Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence

There is an interview with Peter Molyneux on The Guardian, talking with the designer about the uproar over the failed promises of Godus. The thrust of this is his noted habit of letting his mouth write checks that his games cannot cash, which has become a thornier issue now that it involves directly disappointing crowdfunding backers. He explains some of the project's failings, including the lack of reward for the winner of the Curiosity "game," saying: "The problem we have is we can’t start his reign as God of Gods until we implement the technology that allows him to have influence over people’s worlds and crucially allows him to be challenged in competitive games of Godus and as people have pointed out we have to add combat to Godus still." He concludes telling them the interview would be his last. Imagine their surprise when they discovered he said the same thing to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and they say they hear he did another interview after theirs. The RPS interview, meanwhile, takes a contentious, if not hostile tone, starting with the question, "Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?" The site is hosed right now, but the article can be read through a cache. For the record, here's his answer to the liar question: "I’m not aware of a single lie, actually. I’m aware of me saying things and because of circumstances often outside of our control those things don’t come to pass, but I don’t think that’s called lying, is it? I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly lied, at all. And if you want to call me on one I’ll talk about it for sure." They proceed to call him out on a variety of statements in a very uncomfortable conversation.
View : : :
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
Feb 15, 2015, 08:09
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 15, 2015, 08:09
Feb 15, 2015, 08:09

I'll give Molyneux credit for treating the interviews honestly. So called games journalists will never find the balls to face big publishers with a similar line of questioning. One guy who is largely irrelevant to modern gaming is a safe target. So kudos to him. However, there is no way he will stick to any "vow of silence". His persona is what gets the attention. He will continue doing what he does best: make outlandish claims while his projects get smaller and smaller until the public stops caring entirely.

removed
Feb 15, 2015, 04:06
Slick

removed Feb 15, 2015, 04:06
Feb 15, 2015, 04:06
 Slick

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 16, 2015, 07:41.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Feb 14, 2015, 21:26
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 21:26
Feb 14, 2015, 21:26

50,000 hours of interviews? Even if he did 40 hours a week dedicated to nothing but interviews, thats 1,250 weeks. If he did this every week thats 24 solid years of interviews. No wonder he struggles to deliver on promises.

Even if KS is not fraud, what about the hype around getting micro transactions from the CUBE. Surely thats basic fraud.

Also... Did anyone else find this contradictory:
"Peter Molyneux: The excuse and, the excuse, and it is an excuse and I’ll put my hand up to it and we are going to make it now, the excuse is that we hadn’t finished the game. So you can’t do– it wasn’t an art book, it was a making of book, and we haven’t finished the game. But you know, Jack has got three terabytes of footage and we have now got someone called Connor who is going to be working on that book. Which is, we’ll probably have that out pretty soon."

First he says it can't be delivered until game is completed, then he says we'll probably have that out pretty soon. Maybe I missed something.
Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

Feb 14, 2015, 15:01
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 15:01
Feb 14, 2015, 15:01

Alamar wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 14:18:
harlock wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 13:38:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:15:
I think I made my point

you made it very clear that your entire "thought process" is a complete joke..

so if thats your point, then well done

Do you always act retarded, or are you making an exception for this discussion?

do you always act like a dipshit, or is it just now?

Feb 14, 2015, 14:41
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 14:41
Feb 14, 2015, 14:41

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 14:09:
But you won't see John Walker interviewing someone from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc with anything close to the level of hostility as he had in the Molyneux interview despite them being just as deserving or in some cases moreso. That was and still is my contention. He gets to be a dick to Molyneux because there won't be any serious consequences.

I don't care that he stuck it to Molyneux - hell the guy sure deserves it.

Again I have to disagree. You won't see that kind of interview because those companies won't do it in the first place. Most industry 'interviews' these days are curated through email. If you sift through industry interviews you will often find people asking these sorts of questions of publishers but they're often met with silence in response because these companies have PR departments who understand how to handle it. RPS is one of the few sites who probably doesn't have to worry about EA or Ubisoft stonewalling them anyway.

Feb 14, 2015, 14:18
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 14:18
Feb 14, 2015, 14:18

harlock wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 13:38:
I think I made my point

Do you always act retarded, or are you making an exception for this discussion?

Feb 14, 2015, 14:09
Prez

Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 14:09
Feb 14, 2015, 14:09
 Prez

Redmask wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:56:
Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 09:56:
As I said in the other thread my feeling is that RPS would never take such a tone with a developer with a major publisher for fear of incurring their wrath and being blacklisted. Molyneux is just an easy target because he can't do anything to them.

True, he got to a place where he could be touched.

No, I don't agree with that. Publishers are held just as accountable by their fans, look no further than the big 3 and their reputation in this area. Peter is not being held to a higher standard nor is he 'an easy target'. He's getting exactly what those companies get from their fans, the difference is that they try to minimize damage with their PR departments.

But you won't see John Walker interviewing someone from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc with anything close to the level of hostility as he had in the Molyneux interview despite them being just as deserving or in some cases moreso. That was and still is my contention. He gets to be a dick to Molyneux because there won't be any serious consequences.

I don't care that he stuck it to Molyneux - hell the guy sure deserves it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 14, 2015, 13:38
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 13:38
Feb 14, 2015, 13:38

I think I made my point

Feb 14, 2015, 13:21
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 13:21
Feb 14, 2015, 13:21

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:36:
And just for the record, the tone in that interview was simply that of one scorned fan. And if you have fans that hate you, maybe you should rethink your PR strategy and not do interviews like this? Nobody forced him at gunpoint to talk with RPS (Which is what it would take to make me talk with em ;p).

Very true, but there would have been blowback from cutting the interview short as well. Even the most wildly successful companies are going to have their scorned critics so there's nothing positive to gain from sparring with them in public.

Yeah, but a good way to not have an entire fanbase that hates you is actually admitting mistakes. Notice at no point does Molyneux say "It was my fault" or admitting that he was the man in charge, despite being the MAN IN CHARGE. That's the kind of people you never want to be anywhere near any position of power.

And from other sources (not the RPS interview) we know that Molyneux is a downright bully to any employee like his ex PR spokesperson if they point out that he makes mistakes. He made 3 highly qualified people quit from 22cans. I think an admission of GUILT would have turned the tone of this Interview. The fact that he tried to occlude that he is in charge with fluffy language wasn't something that the RPS owner himself would let slide He knows PR bullshit and evasion tactics... for he is master of both!

Anyway, it was just something that was in the coming, like a train wreck in slow motion. The tone is sad, but I have no pity for Molyneux. He is the man in charge, and that's all there is to it.

Feb 14, 2015, 12:40
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:40
Feb 14, 2015, 12:40

Redmask wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:06:
As I said in the other thread my feeling is that RPS would never take such a tone with a developer with a major publisher for fear of incurring their wrath and being blacklisted. Molyneux is just an easy target because he can't do anything to them.

No, I don't agree with that. Publishers are held just as accountable by their fans, look no further than the big 3 and their reputation in this area. Peter is not being held to a higher standard nor is he 'an easy target'. He's getting exactly what those companies get from their fans, the difference is that they try to minimize damage with their PR departments.

We disagree then. Just because journalism gets caught sleeping with their industry, doesn't mean they stop continuing the behavior. I think most of us here get that the AAA's have some protections of being lambasted since there is income/survival at stake. Maybe not every single case, but a lot of cases are protected from really getting into it. That said the AAA's would walk away, perhaps even after the first question, but then the interviewer would know not to open with that question to them, because they are who he is and Pete is now an indy, which is my point.

Feb 14, 2015, 12:35
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:35
Feb 14, 2015, 12:35

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:02:
That is why I go to the Cube winner.

It is mean spirited having a contest, that is what that was and then not pay up to the winner in which you pocketed money from that contest. That is a very big no no. Do that anywhere, local raffle and you will see venom from your surroundings, EVERY EVERY TIME. That is why I consider that situation the lowest point.

Hell I'm even a social liberal, but we even have to have a bar somewhere, right?

He said he still plans to reward the Cube winner, but it's contingent on finishing the game. Not saying that fixes everything, but if he still delivers and delivers with a better, more complete game, does that ultimately make this issue right?

It helps for sure, completely whole, probably can't be acquired now, but he should still do the best he can. Note to self: Do not make a contest where the award is hidden and based on the success of a future endeavor, natives will not accept that as a proper reward.

Feb 14, 2015, 12:15
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:15
Feb 14, 2015, 12:15

wtf_man wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:06:
That's very PC these days.... anyone saying anything negative or potentially "hurting someone's feelings" is considered "bullying".

So, I guess the bottom line is... I (and others, apparently) take issue with you labeling the interview as "bullying". Badgering... maybe... Bullying... I disagree, mainly because it's so easy to label anything harshly non-PC into that category, these days. TOO Easy.

Fair enough, that word has a lot of baggage. I think I made my point that I don't feel the punishment many feel he deserves fits the crime.

Feb 14, 2015, 12:06
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:06

So, I guess the bottom line is... I (and others, apparently) take issue with you labeling the interview as "bullying". Badgering... maybe... Bullying... I disagree, mainly because it's so easy to label anything harshly non-PC into that category, these days. TOO Easy.

Thank you, exactly what I meant earlier without my rambling. People love to pop the bully card these days but very rarely do I see actual cases of it. It's more used offensively to preempt criticism or discussion of something. People use it to hide from their own mistakes or shield someone else. Criticize someone? You're a bully. Disagree with them? Bully. Bullybullybully. People seem to have no real sense of conflict resolution anymore, I fear for them getting into the job market and the rude awakening that accompanies it.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2015, 12:11.

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:02:

It is mean spirited having a contest, that is what that was and then not pay up to the winner in which you pocketed money from that contest. That is a very big no no. Do that anywhere, local raffle and you will see venom from your surroundings, EVERY EVERY TIME. That is why I consider that situation the lowest point.

Hell I'm even a social liberal, but we even have to have a bar somewhere, right?

He said he still plans to reward the Cube winner, but it's contingent on finishing the game. Not saying that fixes everything, but if he still delivers and delivers with a better, more complete game, does that ultimately make this issue right?

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:28:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:18:
WSJ... part of the "Mass Pussification" of America that's on a mission to get everyone "Politically Correct".

That's what the hell is wrong with him.

So because I wrote code I somehow have editorial influence?

No... but I'm sure working for that rag had some influence on your personal outlook... I mean, you consider a non-professional journalist, calling someone to the carpet in an interview, as "bullying".

That's very PC these days.... anyone saying anything negative or potentially "hurting someone's feelings" is considered "bullying".

If Peter was getting too butt hurt... he could have just ended the interview. I actually give him some credit for sticking through the whole ordeal.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Feb 14, 2015, 12:02
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:02
Feb 14, 2015, 12:02

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 10:22:
I think the RPS interview was extremely mean spirited. Whether they were fair or not

Feb 14, 2015, 12:00
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:00
Feb 14, 2015, 12:00

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:54:
I have no problem believing that, he's still wronged people, one shamefully. This isn't world peace at stake, he has a condition, we all do, he's a dreamer, but there is a reality part to any dreamer that still exists which everyone has to live in. I don't want to afford him as being the victim in this case, as he tried to make is sound with the RPS interview, Clint said it best "A man has to know his limitations". Like you, like me, we have to see our bad patterns and improve upon them.
Pretty much what I was trying to say, but much more elegantly.

removed
Feb 14, 2015, 11:58
removed Feb 14, 2015, 11:58
Feb 14, 2015, 11:58

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 14, 2015, 13:36.

Feb 14, 2015, 11:56
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:56
Feb 14, 2015, 11:56

Feb 14, 2015, 11:55
Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:55
Feb 14, 2015, 11:55

panbient wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 08:49:
The Magician wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 07:30:
Xil wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 02:11:
took me ages to read the RPS article, they did not go gentle on him and at times I thought he would totally break or something....

We should have RPS interview politicians.

That would require people to actually pay attention to politics with the same level of interest as video games.

Plenty of people watch fox news and other politico's. Politicians know not to get into a buzz-saw like that, that is actually one thing I credit Pete in all of this, he just didn't walk away. He faced it.
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older