Source Engine 2 Announced

Valve officially announces the Source Engine 2, saying they will make this available free to content developers. Word is they plan on fully supporting Vulkan, the API formerly known as Next Generation OpenGL. Here's the deal:
Valve announced the Source 2 engine, the successor to the Source engine used in Valve's games since the launch of Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2. "The value of a platform like the PC is how much it increases the productivity of those who use the platform. With Source 2, our focus is increasing creator productivity. Given how important user generated content is becoming, Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favorite games," said Valve's Jay Stelly. "We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers. This combined with recent announcements by Epic and Unity will help continue the PCs dominance as the premiere content authoring platform."

Also as part of supporting PC gaming, Valve announced that it will be releasing a Vulkan-compatible version of the Source 2 engine. Vulkan is a cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API that allows game developers to get the most out of the latest graphics hardware, and ensures hardware developers that there is a consistent, low overhead method of taking advantage of products. Vulkan, previously called Next Generation OpenGL, is administered by the Khronos Group, along with other standards such as OpenCL, OpenGL, and WebGL.
View : : :
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Source Engine 2 Announced
Mar 8, 2015, 19:59
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 8, 2015, 19:59
Mar 8, 2015, 19:59

*still waiting for the next iteration of GLIDE to come out*
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Mar 5, 2015, 14:13
Dev
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 5, 2015, 14:13
Mar 5, 2015, 14:13
Dev

Bigger news is valve announced 50% growth last year!
http://store.steampowered.com/news/16000/

Mar 4, 2015, 21:15
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 21:15
Mar 4, 2015, 21:15

I would love to see 25% the effort put into DoD in the new engine as they have put into TF.

Mar 4, 2015, 18:46
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 18:46
Mar 4, 2015, 18:46

They had to notice, for example, that the Surface Pro is considered a tablet yet can easily replace 90% of what traditional laptops can do

That's really because a SurfacePro is a laptop with a touchscreen, it's not a tablet with a keyboard. I don't know anyone that considers it a tablet outside of Microsoft's PR team.

It certainly does not have much better battery life than a similarly powered laptop.

Mar 4, 2015, 14:14
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 14:14
Mar 4, 2015, 14:14

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 09:09:

At this point I'm sure they are holding the series hostage in order to have a killer app for Linux-based Steam machines if Microsoft really does pull out the rug under their feet with future iterations of Windows where a Steam app might be put under severe restrictions and regulation.

The tinfoil is strong with this one.

Mar 4, 2015, 12:25
El Pit

Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 12:25
Mar 4, 2015, 12:25
 El Pit

MacLeod wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 10:02:
InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 09:40:
I lost interest in HL when they went episodic. I got the Orange Box for TF2 (when it used to NOT be free) and for kicks installed episode 1 and 2 just to check them out. Lost interest about half way through...

Well, considering that Valve apparently lost interest 66% of the way through on Episodes (Episode 3 never came out), you weren't that far behind them.

Stop hating episodic gaming! IT'S THE FUTURE! With Source Engine 2, "Sin: Episode 2" should be out any century now!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Mar 4, 2015, 12:24
El Pit

Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 12:24
Mar 4, 2015, 12:24
 El Pit

Necrophob wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 11:20:
Maybe the reason they haven't done HL3 yet is because they can't get Blue to hold still for the artists to draw? :/

I always thought that "Breaking Bad" was starring Gordon Freeman! But why did they call him "Walter"?!
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Mar 4, 2015, 12:23
El Pit

Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 12:23
Mar 4, 2015, 12:23
 El Pit

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 09:00:
I'm quite content waiting for HL3 and I hope people temper their expectations so we don't get a DNF scenario.

Exactly! Don't rush it! Take your time with Half-Life 3! A few decades more or less - who cares as long as the game will be good!

Mar 4, 2015, 12:15
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 12:15
Mar 4, 2015, 12:15

If I ran a company with a ridiculously large revenue stream that gave me the creative freedom to do whatever I want, the last thing I would choose to work on would be endless sequels to a stale franchise.

Valve doesn't need HL3 at all. If they are working on it, wonderful. They'll have a lot of ecstatic fans. If not, I look forward to whatever their next project is.

Mar 4, 2015, 11:20
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 11:20
Mar 4, 2015, 11:20

Maybe the reason they haven't done HL3 yet is because they can't get Blue to hold still for the artists to draw? :/

Mar 4, 2015, 10:26
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 10:26
Mar 4, 2015, 10:26

I believe there is a larger plan afoot here other than a single title.

Valve has, to some degree, invested in *nix. While Steam Machines may, or may not, become a reality, there is still active development being done on SteamOS. I believe this is to allow Valve employees to gain both experience and insight in to the most popular kernel in the world as well as derivatives thereof. Valve is now also heavily pushing Vulkan which is platform independent and scalable for many different type of video architectures. They are also very active on its steering committee.

I believe that Valve wants Steam to become a platform that runs natively on everything from their upcoming VR efforts to phones, tablets, PCs and possibly even backend applications. I am sure they would like to offer people the ability to transition seamlessly from using an application on their phone or tablet to their PC/HTPC/console when they get home, whatever those devices might be.

Valve, as a company, is certainly not stupid. They have to be aware that phones and tablets are just going to continue to increase in hardware capability. They had to notice, for example, that the Surface Pro is considered a tablet yet can easily replace 90% of what traditional laptops can do. Not only can the Surface Pro do what a laptop can do, it can do so just as, if not moreso, powerfully and for a lot longer on battery power alone. It is safe to assume that companies like Apple and Samsung are working on devices that can offer respective performance on iOS and Android as well.

How Source 2 ties in to that is really obvious. To be able to offer that seamless cross-platform experience, you need something to drive it and Source 2 is it for the opening round. This is especially clear with this: "Valve announced that it will be releasing a Vulkan-compatible version of the Source 2 engine. Vulkan is a cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API that allows game developers to get the most out of the latest graphics hardware, and ensures hardware developers that there is a consistent, low overhead method of taking advantage of products."

Consistency across all platforms? Low overhead? If I have a well built PC, why does low overhead matter? Because low overhead means that I can expect good performance on devices that aren't my ridiculously overpowered PC, such as my Note 3.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 4, 2015, 10:02
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 10:02
Mar 4, 2015, 10:02

InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 09:40:
I lost interest in HL when they went episodic. I got the Orange Box for TF2 (when it used to NOT be free) and for kicks installed episode 1 and 2 just to check them out. Lost interest about half way through...

Well, considering that Valve apparently lost interest 66% of the way through on Episodes (Episode 3 never came out), you weren't that far behind them.

Mar 4, 2015, 10:01
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 10:01
Mar 4, 2015, 10:01

Task wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 09:23:
And if Valve has, in the background has some HL3 sitting on half-life developer desk computers they keep rolling their chairs away from to go play DoTA and CS development tables, the "Gabe" probably has decided to scrap various early concepts of HL3 as well trying to come up with the "perfect" thing and losing focus.

You are probably right there. HL2 was delayed because Gabe Newell only cared to make Steam a monopoly at the time holding the CS players hostage to get it going. Now he obviously wants Steam to catch up with the consoles and VR devices so why should he care about a single old game? The HL2 delay story continues all over again!

Mar 4, 2015, 09:40
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 09:40
Mar 4, 2015, 09:40

Still HL1 and HL2 were very memorable, and I loved both games equally. Would have enjoyed a third game, this episodic shit just leads to fragmentation of story, feature creep etc.

One of the reasons the Squadron42 announcement had me spitting and fuming is of course related to all the episodic success stories which have come before it: the count currently stands at....zero.
I have a nifty blue line!

Mar 4, 2015, 09:24
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 09:24
Mar 4, 2015, 09:24

I don't disagree CJ, I still enjoy playing them but they are definitely a formula that has been improved upon since. More than anything else I really like their level design and Valve always comes up with interesting new mechanics for FPS stuff so I'm excited to see what they've done since.

Mar 4, 2015, 09:23
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 09:23
Mar 4, 2015, 09:23

Duke Nukem Forever was hardly a copy of the original game. It had some of the childish humor, but the puzzle solving, multiple pathway levels were gone. At one point it probably had an interesting design, but got scrapped and rebuilt so many times they simply lost focus throwing in common pitfalls of new modern FPS (linear design, on rails shooting, restricted boss fights) instead of making the game how it should be like the original.

And if Valve has, in the background has some HL3 sitting on half-life developer desk computers they keep rolling their chairs away from to go play DoTA and CS development tables, the "Gabe" probably has decided to scrap various early concepts of HL3 as well trying to come up with the "perfect" thing and losing focus.

Mar 4, 2015, 09:09
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 09:09
Mar 4, 2015, 09:09

Stop for a second, try to stop being hyped and just ask yourselves a few simple questions: Is HL's (1 + 2 + episodes) story really interesting enough to crave a sequel? Do the characters in HL have any depth and do you really care about these characters and what might happen to them next? Is the HL gameworld really a place worth caring about... did it have enough depth, lore and memorable places that should be revisited? Was the gameplay in the HL series truly unique enough so that a new iteration of the game warrants the hype surrounding it?

I'd be very surprised if anyone could answer these questions with a capital YES. What HL had going for it, is it was the first real story-driven FPS. Many games in the action genre have been released ever since that have easily dethroned HL. Even if you'd limit the scope to pure FPS, there are story-driven shooters like the BioShocks, Dead Space, Dishonored or Deus Ex Human Revolution just to name a few that run circles around HL.
This series is the most overrated in the history of gaming. HL (minus Xen IMHO)was great at its time as was HL2 but that's about it. It started falling apart with the episodes when it became apparent that Valve never had a grand vision for the series. If they did, they would have wrapped up HL2 with episode 3. The lack of episode 3 is proof that Valve sucks.

And about Valve not continuing this series ... heck, i dont know, do you, does anybody?

At this point I'm sure they are holding the series hostage in order to have a killer app for Linux-based Steam machines if Microsoft really does pull out the rug under their feet with future iterations of Windows where a Steam app might be put under severe restrictions and regulation.
And before calling BS on this because "MS would never do this", well, just think about their original plans with the Xbone. Or go back in history to the mid 1990s when MS pulled off several really shabby dick moves to establish itself as the no. 1 desktop OS provider.
Or the invention of the Xbox per se which in itself is a massive backstabbing of PC gamers.

Anyway, I'm sure Valve will be holding back HL3 until the day they need a killer app for whatever non-Windows/non-DirectX platform they might be forced to switch to. It is the ace up their sleeve or, going by the stupid hype surrounding HL3, the four aces up both their sleeves and both their ankle socks.

Mar 4, 2015, 09:04
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 09:04
Mar 4, 2015, 09:04

(cobbles up on a cane) Eh?...What?...What's that you say? Source? Source what? Oh, the Source engine! Yeah, I remember back in my day they said there'd be a sequel to that Half-Life game.... Eh? Eh? They finally announced it? Just the engine, they announced? Well what good is that? Bah, come get me if they ever finally make a game again....if I'm still alive that is... (shuffles off)

Mar 4, 2015, 09:00
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 09:00
Mar 4, 2015, 09:00

I'm quite content waiting for HL3 and I hope people temper their expectations so we don't get a DNF scenario.

Mar 4, 2015, 08:41
Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 08:41
Mar 4, 2015, 08:41

NKD wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 08:34:
Why haven't they done it then if it's so easy? A small refinement doesn't take 11 years.
I havent said that it is easy to make a worthy Half-Life 3. I just commented on your assumption that HL3 has to be different than its predecessors.

And about Valve not continuing this series ... heck, i dont know, do you, does anybody?
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older