Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm

Homeworld Remastered Collection is on the way from Gearbox Software with updated versions of Homeworld and Homeworld 2, leaving fans of the series wondering why Homeworld: Cataclysm is not included in the plan. Now The Escapist has an explanation from Gearbox COO Brian Martel who says they "would love" to remake the game, but they don't have access to Barking Dog Studios' source code, and don't know if a complete copy exists anywhere. He tells them: "I'd be surprised if we could actually do the kind of work that we've done with the remasters for Cataclysm," though he adds "there are some clever things [Gearbox] might be able to do if there was enough interest." That said, they'd really like to get their hands on the original source code. "It really comes down to finding the original source code," says Martel. "If somebody out there has it, we would take it and make sure we at least released the classic version."
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm
Feb 4, 2015, 18:18
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 18:18
Feb 4, 2015, 18:18

Krovven wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 17:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:24:
Krovven wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:15:
Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 09:26:
You make it sound like that's an easy thing done in no time. They are probably working on a new Homeworld game behind the scenes and these are just released to help build interest in that direction while helping offset the cost of the IP. Rebuilding Cataclysm without the source code wouldn't be a picnic either.

It's already been announced that BBI is working on Homeworld Shipbreakers (previously Hardware Shipbreakers). It was already written as a prequel to Homeworld before Gearbox bought the IP. They cover this in the video too.

Theyarecomingforyou this is still the Homeworld 2 engine, they have just upgraded it for modern graphics.

Please stop quoting trolls.

Ah yes, Shipbreakers.. a PVP rts on GROUND that has nothing to do with Homeworld except the name. Exactly zero people that wanted Homeworld 3 are hyped about THAT.

Besides, I never said it is easy to remake Cataclysm, I said Gearbox acts as if it's impossible. Which is complete bullshit and typical bullshit at that, coming from Gearbox

That aside, being called a Troll is like a badge of honor

And you think you know all this how? Last I checked, nobody has heard or seen anything about the game since it got retooled after Gearbox and BBI started working together.

There was a time I believe Hardware Shipbreakers was also intended to be a browser based game. Yea not any more. So whatever you think you know about Homeworld Shipbreakers other than the name and who is working on it, you can throw the rest out the window.

Actually I am hyped about it, whatever form it may take, and have been since long before they were able to use the IP again.

You need some patience. It's been what, about a year since Homeworld even got it's life back and you are already whining about no Homeworld 3? /facepalm

They didn't say it was impossible. Not even close. In fact he says they could, but it would likely not be as good as the Remastered collection. I don't know how you think games get made but devs don't wave magic wands and it's all done. It would be far easier for them if they had the source code.

Priority #1, get Remastered out the door and then work on the Multiplayer beta. Maybe they will get lucky and the source code will be found.

Fair enough, and as gamer obviously I will check out any game with Homeworld in the name. I am just not hyped, nor do I like (or trust) Gearbox.

And I know we are talking about at least 6 months of full blown development if they wanted to remake Cataclysm. (If ever at that point, they should probably just make Homeworld 3 for real). But Gearbox has a long history of lying, especially before any release of any kind. I don't trust trailers, gameplay or anything else from Gearbox anymore. But if they deliver a decent update of HW1 and HW2 and seriously not fuck it up (Ballistic vs RNG weapons, HW1 had ballistic hit weapons, HW2 had a rng hit chance for weapons) And they said nothing about that, which makes me very very skeptical

Feb 4, 2015, 17:00
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 17:00
Feb 4, 2015, 17:00

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:24:
You make it sound like that's an easy thing done in no time. They are probably working on a new Homeworld game behind the scenes and these are just released to help build interest in that direction while helping offset the cost of the IP. Rebuilding Cataclysm without the source code wouldn't be a picnic either.

It's already been announced that BBI is working on Homeworld Shipbreakers (previously Hardware Shipbreakers). It was already written as a prequel to Homeworld before Gearbox bought the IP. They cover this in the video too.

Theyarecomingforyou this is still the Homeworld 2 engine, they have just upgraded it for modern graphics.

Ah yes, Shipbreakers.. a PVP rts on GROUND that has nothing to do with Homeworld except the name. Exactly zero people that wanted Homeworld 3 are hyped about THAT.

Besides, I never said it is easy to remake Cataclysm, I said Gearbox acts as if it's impossible. Which is complete bullshit and typical bullshit at that, coming from Gearbox

And you think you know all this how? Last I checked, nobody has heard or seen anything about the game since it got retooled after Gearbox and BBI started working together.

There was a time I believe Hardware Shipbreakers was also intended to be a browser based game. Yea not any more. So whatever you think you know about Homeworld Shipbreakers other than the name and who is working on it, you can throw the rest out the window.

Actually I am hyped about it, whatever form it may take, and have been since long before they were able to use the IP again.

You need some patience. It's been what, about a year since Homeworld even got it's life back and you are already whining about no Homeworld 3? /facepalm

They didn't say it was impossible. Not even close. In fact he says they could, but it would likely not be as good as the Remastered collection. I don't know how you think games get made but devs don't wave magic wands and it's all done. It would be far easier for them if they had the source code.

Priority #1, get Remastered out the door and then work on the Multiplayer beta. Maybe they will get lucky and the source code will be found.

Feb 4, 2015, 16:24
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 16:24
Feb 4, 2015, 16:24

Feb 4, 2015, 16:15
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 16:15
Feb 4, 2015, 16:15

Feb 4, 2015, 15:40
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 15:40
Feb 4, 2015, 15:40

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:58:
I already whinge when they ask for any price considering that I own both HW1 and HW2 already, why pay for a SLIGHTLY upgraded graphics in the SAME missions? I wanted Homeworld 3 when it comes down to it, not some silly remakes. But the dev I don't want HW3 from is most definitely Gearbox

Then don't buy it. But don't pretend that remaking Cataclysm is anything other than a massive task.

Kristian Joensen wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 06:37:
ChaosEngine wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:03:

Apparently, it will have mod support.

Got a source for that? I have a hard time beleiving Gearbox would allow mod support on any of their games.

yep.
http://youtu.be/KRtqy0CGur4?t=8m57s

It's apparently going to be on the steam workshop.

Feb 4, 2015, 15:28
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 15:28
Feb 4, 2015, 15:28

I'm really excited for the Remastered Collection myself. Cataclysm or no Cataclysm.

removed
Feb 4, 2015, 13:33
removed Feb 4, 2015, 13:33
Feb 4, 2015, 13:33

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 4, 2015, 14:34.

Feb 4, 2015, 09:45
Prez

Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 09:45
Feb 4, 2015, 09:45
 Prez

I'm as excited as can be for the new editions. Homeworld is my #2 favorite game of all time behind X-COM.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 4, 2015, 09:31
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 09:31
Feb 4, 2015, 09:31

You make it sound like that's an easy thing done in no time. They are probably working outsourcing on a new Homeworld game behind the scenes and these are just released to help build interest in that direction while helping offset the cost of the IP. Rebuilding Cataclysm without the source code wouldn't be a picnic either.

Fixed that for you.
I have a nifty blue line!

Feb 4, 2015, 09:26
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 09:26
Feb 4, 2015, 09:26

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 18:24:
Oh please, if they really wanted they could just literally remake it. They already have working Homeworld 1 in their fancy engine, and Cataclysm just expanded on that anyway.

Feb 4, 2015, 06:37
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 06:37
Feb 4, 2015, 06:37

Oh please, if they really wanted they could just literally remake it. They already have working Homeworld 1 in their fancy engine, and Cataclysm just expanded on that anyway.

Remaking a game without the source is a significantly more difficult undertaking than updating an existing game with a new engine. Do you know exactly what the speed, turn rates, damage, fire rates, AI behaviours of the beast are? Neither do Gearbox.

So yeah, they could remake it, but it would be a big job and then people like you would just whinge when they charged full price for it.

EricFate wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 20:27:
All they need to do is include hooks for modding tools. Sooner or later, someone will get around to making a working version of Cataclysm.

Got a source for that? I have a hard time beleiving Gearbox would allow mod support on any of their games.

Feb 4, 2015, 02:28
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 4, 2015, 02:28
Feb 4, 2015, 02:28

Everytime I read a statement from Gearbox I feel dirty and used, and need to take a shower at the earliest opportunity. How come these guys always come accross like the biggest douchebags ever. I have an image in my mind of Randy Pitchford as Mr. Burns, wringing his hands while staring into the distance and fantasizing about giant bags of money.
I have a nifty blue line!

Feb 3, 2015, 23:31
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 3, 2015, 23:31
Feb 3, 2015, 23:31

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:17:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:10:
Cataclysm was superb, my favorite Homeworld episode in fact. I still have the original disk, but here's to hoping we get a rerelease.

I never played it (even while loving the original), but everyone speaks so highly of it. Hope this gets found and updated with an HD release.

And I'm waiting for Homeworld: Mists of Pandaria.

Feb 3, 2015, 22:05
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 3, 2015, 22:05
Feb 3, 2015, 22:05

Their remake isn't even OUT yet and they are already patting themselves on the back?! wtf even...

Feb 3, 2015, 21:58
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 3, 2015, 21:58
Feb 3, 2015, 21:58

Remaking a game without the source is a significantly more difficult undertaking than updating an existing game with a new engine. Do you know exactly what the speed, turn rates, damage, fire rates, AI behaviours of the beast are? Neither do Gearbox.

So yeah, they could remake it, but it would be a big job and then people like you would just whinge when they charged full price for it.

I already whinge when they ask for any price considering that I own both HW1 and HW2 already, why pay for a SLIGHTLY upgraded graphics in the SAME missions? I wanted Homeworld 3 when it comes down to it, not some silly remakes. But the dev I don't want HW3 from is most definitely Gearbox

Feb 3, 2015, 21:03
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 3, 2015, 21:03
Feb 3, 2015, 21:03

EricFate wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 20:27:
All they need to do is include hooks for modding tools. Sooner or later, someone will get around to making a working version of Cataclysm.

Feb 3, 2015, 20:27
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 3, 2015, 20:27
Feb 3, 2015, 20:27

Feb 3, 2015, 19:17
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 3, 2015, 19:17
Feb 3, 2015, 19:17

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:10:
Cataclysm was superb, my favorite Homeworld episode in fact. I still have the original disk, but here's to hoping we get a rerelease.

I never played it (even while loving the original), but everyone speaks so highly of it. Hope this gets found and updated with an HD release.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Feb 3, 2015, 19:10
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 3, 2015, 19:10
Feb 3, 2015, 19:10

Feb 3, 2015, 19:04
Re: Gearbox on Homeworld: Cataclysm Feb 3, 2015, 19:04
Feb 3, 2015, 19:04

I'd absolutely love an update of Cataclysm - I really hope they're able to pull this off one way or another.
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older