Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website talks more about the future of Star Citizen now that they've stopped laying out additional stretch goals and talks to backers about their support of the project (for the record, the space combat game has now surpassed the $73 million mark). Chris Roberts also addresses a recent controversy within the game's community over "Rental Equipment Credits," a complicated system of equipment rentals for the game. There's an article criticizing this concept on Ten Ton Hammer that helps an outsider understand what's up with this system, and why this may raise concerns, saying: "you cannot earn REC and then purchase any items or equipment in Arena Commander right now or in this upcoming update permanently. You can, instead, earn REC to rent equipment and ships to try before you buy or, if you are committed enough, to keep playing with as long as you can continue to earn enough REC to pay the rental fee every 7 non-consecutive days of playing." In his post, Roberts acknowledges the controversy, though it's not certain how it will be dealt with:
Finally, I know that everyone is expecting me to talk more about Rental Equipment Credits. I took part in the heated discussion over the weekend and one of our priorities this week was clarifying some of the confusion about the system. I don’t have much to add right now, but I do want to stress: we asked for your feedback because we genuinely wanted it. A sincere thank you to everyone who provided that feedback. I’ll stress: we’re going to create a system that’s fun, not one that hurts players. Like everything else in Star Citizen, we will balance and expand our system to that goal once it launches until it meets our vision, and we will not settle for less.
View : : :
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
Feb 21, 2015, 17:04
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 17:04
Feb 21, 2015, 17:04

BadIronTree wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 16:44:
Video
more important than the 73m news people!!!
Careers-Mining

and

New mining Platform/ship

Hey! Don't ruin things! This is a high-class affair! We're trying to have a little whine with our cheese!
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Feb 21, 2015, 16:57
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 16:57
Feb 21, 2015, 16:57

StealthR6 wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 14:27:
so this is all we have and its pretty damn good for being .001 done.

hummm, so development started in 2011, that is 3.5 years(lets say) for 0.001 of a game... making the full game 3500 years away, roughly.

Feb 21, 2015, 16:44
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 16:44
Feb 21, 2015, 16:44

Video
more important than the 73m news people!!!
Careers-Mining

and

New mining Platform/ship

Feb 21, 2015, 16:34
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 16:34
Feb 21, 2015, 16:34

This game has worried me for a long time now with all these micro transactions. Watch and see if this game doesn't turn out to be a microtransaction cluster fuck.

Roberts is losing his mind and has gone to the darkside being corrupted by the money this game has earned. All he cares about now is microtracationing the fuck out of this game.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2015, 16:48.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Feb 21, 2015, 16:32
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 16:32
Feb 21, 2015, 16:32

Julian Delphiki wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 13:29:
Why am I not surprised to see so many of the users of this site, who have always commented on the most speculative statements about anything related to SC, blow something completely out of proportion. Yes, I follow SC and have pledged a little to support it but its obvious to anyone with a smidgen of awareness that you guys are just vindictive sociopaths without an iota of common sense, or, even worse, individuals with a made up rage that makes you blind to the actual facts. If any of you had even bothered to read the post in its entirety and the response from CIG you wouldn't act as though this is a final component for a game that's already released when in fact it is a simple pre-alpha mechanic to allow people to try things they haven't pledged for and earn it with a little bit of test time in the games competitive modes which are still under significant development. There's no point to making any other arguments since you're clearly fixed on trolling anything SC related, so go ahead and keep making your comments with the sophistication of an angry 10 year-old and I'll smirk at every one of them. You have your troll support group, I'm sure you'll make it through this difficult time. Just rage and cry on each other's shoulders and all will be well.

or you know they could just do a proper beta test and allow everything to be tested without this nonsense.

Feb 21, 2015, 16:15
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 16:15
Feb 21, 2015, 16:15

Stop wasting time in the comments and go play a real space combat game kids.

Freespace 2 vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ

Freespace 2

http://www.gog.com/game/freespace_2

Freespace 2 scp update

http://scp.indiegames.us/

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2015, 22:46.

Feb 21, 2015, 16:10
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 16:10
Feb 21, 2015, 16:10

StealthR6 wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 15:32:
LOL you people are on crack.

I wonder what actual "games" you play sometimes...

So far no one has posted a better space game. Waiting...

There are people who enjoy SC, if its not you tough shit then.

Evochron: Mercenary, FTW.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Feb 21, 2015, 15:52
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 15:52
Feb 21, 2015, 15:52

FU wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 15:33:
Nerd drama

Lol, too true.

Feb 21, 2015, 15:42
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 15:42
Feb 21, 2015, 15:42

StealthR6 wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 15:32:

You enjoy being on a different wavelength from everybody else and then pretending to be special don't you?

No one here has said crap about the gameplay of AC one way or another. No one has said anything about anything apart from the topic at hand. The article isn't about how good SC will play or how great AC is and those things are entirely irrelevant. We are talking about monetizing a non-finished game which grows ever more absurd by the headline with more stuff to sell and then adding useless crap on top of it like REC.

Try paying attention. It helps you not look like an idiot.

Feb 21, 2015, 15:33
FU
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 15:33
Feb 21, 2015, 15:33
FU

Nerd drama

Feb 21, 2015, 15:32
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 15:32
Feb 21, 2015, 15:32

Feb 21, 2015, 15:02
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 15:02
Feb 21, 2015, 15:02

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 14:54:
Good news for you Stealth, we/they will all be here in the future when you are proven right. So when it happens you can come and tell us so. No problems accepting that.

Or back here on planet Earth Stealth will realize the Chris Roberts just sold the game for 100 MM and has just spent his donations on hookers and blow well Stealth and the other nerds got stuck with an unfinnished half made buggy crap game which even if it were good is really just pay to win.....
DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

Feb 21, 2015, 14:54
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 14:54
Feb 21, 2015, 14:54

Good news for you Stealth, we/they will all be here in the future when you are proven right. So when it happens you can come and tell us so. No problems accepting that.

Feb 21, 2015, 14:34
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 14:34
Feb 21, 2015, 14:34

StealthR6 wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 14:27:
I've never seen a bunch of crying little babies as I see on here.

I play AC every night and its the best space shooter out now, just like Freelancer was the best one 15 years ago and the Wing Commander/Privateer was the best in the early 90s.

X games have gone to shit. And ED is cool for about 5-6hrs and then bore fest with nothing to do. No new X-wing games coming.. so this is all we have and its pretty damn good for being .001 done.

Have anyone of you played coop or even against real people? Go compare it to any space and and please provide a better one. Yea I'm sure your Tie Fighter game is "better", it was great 20 years ago. Those games don't hold up and now are basic arcade shooters.

SC has depth already with all the customization one can do to the ship, no other space game has 10% of what AC has now!

I bet all whiners on here are either console games who can't get SC or player who despise all space games. Go play your other games.

Until someone lists a better space game you clearly don't care about the genre and all you really want to do is whine about SC, even if you agree it turns out to be great, you'll still whine about it.

Guess you just don't know better..kind of sad really for you , not everyone gets blinded over and over again

Feb 21, 2015, 14:27
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 14:27
Feb 21, 2015, 14:27

I've never seen a bunch of crying little babies as I see on here.

I play AC every night and its the best space shooter out now, just like Freelancer was the best one 15 years ago and the Wing Commander/Privateer was the best in the early 90s.

X games have gone to shit. And ED is cool for about 5-6hrs and then bore fest with nothing to do. No new X-wing games coming.. so this is all we have and its pretty damn good for being .001 done.

Have anyone of you played coop or even against real people? Go compare it to any space and and please provide a better one. Yea I'm sure your Tie Fighter game is "better", it was great 20 years ago. Those games don't hold up and now are basic arcade shooters.

SC has depth already with all the customization one can do to the ship, no other space game has 10% of what AC has now!

I bet all whiners on here are either console games who can't get SC or player who despise all space games. Go play your other games.

Until someone lists a better space game you clearly don't care about the genre and all you really want to do is whine about SC, even if you agree it turns out to be great, you'll still whine about it.

Feb 21, 2015, 14:13
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 14:13
Feb 21, 2015, 14:13

Slashman wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 10:56:
Why the hell do they not just concentrate on getting the game out already?

Why introduce more complicated crap at this point? It's bad enough you're selling ships for hundreds of dollars, but come on. This is just retarded extra nonsense piled on top of an unfinished game with a scope so wide just them completing it would surprise me.

Chris Roberts himself said a few weeks ago "Star Citizen will never be finished."

Feb 21, 2015, 14:02
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 14:02
Feb 21, 2015, 14:02

Sorry guys, that 73rd million was all me. Had a few drinks, put on some John Williams and broke out the credit card last night.

Feb 21, 2015, 13:54
Cutter

Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:54
Feb 21, 2015, 13:54
 Cutter

Why am I not surprised to see so many of the users of this site, who have always commented on the most speculative statements about anything related to SC, blow something completely out of proportion. Yes, I follow SC and have pledged a little to support it but its obvious to anyone with a smidgen of awareness that you guys are just vindictive sociopaths without an iota of common sense, or, even worse, individuals with a made up rage that makes you blind to the actual facts. If any of you had even bothered to read the post in its entirety and the response from CIG you wouldn't act as though this is a final component for a game that's already released when in fact it is a simple pre-alpha mechanic to allow people to try things they haven't pledged for and earn it with a little bit of test time in the games competitive modes which are still under significant development. There's no point to making any other arguments since you're clearly fixed on trolling anything SC related, so go ahead and keep making your comments with the sophistication of an angry 10 year-old and I'll smirk at every one of them. You have your troll support group, I'm sure you'll make it through this difficult time. Just rage and cry on each other's shoulders and all will be well.

Why are we trolls for not wanting to support P2W models that are inherently classist? So if you happen to have a pile of disposable income you get all the toys and if you don't than fuck you? Well, in spite of your fanboy ranting most people prefer their games more egalitarian because real life is unfair enough.
"I like dogs playing poker... because dogs would never bet on things; so it's incongruous. I like incongruity." - Christian Wolff

Feb 21, 2015, 13:52
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:52
Feb 21, 2015, 13:52

I blame Blue. But my only contribution here wasn't negative, but hopefully when trying to rent or purchase they could add a credit check on the person to see if they qualify. Sounds like a nice realistic feature to add. Perhaps another milestone feature to add?

Now what if these miserable people end up being right? Do you apologize for your hatred for them? Join them? Ignore that you ever said this and exit stage? Wondering...

Feb 21, 2015, 13:47
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:47
Feb 21, 2015, 13:47

Because they CANT!!! All the shit they have promised the fan boys is nearly impossible to pull off in a single game, it goes beyond a space ship game/FPS shooter or anything else and is so complicated they would need the resources of NASA to pull it off, thus constant 'new' mini features that they can do keep coming up, anything to distract and divert attention way from the elephant in the room, its never going to be done ever.

Slashman wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 10:56:
Why the hell do they not just concentrate on getting the game out already?

Why introduce more complicated crap at this point? It's bad enough you're selling ships for hundreds of dollars, but come on. This is just retarded extra nonsense piled on top of an unfinished game with a scope so wide just them completing it would surprise me.
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older