Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

The Bard's Tale IV Announced

Brian Fargo tweets the announcement of The Bard's Tale IV, a new installment in the classic RPG series, later noting that this year marks the 30th anniversary of the first Bard's Tale. He also directs us to more details on IGN, where they say InXile Entertainment plans a Kickstarter to support development. Here's word on what will me familiar and what will be new this time around:
From a story perspective, players will be returning to Skara Brae, where it all began. But on the gameplay side of things, Fargo is planning a deviation.

"Traditional turn-based combat," as Fargo calls it, bases turns on varying factors, creating battles in which different characters attacked at different times, often alternating between opposing sides. But in The Bard's Tale IV, teams attack all at once. This increases the pace of the combat, and allows for a different set of tactics than the traditional system might allow.

"There will be plenty of combat diversity and depth," Fargo said. "You look at something like Hearthstone, for example. It's sort of that going back-and-forth process, and you see the complexity and detail and strategy and nuance that can happen. It's really an amazing system. I love those modern influences. I took a lot away from that, and see things we need to do with our combat system."
View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 26, 2015, 06:11 Falaffel

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 16:14:
Wasteland 2 was a letdown? I thought it was great.

Also think it's a great game. Have had me captivated for months now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 22:48 Creston

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 11:32:
Can anyone say where Skara Brae originated? I find it strange that this is a significant location in Ultima and Bard's Tale. I assume it originated in Bard's Tale as Lord British pretty much just took everything he was interested in at the time and jammed it into Ultima.

It's an old (pre-historic?) village in Scotland.

28. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 11:44 Duke Christopheles

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 11:32:
Can anyone say where Skara Brae originated? I find it strange that this is a significant location in Ultima and Bard's Tale. I assume it originated in Bard's Tale as Lord British pretty much just took everything he was interested in at the time and jammed it into Ultima.

Skara Brae is a real place. It's located in Scotland, I believe it's a really old settlement, stone age perhaps?

BT IV does interest me, but I'd rather it be more like The Devil's Whisky than something too modern (that game was a love letter to the original BT series, just with newer graphics). Updating it in just the right way, it could be another Grimrock.

27. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 11:32 BIGtrouble77

26. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 07:10 Armengar

I had a spectrum as a kid and loved bards tale (graph paper mapping just like fighting fantasy books!) I only remember the later bards tale on the amiga and at that time i prefered dungeon master. Still an epic game. I remember getting a "gold compilation" of rpgs that had BT3 (chronomancer?) but didnt get into BT3.  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

25. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 05:07 Suppa7

fiftykyu wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 21:28:
but somehow when I sit down to play I lose interest. Maybe you just can't go home again...

You can with the right games. Shovel Knight was a great tribute to megaman/Zelda 2. I'm looking forward Shadowrun hongkong. I picked up shadowrun after dragonfall. I wasn't too impressed with returns but dragonfall held my attention. Shadowrun has been the few getting better and better with each iteration as the team gets "back in the groove".

24. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 05:03 Suppa7

Axis wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 23:51:
We're inspired by nostalgia, have fun for the honeymoon period of playtime, then reluctantly admit we've seen and done it hundreds of times before in as many different ways and move on... oddly satisfied.

Some styles of gameplay never go out of style, and many didn't have the chance (at the time) to gain traction. I remember shadowrun from the NES cartridge renting days for fucks sakes. It made an impact and Shadowrun returns was good enough (showed the team had skills) and now they are making hong kong.

23. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 02:06 El Pit

Bard's Tale? I rather want my KRYNN back! I want to solve the Secret of the Silver Blades again... Ah, the memories!  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

22. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 01:12 Redmask

Hmmm, I loved all those old RPGs, Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, plus a bunch of others I can't remember. Taking notes, drawing maps on graph paper, with no internet to read all the spoilers...

Actually, now that I think about it, this sounds like the sort of thing I'd buy for the memories, and then forget to play. My Steam library is full of these nostalgia-fueled purchases, and I don't think I've finished a single one.

Divinity: Original Sin, Might & Magic X, Wasteland 2, etc. They sound great, I excitedly press the "add to cart" button, but somehow when I sit down to play I lose interest. Maybe you just can't go home again...

I still remember trying to make detailed maps for Daggerfall and eventually giving up because the landscape was so ridiculous.

21. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 23:51 Axis

Hmmm, I loved all those old RPGs, Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, plus a bunch of others I can't remember. Taking notes, drawing maps on graph paper, with no internet to read all the spoilers...

Actually, now that I think about it, this sounds like the sort of thing I'd buy for the memories, and then forget to play. My Steam library is full of these nostalgia-fueled purchases, and I don't think I've finished a single one.

Divinity: Original Sin, Might & Magic X, Wasteland 2, etc. They sound great, I excitedly press the "add to cart" button, but somehow when I sit down to play I lose interest. Maybe you just can't go home again...

We're inspired by nostalgia, have fun for the honeymoon period of playtime, then reluctantly admit we've seen and done it hundreds of times before in as many different ways and move on... oddly satisfied.

Yours truly,

Axis

20. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:28 fiftykyu

19. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:12 NewMaxx

I just started playing it (already to level 21) as I was waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out and I think it's pretty true to the original in many ways. Not perfect, but definitely better than mediocre. If they can improve on it then they have my interest for other games.

18. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:05 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 19:10:
Once he mentioned Hearth Stone, This game became doomed.

He's talking about two concepts: emergent gameplay, and the metagame. Emergent gameplay is when simple elements and mechanics lead to very complex possibilities when manipulated in tandem. The metagame is effectively gaming the system by using nuances of these mechanics in unexpected ways while keeping up with developing strategies. High level play in things like Hearthstone and MOBAs is actually pretty complicated.

I agree that his example isn't the best. A better one would be something like Magicka.

17. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 21:00 NewMaxx

Sc4r wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 14:52:
I only played the 1st bards tale and loved playing it, not sure y i didnt play the other ones.Anyways, i wonder how the combat system will b, unlike wasteland 2 where it was whoever had the highest Awareness on either side would get to fight 1st? If i remember correctly in bards tale 1 u usually got to fight 1st unless the enemy surprised you.

From the IGN article,

"'Traditional turn-based combat,' as Fargo calls it, bases turns on varying factors, creating battles in which different characters attacked at different times, often alternating between opposing sides. But in The Bard's Tale IV, teams attack all at once."

16. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 20:53 Shok

I have fond memories of Bard's Tale 1,2,3 on the C64 but I think the Legend of Grimrock games scratch that itch these days.

On the other hand if they went all out pixel art animated monster portraits along with a retro engine with modern UI I might be interested. I just don't see them capturing that same lightning in the bottle again. Besides, the original designer and programmer of the first two games, Michael Cranford, has been out of the video game industry since the second game came out.

And the satiric Bard's tale they did didn't interest me at all. I never got into it.

15. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 19:10 Darks

Once he mentioned Hearth Stone, This game became doomed.

I'm not sure I have any faith in these guys doing Bards Tale any justice.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

14. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 17:34 Cutter

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. Just sort of meh. Never really grabs you like Shadowrun Dragonfall or the old CRPGs like Fallout, BG, et al. I'm not holding out high hopes for Torment at this point, so I hope we're pleasantly surprised. As I said, I won't even consider anything else from these guys unless Torment is ahh-mazing.

13. glizda@gmail.com Jan 24, 2015, 17:16 GL1zdA

It was not as good as people expected. It's a vast game with a small budget, they had to cut corners somewhere to finally publish it. I really liked more the Shadowrun Returns way - something small, but polished.

12. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 16:47 Julio

I never really was into Bard's Tale, so I'll have to think about whether to back it or not when the Kickstarter details arrive. Much would have preferred Wasteland 3  

11. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 24, 2015, 16:42 Ludomancer

Brian Fargo is an enabler of amazing things. The people in his current employ, however....  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >