Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Unreal Engine 4 Free

Epic Games announces they are dropping subscription fees from Unreal Engine 4, making the game engine and all future updates free to use for everyone, with the only stipulation being a 5% royalty after the first $3,000 in quarterly gross revenue per commercial product. The latest version of Epic's development system launched about a year ago with that 5% royalty as well as a $19.00 monthly fee, which has now been dropped. There's a post from Epic CEO Tim Sweeney covering the news on the Unreal Engine website including this video. Here's word on the deal:
This is the complete technology we use at Epic when building our own games. It scales from indie projects to high-end blockbusters; it supports all the major platforms; and it includes 100% of the C++ source code. Our goal is to give you absolutely everything, so that you can do anything and be in control of your schedule and your destiny. Whatever you require to build and ship your game, you can find it in UE4, source it in the Marketplace, or build it yourself and then share it with others.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 4, 2015, 00:49 Slick

Slow down there Morpheus, I'm popping red pills as fast as I can and I still can't understand what the hell you're talking about.

so, people don't have free will?

nobody makes choices, we're just here to understand them?

whoa

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 22:03 Suppa7

Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 03:10:
I think he was referring to what Valve actually said in the 4-year legal battle leading up to the creation of steam after they won their case against their then-publisher Vivendi.

Valve made no secrets in public statements, as in the courtroom, to their idea that the content creators have the legal right to be able to publish their own works. This was to primarily give a higher percentage of profits to the people who actually created the content, it was only assumed by many that this would translate to lower game costs. (and if you look at any comparison of how much games have cost over the last 25 years, with inflation taken into account, games HAVE gotten cheaper, but that's another point).

But their main argument from what I remember (and i followed every shred of news from the inception of their suit against vivendi), was that it's within a studio's right to self-publish, rewarding the content creators with a proper share of their creation's earnings, rather than pay a 3rd party like Vivendi the lion's share.

They were definitely taking more than %30, however the irony is palpable.

Except it was always bullshit, people don't work according to free market theory (aka 'free to decide') because human beings are driven by biochemical processes, not "choice". It's all an illusion, what's more true is inertia, mass, energy, etc. What people are really driven by since all actions cost biological resources and people want to minimize them (thinking/acting). So you get inertia - the success of the easiest/laziest (aka steam). Steam became such a powerhouse because it makes everything easy (aka minimum energy expenditure) and you get everything all in one place.

Same deal with mega corps like wal-mart or other grocery stores that are basically 'everything stores' (aka games, food, etc). Everything consolidates because its geometrically efficient in space and time and hence you get monopoly. Free market theory was never true it's just one small cultures particular conception of economics. Trade was conducted radically differently in many periods of history. Most people can't see beyond the era in which they exist because it takes quite a bit of time and is energy intensive to recover some sense of the past.

52. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 12:07 siapnar

Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 09:50:
well, the alternative to steam is people buying games from the people who actually make them, not a 3rd party store taking a huge cut for zero investment in the game at all
Yeah, but then each developer needs to create a distributing platform to get their game out there.
So either way, a distribution platform is needed, but a cheaper, possibly less flashy one and more in tune with developer's needs.

but now that Steam is established so solidly, I don't think we'll see another big platform that's as successful.. forget being cheaper

51. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 09:50 Slick

siapnar wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 09:06:
Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 06:28:
Bunch o stuff
I tend to agree with this, but according to other people in this thread, the alternative to Steam is just as pricey

well, the alternative to steam is people buying games from the people who actually make them, not a 3rd party store taking a huge cut for zero investment in the game at all. It's people who are deathly afraid to have a different e-store on their computer, that's the issue. Valve's trial with Vivendi blew open the gates for all developers to self-publish, the case was precedent for all. Any developer has rights to the same share of the profit valve gets (%100) from their own games, and it's unfortunate that because of gamers, they cannot claim this right.

Valve was handsomely rewarded for the big scary gamble they took (4 year legal battle against a multinational conglomeration was pricey), they got most of the market share. but now they've become the new 3rd party taking their cut, the same they once fought against.

But this time it isn't the iron-clad legalese of a megacorporation contract... instead it's the free will of the consumer base, who seem content to only really shop at one store.

And that's the real sign that this generation is fucked.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

50. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 09:06 siapnar

Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 06:28:
Bunch o stuff
I tend to agree with this, but according to other people in this thread, the alternative to Steam is just as pricey

49. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 09:02 siapnar

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 08:52:
I haven't... are you saying UE4 games are moddable and have free FOV? Example?
You can set the FOV to anything right in the editor, it's just up to the devs to actually implement it in games. So the fault is not inherent to UE4.

Modding is what's happening with UT4 for example. There will be a TON of content that is free and a ton of content that isn't.
On top of that, the actual game is free.
I really don't see many negatives pertaining to UE4 (apart from a bunch of functions in the editor that don't do what they god damn should)

But yea...

48. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 08:52 eRe4s3r

siapnar wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 08:47:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 23:55:
Whenever I hear Unreal Engine 4 I think "locked FOV, no modding"
;/
Then you've obviously not used it.

I haven't... are you saying UE4 games are moddable and have free FOV? Example?

47. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 08:47 siapnar

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 23:55:
;/
Then you've obviously not used it.

46. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 06:28 Slick

it's very heartening to see that people are finally starting to wake up to the fact that the infallible Steam is literally just a wal-mart, they undercut other services, push others out of the market, and charge game devs a handful. However since they have %80 market share, no one can compete with them. The choice is go with steam and make a lot of sales for next to nothing each or try your own competing service, and go out of business.

%30 is HUUUUUUGE, imagine making %31 profit after all your development, marketing, licencing, employee benefits, support, patches, building rental, electrocity/heating, and paying X employees a FAIR wage... and then Valve taking %30. enjoy your %1 profit game dev!

And to me the real difference with Steam is, compared to it's competitors, they don't really MAKE GAMES. They don't employ many people in the gaming industry, they're jus tpocketing boatloads of cash.

Say what you will about EA and Ubisoft, they actually make games! they make a lot of games actually! Ubisoft has 9000 employees in it's MANY studios across the globe. That's putting food on the table for a lot of developers. EA on the otherhand employs 8300 people.

Valve on the other hand, looks like about 200 people? give or take?. And they put a game out maybe once every 2-3 years. The last real title they put out I'd consider to be Portal 2, back in March 2010. 5 years ago.

The "other guys" have more employees working customer service than Valve does in their entire corporation. And they make billions a year son. why people have this fanatical devotion to this digital Wal-mart is so beyond me I'll never come to terms with it. And how one videogame store can be sagely, and another videogame store can be FUCKING EVIL. guess which stores actually puts money back into gaming?

45. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 04:54 djinn

chickenboo wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 21:08:
Before digital delivery services, I remember gaming magazines (and myself) griping about the high price of games and how much of that price was due to publisher fees, delivery fees, and shelving fees. Part of the idea of digital delivery services was to cut out the middlemen between the gamer and the developer, to cut out the publishing costs, shipping costs, and shelf costs, of games so gamers could enjoy lower prices and stop supporting annoying store fronts. I think on balance, Steam and services like it have been a massive boon to PC gaming. OTOH, hearing about their 30% up-front fee makes it sound as if all those cost-cutting gains have been lost. We've merely replaced several middle-men with one middleman.
I'm not anti-Steam by any means, and I'm glad to see Steam investing in new technology with their profits rather than mailing them off to shareholders. Also, I expect competition among content delivery services to be beneficial, provided they avoid making exclusive zones - the way Origin does (I may buy FC3 from Ubi but I want to play it with Steam, not their dumb software.)
Case in point, if you buy PoE from Obsidian's website, it's $44.99, but on Steam it's $49.99. So I'm paying $5 to activate it on Steam? hmmmmmm...

Not sure if I'm remembering this wrong, but weren't the retail stores throwing a hissy fit over steam considering game releases at a discount when they first opened?

44. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 03:46 DangerDog

Return of the shareware model of selling games? Want to unlock the rest of the game then pay for the content.

I think you could release a game for free, let everyone torrent it or whatever and if it's a multiplayer game just charge a nominal fee for things like stat tracking and rank progression. If you don't pay you can still play but you don't get the stat tracking.

43. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 03:10 Slick

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 02:36:
Part of the idea of digital delivery services was to cut out the middlemen between the gamer and the developer, to cut out the publishing costs, shipping costs, and shelf costs, of games so gamers could enjoy lower prices and stop supporting annoying store fronts.

I'm sorry but free market theory is religion for the masses. IT never was true, money is law in capitalist society. Money to own the law.

Copyright extension

Almost no culture will enter public domain

Public domain

How the grinch stole Public Domain

How they stole public domain

I think he was referring to what Valve actually said in the 4-year legal battle leading up to the creation of steam after they won their case against their then-publisher Vivendi.

Valve made no secrets in public statements, as in the courtroom, to their idea that the content creators have the legal right to be able to publish their own works. This was to primarily give a higher percentage of profits to the people who actually created the content, it was only assumed by many that this would translate to lower game costs. (and if you look at any comparison of how much games have cost over the last 25 years, with inflation taken into account, games HAVE gotten cheaper, but that's another point).

But their main argument from what I remember (and i followed every shred of news from the inception of their suit against vivendi), was that it's within a studio's right to self-publish, rewarding the content creators with a proper share of their creation's earnings, rather than pay a 3rd party like Vivendi the lion's share.

They were definitely taking more than %30, however the irony is palpable.

42. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 02:56 Bob

Necrophob wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:23:
I doubt the $19 was netting them too much anyways. I'm just a little disappointed, because I just got a materials pack I made put up on the Marketplace. As part of that, they gave me a "years free subscription". Jerks

Ah, but they gave everyone who subscribed at anytime a $30 voucher to spend on the market place. So there are a lot of people now with free money to spend on your necro packs.

41. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 3, 2015, 02:36 Suppa7

Part of the idea of digital delivery services was to cut out the middlemen between the gamer and the developer, to cut out the publishing costs, shipping costs, and shelf costs, of games so gamers could enjoy lower prices and stop supporting annoying store fronts.

I'm sorry but free market theory is religion for the masses. IT never was true, money is law in capitalist society. Money to own the law.

Copyright extension

Almost no culture will enter public domain

Public domain

How the grinch stole Public Domain

How they stole public domain

40. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 23:55 eRe4s3r

;/

39. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 23:06 Creston

So what really was the point of the $19 fee? It's not as if Epic was dying for that 108 bucks a year...

38. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 21:08 chickenboo

Before digital delivery services, I remember gaming magazines (and myself) griping about the high price of games and how much of that price was due to publisher fees, delivery fees, and shelving fees. Part of the idea of digital delivery services was to cut out the middlemen between the gamer and the developer, to cut out the publishing costs, shipping costs, and shelf costs, of games so gamers could enjoy lower prices and stop supporting annoying store fronts. I think on balance, Steam and services like it have been a massive boon to PC gaming. OTOH, hearing about their 30% up-front fee makes it sound as if all those cost-cutting gains have been lost. We've merely replaced several middle-men with one middleman.
I'm not anti-Steam by any means, and I'm glad to see Steam investing in new technology with their profits rather than mailing them off to shareholders. Also, I expect competition among content delivery services to be beneficial, provided they avoid making exclusive zones - the way Origin does (I may buy FC3 from Ubi but I want to play it with Steam, not their dumb software.)
Case in point, if you buy PoE from Obsidian's website, it's $44.99, but on Steam it's $49.99. So I'm paying $5 to activate it on Steam? hmmmmmm...

37. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 19:42 Silicon Avatar

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:53:
Axis wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:42:
Ahh the sweet sound of capitalism and competition - thanks Unity!

Unity has nothing to do with this. Unity has made absolutely no dent in AAA games, which Unreal owns. It's made a big dent in mobile games, which UE4 isn't yet optimized for.

Disagree. Unity has a bunch of indie developers (and some pro developers) who are using it on their Kickstarters. Today's indie might be tomorrow's AAA.

I can guess that Epic is looking at that and not wanting to be marginalized out of future titles or have the deck stacked against them because all the hot developers of 2020 cut their teeth on Unity and have some fondness for it.

I think it's a big potshot at Unity myself.

36. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 19:20 CrimsonPaw

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:30:
In related news the Unreal Tournament pre-alpha is actually looking really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tNU2jgTZU
Played some UT3 over the weekend and forgot how much fun that series is (even when you're getting your ass kicked). Just wish there were more players out there - it felt like a lot of the players were bots.

Really looking forward to this new UT.

~~Crim~~

35. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 18:53 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:49:
Lastly, Assault mode, or GTFO.

Instagib FTMFW!!!11

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >