Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam & Dota 2 Records

The Steam Game and Player Statistics page show a couple of new user records for Valve's online service. This shows that yesterday there were 8,665,266 concurrent users on Steam, breaking the 8.5 million user record set last month, though the exact number may be revised, as we noticed the record reported last month changed a couple of times after it was first posted. This also lists a peak user count for Dota 2 of 1,060,082, which Polygon says is a record for the service, though it pales in comparison to League of Legends, as in 2012 the rival MOBA reported a daily peak of three million users.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 17, 2015, 23:19 Osc8r

descender wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 10:33:
Hot damn, there is so much stupid in this thread.

After reading your post, i'd tend to be agreement with you.

So many lols!

You and Suppa would make a great couple, playing COD together pretending you are real soldiers

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 17, 2015, 10:33 descender

Hot damn, there is so much stupid in this thread.

Just because you have to click a button 50,000 times in 10 minutes doesn't make a MOBA a higher "skilled" game to play than an FPS. Trying to equate the physical or mental complexity between 2 completely different genre's is an exercise in futility... but if anything... operating in 3D space is infinitely more "complex" than anything you'll find in any 2D games... which is essentially what MOBA's are.

Think of having to try to teach these games to your grandmother. You could easily get her up and running in a MOBA... the interface and controls are quite simple to use. Right click on this, right click on that... she can play it but she'd be terrible. Now sit her down in front of a PC FPS. Try to explain WASD and mouselook, try to get her to aim at something and shoot it. Now stop laughing. Odds are that she hasn't moved very far in a discernable direction. This is because the "skilled" barrier of entry is extremely high with FPS and lower in MOBA/RTS. The "knowledge" barrier of entry in both genre's is very high and can't reliably be compared.

A simple exercise like this makes it pretty obvious to me that while the depth of knowledge between genre's is probably very similar in complexity... there a higher "skilled" barrier of entry to FPS since it requires more coordination to play it. There is no real reason that the "knowledge" barrier would be any lower or less complex (I think people are less inclined to accept failure in MOBA compared to FPS... probably because on the surface you aren't putting much effort in to playing it and you brain thinks it should be so damn easy to win).

Having managed a group of teens for half of last year, none of them played any PC games they had to pay for. It was all free to play and it was all MOBA's. Otherwise they played console games, because that's what their parents would buy for them.

So much truth in this. Are people really drawn to MOBA's because they are fun, or because they are free? I'd wager a lot on the latter.

26. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 17, 2015, 08:33 Verno

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 22:09:
Osc8r wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 21:26:
Only on bluesnews are MOBA considered 'easy mode' games.

No you're just stupid, MOBA's are RTS games where unit production is ENTIRELY handled by the computer (aka it is the equivalent of "unit assist for RTS games"). Then they give you the single RTS hero to control with a highly scripted set of items to buy which are highly babied and chosen by mostly incompetent developers of league of legends for 'balance' reasons.

MOBA's are RTS for retards. Starcraft 1 blows any MOBA out of the water in terms of depth and complexity. The whole term MOBA is actually a term that was coined by the non-RTS generation console/steam gaming crowd that didn't grow up on Warcraft 2 Via kali/kahn and battle.net diablo/Warcraft 3.

The entire term is bullshit since both league of legends and DOTA 2 are just warcraft/starcraft mods with higher resolution models.

They are a cut-down simplified version of a real time strategy game. DOTA 2 while slightly more complex is still not as complex as a real RTS. So they are RTS for newbs whether you like it or not. They are the real time strategy game equivalent of bejeweled.

Ironically you sound like the average MOBA player I run into, full of insults and silliness. It's interesting that you are so insecure about this that you feel the need to lash out constantly at people who play them. Could it just be that you're really awful at MOBA games and are trying to make yourself feel better about it? It's ok, MOBAs are really hard to master and you shouldn't feel ashamed of it.

MOBAs are not RTS games, they were born out of that genre but are not directly comparable. The complexities involved are far different but they are there nonetheless.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

25. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 17, 2015, 01:27 ForgedReality

So many little children raging on the internet tonight. Go to bed. You fuckers have school in the morning. >:\  

24. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 23:10 Sepharo

Sepharo wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 21:12:
Osc8r wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 16:47:
Want to see low skill ceiling games? Modern FPS and MMO's. But i guess it's just cool to hate MOBA's

Not that I agree with Suppa7... but now you're going the opposite direction and saying that (modern) FPS are low skill ceiling games? I think you must be confusing terms, FPS have a low barrier to entry, it's easy to hop in, learn the game relatively quickly, but the skill ceiling is very high. How's that saying go? Easy to become proficient but difficult to master... something like that.

MOBAs tend to have a high barrier to entry. There are specific strategies you need to know about if you ever hope to win a game or just simply not be yelled at by your team.

Skill ceiling really high? FPS are about reflexes mostly - now compare the pace of modern MMO's with Quake. Modern FPS's in general are garbage, designed for console kiddies with aim assist, and where multiplayer is an afterthought to the linear singleplayer campaign, cutscenes, and marketing.

Watch Dendi play dota, the game simply has way more complexity and thought process than any FPS game could ever dream of, plus it also requires amazing reflexes to boot.

Wonder why the top 100 e-sport earners are pretty much all MOBA or RTS players and not FPS'ers? And why 9 out the top 10 earners are from dota 2 and not CS? Nope, neither do i cause it's pretty damn obvious.

Hey way to miss the point of my post. I didn't say anything about reflex or skill involved in MOBA. If anything I agree with you by saying that MOBA has a high-barrier to entry.

EDIT: Oops I forgot to include: WHARGLBARGHL MY GAME IS BETTER RAH RAH

23. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 23:09 Osc8r

Suppa7, show me on the doll... where did the bad MOBA touch you?

Apparently moba's have a bad community, yet, now i remember why i usually don't read comments on bluesnews - starting a debate with a personal attack, really? Yet apparently your old enough to have played SC1 and Quake....

lel

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2015, 23:24.

22. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 22:09 Suppa7

No you're just stupid, MOBA's are RTS games where unit production is ENTIRELY handled by the computer (aka it is the equivalent of "unit assist for RTS games"). Then they give you the single RTS hero to control with a highly scripted set of items to buy which are highly babied and chosen by mostly incompetent developers of league of legends for 'balance' reasons.

MOBA's are RTS for retards. Starcraft 1 blows any MOBA out of the water in terms of depth and complexity. The whole term MOBA is actually a term that was coined by the non-RTS generation console/steam gaming crowd that didn't grow up on Warcraft 2 Via kali/kahn and battle.net diablo/Warcraft 3.

The entire term is bullshit since both league of legends and DOTA 2 are just warcraft/starcraft mods with higher resolution models.

They are a cut-down simplified version of a real time strategy game. DOTA 2 while slightly more complex is still not as complex as a real RTS. So they are RTS for newbs whether you like it or not. They are the real time strategy game equivalent of bejeweled.

21. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 21:58 Cyanotetyphas

Skill ceiling really high? FPS are about reflexes mostly - now compare the pace of modern MMO's with Quake. Modern FPS's in general are garbage, designed for console kiddies with aim assist, and where multiplayer is an afterthought to the linear singleplayer campaign, cutscenes, and marketing.

Watch Dendi play dota, the game simply has way more complexity and thought process than any FPS game could ever dream of, plus it also requires amazing reflexes to boot.

Wonder why the top 100 e-sport earners are pretty much all MOBA or RTS players and not FPS'ers? And why 9 out the top 10 earners are from dota 2 and not CS? Nope, neither do i cause it's pretty damn obvious.

I think it would be very interesting to divide a group of twenty gamers in half and have 10 play chess for a month and 10 play super hexagon for a month then bring them back to Dota. My guess is the hex kids would have the edge but who knows.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

20. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 21:26 Osc8r

Sepharo wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 21:12:
Want to see low skill ceiling games? Modern FPS and MMO's. But i guess it's just cool to hate MOBA's

Not that I agree with Suppa7... but now you're going the opposite direction and saying that (modern) FPS are low skill ceiling games? I think you must be confusing terms, FPS have a low barrier to entry, it's easy to hop in, learn the game relatively quickly, but the skill ceiling is very high. How's that saying go? Easy to become proficient but difficult to master... something like that.

MOBAs tend to have a high barrier to entry. There are specific strategies you need to know about if you ever hope to win a game or just simply not be yelled at by your team.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2015, 21:35.

19. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 21:12 Sepharo

18. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 18:08 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 16:37:
I'm curious what the average age of a MOBA player is. I'm guessing it's much lower than the overall average age of a gamer which is like over 30 now?

Anecdotal, but when my 25-38 year old coworkers talk about gaming, they mean League of Legends and nothing else. CoD has been extremely popular with my tenants who were in the military, age range 26-32.

My impression is that people play these games because it's what all their friends are playing, which is as good a reason as any.

17. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 16:47 Osc8r

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 13:21:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 12:41:
1 million+ for DotA 2, 3 million+ for LoL? Wow, talk about bad taste, younger gaming community.

get off my lawn.

The masses don't have the reflexes for more complex RTS games like Starcraft. That's why MOBA's took off. MOBA's cater to the reflex retards and that's the majority of PC and console gamers sadly.

Games like Descent, Doom 2, Quake 3, Unreal 2004. Those are all high speed, high reflex, highly demanding on intelligence and reflexes to process that incoming visual information and make sense of it quickly.

The vast majority of humanity simply can't do that.

lol, i used to be competitive UT and quake 1 player, but there's no way i could ever compete in dota - the skill ceiling in that game is simply absurd.

16. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 16:37 Krovven

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 12:41:
1 million+ for DotA 2, 3 million+ for LoL? Wow, talk about bad taste, younger gaming community.

get off my lawn.

People like what they like. They are simple to learn, hard to master. It's been repeatedly a winning combination in the gaming world. My question is, do they really like it? I'm curious what the average age of a MOBA player is. I'm guessing it's much lower than the overall average age of a gamer which is like over 30 now?
My point is, MOBA's are free to play and always have been. Teens without much money, but they have an average family computer at home can play the game, and their friends are playing it too...

Having managed a group of teens for half of last year, none of them played any PC games they had to pay for. It was all free to play and it was all MOBA's. Otherwise they played console games, because that's what their parents would buy for them.

I really tried to give DOTA 2 a chance. I watched several hours worth of gameplay videos before even joining a game to make sure I understood what to do and why to do it, etc.

I simply do not see the appeal behind the gameplay mechanics with MOBA's. The big one, constantly having to tag the Ai units to level up and get credits. It's very boring to me. It's a massive game mechanic filler and without it, the game completely falls apart and everything else with it.

15. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 16:13 ViRGE

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 13:21:
The masses don't have the reflexes for more complex RTS games like Starcraft. That's why MOBA's took off. MOBA's cater to the reflex retards and that's the majority of PC and console gamers sadly.

Games like Descent, Doom 2, Quake 3, Unreal 2004. Those are all high speed, high reflex, highly demanding on intelligence and reflexes to process that incoming visual information and make sense of it quickly.

The vast majority of humanity simply can't do that.
There's a huge difference between Starcraft and an FPS. The fact that FPSes don't have an equivalent of Actions Per Minute makes them vastly different. You can't just say both require quick reflexes as if they're equals, because UT's not going to reward you for moving your mouse around in a pattern as if queueing up unit construction.

14. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 15:52 Redmask

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 15:03:
I'm sorry to tell you but all games are just mathematical structures of inputs and outputs and CAN be compared mathematically. All games are is a series of inputs and outputs and they CAN be compared. You're just too uninformed and haven't had any deep thoughts about theories of unified gameplay mechanics.

All games have game objects and those game objects have mathematical properties that can be measured and compared for similarities across games. Whether you like it or not, games are a subset of the natural world and can be studied as such.

I'm sorry to tell you that you're full of shit and that life isn't an Excel spreadsheet that you get to play as a trump card when someone doesn't agree with your opinion on your leisure activities. In other words, no you can't compare unlike genres that have dissimilar structures and mechanics in anything but extremely rote functions that aren't indicative of anything. You can break down the math behind this equation by examining the middle finger I am raising.

Here is the science

13. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 15:45 Suppa7

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 15:16:
I hope Blues 2.0 has voting like on Reddit. That would be more fun than just ignoring trolls.

Just because there is something said that a large part of gamers disagree with doesn't mean it's not true. Just because gamers mutually agree on a false reality doesn't mean that is reality. Most gamers are unaware their feelings and thoughts are not reality based. The human brain by and large does not literally perceive reality without massive effort that most won't be able to achieve.

So those of you who think I'm a "troll" you'd do well to see the science on how your brain doesn't literally perceive reality as it is... see the science:

Science on the brain

12. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 15:16 Primalchrome

I hope Blues 2.0 has voting like on Reddit. That would be more fun than just ignoring trolls.  

11. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 15:03 Suppa7

Redmask wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 14:55:
Suppa I don't even like these kinds of games but comparing them to FPS games is dumb and just makes you look stupid for trying to draw a conclusion using such a bad comparison.

I'm sorry to tell you but all games are just mathematical structures of inputs and outputs and CAN be compared mathematically. All games are is a series of inputs and outputs and they CAN be compared. You're just too uninformed and haven't had any deep thoughts about theories of unified gameplay mechanics.

All games have game objects and those game objects have mathematical properties that can be measured and compared for similarities across games. Whether you like it or not, games are a subset of the natural world and can be studied as such.

10. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 14:55 Redmask

Suppa I don't even like these kinds of games but comparing them to FPS games is dumb and just makes you look stupid for trying to draw a conclusion using such a bad comparison.  

9. Re: Steam & Dota 2 Set Peak User Records Feb 16, 2015, 14:54 Yifes

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 14:32:
You're too stupid to understand this. We could take the top moba players and put them into a high speed game of Quake 3 and UT2004 and watch them be destroyed in seconds.

And you can take the top UT2004 and Quake 3 players in the world and put them in a high speed end game moba teamfight and watch them get destroyed in less than a second :/

I'm talking about the SPEED OF THE GAME EVENTS themselves. The time between events in quake 3 happen MUCH MUCH faster. Where the mathematical distance between events in MOBA's is much wider and slower.

When you have 5 enemy players diving your carries, each player with 4 abilities, + summoner spells, + activate-able items, that's a lot of events that can happen in less than a second, and you can get 100-0 in a blink of an eye.

You're too stupid to understand this.

Well, it looks like Verno is right and you are just another bullshit troll.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo