Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch

The Stretch Goals page on the Roberts Space Industries website shows that Star Citizen has now passed $70 million in crowdfunding. This is probably in part attributable to a Limited Ship Sale they are currently running. There's no update yet to commemorate the new milestone, but there is word on a new Arena Commander patch updating the module to version 1.1. Word is: "AC 1.0.1 is primarily a bug fix and game balance patch, addressing issues ranging from ship balancing to missile damage to UI legibility. The complete patch notes are available here. In addition to the bug fixes, several systems and other features have been added." Thanks IncGamers.
View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch
Jan 26, 2015, 16:02
Vio
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 16:02
Jan 26, 2015, 16:02
Vio

Pigeon wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 16:56:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:12:
Vio wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 15:05:
Can you travel to different systems yet via flight/warp/jump?

You're joking, right? They're too busy squeezing mo' moneh outta people by releasing more concepts of ships. No time for the actual game!

BadIronTree wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 14:41:
No hate comment yet ?
Something is terrible wrong !!!

There. Better now?

To seriously answer the original question: You're still kidding, right? All you can do is fart in your cockpit seat (of select single seater craft only so far... the multiplayer ship play won't be released until later this year in AC 2.0) and do some dogfighting on a few tiny maps. And you can race on a few other tiny maps.
That's it. There's not even a hint of a persistent universe or in fact *any* universe just yet...

I picked this up as part of a promotion when you buy a new GFX card. Pretty, but there's not a lot to do other than putz around a small area in your ship. I seriously don't understand how people can dump hundreds of dollars into this game buying virtual goods for a game that's not even close to being complete. I would need a massive reserve of disposable wealth before I'd even consider it.

Ok so how many tiny squares they got so far to dogfight in? They promised a 100 systems or something right? How many tiny rooms in a system? Or haven't they got a populated system yet?

Jan 26, 2015, 10:04
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 10:04
Jan 26, 2015, 10:04

haha on this occasion I agree with you w/ regards to the troll label. Luke is pretty obvious

Jan 26, 2015, 08:08
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 08:08
Jan 26, 2015, 08:08

InBlack wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 08:05:
Luke wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 06:09:
blues are a website made by the few FOR the few.

What the hell does that even mean?? If you dont like it here you can GTFO. Blues is one of the last places on the web where anyone can visit and express an opinion, one way or the other, without censorship and without bias. Blue could have sold out years ago, gone mainstream and turned the site into a copy of every other gushing, ad infested cesspool of baitclicks. He chose not to and for that he has my thanks and utmost respect.
Don't even bother with that troll
I am surprised he isn't on everyone's ignore list yet.
Just look through his post history it will tell you everything you need to know.
Steam: SpectralMeat

Jan 26, 2015, 08:05
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 08:05
Jan 26, 2015, 08:05

Luke wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 06:09:
blues are a website made by the few FOR the few.

What the hell does that even mean?? If you dont like it here you can GTFO. Blues is one of the last places on the web where anyone can visit and express an opinion, one way or the other, without censorship and without bias. Blue could have sold out years ago, gone mainstream and turned the site into a copy of every other gushing, ad infested cesspool of baitclicks. He chose not to and for that he has my thanks and utmost respect.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jan 26, 2015, 06:09
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 06:09
Jan 26, 2015, 06:09

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 03:22:
Redmask wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 08:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 03:15:
You could just skip them, but for Blue they're a money maker since they attract a lot of attention.

Has he actually said that?

No, but it's obvious. Each time he posts a SC thread, it balloons to 50 or 100 comments. Obviously it's driving traffic, and he's making ad money off it. And I'm for that. I want Blue to be compensated to the point that he continues to find this venture worth his time and effort.

Obviously it's driving traffic, and he's making ad money off it. And I'm for that

Sure we can see that , by the way you post..............blues are a website made by the few FOR the few.

Jan 26, 2015, 03:32
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 03:32
Jan 26, 2015, 03:32

InBlack wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 02:35:
No one here is hating on Starcitizen! If you could open your eyes and see past that fanboi myopia you could maybe see that. People are frustrated by the way the development of Starcitizen is proceeding and how apparanently all that's being done is that money is being fleeced from doe eyed fanbois while there is very little game to show for it. No one likes the P.T. Barnum act, at least no one with half a brain, and right now those who you call 'haters' are simply people who are concerned that things have gone too far.

I'd have probably phrased this a bit more positively, but basically QFT.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Jan 26, 2015, 03:31
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 03:31
Jan 26, 2015, 03:31

Sugarman wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 22:08:
Designing a new game engine similar to Cryengine 3 would be a monumental task. As for the UT engine being used, to my knowledge that was never on the table, SC has used Cryengine 3 from the start. Cryengine 3 has a lot left in it, when/if Cryengine 4 comes out I'm sure SC will move to that platform. CIG has hired quite a few Cryengine employees, something that is only going to benefit SC. Moving to 64 bit and double precision floating point is in the works right now, this will solve the problem with massive map sizes.

To wrap your head around everything going on at CIG takes an abundance of reading, thus the misinformation and naysayers.

Hell, Titanfall was built on the Source engine, which is 10 years old, and it came looking pretty good. CryEngine is a relatively new engine with constant improvements. I agree that it was an odd choice initially (the probably figured they didn't need a huge amt of space since they were going to make individual Wing Commander-style missions as opposed to a huge open world), but it's been years since that choice and they must have made some heavy modifications.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Jan 26, 2015, 03:22
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 03:22
Jan 26, 2015, 03:22

Redmask wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 08:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 03:15:
You could just skip them, but for Blue they're a money maker since they attract a lot of attention.

Has he actually said that?

No, but it's obvious. Each time he posts a SC thread, it balloons to 50 or 100 comments. Obviously it's driving traffic, and he's making ad money off it. And I'm for that. I want Blue to be compensated to the point that he continues to find this venture worth his time and effort.

Jan 26, 2015, 03:20
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 03:20
Jan 26, 2015, 03:20

Sugarman wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 07:54:

Statements like this
What a weird world we live in where customers themselves fund games before they're even made
are just plain unnecessary, it's called crowdfunding, many things are available to us now that wouldn't be if it weren't for crowdfunding, everyone knows this, go somewhere else and attempt your (negative originality).

This used to be a fun gaming news site, but a few of you are trying your best to turn it into reddit or 4chan. I'd like to keep BluesNews as it is/was, that is why I've came here for so long, and I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way. I didn't post this to hurt your feelings, make you look bad, or call down the wrath of righteous reply posts, I posted this because you're being a douchebag, quit being a douchebag.

My statement wasn't meant as negative, but simply observational. I was remarking on how things have changed so massively in the past 10 years, when things like crowdfunding and nearly daily development updates didn't exist. I'm an original SC backer from the KS, and someone looking forward to the game, for the record.

Jan 26, 2015, 02:35
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 26, 2015, 02:35
Jan 26, 2015, 02:35

No one here is hating on Starcitizen! If you could open your eyes and see past that fanboi myopia you could maybe see that. People are frustrated by the way the development of Starcitizen is proceeding and how apparanently all that's being done is that money is being fleeced from doe eyed fanbois while there is very little game to show for it. No one likes the P.T. Barnum act, at least no one with half a brain, and right now those who you call 'haters' are simply people who are concerned that things have gone too far.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jan 25, 2015, 22:08
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 22:08
Jan 25, 2015, 22:08

Designing a new game engine similar to Cryengine 3 would be a monumental task. As for the UT engine being used, to my knowledge that was never on the table, SC has used Cryengine 3 from the start. Cryengine 3 has a lot left in it, when/if Cryengine 4 comes out I'm sure SC will move to that platform. CIG has hired quite a few Cryengine employees, something that is only going to benefit SC. Moving to 64 bit and double precision floating point is in the works right now, this will solve the problem with massive map sizes.

To wrap your head around everything going on at CIG takes an abundance of reading, thus the misinformation and naysayers.

Jan 25, 2015, 21:57
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 21:57
Jan 25, 2015, 21:57

I've been lurking on the SC comment threads for a while. Don't know why they've attracted such bitter asshats. If EA were making this, there would be all kinds of comments about how it was an abuse of the genre. Now there's a game being made without a publisher, which you would think would be right in their wheel house, and they're all over the folks who fronted money to it.

My instinct says they're just going to be anti-anything that has some popularity. Probably just hipsters.

Jan 25, 2015, 18:43
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 18:43
Jan 25, 2015, 18:43

Flatline wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 16:28:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 15:11:
He cannot stretch the development of the game out indefinitely, or else something similar that happened to Duke Nukem Forever will happen, too.

If I remember correctly (and the early E3 trailers will probably confirm that) it was supposed to use the Unreal (Tournament) engine but since the engine was old they decided to scrap the project and redo it.

So Star Citizen will have to limitations.
1. At some point the tech of the game will get old, be it because of advancements in graphics, user interface (i.e. how players expect a game should handle).
2. The game is limited by the available tech. You cannot have a huge world with millions of dynamically changeable parts because the computation and memory restrictions won't allow it.

I just don't get how they think they can get away with such a project. Maybe the programmers didn't tell Roberts that what he wants is impossible and hope that it will just become abandonware at some point? Or maybe it will have to be scaled down at some point.

I always heard that SC was going to use Crysis as the game engine. Never heard about the UT engine being used.

But even so, they're basically having to rewrite most of it since the Crysis engine isn't meant to render entire solar systems at once.

I guess I misplaced a paragraph. I meant that DNF used the UT engine, as panbient pointed out (although I didn't know it started out with the Quake 2 engine), at which point they decided it's too old and had to start from scratch again.

What I mean is that the Crysis engine is also a couple of years old already and, from a technological standpoint, probably not the most modern one (it's likely I'm wrong in some way since I don't know anything about that topic).
And if they end up rewriting big parts of it to suit the game AND have to rewrite other aspects to just keep up with the times I'll wonder why they started out using this engine in the first place instead making one on their own. This is the part that made least sense to me.
Yeah, Crysis levels were big but this is just a whole different scale, especially considering that they want to have the ship aspect AND the fps aspect in the game.

I'm curious how they're going to do it in E:D since some devs professed interest not only in planetary landing but also in walking around your own ship.
Now we donce.

Jan 25, 2015, 16:47
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 16:47
Jan 25, 2015, 16:47

Flatline wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 16:28:
I always heard that SC was going to use Crysis as the game engine. Never heard about the UT engine being used.

That was DNF using UT (after having started with the Quake 2 engine). Anyone who tried making maps for those games understands just how much of a headache going from BSP (Quake style) to CSG (Unreal style) world building would have been. Not impossible, just total logical opposites.

Jan 25, 2015, 16:28
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 16:28
Jan 25, 2015, 16:28

yuastnav wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 15:11:
He cannot stretch the development of the game out indefinitely, or else something similar that happened to Duke Nukem Forever will happen, too.

If I remember correctly (and the early E3 trailers will probably confirm that) it was supposed to use the Unreal (Tournament) engine but since the engine was old they decided to scrap the project and redo it.

1. At some point the tech of the game will get old, be it because of advancements in graphics, user interface (i.e. how players expect a game should handle).
2. The game is limited by the available tech. You cannot have a huge world with millions of dynamically changeable parts because the computation and memory restrictions won't allow it.

I just don't get how they think they can get away with such a project. Maybe the programmers didn't tell Roberts that what he wants is impossible and hope that it will just become abandonware at some point? Or maybe it will have to be scaled down at some point.

But even so, they're basically having to rewrite most of it since the Crysis engine isn't meant to render entire solar systems at once.

Jan 25, 2015, 16:04
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 16:04
Jan 25, 2015, 16:04

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 10:50:
Slashman wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 10:16:
My suggestion is to grow up and learn to accept differing opinions.

Exactly what I was thinking. The whole post came across as "bohoo mommy someone on the internet has a different opinion than me!!!11". Silly.

Besides, no one forces anyone to read the comments here so might as well just come here and solely read the news if it disturbs him that much. And there is an ignore function so if part-time trolls like myself disturb him or anyone, well, feel free to use it.
And I also agree that this site has always had its fair share of jaded, cynical bastages and sarcastic old fucks. Nothing new. Move along...

"bohoo mommy someone on the internet has a different opinion than me!!!11". Silly

And that mr can go both ways..just for the record. Baby

Jan 25, 2015, 15:11
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 15:11
Jan 25, 2015, 15:11

Now we donce.

Jan 25, 2015, 13:52
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 13:52
Jan 25, 2015, 13:52

I really don't get all the hate towards SC. Good/bad, it will get released, and if it's bad, then it will get patched until it's good, unless all of you think 70 million isn't nearly enough for all that.

It's never seemed like anyone has doubted that it was enough money. If anything people wonder how much Roberts is going to keep claiming he needs as he keeps stretching out the possibilities. Keep in mind his original pitch had $6 million as his 'everything I can imagine with all the bells and whistles' mark.

While 'something' may get released his track record is worthy of apprehension. He's also gone on to say that if the money stopped coming in then they had a plan to finish things up to the most recent point, but that really doesn't sound like future support to patch things should the result be less than stellar.

The big difference between this project and pretty much any other crowdfunded game is that a typical developer holds out their hat for a period, says thank you very much, and then gets to work. SC is holding the hat out indefinitely and saying please keep adding if you ever want to see results.

Pointing that out and being concerned by the behaviour isn't being negative, it's being realistic.

Jan 25, 2015, 11:32
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 11:32
Jan 25, 2015, 11:32

This used to be a fun gaming news site, but a few of you are trying your best to turn it into reddit or 4chan. I'd like to keep BluesNews as it is/was, that is why I've came here for so long, and I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way. I didn't post this to hurt your feelings, make you look bad, or call down the wrath of righteous reply posts, I posted this because you're being a douchebag, quit being a douchebag.

What the hell are you actually talking about? This site has always had people who really like something and say it and people who really hate something and say it. And then inevitably there is debate back and forth.

SC keeps getting headlines. It will keep getting comments from both sides of the fence. That's how forums generally work. It doesn't even happen in every thread. But SC is pretty much unprecedented in gaming history. You really think people are going to stop making comments about it either way?

My suggestion is to grow up and learn to accept differing opinions. Read the headlines and follow the links to the original source if you don't want to read the debate over the game.

One thing that has changed, you go far enough back it was more amazement in our replies. GFX were always one-upping, game play still fresh. We are jaded only because it has become stagnant to a point and our spirits want more. That is why many hope for VR, for the new fix, the new happy days of new things being given to us.

Jan 25, 2015, 10:50
Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 25, 2015, 10:50
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50

My suggestion is to grow up and learn to accept differing opinions.

Exactly what I was thinking. The whole post came across as "bohoo mommy someone on the internet has a different opinion than me!!!11". Silly.

Besides, no one forces anyone to read the comments here so might as well just come here and solely read the news if it disturbs him that much. And there is an ignore function so if part-time trolls like myself disturb him or anyone, well, feel free to use it.
And I also agree that this site has always had its fair share of jaded, cynical bastages and sarcastic old fucks. Nothing new. Move along...
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older