Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

What Color Is This Dress? The fight is between white & gold versus blue & black. So what does the colorblind guy see? Blue & gold. I'm not trying to be different, that's genuinely how I see it, though this is a little influenced by the question, as I would describe the gold as more of a brown. Anyway, in spite of my color issues, seems I am pretty close to being right. Weird.

R.I.P.: Earl Lloyd, 1st black player to appear in NBA game, dies.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Tap Heroes.
Mario Physics Adventure.
Trollface Quest Sports.
Link: Zombie outbreak: Statistical mechanics reveal the ideal hideout.
Stories: Ford Set, Villenueve To Helm "Blade Runner 2."
Supreme court justice cites Dr. Seuss.
Science: Gene that makes human brain unique identified by scientists.
Images: Thunderbirds Are Go: first pictures of new Lady Penelope and Brains.
Media: Elders Play Five Nights at Freddy's 2.
Electrical wiring problems. Will they post video of the fire?
Flow Hive - Honey directly on tap from your beehive.
Follow-up: "Alien 5" Won't Ignore Sequels After All?

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2015, 23:07 Ant

Blue and black to me.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2015, 01:45 descender

It absolutely explains that, trying reading it again.

It doesn't matter at all if you are all looking at the same picture on the same screen, you aren't looking at it with the same brain or the same eyes. Your brain makes it's own interpretations of the visual information it's receiving. It's not a matter of "trying to see it right" or making yourself believe it's a certain color. That's not how this works, it's not a magic eye poster.

You should have been able to see the colors in the image "both ways" by very simply adjusting the lighting conditions around you, or adjusting the brightness/contrast of the screen you are viewing it on.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2015, 02:27.

62. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2015, 01:36 1badmf

descender wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 18:00:
Did anyone even bother reading the Wired article that clearly explains why people can see it as different colors? It also explains why one person might see it as different colors at different times.

The white balance of the image is off, so your brain has trouble separating the reflecting light from the illuminating light. This is how your brain figures out colors.

The picture of it that looks ambiguous was simply taken with bad white balance settings, and then you are viewing it with completely different white balance settings. Your brain simply doesn't know how to interpret it.

It's extremely likely people who only see it as blue/black in this image have their color temp set "too blue" on their monitor. Blue != white.

The dress is in fact not white, so... come on brain!

doesn't explain the fact that while at work, four of us said white/gold and four said blue/black, all of us looking at the same picture on the same phone.

61. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 22:12 jdreyer

descender wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 18:26:
JD that article was barely worth the time it took to read it. Head to the middle of nowhere when zombie outbreak happens... wow... brilliant! :p

I'm a little disappointed that once they got down to figuring out the centralized outbreak rather than "everywhere at once" they didn't conclude that the outbreak would basically stop after a few hundred miles as soon as travel restrictions went into place (NDT touched on this in a Daily Show interview IIRC).

Yeah, I was just kidding actually. I got to the part where it said "head to the hills," and was like "DUH." Still, if you've got no hills to get to, Costco is still a good backup option.

Stay a while, and listen.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 19:24 BobBob

I've come to one conclusion: I see the correct image. Anyone who sees differently is wrong.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

59. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 19:19 Mr. Tact

Apparently it depends on the assumption being made by your brain. If it thinks/believes/assumes there is a lot of light on the dress, then you will see black and blue. If the brain thinks/believes/assumes there is not a lot of light on the dress, then you will see white and gold. Pretty interesting.

(I see white and gold)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:29 MeanJim

I saw the dress pic last night on another forum, and I see blue and black. Loading it up in an image editor and analyzing the colors, I can understand how some people would see gold, but can't understand how people are seeing white. The "lighter" dark areas are a dark gold, but the majority of the dark areas are actually brownish orange. There isn't a single pixel of white on the dress though.  

MeanJim on Steam

57. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:26 descender

JD that article was barely worth the time it took to read it. Head to the middle of nowhere when zombie outbreak happens... wow... brilliant! :p

I'm a little disappointed that once they got down to figuring out the centralized outbreak rather than "everywhere at once" they didn't conclude that the outbreak would basically stop after a few hundred miles as soon as travel restrictions went into place (NDT touched on this in a Daily Show interview IIRC).

56. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:24 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 18:00:
Did anyone even bother reading the Wired article that clearly explains why people can see it as different colors? It also explains why one person might see it as different colors at different times.

The white balance of the image is off, so your brain has trouble separating the reflecting light from the illuminating light. This is how your brain figures out colors.

The picture of it that looks ambiguous was simply taken with bad white balance settings, and then you are viewing it with completely different white balance settings. Your brain simply doesn't know how to interpret it.

It's extremely likely people who only see it as blue/black in this image have their color temp set "too blue" on their monitor. Blue != white.

Well fuck there goes the mystery. I still have the Everlasting Light, my true go to.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:21 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 16:58:
It has to be a gag. I just loaded up the site and now the top dress was white and gold and I scrolled down to the other one which was still blue and black and when I scrolled up again it was blue and black.

That is what a couple have said happened, me as well. But you can just copy past the pic to your own pc and then there is no voodoo, and wouldn't you know it... after a while I see white and gold for a while but if I do something else or even more specifically look at that deep blue and black dress example, then look at the other pic, it starts becoming mid-blue and washed out black.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:16 jdreyer

All this talk of a dress.

Does no one wish to speak of the statistical mechanics that reveal the ideal hideout in an actual zombie apocalypse???

53. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 18:00 descender

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2015, 18:08.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 17:49 Caladell

BobBob wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 17:25:

Do not try to determine the color of the dress. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no dress...

Heh...

51. Re: Gene that makes human brain unique identified by scientists Feb 27, 2015, 17:44 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 13:59:
Simon Says wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 10:59:
Hmmmm... no. Dolphins have the most complex structure in the, CORRECTION: KNOWN universe.

*rollseyes*

Maybe, but dolphins don't have automatic rifles and nuclear weapons.

You're totally proving my point there! XD

50. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 17:25 BobBob

It has to be a gag. I just loaded up the site and now the top dress was white and gold and I scrolled down to the other one which was still blue and black and when I scrolled up again it was blue and black. I've closed and opened new instances of the page - in Firefox and Chrome - a few times and it oscillates between w/g and b/b, so yeah it's a prank.

Do not try to determine the color of the dress. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no dress...

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

49. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 17:13 Creston

Leonard Nimoy died.

Rest in peace, Leonard.

already reported by harlock and Quboid, but still....

48. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 17:11 Retired

Blue wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 09:47:
harlock wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 09:33:
is it true that colorblind people have better nightvision?

I don't know the science, but my personal experience suggests this is true. I have excellent night vision, and have had MrsBlue remark while driving at night that she couldn't understand how I could see where we were going amid oncoming headlights and such.

I am colorblind and have significantly better night vision than my peers.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 17:10 Hanover

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 13:53:
Here's a thought:

Who gives a flying fuck? What is wrong with you people?!

When I see your name I see Jacob Vandy. But get this, my friend sees Jacob v. Andy and he can't unsee it now! WTF?

For what it's worth, I see blue and black on my computer screen and on my phone. Here in my office, showing the pic from my phone, one person sees blue/black, two see white/gold and one sees blue/gold.

I love this mindfuck stuff, it's fascinating!

46. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 16:58 Cutter

Keilun wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 15:30:
Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 11:55:
It's black and blue. However, someone pointed out something interesting that it could be people's monitors affecting this - colour temp, viewing angle, etc. However, color blind people will see it as light-bluish white and goldish-brown.

In fact here's a quick color blind test for you all. I scored perfect meaning I'm not colour blind. And when you hover over the colour wheel you can see why colour blind people would see it as such.

Color Blindness Test

I scored perfect on that test too and I see the original image as white and gold and the later image as blue and black. So uh yeah, what does that tell you?

It has to be a gag. I just loaded up the site and now the top dress was white and gold and I scrolled down to the other one which was still blue and black and when I scrolled up again it was blue and black. I've closed and opened new instances of the page - in Firefox and Chrome - a few times and it oscillates between w/g and b/b, so yeah it's a prank.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 16:36 jdreyer

Gritty Power Rangers reboot pulled off Youtube. Copyright violation claimed. I thought it was fair use: " any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and 'transformative' purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work."

There is very little Power Rangers stuff in it, and was it not a parody with all that over the top violence vs. the G-rated original?

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo