Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced

A Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns page is now online, offering details on a first expansion coming to ArenaNet's MMORPG sequel (thanks fion). This trailer offers a look, and here's the announcement, which offers little detail, so here's the outline from the website:
Heart of Thorns
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ is the first expansion for Guild Wars 2. Founded on the idea that the journey is the goal, the Heart of Thorns expansion continues the Guild Wars 2 tradition of challenging the conventions of MMOs to fulfill the promise of what online worlds should be.

Journey deeper into the Heart of Thorns.

The Mastery System

We're reimagining progression with our new Mastery system. Explore new training opportunities for your character beyond level 80 and master abilities like hang gliding in the jungle, tearing the bark off of heavily armored Mordrem, or building new collections that earn precursors to a legendary weapon.

The Heart of Maguuma
New adventures await you in the heart of the Maguuma Jungle. Confront the growing hordes of Mordremoth's minions, discover allies from ancient civilizations, and battle new enemies.

  • Tackle challenging group content.
  • Explore new open world jungle maps.
  • Experience new events and storylines.
  • Test your mettle in new boss battles.

Specializations
Evolve your gameplay. With profession specializations, you'll unlock access to a weapon previously unavailable to your profession as well as new traits, skills, and unique mechanics - all of which will transform your profession into something new.

New Profession:
Revenant

Channel legendary powers to slaughter foes and unleash chaos on the battlefield with our brand new profession: the revenant. Enter the field of battle heavily armored and equipped with the otherworldly powers of the Mists.

Guild Halls
Your guild has roamed the world together. Now, it's time to claim a piece of it. Work with fellow guild members to claim and grow your own guild hall in the heart of Maguuma.

PvP: New Stronghold Game Mode
Gather supply to hire soldiers. Battle for control of heroes. Man the trebuchet to defend your stronghold, and storm the enemy gates to defeat the guild lord! Use our new guild team feature to team up and battle to the top of the leaderboards. Stronghold offers an entirely new way to play competitive PvP in Guild Wars 2!

WvW: New Borderland
Experience epic battlefield combat like never before in World vs. World's latest core addition, the new Borderlands map. Navigate treacherous heights with traps that blow your foes to the depths below and ferocious defenders to help keep the enemy at bay. Map objectives will be more important than ever before, as they'll unlock new strategies, tactics, and play mechanics that you'll want to use to your world's advantage!

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >


31. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 25, 2015, 14:56 Morgan19
 
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 10:56:
So, can I play with yall even if we don't have the same home world? I hate shit like this....

Yes. Since MegaServer was put in place, the only thing your server (what you call "home world") will affect is World vs. World (WvW) content.
 
Avatar 11406
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

30. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 25, 2015, 11:17 HorrorScope
 
Warskull wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 10:55:
loomy wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 10:41:
I wish I liked this game. To me it is everything Guild Wars was meant to NOT be. They sold out to NCSoft to chase WOW.

They didn't sell out. They got poached, very hard. A bunch of the key people behind GW1 left Arena.net and got jobs elsewhere. They lost all their founders (who invented B.net), they lost key developres (one of which was the lead dev on Starcraft), and they lost a lot of great talent that they brought up.

During GW1 Arena.net probably had the most talented dev in team out of any MMO out there... by a long shot. NCSoft made some big mistakes promoting people to executive positions that wanted to make games (because they hit the top of the game dev scale.) Those people got bored, left the company, founded new ones, and took all their highly talented friends with them.

This is the real reason MMOs have such a hard time making sequels. The gap between games is massive and the people who made the originally successful MMO become a hot item. Someone offers them a lot of money to work somewhere else. Most companies aren't down with giving gigantic raises, so the employees leave for their new company.

So while the company logo says "Arena.Net" it isn't really the Arena.net that made Guild Wars 1. It is basically a new company on the inside.

That is what happened to GW's and what happens in this industry and many others. GW2 has some nice traits, some perhaps even best of bread, but the sum of its whole fell short to me.

But yes spot on. Moral=Never pay your good guys more, they'll do better competing against you.

Madden is a total example of this as well.
 
Avatar 17232
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

29. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 25, 2015, 10:56 Retired
 
So, can I play with yall even if we don't have the same home world? I hate shit like this....  
Avatar 10714
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

28. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 25, 2015, 10:55 Warskull
 
loomy wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 10:41:
I wish I liked this game. To me it is everything Guild Wars was meant to NOT be. They sold out to NCSoft to chase WOW.

They didn't sell out. They got poached, very hard. A bunch of the key people behind GW1 left Arena.net and got jobs elsewhere. They lost all their founders (who invented B.net), they lost key developres (one of which was the lead dev on Starcraft), and they lost a lot of great talent that they brought up.

During GW1 Arena.net probably had the most talented dev in team out of any MMO out there... by a long shot. NCSoft made some big mistakes promoting people to executive positions that wanted to make games (because they hit the top of the game dev scale.) Those people got bored, left the company, founded new ones, and took all their highly talented friends with them.

This is the real reason MMOs have such a hard time making sequels. The gap between games is massive and the people who made the originally successful MMO become a hot item. Someone offers them a lot of money to work somewhere else. Most companies aren't down with giving gigantic raises, so the employees leave for their new company.

So while the company logo says "Arena.Net" it isn't really the Arena.net that made Guild Wars 1. It is basically a new company on the inside.
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

27. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 25, 2015, 10:41 loomy
 
I wish I liked this game. To me it is everything Guild Wars was meant to NOT be. They sold out to NCSoft to chase WOW.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

26. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 25, 2015, 06:40 Retired
 
Just saw the game is 10.00/15.00 for the 2 versions. BOOM.

Will help fill the GTA5 delay void.
 
Avatar 10714
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

25. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 25, 2015, 01:04 Redmask
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_slime

from the rock.

I still login and play every few weeks, I think this game has given me the most value for the money in the past few years. Definitely picking up the xpac. Hang gliding sounds rad.
 
Avatar 57682
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

24. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 23:56 Axis
 
Redmask wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 23:34:
The tears of trolls and back handed compliments in this thread are pretty ridiculous.

First troll I've seen in this thread is right there in my quote.
 
Avatar 57462
 



Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

23. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 23:34 Redmask
 
The tears of trolls and back handed compliments in this thread are pretty ridiculous.  
Avatar 57682
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

22. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 23:17 Squirmer
 
They only had one "living story" team for season 2. That was another indication that they were working on something bigger in the background.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

21. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 22:41 Fion
 
Axis wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:00:
My son really enjoys the crap outta GW2, his favorite game by far.

For younger audiences this is about the best mmo experience you can ask for all things considered.

Still nothing like the first, but it's found a place with the younger generation.

On the other hand a lot of my friends who play and guildies are in our 30's and 40's and enjoy the hell because I can log in a few hours a week and feel like I got to experience a story or progress my character, do some PvP or get into WvW with my guild.

I'm pretty hyped about the expansion, but I'll be keeping it check. I'm very happy to see there's not a level cap increase or new 'tier' of gear to grind through (or farm through).

My biggest question is what will the 3 live teams be doing while we wait for the expansion, which picks up right after the finale of Season 2. I spose there's plenty they could do, bring back SAB, introduce new fractals, bring back some of the better content from Season 1, repair Lion's Arch. I'll personally be using that time to finish my personal story on my main, getting all my exotics upgraded to ascended and stocking up on as many mats as I can in anticipation of the new Precursor system. I've always wanted a Meteorlogicus but never had the time, materials or time/money to get the precursor to make one.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2015, 23:05.
 
Avatar 17499
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

20. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 20:19 Agent.X7
 
*does a happy dance, waits for CE announcement*  
Avatar 23400
 



Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

19. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 20:12 Squirmer
 
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:01:
That is an example of their PR double-speak on the subject, yes, but there were many times when a dev would state less publicly a more definitive no, it's not in the cards, they had not put any planning or work into creating for one, etc.
They never said no beyond that quote Morgan posted. And it's kind of a running joke that 'nothing is off the table'. It's been clear for at least a year that they're making an expansion, since their regular update team was only a small part of the company (about 20 people out of 300+ employees, and not including many of the veteran devs).
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

18. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 17:57 Axis
 
jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:53:
Axis wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:42:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:39:
A 'whale' is the heart of the microtransaction business. The top 5% of spenders that support the other 95% of free-loading or small-time-spending players in a free-to-play or buy-to-play environment... I am shocked you're not familiar with that term.

Interesting, I did not know that - thanks for the explanation. *shuffles it into memory*

It just means you don't pay much attention to the F2P market. Which is a good thing!

Well I pay attention to it if it's a good game!

I prolly spent $200 or so on PoE which I consider the finest f2p game to date, but I've yet to ever see someone mention that term during the inhumane amount of time I've spent in it.

 
Avatar 57462
 



Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

17. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:58 jdreyer
 
Guildcraft 2: Heart of the Thorn

Hmm, why does that seem so familiar?
 
Avatar 22024
 



"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

16. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:56 jdreyer
 
Cutter wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:47:
Ugh, not jungles. Never cared for that setting. Hated it in Diablo 2 and WoW. And no new races or classes?!?!?!

Yup, can't see shit in the jungle. Give me a nice vegetation-free desert environment and a Barrett .50 with a 12x scope. POW! Rifle

Wait, uh, something's not quite right here...
 
Avatar 22024
 



"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

15. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:53 jdreyer
 
Axis wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:42:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:39:
A 'whale' is the heart of the microtransaction business. The top 5% of spenders that support the other 95% of free-loading or small-time-spending players in a free-to-play or buy-to-play environment... I am shocked you're not familiar with that term.

Interesting, I did not know that - thanks for the explanation. *shuffles it into memory*

It just means you don't pay much attention to the F2P market. Which is a good thing!
 
Avatar 22024
 



"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

14. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:53 Wallshadows
 
I thought the Revenant was the new class unless I'm getting all these terms mixed up from my time in Final Fantasy.  
Avatar 50040
 
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

13. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:47 Cutter
 
Ugh, not jungles. Never cared for that setting. Hated it in Diablo 2 and WoW. And no new races or classes?!?!?!
 
Avatar 25394
 



"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 

12. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Expansion Announced Jan 24, 2015, 15:42 Axis
 
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:39:
A 'whale' is the heart of the microtransaction business. The top 5% of spenders that support the other 95% of free-loading or small-time-spending players in a free-to-play or buy-to-play environment... I am shocked you're not familiar with that term.

Interesting, I did not know that - thanks for the explanation. *shuffles it into memory*
 
Avatar 57462
 



Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
 
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >