Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders

The Rockstar Warehouse now features preorders of the PC edition of Grand Theft Auto V, offering a free game as a bonus for the advance commitment, along with a pile of in-game cash. Because the free game is given up front, customers will be charged 15% of the cost of their order immediately. For those looking to save a little real money on the deal, it can be had from Green Man Gaming for 23% off with coupon code found on DEALZON. And for those in the U.K., the game is on Gamesplanet.com for 20% off.
View : : :
101 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
Jan 20, 2015, 21:49
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 20, 2015, 21:49
Jan 20, 2015, 21:49

Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 21:31:
The reaction to this is really rather unexpected. I didn't think anybody would make the argument that removing content is fine because we can just pay for it again so I assumed "download" meant piracy. I was wrong to assume that because "and you pay for them too!" is actually being said as if it is a good thing and I did not see that coming.

You shouldn't have to give a fuck about retarded music licensing because you buy a game and ownership is implied. If they want to rent you a game they can sack up and call it that. All of that weasel dick lawyer talk about EULAs and rights is just apologist bullshit from people who haven't even stopped to think about the glaring holes in their library if every game or god help us middleware provider pulled this stunt.

Removing content quietly in a patch is bullshit, you were right all along. Gamers just put up with a lot of shit because most don't even respect themselves enough not to give away their money before they are even provided a product.

Jan 20, 2015, 15:17
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 20, 2015, 15:17
Jan 20, 2015, 15:17

Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 21:31:
Thanks Verno, although I'm not standing up for anything. It's a shame but I don't think this warrants a boycott and I will buy GTA5 once it plays well - i.e. hopefully a few hours after release.

The reaction to this is really rather unexpected. I didn't think anybody would make the argument that removing content is fine because we can just pay for it again so I assumed "download" meant piracy. I was wrong to assume that because "and you pay for them too!" is actually being said as if it is a good thing and I did not see that coming.

And I didn't think anyone would give a shit about some licensed songs from 11 yrs ago being removed from a game that very very people still play, let alone use that as an excuse to boycott a company that makes great games. It's not Rockstars fault that whomever owns the rights said no to renewing the license.

Jan 19, 2015, 01:02
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 19, 2015, 01:02
Jan 19, 2015, 01:02

if you don't think that any product has the right to be sold by the people who create it, and instead have to submit to a large corporate entity to sypher away all their profits, then you're deranged. and I can't capitalize this enough: THIS IS THE VERY FUCKING REASON THAT STEAM WAS INVENTED IN THE FIRST PLACE, SO THAT VALVE DIDN'T HAVE TO HAND THEIR PROFITS OFF TO VIVENDI, A 3RD PARTY PUBLISHER. Irony abounds. although if "analogy" flew over your head, i don't have much hope for you coming to terms with the irony of your argument.

I'm not sure why you keep talking about rights. This isn't a legal matter. Of course Rockstar has the right to not use Steamworks. However, is that in the best interests of its customers? The answer is "no." Customers want Steamworks. That's why the vast majority of customers are going to buy GTA5 on Steam. Rockstar is selling GTA5 on Steam because they know that Valve's 30% cut will be more than offset by the sheer bulk of sales that Steam provides. GTA5 will generate more profit from Steam than it will from any other distributor, including Rockstar's direct sales from their own website.

Also, your comparisons to publishers are misinformed. Most developers rely on publishers to fund development, not just to handle distribution. Valve does not fund development of third-party games. Valve created Steam not to avoid publishers (because developers still rely on publishers and publishers are still selling games on Steam) but to cut out retail. PC gaming was shrinking in retail and publishers needed an alternate, more reliable source of revenue in order to justify PC development. Steam provided that by removing manufacturing and minimizing distribution costs. As such, the profit margins for digital distribution are higher than the profit margins for physical distribution. Were it not for Steam, most publishers would have abandoned PC development by now.

Ultimately, it boils down to giving customers what they want. Customers want Steam. By making Steamworks the standard DRM for GTA5, more customers will be happy and therefore more likely to buy the game (or pay more for it). This isn't about rights or principles. It's about business and using Steamworks is best for business (which is why every publisher except EA, Ubisoft and Rockstar now use Steamworks in all of their games).

Jan 18, 2015, 21:31
Quboid

Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 21:31
Jan 18, 2015, 21:31
 Quboid

Thanks Verno, although I'm not standing up for anything. It's a shame but I don't think this warrants a boycott and I will buy GTA5 once it plays well - i.e. hopefully a few hours after release.

Jan 18, 2015, 16:10
Verno

Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 16:10
Jan 18, 2015, 16:10
 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 10:46:

My mild disapproval of Rockstar's handling of this seems to be terribly upsetting to some people.

"I'm surprised Blue hasn't been deleting posts advocating piracy, as he used to."
Literally 5 minutes later:
"As I've already stated...download the song"

OK buddy...

I would just ignore them, in fact I'm forwarding the thread URL to Blue in hopes of him re-iterating the forum rules to some of our more rude members, especially with regards to personal insults. Things are starting to get kind of ridiculous again, we could use another spring cleaning and a clamp down on the BS.

If you don't want to get GTA because of the song thing, fair enough. I'm personally not affected by it but I do understand that line of reasoning. I think you're missing out on a great title but I respect someone standing behind what they think instead of the mindless crying/buying routine that many seem to do.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Jan 18, 2015, 14:41
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 14:41
Jan 18, 2015, 14:41

I'm just going to leave this here and hope top stem the flow of ignorance a little.

Social Club Online user made jobs.

Complaining you have to log into Social Club is like complaining about having to log into Steam to use Steam Workshop. Stupid.

removed
Jan 18, 2015, 14:35
removed Jan 18, 2015, 14:35
Jan 18, 2015, 14:35

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 19, 2015, 08:15.

Jan 18, 2015, 12:50
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 12:50
Jan 18, 2015, 12:50

Redmask wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 12:46:
That is a pretty impressive two man circlejerk, have fun with that. It is so edgy to make fun of the website you obviously love because you're here all the time. I remember being a teenager too, fun days.

Goodbye kids, daddy is off to do adult things.

But do you hear the violin?

Jan 18, 2015, 12:46
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 12:46
Jan 18, 2015, 12:46

That is a pretty impressive two man circlejerk, have fun with that. It is so edgy to make fun of the website you obviously love because you're here all the time. I remember being a teenager too, fun days.

Goodbye kids, daddy is off to do adult things.

Jan 18, 2015, 12:44
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 12:44
Jan 18, 2015, 12:44

Slick wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 12:40:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 12:34:
Refresh my memory. This is Blue's News, right? The same Blue's News where it's popular to bitch about corporations and the evils of capitalism?

Shhh. Listen carefully and you might hear me playing a downloaded recording of the world's smallest violin.

you shouldn't pirate world's smallest violin recordings, don't you have any ethics? but you should pirate GTA V because R* chose to keep their own sales portal. That way we stick it to the corporation! If only they listened to us and sold through that other MUCH BIGGER corporation, then we wouldn't be so wrathful.

But but but those evil Rockstar suits took my precious violin recordings I originally paid for! Technically I didn't pay for it, the recordings came with a product as a free bonus that was licensed to the developer, but let's not confuse the discussion with facts so I put this statement in super secret mode to not upset people who can barely read. What else am I supposed to do? Go on the internet and bitch to strangers? PRINCIPALS!!!111111

Jan 18, 2015, 12:40
Slick

Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 12:40
Jan 18, 2015, 12:40
 Slick

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 12:34:
Refresh my memory. This is Blue's News, right? The same Blue's News where it's popular to bitch about corporations and the evils of capitalism?

Shhh. Listen carefully and you might hear me playing a downloaded recording of the world's smallest violin.

you shouldn't pirate world's smallest violin recordings, don't you have any ethics? but you should pirate GTA V because R* chose to keep their own sales portal. That way we stick it to the corporation! If only they listened to us and sold through that other MUCH BIGGER corporation, then we wouldn't be so wrathful.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jan 18, 2015, 12:34
Slick

Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 12:34
 Slick

Redmask wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 12:29:
Wrong.

"I never condone pirating games, but music is a whole other story."

Rockstar Social Club sucks ass too, you would know that if you had any actual experience with it and weren't just here to annoy others.

A) you've completely missed the point. i never argued that R* social is good or bad.

B)I've stated in this very thread that i used social for GTA IV
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 12:34

Jan 18, 2015, 12:29
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 12:29
Jan 18, 2015, 12:29

Wrong.

"I never condone pirating games, but music is a whole other story."

Rockstar Social Club sucks ass too, you would know that if you had any actual experience with it and weren't just here to annoy others.

Jan 18, 2015, 12:00
Slick

Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 12:00
Jan 18, 2015, 12:00
 Slick

are you serious?

he never once said "steal the song". he said "download" the song. So unless you're assuming the reasonable alternative is to go to an HMV and buy a cassette, then you're both inferring illegality to the term "download".

which ironically makes you suspect

and as for R* social club. it's not about it being better or worse than other services. the bottom line is it's their platform for their product. going with steamworks would mean now %100 of sales now go through steam, and they lose that %30 across the board.

it really is hilarious how people call me a shill, then turnaround and mock anything that's not exclusively offered through steam (aka give up all rights to sell it through your own portal, retaining all profits for the product you created).

you're equating there being a better product on the market reason enough to give up rights of ownership. which is HILARIOUS, because Valve was in the same position when they invented the Steam platform.

Jan 18, 2015, 11:25
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 11:25
Jan 18, 2015, 11:25

Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 10:46:
My mild disapproval of Rockstar's handling of this seems to be terribly upsetting to some people.

"I'm surprised Blue hasn't been deleting posts advocating piracy, as he used to."

OK buddy...

It's simple cognitive dissonance. They want to feel better about their purchases but they know these things are legitimate complaints so they get angry and aggressive since they can't reconcile their internal contradiction.

Jan 18, 2015, 10:46
Quboid

Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 10:46
Jan 18, 2015, 10:46
 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 10:17:
Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 09:25:
How have I moved the goal posts? The principle is that they sold me something and then took it away. That has always been my objection, my mysterious sense of entitlement to something that I am entitled to.

"If you think you understand license agreements" - read the part of my post which you removed from the quote which specifically addresses this.

There's nothing wrong with your complaint or attitude to be honest, I wouldn't give his post much thought. Being told to pirate some music to satisfy an unauthorized content removal in a video game is fucking hilarious.

OK buddy...

Jan 18, 2015, 10:31
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 10:31
Jan 18, 2015, 10:31

Redmask wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 10:17:
How have I moved the goal posts? The principle is that they sold me something and then took it away. That has always been my objection, my mysterious sense of entitlement to something that I am entitled to.

"If you think you understand license agreements" - read the part of my post which you removed from the quote which specifically addresses this.

There's nothing wrong with your complaint or attitude to be honest, I wouldn't give his post much thought. Being told to pirate some music to satisfy an unauthorized content removal in a video game is fucking hilarious.

Oh please. You're going to tell me with a straight face you don't have your own playlist and paid for every single mp3 you ever downloaded? I never condone pirating games, but music is a whole other story. Boo fucking hoo.

Jan 18, 2015, 10:17
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 10:17
Jan 18, 2015, 10:17

Jan 18, 2015, 09:57
Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 09:57
Jan 18, 2015, 09:57

Problem i have is that i regularly play on three machines. Not simultaneously but at 3 locations depending what im doing (home, work and 2nd work). Hardware specific drm is stupid, will that stop me playing? What if my gfx and mobo fry? Im sure there is a reset if you phone support but not for resetting daily...
Edit:steam has no issues with any game doing this (so far..)
Other games to play so ill pass for the time being.
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
101 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older