Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming

ArenaNet announces it is debuting two playable demos for Guild Wars 2 to attendees of PAX East this weekend, one PvE and the other PvP. They don't say when these will be publicly released (technically, they don't actually confirm they even will be), but they do outline what they will demonstrate from the MMORPG:
ArenaNet is bringing the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns demo to fans at PAX East after announcing it as the first expansion to Guild Wars 2 in January at PAX South. Fans should line up early at ArenaNetís booth (#5116) to get their hands on two different demos. There is a PvE demo that takes players on the first steps of the journey into the new Heart of Maguuma jungle, where they can experience the revenant, the entirely new playable profession coming with the expansion. They can also get a glimpse of the Mastery system, ArenaNetís new approach to introducing endgame progression in an MMO. There is also a PvP demo of the all-new Stronghold game mode. Stronghold introduces new strategy and role-play into PvP with a mode where teams become either pirates or knights who must infiltrate and defend ground to kill the enemy lord. In addition to the opportunity to get hands-on with Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, ArenaNet will have a stage at its booth running developer-hosted demos, guest play sessions with popular online Guild Wars 2 streamers and trivia contests with prizes.
View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 20:29 Retired

Fion wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:47:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 19:13:
I haven't touched Guild Wars 2 in ages. Something about 'hey if you really want to level up, you take your character and go hit every single starting zone and go from there', not to mention I've hit several issues with under-leveling and then trying to do my story missions.

I've always heard this but I've never experienced it. I suspect it's people coming from WoW - the first MMO for most gamers - who think the content that drives the game is the heart tasks that are scattered around the zones. If you jump from one to the next - like jumping from quest hub to quest hub - and never do any of the myriad events that pop up most commonly in and around the hearts (especially in early levels), you absolutely don't get enough xp to level past the zone. You need to treat GW2 leveling as a dynamic experience. Everything gives you xp, so gather, craft, do your story, do events, stick around as they often chain into different ones and tell a cohesive story, explore every nook and cranny of a zone as the game really rewards exploration and get Zone Completion, which itself has good rewards and nets 1/2 a level or more. As someone who has always done this, I always out-leveled a zone before I got Zone Completion. I never once had to go to another similarly leveled zone to get more levels so I could advance. Oh and the personal story is now set every 10 levels and nets you 2-3 levels and decent gear for those levels.

Its one of the reasons I think some people dislike the game, it doesn't pull you by the hand from content hub to content hub ala WoW, (though it holds your hand more these days if you want it too) and a fair number of people just do not know what to do without that hand holding.

As to the Demo, yes Blue they aren't talking about releasing demos but rather that the Heart of Thorns expansion will be demoed at PAX East for people to play. Each person gets 40 minutes to try either PvE (new class, new area) or 5v5 PvP (new mode called Conquest).

FYI for anyone who might be interested in the game and missed the sale about a month back, it's once again 75% off. $10 for the regular ed, $15 for the Deluxe ed through Sunday the 8th.

Great post Fion. I don't know how to do it, and don't know how much I will play because of a life event, but add me if you want. I am pretty early in the game, but enjoy it immensely.

(my login shows "Welcome xXBatmanXx")

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 19:32 Endo

Fion wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:47:

I've always heard this but I've never experienced it. I suspect it's people coming from WoW - the first MMO for most gamers - who think the content that drives the game is the heart tasks that are scattered around the zones. If you jump from one to the next - like jumping from quest hub to quest hub - and never do any of the myriad events that pop up most commonly in and around the hearts (especially in early levels), you absolutely don't get enough xp to level past the zone. You need to treat GW2 leveling as a dynamic experience. Everything gives you xp, so gather, craft, do your story, do events, stick around as they often chain into different ones and tell a cohesive story, explore every nook and cranny of a zone as the game really rewards exploration and get Zone Completion, which itself has good rewards and nets 1/2 a level or more. As someone who has always done this, I always out-leveled a zone before I got Zone Completion. I never once had to go to another similarly leveled zone to get more levels so I could advance. Oh and the personal story is now set every 10 levels and nets you 2-3 levels and decent gear for those levels.

Its one of the reasons I think some people dislike the game, it doesn't pull you by the hand from content hub to content hub ala WoW, (though it holds your hand more these days if you want it too) and a fair number of people just do not know what to do without that hand holding.

For me, it was because the game became very boring, very quickly. Once I did one zone's worth of hearts and events, everything else was more or less the same with slight variations. None of the boss encounters were particularly unique or interesting; everything was mostly just spam DPS and avoid the bad stuff. A lot of the zones felt too similar as well.

I bring these things up, because these are some of the things that for me make it inferior to other games, such as WoW and GW. Yes, I finally got bored of those games as well, but not until I put in thousands of hours and hundreds of dollars. Time was probably around 4K for WoW, and 3K for GW. GW2 lasted maybe 300-400 hours. I got two characters to level cap, had one fairly well geared out. But the last 100 hours at least was a chore, and not much fun at all.

The reason GW held my interest was all the skill variety, and the huge number of builds you could do. And along with that, it didn't take long to level a class to cap, so you could easily have a character of every class at level cap and experiment with everything. The rest of the content wasn't necessarily better than GW2, but the skill system made up for it and then a great deal more.

The reason WoW held my interest for so long was simply the sheer variety. Every zone felt unique. Every class felt unique. The bosses were interesting and unique. Even the quests had a lot more variety than the leveling content in any other MMO.

In GW2, unfortunately, the very things that were supposed to be innovative and make it better than WoW, actually made it more boring and worse overall. Doing away with dedicated healers didn't help, because it turned all content into DPS-spam+dodging. Doing away with quests didn't help, because everything just became repetitious hearts and events.

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 15:47 Fion

I haven't touched Guild Wars 2 in ages. Something about 'hey if you really want to level up, you take your character and go hit every single starting zone and go from there', not to mention I've hit several issues with under-leveling and then trying to do my story missions.

As to the Demo, yes Blue they aren't talking about releasing demos but rather that the Heart of Thorns expansion will be demoed at PAX East for people to play. Each person gets 40 minutes to try either PvE (new class, new area) or 5v5 PvP (new mode called Conquest).

FYI for anyone who might be interested in the game and missed the sale about a month back, it's once again 75% off. $10 for the regular ed, $15 for the Deluxe ed through Sunday the 8th.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 16:00.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 12:20 Axis

Few were more annoyed and disappointed with GW2's direction than I was compared to GW. And while I was right about most things comparing, for my kid it's been the best mmo ever - he and his friends do wvw/pvp every day; it's *very* popular among their age group.

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 09:42 Darks

Someone needs to learn how to use his Graphics Options in the game and adjust them accordingly if you are seeing 8 bit graphics.

But hey, thanks for the good laugh.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 08:56 BitWraith

Jonjonz wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 07:53:
This game is so over, logged in after being gone for 2 years, completely deserted.

Silly hats, jumping puzzles, and crappy 8bit graphics just don't fill the bill for most people.

Completely deserted? I play every single night, and I can assure you that the game is not "completely deserted". I certainly wouldn't have to put my characters visible slider on low if that were the case.

Big Box PC Game Collectors - https://www.facebook.com/groups/311204112360601/

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 08:53 Verno

This game is so over, logged in after being gone for 2 years, completely deserted.

Silly hats, jumping puzzles, and crappy 8bit graphics just don't fill the bill for most people.

8 bit graphics? Bwahaha. 2/10 sir.

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 08:46 Morgan19

completely deserted.

That's laughably incorrect.

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 6, 2015, 07:53 Jonjonz

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 23:36 Frijoles

Game goes on sale for 75% off starting tomorrow for a few days. I plan on buying another copy for a friend of mine that's about to burn out of WoW.  

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 20:57 Squirmer

Wildone wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 20:27:
A demo like 3 yrs after it came out? EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Demo of the expansion content obviously.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 20:41 jacobvandy

loomy wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 19:03:
this looks like a misinterpretation to me blue. they're just talking about showing the game at the show, like every other game at the show

This. They're letting people play the expansion at PAX, that's it.

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 20:27 Wildone

A demo like 3 yrs after it came out? EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 20:21 Retired

The game was like 12 bucks the week of Jan 23rd. Grabbed it - no brainer.  

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 20:11 Wallshadows

I recently logged in and realized I got the usual Birthday mail. In the end, I got several level 20 instant tokens, some 100% experience bonus tokens for 24 (in game) hours, and random bags full of goodies. Hopefully I can use the level 20 token and chain those grinding buffs for the Revenant. Throw in crafting XP buffs and having tons of mats doing nothing, I suspect I'll be 80 within a few hours tops.

I wish the Revenant could channel the powers of Tybalt and you could throw Apples at people.

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 19:39 Cutter

Agreed. Also I don't understand what they've been doing for the last 2 years. At least with WoW and most MMOs things are clearly delineated with their expansions. You have to make it easy and clear for returning players.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 19:13 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 19:03 loomy

this looks like a misinterpretation to me blue. they're just talking about showing the game at the show, like every other game at the show  

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Demos Coming Mar 5, 2015, 18:37 Wallshadows

Look forward to the feedback.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >