, 18:35
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 18:35
Mar 18, 2015, 18:35

Btw I totally get that, THAC0, DC, AC, Saves, SR, MR everything was a huge confusing mess.

I winged my ass through IWD 1/IWD 2 and BG 1/2/TOB without ever knowing any of these systems in detail though.. so it's not like that was REQUIRED to know, apart from knowing what number is better or worse (in BG, this especially was hilarious, with negative armor and all that ;p) And it only got worse later when they changed that in NWN and onwards because I was used to the other way then...

That said, PoE is not DnD, thank the heavens

Mar 18, 2015, 17:13
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 17:13
Mar 18, 2015, 17:13

Axis wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:22:
I've always been a huge fan of in-depth mechanics for my rpg turn/pause based games -- the closer they were to ADnD, the more I enjoyed them for the most part. Since DnD set the standard, it's better to go with what the majority already are familiar with then "redesign the wheel". DDO is really the only good DnD game out there, I still fire it up once in awhile.

I'm pretty open minded regardless, but gameplay has to be solid.

As for combat timers, I use cheatengine's speedhack on D:OS, I have absolutely no patience these days, so I always speed up the running, cutscenes, etc on games I can use it on.

Same with Cheatengine to speed up TB, but really that should be part of the options in game with any TB. Great I'll go normal speed for a while, but once I got it down and seen all there is to see, now I want to work fast. It is imo a big part of moving TB forward, quick efficient interfaces.

And right on with DnD but you know that is a large barrier for many.

Mar 18, 2015, 16:22
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 16:22
Mar 18, 2015, 16:22

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 15:56:
Quinn wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 14:02:
I'm pretty sure it has to do with patience and the degree of how much you care. I understand the concept of requirements to ware certain armors or use certain spells, but -- while I cannot remember the details -- if I remember correctly in those games it wasn't just Strength or Intel but a whole bunch of other shit that wouldn't make sense to anyone who hadn't sat on a D&D table or devoured the manual.

Right.
THACO
DC
AC
Saves
SR

That is what I'm hoping is improved upon, I'm almost certain they will be since those things were from a bygone era and pc gaming has evolved.

I should start asking questions about the game, like:
Is there scripting for your NPC's on your team like BG?
What type of auto-pause options are there?
Are there combat speed sliders? (D:OS need that desperately)

This is part of why I'm not a K-razy Pause Based system player. If your game has pause base, then you need to know about these things, because they are tremendous aids for control and not being a total burden. It is about managing a fight. Or do you say F it, play on easy and just play the game in pure real-time? Now that is one reason I like Pause, you basically can have two different combat engines, one pure real, the other pause tactics throughout.

FWIW back in DDO. I swear that is the only MMO that can do it for me, but right back to a large learning curve which I'm pretty much past, but I always think "Man how many people just quit it because of all these rules to understand?". They could make a DDO 2 and just make a lot of the rules systems much more common and not touch the rest, well and have another large expansion added. The dungeons/interactivity is the special sauce for this game, and a nice slice of unique character builds.

But mechanics and number crunching in this game, it takes some time and for a newbie, real patience.

I've always been a huge fan of in-depth mechanics for my rpg turn/pause based games -- the closer they were to ADnD, the more I enjoyed them for the most part. Since DnD set the standard, it's better to go with what the majority already are familiar with then "redesign the wheel". DDO is really the only good DnD game out there, I still fire it up once in awhile.

I'm pretty open minded regardless, but gameplay has to be solid.

As for combat timers, I use cheatengine's speedhack on D:OS, I have absolutely no patience these days, so I always speed up the running, cutscenes, etc on games I can use it on.

Yours truly,

Axis

Mar 18, 2015, 15:56
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 15:56
Mar 18, 2015, 15:56

Quinn wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 14:02:
I'm pretty sure it has to do with patience and the degree of how much you care. I understand the concept of requirements to ware certain armors or use certain spells, but -- while I cannot remember the details -- if I remember correctly in those games it wasn't just Strength or Intel but a whole bunch of other shit that wouldn't make sense to anyone who hadn't sat on a D&D table or devoured the manual.

Right.
THACO
DC
AC
Saves
SR

That is what I'm hoping is improved upon, I'm almost certain they will be since those things were from a bygone era and pc gaming has evolved.

I should start asking questions about the game, like:
Is there scripting for your NPC's on your team like BG?
What type of auto-pause options are there?
Are there combat speed sliders? (D:OS need that desperately)

This is part of why I'm not a K-razy Pause Based system player. If your game has pause base, then you need to know about these things, because they are tremendous aids for control and not being a total burden. It is about managing a fight. Or do you say F it, play on easy and just play the game in pure real-time? Now that is one reason I like Pause, you basically can have two different combat engines, one pure real, the other pause tactics throughout.

FWIW back in DDO. I swear that is the only MMO that can do it for me, but right back to a large learning curve which I'm pretty much past, but I always think "Man how many people just quit it because of all these rules to understand?". They could make a DDO 2 and just make a lot of the rules systems much more common and not touch the rest, well and have another large expansion added. The dungeons/interactivity is the special sauce for this game, and a nice slice of unique character builds.

But mechanics and number crunching in this game, it takes some time and for a newbie, real patience.

Mar 18, 2015, 14:02
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 14:02
Mar 18, 2015, 14:02

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 13:16:
Quinn wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 09:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 06:23:
Flo wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 06:11:
InBlack wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 03:25:
I kind of ignored the development of this, lets hope it turns out better than Divinity. Divinity had some great combat mechanics but the story and characters were bland sauce, couldnt keep my attention for that long.
Sadly, I agree.

Pretty much yeah.. decent combat, but barely ok story and really not ok characters. A complete lack of character growth, characterization and interactions between characters. Even the dialog between characters seemed generic and inconsequential... but at least it was a decent RPG... in a way.

I agree, too. I hope PoEt won't be for hardcore CRPG players only. I sucked at Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale horribly. Ten years ago I couldn't even get past the first encounters. I tried the BG remake and I made it about 3 to 4 hours into the game before the enemies were really gaining the advantage. For some reason there's a line to be drawn for me, and BG/Icewind Dale is too hardcore.

I hope this is more toward Neverwinter Nights / Divinity OS but I doubt it :\

Anyone got something to say on this matter whom have played PoEt or know a lot about it?

As Futurama would say: You're bad and you should feel bad

My experience with the beta is that its difficult but fair, much like the games you mentioned. If you did poorly at old CRPGs then I doubt you will fare any better here. It doesn't sound like these games are for you.

Neverwinter Nights was more forgiving. For instance, back then I didn't really know or cared what AC stood for and only years later I realized D stood for dice. I loved NWN however, and while I'm sure my characters weren't perfect builds, I didn't get butchered.

Someone earlier mentioned that PoEt's gear system is kind of what the average gamer is used to. No crazy D&D rules I liked the news. I'm definitely not writing this one off.

Mar 18, 2015, 13:16
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 13:16
Mar 18, 2015, 13:16

I kind of ignored the development of this, lets hope it turns out better than Divinity. Divinity had some great combat mechanics but the story and characters were bland sauce, couldnt keep my attention for that long.
Sadly, I agree.

Pretty much yeah.. decent combat, but barely ok story and really not ok characters. A complete lack of character growth, characterization and interactions between characters. Even the dialog between characters seemed generic and inconsequential... but at least it was a decent RPG... in a way.

I agree, too. I hope PoEt won't be for hardcore CRPG players only. I sucked at Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale horribly. Ten years ago I couldn't even get past the first encounters. I tried the BG remake and I made it about 3 to 4 hours into the game before the enemies were really gaining the advantage. For some reason there's a line to be drawn for me, and BG/Icewind Dale is too hardcore.

Anyone got something to say on this matter whom have played PoEt or know a lot about it?

As Futurama would say: You're bad and you should feel bad

My experience with the beta is that its difficult but fair, much like the games you mentioned. If you did poorly at old CRPGs then I doubt you will fare any better here. It doesn't sound like these games are for you.

Mar 18, 2015, 11:29
Verno

Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 11:29
Mar 18, 2015, 11:29
 Verno

Missed this one earlier, I totally agree. Divinity was a great combat system and the rest of it was really mediocre. Bad writing, poor characters, nonsense plot and etc. It's been a problem of Larian's for awhile now and they don't seem interested in addressing it.

Anyways glad this game is coming out, hardcore RPG fans deserve an experience like it. Plenty of weaksauce RPG games for the masses, so few like this it kind of makes me sad at how RPGs have turned out. I hope it lasts me awhile and has a ton of replay value. I think I will take a day off work to play woot!
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Mar 18, 2015, 11:14
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 11:14
Mar 18, 2015, 11:14

Quinn wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 10:48:

It's not like I was starting a debate here, so don't pretend I did.

Anyway, good to know. I'll give it a try anyway because it does look good! I'll just keep my expectations realistically low for a gamer like meself.

I hear yah!

Lets take the two ends BG and D:OS. with the 3 main attributes:

Strengths BG
Characters
Branching Story

D:OS
Combat

Will PoEt blend them all together? I guess it will do combat better than BG, I'm assuming a much cleaner system to read/understand, to know how to build better, use equipment better, to me that seems like perhaps the issue you had with BG/IWD.

As for character and branching story, it seems to be there as well or better than BG.

I also have a feeling D:OS has heard and realizes its shortfalls and expect greatly improved dialog the next time around.

So as of next week, I suspect PoEt to rate the highest to date when averaging those categories.

Mar 18, 2015, 10:48
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 10:48
Mar 18, 2015, 10:48

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 10:14:
There are plenty of other games on the market for people who want a lite RPG experience and not many games like BG/IWD for people who don't mind a bit of complexity and depth. People kickstarted this because its a spiritual successor to those games, that's what its going to be.

It's not like I was starting a debate here, so don't pretend I did.

Anyway, good to know. I'll give it a try anyway because it does look good! I'll just keep my expectations realistically low for a gamer like meself.

Mar 18, 2015, 10:14
Verno

Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 10:14
Mar 18, 2015, 10:14
 Verno

There are plenty of other games on the market for people who want a lite RPG experience and not many games like BG/IWD for people who don't mind a bit of complexity and depth. People kickstarted this because its a spiritual successor to those games, that's what its going to be.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Mar 18, 2015, 10:05
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 10:05
Mar 18, 2015, 10:05

Not trying to be a dick here, so please don't take it that way, but the creators of Pillars of Eternity have specifically called out the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series as the spiritual basis for the game.

It might be that this isn't the game for you if you didn't like those games.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2015, 11:24.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Mar 18, 2015, 09:44
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 09:44
Mar 18, 2015, 09:44

Sadly, I agree.

Mar 18, 2015, 06:23
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 06:23
Mar 18, 2015, 06:23

Sadly, I agree.

Mar 18, 2015, 06:11
Flo
Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 06:11
Mar 18, 2015, 06:11
Flo

Sadly, I agree.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

No subject
Mar 18, 2015, 05:02
No subject Mar 18, 2015, 05:02
Mar 18, 2015, 05:02

I enjoyed the hell out of Divinity, probably because I was looking for a new cRPG to play. There was a shortage of story without a doubt, but considering there's been a year long delay for PoE, I'm expecting something epic.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older