Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence

There is an interview with Peter Molyneux on The Guardian, talking with the designer about the uproar over the failed promises of Godus. The thrust of this is his noted habit of letting his mouth write checks that his games cannot cash, which has become a thornier issue now that it involves directly disappointing crowdfunding backers. He explains some of the project's failings, including the lack of reward for the winner of the Curiosity "game," saying: "The problem we have is we can’t start his reign as God of Gods until we implement the technology that allows him to have influence over people’s worlds and crucially allows him to be challenged in competitive games of Godus and as people have pointed out we have to add combat to Godus still." He concludes telling them the interview would be his last. Imagine their surprise when they discovered he said the same thing to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and they say they hear he did another interview after theirs. The RPS interview, meanwhile, takes a contentious, if not hostile tone, starting with the question, "Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?" The site is hosed right now, but the article can be read through a cache. For the record, here's his answer to the liar question: "I’m not aware of a single lie, actually. I’m aware of me saying things and because of circumstances often outside of our control those things don’t come to pass, but I don’t think that’s called lying, is it? I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly lied, at all. And if you want to call me on one I’ll talk about it for sure." They proceed to call him out on a variety of statements in a very uncomfortable conversation.
View : : :
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
Feb 14, 2015, 01:09
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 01:09
Feb 14, 2015, 01:09

And this:
And in my interview with Molyneux, I did notice that he has a certain, extremely frustrating way of talking around anything that makes it sound like his intentions were anything less than pristinely pure. My sources were adamant that he had some sins to make up for, but he played the saint the entire time. He owned up to some mistakes, but he never took responsibility for being at the heart of them. It was always circumstance, bad luck, naivete, or some sad twist of fate. Negligence was never even considered.

The guy lives in his own little bubble.

He'd probably be diagnosed with high-functioning narcissistic personality disorder.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Feb 14, 2015, 01:06
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 01:06
Feb 14, 2015, 01:06

I feel sorry for anyone who has backed Godus. The least this fraudulent little fuck should do is dig into his own multi-millionaire funds to finish and deliver the game that people backed, not make up lame excuses and blame it on everything but his own dumb, incompetent self.
Unfortunately, Kickstarter is probably bullet-proof with regard to this sort of failure but I wish someone would sue his ass and that a court would sentence him to either delivery or pay damages (full refund).
Can't say I disagree with the interviewer's style either. He just talked to Molyneux like the complete fucking asshole that he is. Fair game.

Feb 14, 2015, 01:05
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 01:05
Feb 14, 2015, 01:05

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 00:49:
Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 21:46:
Were the people who gave him money for Godus unaware of who he was and his history? This is the only guy in this industry that was assigned PR handlers when he was in public to keep him from being himself. I just hope all his bridges are burned and he can't ever come back.

Well, the guy who won the curiosity cube wasn't even born when Peter made Populous and Powermonger.

God I loved those games. He hasn't made a good game since. How the mighty have fallen.

Feb 14, 2015, 01:04
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 01:04
Feb 14, 2015, 01:04

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 21:52:
He just genuinely doesn't realize how much lying he does. He has absolutely no clue. He'll lie 10 times during an interview, and just have no idea he's even doing it.

I'd say that he needs to get professional help for it, but I don't think that there's anything to actually diagnose/cure, and he's... what, in his 50s now? Kind of late to be trying to break him of this habit.

I wonder how his family/friends deal with it.

Kotaku talked to Peter and some of his devs today, and wrote a nice detailed story of the situation. People are furious with him, and want to paint him as some kind of pathological liar, but I really don't think that's the reality. I've read articles on the man for 20 years, and this fits much better with what I've read in the past:
Interestingly, however, my sources agreed that Molyneux isn't some whip-cracking, spittle-shouting dictator. They said he was very kind, with an almost Steve-Jobs-like aura about him. He was frequently sincere, excited, cradling new ideas like a thrilled parent. But he was also flighty—prone to losing interest in one idea when another popped up—and he almost always got final say, even when other high-up members of the team didn't necessarily think his decisions made sense, according to people who have worked with him.
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Feb 14, 2015, 00:55
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 00:55
Feb 14, 2015, 00:55

Alamar wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 21:53:
Anyhow... My point is, it seems like I read a diff interview than people here/there... What I got out of it, is that Peter is crazy dedicated, and unrealistic...

He's also a crazy liar, he actually lied several times in that interview, let alone whats come beforehand. I guess we're calling dishonesty 'unrealistic' now? He's crazy dedicated just because he says he is? Why would anyone take this guy at his word anymore? This is why he keeps getting away with this shit. He made some good games like 20 years ago, those days are long gone and he consistently fucks up projects now. Even Lionhead was largely a fuck up going by its glassdoor reviews. These days he will launch a project, stretch goals, etc fully aware they have no realistic hope of completion by the deadlines, heck the latest might not be completed at all.

The RPS interviewer was spot fuckin on in actually calling him out on everything instead of tonguing his butt like every other piece of shit marketing gaming site in the world. These guys have been coddled enough, they don't need anyones sympathy. There's a reason the fans are so critical in this industry and its because no one else fucking is.

Feb 14, 2015, 00:49
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 00:49
Feb 14, 2015, 00:49

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 21:46:
Were the people who gave him money for Godus unaware of who he was and his history? This is the only guy in this industry that was assigned PR handlers when he was in public to keep him from being himself. I just hope all his bridges are burned and he can't ever come back.

Well, the guy who won the curiosity cube wasn't even born when Peter made Populous and Powermonger.
Your choice is clear.

Feb 14, 2015, 00:43
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 00:43
Feb 14, 2015, 00:43

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 21:52:
He just genuinely doesn't realize how much lying he does. He has absolutely no clue. He'll lie 10 times during an interview, and just have no idea he's even doing it.

I'd say that he needs to get professional help for it, but I don't think that there's anything to actually diagnose/cure, and he's... what, in his 50s now? Kind of late to be trying to break him of this habit.

Helps when he brings home $1M a year in KS money.
Your choice is clear.

Feb 14, 2015, 00:39
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 00:39
Feb 14, 2015, 00:39

I wonder if the RPS site got DDOS'd by Molyneux fanbois. It went down within a few hours of that article going up.
Your choice is clear.

Feb 14, 2015, 00:37
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 00:37
Feb 14, 2015, 00:37

Quboid wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 19:43:

LaBoeuf has redeemed himself somewhat in my eyes, although he is still one of those actors who I simply don't enjoy watching. He ruined Lawless for me

Yeah, but Tom Hardy was awesome. Of course, he's always awesome. His character was the best part of Tinker, Tailor.
Your choice is clear.

Feb 14, 2015, 00:33
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 00:33
Feb 14, 2015, 00:33

This whole molyneux thing should have never happened. Everyone who lived through "black and white" knew he was a hype-master who couldn't deliver. Since then, new generations have repeated past mistakes. Trusting molyneux with money.

I don't blame the ignorant kids who bought his stuff. I should probably blame the gaming press, staffed by ignorant kids, who failed their jobs utterly when they didn't preface every Godus story with: This Guy Doesn't Deliver.

Feb 13, 2015, 22:48
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 22:48
Feb 13, 2015, 22:48

Peter Molyneux definitely needs to be called out on his mouth writing cheques he can't cash, though that RPS interview was pretty disgusting. I didn't read it all, just the start then started to skim a bit here and there when I realised how big it was. It seemed rude, unprofessional and turned into an argument.

If anything it makes me want to hand it to Molyneux for sticking that out, I don't think I know anyone who would put up with an "interview" turning into a berating argument.

Feb 13, 2015, 22:44
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 22:44
Feb 13, 2015, 22:44

You remember John Romero? Imagine Daikatana had somehow been a hit. John Romero would now be the same as Molyneux.

This ego-maniacal attention whore can't even let his slide into obscurity go without a press junkette.

Molyneux is going to make you his bitch. But then make excuses why he failed to deliver, then promise to disappear from the gamers eye.

This is movie villain 101 - he is going to come back with one last big play which won't work.

(just for reference I really loved some of his games when they came out - I'm sorry it's ending so ignominiously for him)

Feb 13, 2015, 22:41
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 22:41
Feb 13, 2015, 22:41

Poor Peter Molyneux, his idealistic, overly optimistic view on things is not meshing well with modern internet journalism's rabid dissection of every SINGLE word a person has ever said in their lives.

I have no interest in Godus, but get a grip people, this is hardly the first Kickstarter or crowd funding project to fail to meet expectations.

People need to stop funding Kickstarters with the idea that the project is a sure thing. Most of them are going to fail outright, or end up as crap, just like traditional funding methods.

Feb 13, 2015, 21:53
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 21:53
Feb 13, 2015, 21:53

Wow... I am not nearly enough of an asshole to be an interviewer...

I'm not much of a celebrity/name person... I know Peter's name is popular, and I hear here all the time that he overpromises and what not, but I've never gone out of my way to read articles about him (or any other gaming celeb; Only ones I can even remember the names of are Carmack and Abrash, and that's about all I know of them)...

Anyhow... My point is, it seems like I read a diff interview than people here/there... What I got out of it, is that Peter is crazy dedicated, and unrealistic... Even after 30 years in the industry, he has too-lofty goals, and his estimation skills are minimal... But I can't help but wonder why gamers constantly claim devs have 'promised' stuff, when all they've done is express their intent... Even the RPS guy quoting the God of Gods thing at 5 to 10 years, his own quote, 'we could make it five years'... I know I look at language more literally than most, but I'm not seeing a 'We're going to make it five years'...

I hope Godus gets finished, but if not, I'm happy with what I played of it ; ) Early Access is so bad for me, for entirely diff reasons than most... I play enough of the EA, that when the game officially ships, I don't want to go back and re-play that first 1/4 or 1/3 again, so it goes into my ever growing list of unfinished games...

Feb 13, 2015, 21:52
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 21:52
Feb 13, 2015, 21:52

Feb 13, 2015, 21:46
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 21:46
Feb 13, 2015, 21:46

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Feb 13, 2015, 21:14
Jivaro

Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 21:14
Feb 13, 2015, 21:14
 Jivaro

That has to be one of the most awkward, confusing, intense, and revealing interviews that I have ever read. Like, in any industry...not just video games. PMoly believes his own bullshit all the way up until he becomes aware it is bullshit, and which time he comes up with new bullshit...that much is clear.

Part of me feels like it was kind of unprofessional of the interviewer to be so accusatory and emotional with the phrasing of some of those questions but the reality is that I would have been pretty damn frustrated and accusatory if I was the interviewer as well. PMoly was consistently giving nonsensical and contradictory answers and when he was called out on it he would simply continue to dodge instead of just saying "we fucked up". The only time he comes out and says he messed up was with Brian...and even than it's because he can't really say anything other than that. I mean...2 damn years? What in the hell?

Feb 13, 2015, 21:04
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 21:04
Feb 13, 2015, 21:04

He deserved to be called out, but the interview was about 3 questions repeated over and over for 90 minutes.

Feb 13, 2015, 20:50
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 20:50
Feb 13, 2015, 20:50

Watch. It'll end up that this Bryan "God of Gods" kid'll end up getting $1000 or so and a free copy of Godus at the end of it all. Of course Molyneux will pop back up giving interview after interview and giving another excuse about Kickstarter and Steam fees taking up a huge chunk of the total cost of the game sales.

Life changing indeed!

Feb 13, 2015, 20:48
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 20:48
Feb 13, 2015, 20:48

well, are we suppose to care at this point in time about him.

Hes a fucking joke that's for sure.
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older