Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website talks more about the future of Star Citizen now that they've stopped laying out additional stretch goals and talks to backers about their support of the project (for the record, the space combat game has now surpassed the $73 million mark). Chris Roberts also addresses a recent controversy within the game's community over "Rental Equipment Credits," a complicated system of equipment rentals for the game. There's an article criticizing this concept on Ten Ton Hammer that helps an outsider understand what's up with this system, and why this may raise concerns, saying: "you cannot earn REC and then purchase any items or equipment in Arena Commander right now or in this upcoming update permanently. You can, instead, earn REC to rent equipment and ships to try before you buy or, if you are committed enough, to keep playing with as long as you can continue to earn enough REC to pay the rental fee every 7 non-consecutive days of playing." In his post, Roberts acknowledges the controversy, though it's not certain how it will be dealt with:
Finally, I know that everyone is expecting me to talk more about Rental Equipment Credits. I took part in the heated discussion over the weekend and one of our priorities this week was clarifying some of the confusion about the system. I don’t have much to add right now, but I do want to stress: we asked for your feedback because we genuinely wanted it. A sincere thank you to everyone who provided that feedback. I’ll stress: we’re going to create a system that’s fun, not one that hurts players. Like everything else in Star Citizen, we will balance and expand our system to that goal once it launches until it meets our vision, and we will not settle for less.
View : : :
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
Feb 21, 2015, 13:46
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:46
Feb 21, 2015, 13:46

Julian Delphiki wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 13:29:
Why am I not surprised to see so many of the users of this site, who have always commented on the most speculative..shilling...shilling shilling shilling...shilling shilling.

Signed up on 2/21/2015, just to post in this thread. How much do you get paid to defend this hookers-and-blow for Chris Roberts scheme?
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Feb 21, 2015, 13:34
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:34
Feb 21, 2015, 13:34

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 12:32:
PHJF wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 12:06:
Just what I've always dreamed of, the ability to lease a space ship! Hopefully I can get it for $0 down and 0% APR! Gotta clear out that 2014 stock, after all!

Chris Roberts: Used Car Salesman

And with the option of being turned down for a line of credit, just to make it as realistic and miserable as possible.

Only after a painfully extensive credit check after which you're turned down due to a moderate sized student loan that you disclosed to them when you started the process 2 months ago. Then you're forced to go with a government subsidized loan program which states you are now saddled with your spaceship for 10 years and you can't rent it let alone sell it.

Julian Delphiki wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 13:29:
But its obvious to anyone with a smidgen of awareness that you guys are just vindictive sociopaths without an iota of common sense, or, even worse, individuals with a made up rage that makes you blind to the actual facts.

There's no point to making any other arguments since you're clearly fixed on trolling anything SC related, so go ahead and keep making your comments with the sophistication of an angry 10 year-old and I'll smirk at every one of them.

You say after making the largest argument on this thread. The only person trolling here by attacking other is you. Many people have legitimate concerns at the direction of SC. It has evolved from being a complete game to a game full of microtransactions. Surely you can see that people who pay for all this content are going to have a substantial advantage over those who don't? Some would claim this will take the pay to win model. I think they may have a point. How exactly are we being "vindictive?" We're stating concerns that several of us share. Concerns that are valid since a great number of SC announcements are adding more and more microtransactions.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2015, 13:46.

Feb 21, 2015, 13:29
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:29
Feb 21, 2015, 13:29

Why am I not surprised to see so many of the users of this site, who have always commented on the most speculative statements about anything related to SC, blow something completely out of proportion. Yes, I follow SC and have pledged a little to support it but its obvious to anyone with a smidgen of awareness that you guys are just vindictive sociopaths without an iota of common sense, or, even worse, individuals with a made up rage that makes you blind to the actual facts. If any of you had even bothered to read the post in its entirety and the response from CIG you wouldn't act as though this is a final component for a game that's already released when in fact it is a simple pre-alpha mechanic to allow people to try things they haven't pledged for and earn it with a little bit of test time in the games competitive modes which are still under significant development. There's no point to making any other arguments since you're clearly fixed on trolling anything SC related, so go ahead and keep making your comments with the sophistication of an angry 10 year-old and I'll smirk at every one of them. You have your troll support group, I'm sure you'll make it through this difficult time. Just rage and cry on each other's shoulders and all will be well.

Feb 21, 2015, 13:18
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:18
Feb 21, 2015, 13:18

Can you actually fly all the ships they're selling yet? Or is this still $250 for shitty concept art?

Feb 21, 2015, 13:16
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:16
Feb 21, 2015, 13:16

DangerDog wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 13:12:
Do you have to pay space tax too?

I can see space taxation as a 'stretch' goal at $80 million. Got to keep that money rolling in.

Feb 21, 2015, 13:12
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:12
Feb 21, 2015, 13:12

Do you have to pay space tax too? There's ship insurance but is there health insurance plans as well, does it cover dental?

Feb 21, 2015, 13:10
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 13:10
Feb 21, 2015, 13:10

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 12:46:
And like many of us have been saying, this is just the tip of the iceberg for things to come. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop and hear him announce a turn around ED style with ODRM and monthly fees on top of monetizing everything else.

I dunno about subs but I got tarred and feathered at the official forums when I pointed out the IMHO very real possibility of ODRM.
You are supposed to be able to play Squadron 42, then continue that character's life in the online PU.
The way I see it is that there is only a miniscule chance that they would NOT store character data online. The risk of haXX0red chars is way too high if you would let people store their S42 chars locally and then transfer them to the online game.
So if there is going to be an offline Squadron 42 at all, then I'm quite sure it will be made in a way so you can not transfer offline characters to the PU.
I got raped for even suggesting this at the official forums so if they go all out ODRM or even introduce monthly subs then it should in fact be made mandatory for our amusement that every SC backer turned their webcams on and broadcast their retarded angry mugs on Twitch.

Feb 21, 2015, 12:49
Cutter

Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 12:49
Feb 21, 2015, 12:49
 Cutter

swaaye wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 11:59:
He was pretty crazy even back when he was working on Wing Commander and turned it into an expensive shitty movie, and then literally made a shitty movie about it.

Freelancer was originally supposed to be like Star Citizen. But MS didn't want to fund its dreamy idealistic development. Today we have people who want to live in Star Citizen, easy ways to give money, and a mentality that paying for alpha-level games is cool and enabling. So Star Citizen is certainly going to work out to some degree. It's a new form of MMO at this point. Narcotic space game.

I agree. The concept of what Star Citizen was supposed to be originally - at any rate - is a very attractive one. And there's obviously a huge market for it. I just don't think CR is the guy to deliver it...or will deliver it. Certainly not how most people envision at any rate.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Feb 21, 2015, 12:48
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 12:48
Feb 21, 2015, 12:48

LOL @ THE SUCKERS WHO SPENT $73 Million ...... AKA .... PAY TO WIN
DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

Feb 21, 2015, 12:46
Cutter

Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 12:46
Feb 21, 2015, 12:46
 Cutter

And like many of us have been saying, this is just the tip of the iceberg for things to come. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop and hear him announce a turn around ED style with ODRM and monthly fees on top of monetizing everything else.

Heh, it's going to be exactly like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I just wish I could see the horror on the passengers faces as it unfolds. I'll just think of what Michael Bay would do, plenty of explosions all around.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Feb 21, 2015, 12:32
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 12:32
Feb 21, 2015, 12:32

PHJF wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 12:06:
Just what I've always dreamed of, the ability to lease a space ship! Hopefully I can get it for $0 down and 0% APR! Gotta clear out that 2014 stock, after all!

And with the option of being turned down for a line of credit, just to make it as realistic and miserable as possible.

Feb 21, 2015, 12:06
PHJF

Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 12:06
 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 12:06

I hate REC. Its a freemium treadmill. One of my most dispized gaming phenomena.

That said, I get why its there.

Arena commander is not SC. Its a minigame within SC. (That just so happens to be all we can play ATM).

They want items in SC to carry over into AC, but not from AC into SC.

SC has risk (permadeath, costs of operation).
AC is a risk free mini Sim.

No one would bother earning things in risky SC if they can do it risk free in AC.

-scheherazade

Feb 21, 2015, 11:59
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 11:59
Feb 21, 2015, 11:59

He was pretty crazy even back when he was working on Wing Commander and turned it into an expensive shitty movie, and then literally made a shitty movie about it.

Freelancer was originally supposed to be like Star Citizen. But MS didn't want to fund its dreamy idealistic development. Today we have people who want to live in Star Citizen, easy ways to give money, and a mentality that paying for alpha-level games is cool and enabling. So Star Citizen is certainly going to work out to some degree. It's a new form of MMO at this point. Narcotic space game.

Feb 21, 2015, 11:51
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 11:51
Feb 21, 2015, 11:51

Hahaha! Wow, the balls on this guy! Rent virtual equipment, players!

If only we could go back to the good old days of Horse Armor... this is truly a new low for gaming in general.

I am almost amazed at Chris Roberts' virulent capitalism, but it's easily overshadowed by embarrassment and pity for the people who got sucked into his schemes for $73 MILLION.

Feb 21, 2015, 11:38
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 11:38
Feb 21, 2015, 11:38

Slashman wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 10:56:
Why the hell do they not just concentrate on getting the game out already?

This whole thing has never ever been about the game again since the end of November 2012. It permanently transformed from game concept to monetization circus back around then and this REC model is just one more step along the way.

As an original backer I'm farting in Star Citizen's general direction these days. Fuck this monetization scheme.

Feb 21, 2015, 10:56
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 10:56
Feb 21, 2015, 10:56

Why the hell do they not just concentrate on getting the game out already?

Why introduce more complicated crap at this point? It's bad enough you're selling ships for hundreds of dollars, but come on. This is just retarded extra nonsense piled on top of an unfinished game with a scope so wide just them completing it would surprise me.

Feb 21, 2015, 10:53
Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 10:53
Feb 21, 2015, 10:53

Star Citizen is going to ensure to drain as many people's wallets as possible, and they will not settle for less. Pay-to-win/Microtransaction hell.
118 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older