Diablo III Launch Postmortem

Diablo III game director Josh Mosqueira spoke at GDC, offering a bit of a postmortem on the launch of Blizzard's action/RPG sequel. Here's a video and PCGamesN recaps the talk. While the drastic changes the game has undergone over time shows how many problems it had from the start, it's interesting to see the company's take on things, as the realization that things were broken dawned on them about as soon as the game officially launched. Here's a bit:
The servers wasn’t the only issue with Diablo III at launch. Diablo III was abrupt and merciless in its difficulty, and it was causing players to adopt some very strange, and un-fun behaviours. “The game was so hard,” said Josh, “that instead of being these epic heroes, fighting against the forces of darkness, you were a Barbarian smashing pots. That’s right - the best heroes in Sanctuary were farming terra-cotta, because it was more efficient and less difficult than fighting monsters”

And when the game actually did give you loot, the chance at finding something worthwhile was miniscule. “When [you] were getting loot, getting bags full of yellows and legendaries, you would know as you clicked on every single one, that you weren’t going to get an upgrade.

“A true story: on my live character - my awesome Barbarian - it took me 104 hours before I found my first legendary. And do you know what it was? A quiver. Something was wrong there, and I remember that moment - what happened?”
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem
Mar 11, 2015, 13:58
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 11, 2015, 13:58
Mar 11, 2015, 13:58

Up the difficulty level then... can make a huge difference.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Mar 11, 2015, 13:23
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 11, 2015, 13:23
Mar 11, 2015, 13:23

Just got the expansion for dirt cheap (20 bucks yay!) and started playing again.

I know the difficulty ramps up but jeebus the loot system feels like it's trying to buy my affection by showering me with gifts. It's better than the original loot system I guess in that I'm getting interesting stuff, but "rares" aren't rare any more and rolling a new toon is kind of an exercise in boredom. I don't feel challenged at all.

Mar 6, 2015, 23:39
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 23:39
Mar 6, 2015, 23:39

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 22:47:
Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 21:53:
Exactly what I have trying to drive into these guys heads. Barbs suck, period! Solo dont mean shit when it comes to this games end game content.
Oh, that's right. I forgot we decided to let you be the arbiter of the correct way to play games. If we don't play them like you do, we are doing it wrong. Sorry 'bout that... carry on. Confused

Ya indeed. Dark, I'm sure there are thousands of people on the solo class leaderboards that would be happy to tell you that you are full of shit.

End-game doesn't hinge on solo or 4 player rifts. It hinges on them all, solo, 2, 3, and 4 player; non-seasonal and seasonal, normal and hardcore...leaderboards for them all.

Last I checked there wasn't something that said if you aren't in a 4 player group that you are playing it wrong.

Mar 6, 2015, 22:47
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 22:47
Mar 6, 2015, 22:47

Exactly what I have trying to drive into these guys heads. Barbs suck, period! Solo dont mean shit when it comes to this games end game content.
Oh, that's right. I forgot we decided to let you be the arbiter of the correct way to play games. If we don't play them like you do, we are doing it wrong. Sorry 'bout that... carry on. Confused
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Mar 6, 2015, 22:13
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 22:13
Mar 6, 2015, 22:13

Krovven wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 21:49:
Even better you can look at the actual rankings on battle.net.

There isn't a single Barb in any of the top 100 groups 4 player groups. I didn't look beyond that but I'm sure that goes on for awhile down the list.

Barbarians suck in high end GR groups. They do ok solo.

They need to be tweaked to do better in groups.

Not sure why some of you are arguing over facts.

Holy fuck is all you see is black and white? Barbs do not suck. They do fine solo. They are fine in GR up to a certain point. They do not "suck". They just need to be tweaked to do better in 40+ groups.

Mar 6, 2015, 21:53
Darks

Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 21:53
Mar 6, 2015, 21:53
 Darks

Krovven wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 21:49:

There isn't a single Barb in any of the top 100 groups 4 player groups. I didn't look beyond that but I'm sure that goes on for awhile down the list.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Mar 6, 2015, 21:49
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 21:49
Mar 6, 2015, 21:49

Mar 6, 2015, 20:10
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 20:10
Mar 6, 2015, 20:10

Keilun wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 17:58:
Here:
http://www.diabloprogress.com/class.barbarian
Even better: http://www.diabloprogress.com/rating.stat_grift_solo_s0

Barbs all over the leaderboard under "all".

Mar 6, 2015, 19:48
Cutter

Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 19:48
Mar 6, 2015, 19:48
 Cutter

Loved Diablo. Liked Diablo 2. Didn't care at all for Diablo III. I played through it once and have zero desire to revisit it or even the expansion. Blizzard lost its magic a while back. And that's Kodick's fault for trying to strangle every scrap of gold out of the golden goose.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Mar 6, 2015, 19:23
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 19:23
Mar 6, 2015, 19:23

d3 is a bad diablo game. it looks and plays like it was made by WOW developers, there's no trading, and the skill "tree" is simplified too much. POE and D3 are both diablo on steroids, but at least POE kind of FEELS like diablo

Mar 6, 2015, 19:00
Slick

Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 19:00
Mar 6, 2015, 19:00
 Slick

i just wanna say, that i don't have a goddamned clue what people are saying in this thread, but it's nice to have people getting irrationally emotional about game mechanics instead of just getting mad at publishers ^_^

also it sounds insanely nerdy with all the abbreviations, keep it up
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Mar 6, 2015, 17:58
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 17:58
Mar 6, 2015, 17:58

Here:

http://www.diabloprogress.com/class.barbarian

GRift Solo leaderboards for barbarians.
HC tops out at 44
SC tops out at 51

Mar 6, 2015, 17:26
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 17:26
Mar 6, 2015, 17:26

Number of paragon levels is totally meaningless, it's easily botted and more importantly it's not a meaningful reflection of expertise in the game.

Mar 6, 2015, 16:09
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 16:09
Mar 6, 2015, 16:09

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:55:
I Really want to see you make a Video of your so called Awesome Barb and show me in a GR 40 plus taking on the GRift boss all by your lonesome self and lets see how long it takes you to kill that GRift boss.

You mean like this? Or do you mean how the lowest rank on the Solo barbarian leaderboard is 43 and that's the 1000th position? Even if he played a Wizard, a class which truly needs help, he'd still be able to do it if he was good.

What the rest of us can take away from this is that your brother who got 700 Paragon points isn't good, you're incredibly butthurt about it and this conversation debate ignorance is enough to put you on block out of fear that the next thing you say will cause my head to explode.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 16:39.

Mar 6, 2015, 16:02
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 16:02
Mar 6, 2015, 16:02

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:55:
you guys are frcking delusional,, the ONLY way to do a 50 plus GRift is with a DH and a WD carries you ass all the way through it. I Really want to see you make a Video of your so called Awesome Barb and show me in a GR 40 plus taking on the GRift boss all by your lonesome self and lets see how long it takes you to kill that GRift boss.

I get that you don't actually play the game much more so your brother does, but just take a look at the solo Barbarian leaderboards. It was even linked to you earlier - they top out at 51.

Mar 6, 2015, 15:55
Darks

Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 15:55
Mar 6, 2015, 15:55
 Darks

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 14:32:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 13:11:
Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 11:12:
Sorry, but you are full of shit. The Barb is horrible. The only classes anyone will play with are Monks, DH and WD's and Crusaders all other classes are considered worthless to the higher tier players. And monk's barley fall into that category, they are only useful as Palm Monks.

Sorry, buttercup, the facts don't lie:

Barbarian can do up to GR 50 just like all the other classes. Just because you fraternize with elitist min-maxing metagame assholes is no proof of a class being bad. Half DPS and half zDPS tank/control groups are popular because it allows a lot of people to participate in higher tiers than they'd otherwise be able to. There's less skill and quality gear required.

Exactly - there are some folks who just want to push GR as far as they can. In those groups and in that game mode, the only classes they want to use are the most optimal - DPS DH, CC/Buff Crusader, CC WD.

Here's another example - pet WD. Not the greatest build in the game, but very solid and can go reasonably far in GR. Pretty tanky, with solid crowd control, etc.

It COMPLETELY falls apart in speed T6 runs, however due to a lack of AOE burst damage (and really fast movement skills.) Some folks ONLY speed T6 runs, so for those people they think pet WD is horrible.

For one part of the content, they are notably mediocre to poor but for mid to upper GR, they are pretty decent.

I would never consider pet WD horrible (far from it), but they excel where Raekor barbs have issues (single target), and fail where Raekor barbs excel (movement speed and AOE.)

you guys are frcking delusional,, the ONLY way to do a 50 plus GRift is with a DH and a WD carries you ass all the way through it. I Really want to see you make a Video of your so called Awesome Barb and show me in a GR 40 plus taking on the GRift boss all by your lonesome self and lets see how long it takes you to kill that GRift boss.

And let me clue you in, the only way to level your gems is to do those high GFifts that are 45 and up. Good luck trying that crap at level 30 you wont be getting very far.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Mar 6, 2015, 15:52
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 15:52
Mar 6, 2015, 15:52

Keilun wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:41:
2.2 looks like happy days for WW barbs though. That Skull Grasp and new IK Set for perma fury and WotB should make for fun times.

I still don't think it'll make them desirable at the competitive high end GRs, but I don't particularly care about that. I just like to mess around with builds.

Seems so!

My favorite way of playing the game is to go efficient mode and play the OP builds/sets to get the items for fun mode.

In T6 as long as your build isn't horribly optimized you can play it with almost any skills with some modicum of success.

Mar 6, 2015, 15:41
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 15:41
Mar 6, 2015, 15:41

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:01:
...or quit. I've pretty much run out of juice at this point because the builds I like aren't considered optimal like my Triple Tornado WW Barbarian or the always entertaining Grinning Reaver WD which struggle.

2.2 looks like happy days for WW barbs though. That Skull Grasp and new IK Set for perma fury and WotB should make for fun times.

I still don't think it'll make them desirable at the competitive high end GRs, but I don't particularly care about that. I just like to mess around with builds.

Mar 6, 2015, 15:34
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 15:34
Mar 6, 2015, 15:34

Oops, lost the link I was previously trying to post somewhere along the way: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/rankings/era/2/rift-barbarian

Mar 6, 2015, 15:01
Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 15:01
Mar 6, 2015, 15:01

Darks, I think we agree that competitive, high-end greater rifts are restricted to very specific classes so there's no need to get worked up about it and act as though we don't see that as a problem. The fact of the matter is is that if you're not a M6 Demon Hunter, Tiklandian + SMK Witch Doctor, or Final Witness Crusader, you're absolutely going to be excluded from competitive play. We all acknowledge that and I am sure we all think that it's bullshit but that's typical Blizzard balance but there comes a point where us mere mortals will not be able to achieve the level of play as others. For me, GR40 is a great group goal but there are other groups which are 60+.

All we can do RIGHT NOW is wait and see whether or not the new sets, re-purposed vanilla sets, and legendary items will allow greater build diversity for competitive play rather than repeating the garbage job they've been doing up until this point and forcing cookie cutter teams to default to the top.

In the mean time, you can either come to terms that being a Barbarian is going to limit your level of content in group play since Blizzard isn't going to do anything about it till 2.2 (hopefully) -OR- you can take 30 minutes with the proper gear, T6 and a friend (or good guy redditor) to reroll a new character that is capable of achieving higher content if that is what you want.

...or quit. I've pretty much run out of juice at this point because the builds I like aren't considered optimal like my Triple Tornado WW Barbarian or the always entertaining Grinning Reaver WD which struggle.
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older