Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam last week:

1. H1Z1
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. Saints Row Ultimate Franchise Pack
  5. DayZ
  6. Evolve
  7. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Complete Edition
  8. Sid Meier's Civilization®: Beyond Earth
  9. GRAV
  10. Rust

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 14:25 ForgedReality

Theo wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 10:34:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 21:01:
I caved and pre-ordered GTA5, but not from Steam. I didn't want stupid San Andreas. I'm so glad I opted for L.A. Noire. Such an amazing game! How did I not play this before now?

Never did get the fuss, shuffling around the environment untill your pad buzzes is about the only way to play it ..... (./grin).

I haven't had any issues with kb+m... Most enjoyable game I've played in a while. But, of course, I'm a sucker for a good story/adventure. I used to love the old Sierra/LucasArts games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 13:23 DG

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 16:50:
I was under the impression that SOE was pretty good about their ability to stop and remove bots in PS2 by way of hardware-level banning the offenders? Is this not true?

Bit hard to say. On the one hand I can't recall encountering a clear hacker anytime recently, but on the other the nature and features in the game mean they'd probably be fairly hard to spot unless they were being blatant about it.

IIRC some cheat maker did abandon supporting PS2, the anticheat (and frequency of general game updates) will have played a role in that. I assume this is more that keeping the cheat ahead required an amount of work which isn't justified by the level of income they were getting from the game, rather than the anticheat being undefeatable. Second, the nature of PS2 is to accumulate cert points over time so if you're using a cheat to boost that but then losing it to SOE bans (even in infrequent), then there isn't much to gain from cheating unless you're doing it to troll.

There is quite a lot of suspicions about players manipulating their internet connections for an advantage though.

I don't follow H1Z1, but assuming there is importance to character progression then I'd assume SOE should win out but it will take time. It's a war by economic attrition.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 10:34 Theo

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 21:01:
I caved and pre-ordered GTA5, but not from Steam. I didn't want stupid San Andreas. I'm so glad I opted for L.A. Noire. Such an amazing game! How did I not play this before now?

Never did get the fuss, shuffling around the environment untill your pad buzzes is about the only way to play it ..... (./grin).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 10:07 HorrorScope

Techie714 © wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 00:44:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 22:18:
I bought H1Z1, but can't play it because you can't even remap your controls. ?!?!?!?!?!? *facepalm*

So far they are failing hard at basic game design, not off to a good start.

People like you are the problem with PC Gaming today. Early access....Geez!

Why does there have to be a problem with PC games? If you do a quick search of steam review/forums, a quick Youtube and LiveStream, you can decide if you like the game or not almost assuredly, one will sneak in every now and then, but few. I happen to like a number of EA games, don't mind and often enjoy the process of dev updating process until release.

Where you think I enable bad behavior, you can take the 1/2 full affect, I support development which ultimately brings you a game that would never exist otherwise and some have been pretty darn good. I actually think most AAA companies can stick it, I find myself rooting for companies that have to use EA, KS avenues.

To me it's a self centered argument about how others shouldn't use EA/KS, if you don't like it, don't buy it, if you like later on at release, great. Hopefully we made it better for you then.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 09:55 SpectralMeat

Interesting how that DayZ mod managed to trigger the flood of DayZ-like games. This H1Z1 reminds me of that other one made by the Russian dev that also turned out to be a bust or ripoff or whatever. Survivor games and their drama  

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 09:54 Angrius Maximis

H1Z1: Running Simulator 2000  

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 09:34 Frijoles

I bought H1Z1, but can't play it because you can't even remap your controls. ?!?!?!?!?!? *facepalm*

Pretty sure you can edit one of the .xml files to rebind keys. I saw a post about it somewhere while I was looking in to the game.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 09:20 Xero

Early access is just taking pre-order to the worse level. Rather than pre-order the game so the developer/publisher knows they got your money, they release a non-complete/finished title be it alpha form or worse and let you be a part of the game in all it's sh!tty glory to the finish line.

Then while you complain of what a horrible experience it is and give up on it, others will have full enjoyment of the title when it's completed and playable as was originally planned having not burnt themselves out on the sh!tty state of the early pre-release.

It is an industry just out for your $$$, regardless of your experience.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 08:01 Quinn

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 07:25:

Are...are you trying to defend a massive company's a use of a system designed for struggling independent developers? There's no reason SOE should be releasing a game that isn't feature-complete. I still don't understand people buying unfinished games, especially with the incredible number of them that have sat in EA for over a year, several of high have stopped getting updates.
You wouldn't be happy to pay for the first half of a movie, with the ending arriving...sometime. Maybe. Or half of any other product, for that matter. Why are people excited to pay for half of a game?

You're asking the question, man. Early Access: WHY?! It's like watching a movie without it being edited -- it's always a crappier experience than watching the finished movie, and yet you have to watch the crappier version over and over again. Once the movie is finished and out, you bled it dry.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 07:25 HoSpanky

Are...are you trying to defend a massive company's a use of a system designed for struggling independent developers? There's no reason SOE should be releasing a game that isn't feature-complete. I still don't understand people buying unfinished games, especially with the incredible number of them that have sat in EA for over a year, several of high have stopped getting updates.
You wouldn't be happy to pay for the first half of a movie, with the ending arriving...sometime. Maybe. Or half of any other product, for that matter. Why are people excited to pay for half of a game?

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 00:44 Techie714 ©

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 00:42 Acleacius

I had no idea, some were/are legit, thanks for the infos JohnBirshire and Wallshadows. I might go rogue if there are any legit Vanguard servers!! Mwahaha

Ahh...it seems like it was just yesterday, smedly's lack of intelligence was being measured in negative numbers.

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 23:37 Wallshadows

There are several 'good' private servers which use specific patch versions of previous expansions to capitalize on the nostalgia factor. Some are legit as far as an even playing field whereas others offer pay to win items through donations. They generally have one thing in common though and that's poor raid boss AI in that their scripting is entirely non-existent to poor at best, prone to rollbacks, and general stability issues unless they're rocking some serious hardware and not some junkbox.  

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 23:02 JohnBirshire

Acleacius wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 22:37:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 20:48:
? WOW has rouge private servers.....
I've heard of those too, it's got to be what they are doing. What I've read about those private WoW servers is true, damn glad I've never tried anything that crazy. These days, it's probably insta-hack and capture. Flush

Almost every MMO has private servers, and ironically, some of them are even better than the official servers. *bugs fixed quickly, customer support responds immediately, servers are packed with people* They are big business too, Blizzard sued one of the WoW servers after finding out they were making half a million dollars every single month off of "donations". Didn't do much good, because they shut down and reopened somewhere else a couple months later, and that was just one of the 500+ private servers. From what I've heard, they stopped even bothering to go after them anymore. They are also good for playing older versions of MMO's that people liked better than the later patches, such as for Ultima Online, Everquest, etc. Free servers are everywhere, and very popular.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 22:37 Acleacius

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 20:48:
I've heard of those too, it's got to be what they are doing. What I've read about those private WoW servers is true, damn glad I've never tried anything that crazy. These days, it's probably insta-hack and capture. Flush

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 22:18 JohnBirshire

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 21:44 Primalchrome

You don't like the games I like. You're stupid. GG. (drops mic)

I almost feel like I'm in kindergarten again. Though, 40 years ago saying 'you're stupid' wasn't a hate crime....

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 21:01 ForgedReality

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 20:48 Retired

Acleacius wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 15:05:
I've heard the same Ozmodan, even the full game is apparently cracked. No idea how it works and I've never heard of a mmog being played offline, maybe there setting up private servers.

It's pretty clear the Guild Wars 2 and Secret World models are the most successful F2P style mmog models. Yet, smedely is always doing some stupid crap which never works and loses longtime subscribers to soe as a whole. It's got to be some kind of deluded narcissism. He must spend as much time lying to his board as he does to customers. Yet the people on the soe board must have no idea about gaming to let him keep his job. Surely corporate greed will take over at some point and just fire him for all the lost income.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 18, 2015, 20:16 JohnBirshire

Did someone below just say games like Ultima Online becoming popular is proof gamers are stupid?!?! *facepalm* That was one of the dumbest comments I have ever read in the last decade. MMO's NOT being like UO is the reason they suck, not vice versa. *I agreed with his other points though, I think he is just confused about UO, obviously never played it if he compared it to Everquest*

All these "early access" games...have any of them actually been *finished*? Seems like if you ever want to play the damn things, you have no choice but to pay for early access, because they rarely seem to get past that point.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo