Out of the Blue

Happy Groundhog Day! If the groundhog really does need to emerge from his hole for his weather report today, he'll need a snow blower, as we're in the middle of a pretty harsh nor'easter right now, and there's deep wet snow everywhere, so I don't need to check the news to know that nobody's seeing any shadows around here today, regardless of what Punxsutawney Phil says.

Speaking of checking the news, this one time I'll finally remember to honor the wishes of a long-time reader who was time-shifting the playoff games. I kept spoiling outcomes by mentioning them here, but I can discuss the Super Bowl just as easily without explicitly naming the winner. Of course congrats are in order for the winners and their fans, but the ending of that game will perplex me for the rest of my life, as I still cannot believe they called that pass play, and I don't think I will ever be able to understand it.

Also congrats to Darkv for winning our playoff pool, I had a shot at coming in second, but the last game crossed me up. I had been on a pretty good roll, as this was only the second Super Bowl I predicted incorrectly since Super Bowl XXXVI (the other was when I incorrectly picked the Colts to beat the Saints a few years ago). Hopefully I'll start a new streak next year.

Super Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ricochet Heroes.
One Screen Hero.
Story: Richard Sherman's dad still wakes up at 3-45 a.m. to drive a trash truck, doesn't want to live off his son.
Media: Key & Peele Super Bowl Special - Marshawn Lynch and Richard Sherman's Joint Press Conference.
You must watch this brilliant pixel tribute to The Simpsons.
THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming).
The Funnies: Savage Chickens Comic Strip.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Feb 2, 2015, 20:14
WarPig

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 20:14
Feb 2, 2015, 20:14
 WarPig

I ended up tied with WarPig & Blue, is that a good thing?

I don't know about Blue but tying with me, at least this year, isn't very impressive!

As far as the last play last night... I get why they tried it. Wilson doesn't throw many picks, especially in the red zone. I think the key was Browner jamming Kearse so completely at the line. If all had gone to plan Kearse drives Browner deep enough that Butler has to run around him to get to his spot. Either way the ball has to be thrown lower, but hey, easy for me to say.

Another thing, what if Wilson throws a pick at the end of the first half instead of the touchdown? Everyone would have been criticizing the Hawks for not taking the field goal. If it works you're great, if it doesn't you're an idiot.

Feb 2, 2015, 17:56
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 17:56
Feb 2, 2015, 17:56

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:19:

I concur. I think it was good choice for a play because everyone and his dog expected Lynch to get the ball and try to steamroll it in. They were ready for that. The problem wasn't the pass play, the problem was it was poorly executed. That was entirely on Wilson.
Yeah, you go for a pass, then have two more chances to run it in if it's incomplete. Interceptions are rare, it was a calculated risk that went awry.

And yeah, no way Brady was MVP. I hate this just give the QB the MVP automatically bullshit. Butler won the game for them. And if Brady isn't a total douchebag he should give that kid the truck. Hell, I'd even go the other way and give it Lynch as he had an exceptionally good game. I fucking hate Wilson and Sherman but I really like Lynch and Caroll a lot.

Meh, there's a case for Brady. 37 of 50 for 328 yards and 4 TDs. That's pretty good. Without all that Butler's int means nothing. I would have preferred Edelman gotten it: 9 receptions and 1 rush for 116 total yards and a TD. When all eyes were on Gronk, that guy stepped up. Also, did Matthews on the 'Hawks get anything? That guy had a breakout game.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Feb 2, 2015, 16:56
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 16:56
Feb 2, 2015, 16:56

Superbowl
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming).
Feb 2, 2015, 13:34
Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming). Feb 2, 2015, 13:34
Feb 2, 2015, 13:34

Blue wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:17:
Elders react to teens react.

Grumpy old men can't relate to newer generation.

Could be an Onion article.

'who is this pewdewpie guy anyway?!'

Feb 2, 2015, 13:23
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 13:23
Feb 2, 2015, 13:23

Yeah, we *finally* got our first major snowfall last night. Dumped a good foot plus where I am. There's supposed to be more later on, clear tomorrow, then more snow, clear once more, then a lot more snow. And it's effing cold. So February is really coming in like a bastard here.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 2, 2015, 13:21
Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming). Feb 2, 2015, 13:21
Feb 2, 2015, 13:21

Blue wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:17:
Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:12:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 10:06:
I see that there are tons of these sorts of video on youtube (x social group react to y media/tech) and I'm not really sure why they exist. I just don't understand why I should care, or anyone for that matter. Can someone enlighten me? Is there something wrong with me that means I just don't get it? OK maybe that last one is a given....

Transgender octogenarians react to Bakelite radios.

Agreed. Who effing cares? Jesus, it's bad enough watching other people play games, but now you're not even doing that but just watching them for a reaction? Pathetic.

Haha nice try, Blue, but no one's filming us and no one sure as shit is watching. Once again South Park nailed that sort of silliness long ago.

Animals Close Up, With A Wide Angled Lens
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 2, 2015, 13:19
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 13:19
Feb 2, 2015, 13:19

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 11:15:
Really Bill Belichick explained the pass the best, "it is a goal line play, you have to be ready for anything, I wasn't surprised, that is what we do down there". Meaning, perhaps we shouldn't be so shocked, we are far removed from 70's football. They pass anywhere any time, the NE dude made a fantastic break on the ball, he doesn't and the ball was going right to the WR for 6. Ask Byner, he'll fumble you a ball inside the 5 to lose you a big game. TO's can happen, I would have run it, but we've seen this a lot in today's football. Obviously if it scores, no one really questions it, just another quick slant in side the 5 for 6.

By the way, the Dude who int the ball, he was MVP. That was game, set and match and he could have used the car being a undrafted rookie. Without that play, they lose 3 in a row.

I concur. I think it was good choice for a play because everyone and his dog expected Lynch to get the ball and try to steamroll it in. They were ready for that. The problem wasn't the pass play, the problem was it was poorly executed. That was entirely on Wilson.

And yeah, no way Brady was MVP. I hate this just give the QB the MVP automatically bullshit. Butler won the game for them. And if Brady isn't a total douchebag he should give that kid the truck. Hell, I'd even go the other way and give it Lynch as he had an exceptionally good game. I fucking hate Wilson and Sherman but I really like Lynch and Caroll a lot.

Feb 2, 2015, 13:17
Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming). Feb 2, 2015, 13:17
Feb 2, 2015, 13:17

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:12:
I see that there are tons of these sorts of video on youtube (x social group react to y media/tech) and I'm not really sure why they exist. I just don't understand why I should care, or anyone for that matter. Can someone enlighten me? Is there something wrong with me that means I just don't get it? OK maybe that last one is a given....

Agreed. Who effing cares? Jesus, it's bad enough watching other people play games, but now you're not even doing that but just watching them for a reaction? Pathetic.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Feb 2, 2015, 13:12
Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming). Feb 2, 2015, 13:12
Feb 2, 2015, 13:12

Feb 2, 2015, 12:53
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 12:53
Feb 2, 2015, 12:53

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 12:37:
Savage Chickens Comic Strip.

They made that movie last year. It's called "Edge of Tomorrow." And it was pretty freakin' awesome.

You mean Live.Die.Repeat, haha.

And yes, it made me enjoy Tom Cruise again.

Feb 2, 2015, 12:37
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 12:37
Feb 2, 2015, 12:37

Savage Chickens Comic Strip.

They made that movie last year. It's called "Edge of Tomorrow." And it was pretty freakin' awesome.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Feb 2, 2015, 11:53
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 11:53
Feb 2, 2015, 11:53

can't believe now many of those kids had no idea about the last of us, like they dug up the most sheltered group they could find just to get some shock value. not just the plot itself, they had no clue what kind of game they were even in for.

The younger generations mainly stick to mobile games, many of them don't even own consoles.

Feb 2, 2015, 11:52
Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming). Feb 2, 2015, 11:52
Feb 2, 2015, 11:52

can't believe now many of those kids had no idea about the last of us, like they dug up the most sheltered group they could find just to get some shock value. not just the plot itself, they had no clue what kind of game they were even in for.

as for the pass play, i read an article where there's some justification for it.

1) in goal-to-go situations pass plays are historically more successful and create fewer turnovers than runs.

2) if they run and aren't successful, seattle burns their last timeout. 3rd down then has to be a pass because another unsuccessful run probably runs the clock out. but then 4th can be anything you want because the clock doesn't matter anymore.

pretty weak, but that's probably what the seahawks were thinking. but with lynch in bowling pin mode, you just gotta feed the beast all day.

edit: also, best commercial was the liam neeson one XD

Feb 2, 2015, 11:36
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 11:36
Feb 2, 2015, 11:36

one of the very small # of days i look forward to every y eaer around here.

Feb 2, 2015, 11:16
Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming). Feb 2, 2015, 11:16
Feb 2, 2015, 11:16

Some of them are pretty funny. People have this perception that younger generations don't understand older cultural phenomenon and some of that is certainly in those videos but what's amusing is how many things bridge the age gap like video games. It can also be fun to see others reactions to something you experienced, particularly with 'horror' themes.

Feb 2, 2015, 11:15
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 11:15
Feb 2, 2015, 11:15

Really Bill Belichick explained the pass the best, "it is a goal line play, you have to be ready for anything, I wasn't surprised, that is what we do down there". Meaning, perhaps we shouldn't be so shocked, we are far removed from 70's football. They pass anywhere any time, the NE dude made a fantastic break on the ball, he doesn't and the ball was going right to the WR for 6. Ask Byner, he'll fumble you a ball inside the 5 to lose you a big game. TO's can happen, I would have run it, but we've seen this a lot in today's football. Obviously if it scores, no one really questions it, just another quick slant in side the 5 for 6.

By the way, the Dude who int the ball, he was MVP. That was game, set and match and he could have used the car being a undrafted rookie. Without that play, they lose 3 in a row.

Feb 2, 2015, 10:06
Re: THE LAST OF US (Teens React- Gaming). Feb 2, 2015, 10:06
Feb 2, 2015, 10:06

Feb 2, 2015, 09:48
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 09:48
Feb 2, 2015, 09:48

I ended up tied with WarPig & Blue, is that a good thing? Stunned

P.S. I did pick last night's winner...unlike the company I keep.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2015, 10:09.
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older