Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Well Daylight Saving Time began in these parts in the wee hours this morning, making for one fewer of those wee hours than normal. Nobody likes losing sleep, but the forecast says to expect sunset at 6:55 pm this evening, which I will appreciate. All-in-all, I'm calling it a win.

Winning Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ski Safari.
Big Dig Treasure Clickers.
WAITING IN LINE 3D. Thanks reddit.
Story: 5 myths about daylight saving time. Thanks HARDOCP.
Science: Better testing desperately needed to fight antimicrobial resistance.
NASA 'exhilarated' as Dawn orbits mini-planet Ceres. Thanks HARDOCP.
Image: A single photo that tells the powerful story of the 50th anniversary of Selma.
Media: Russian candidate for the Darwin Award.
Hammer Test: Zirconia Implant vs Porcelain Fused Metal.
The Funnies: Back in the swing EXTRALIFE.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 14:44 BobBob

We need to implement stardate in preparation for Martian colonies and first contact (or alien invasion -- if you're the glass half empty type of person).  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 14:32 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 14:26:
Huh? Those records are kept already. Using GMT everywhere would just make it easier to figure things like that out.

My company totally does not keep such records. If we need to call a supplier or a customer, we check their address, look up their local time and call between 9AM-4PM local time. We certainly don't estimate their working hours based on their longitude.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 14:26 Mr. Tact

Huh? Those records are kept already. Using GMT everywhere would just make it easier to figure things like that out.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 13:41 Orogogus

I'm in San Diego, and if I have to deal with someone on the east coast it's good to know that their working hours are 3 hours ahead of us. It provides an easy point of reference and puts everyone on the same page. If I have to deal with someone in Germany I can look up the local time and adjust accordingly. If there were no local times and standardized GMT offsets, we would have to keep records of when everyone is open on an individual basis.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 12:59 Mr. Tact

What? Just because you use GMT doesn't mean your local businesses have to open at 0800 GMT. Does it really matter if when you get up you call it 0600 Eastern or 1100 GMT? Does it matter that your work day might be 1400-2200 GMT instead of 0900-1700 Eastern? Of course not. It is a label and nothing more.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 12:24 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 11:17:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 11:05:
GMT for everyone? Hehe. I am fine with getting rid of DST, but be realistic. Getting rid of time zones helps no one.
What are you talking about? It will help anyone who ever communicates with someone in another time zone. So, when you tell your co-worker two time zones away, the meeting is at 14:00. There is no question about when the meeting is.

Ok, maybe saying "no one" was a bit of an overstatement, but my job regularly involves communication across several time zones, and we run on zulu/GMT because of it. However when we step outside, local time makes vastly more sense, because of the angle of the sun, and the rest of local humanity. Most other industries run in a similar manner, I'd hope.

*EDIT* Unless the majority of people start sleeping during broad daylight, or working during current late night/early morning hours, the world won't really function on GMT. Studies have shown messing up the circadian rhythms like that is really unhealthy.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2015, 12:30.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 11:17 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 11:05:
GMT for everyone? Hehe. I am fine with getting rid of DST, but be realistic. Getting rid of time zones helps no one.
What are you talking about? It will help anyone who ever communicates with someone in another time zone. So, when you tell your co-worker two time zones away, the meeting is at 14:00. There is no question about when the meeting is.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 11:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 09:19:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 09:18:
I think we all should have the same time! And where I live it should be like it was!
I agree, GMT for everyone, everything, everywhere, all the time. End all time zones and "daylight savings".

Also, nice Zirconia teeth, thanks dental technology!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 09:19 Mr. Tact

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 09:18:
I think we all should have the same time! And where I live it should be like it was!
I agree, GMT for everyone, everything, everywhere, all the time. End all time zones and "daylight savings".

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 09:18 Muscular Beaver

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 04:51 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Mar 8, 2015, 23:06:
I love daylight savings time! I was able to take my Sunday walk much later in the day. Thumbsup

Yes, yes. And for those of you that hate daylight savings time, you should heed Bobbob's advice and move somewhere that doesn't have it: AZ or HI. You'll be happier there!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 02:10 Retired

Forgot to mention I got my Hotline Miami 2 vinyl set a few days ago.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 00:34 GunSpeed

One answer: Dying light!
http://goo.gl/2IQCS1
PS: Been playing it, so my eyes fooled me!

Back to the real subject,
Day light saving should be stopped

"DST saves neither daylight or time. It's mass delusion, pure and simple.
(And the idea we did/do it for Farmers is the stupidest one of all.
C'mon! Use your Brains!)"
-Mary Asicit 5:42 AM GMT+0300
http://goo.gl/7UqPvk

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2015, 00:40.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 23:06 BobBob

I love daylight savings time! I was able to take my Sunday walk much later in the day. Thumbsup

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2015, 23:41.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 20:28 Cutter

It's good to be rid of the penny. It would be great to be rid of DST.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 20:11 PHJF

That the US can't rid itself of either the monetary penny or daylight saving time represent the shining examples of how ultimately backwards and ineffectual our governing bodies truly are.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 20:03 Mr. Tact

It annoys the hell out of me, I wish they'd get rid it of it.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 18:37 nin

Jivaro wrote on Mar 8, 2015, 16:50:
I am hate Daylight Savings Time. Hate it.

I'm not a fan of it, either.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 16:50 Jivaro

I am hate Daylight Savings Time. Hate it.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 12:42 SirKnight

I am definitely a fan of it getting darker later. This is the time it should stay at.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo