WildStar Changes Planned

The WildStar website outlines "big plans" Carbine Studios has for their MMORPG this year. WildStar Product Director Mike Donatelli expresses pride in some awards the game collected as 2014 ended, but also takes criticisms of the game head on, saying they will that they will continue to enhance WildStar, they will be making it "a more fun, less grindy, game," and that one of their focuses will be to support varied play styles and group sizes. Here's a portion with a bit of the big picture as well as specifics on their next update:
Getting more specific and focusing on our next update, The Protogames Initiative, we are adding many new features, including:

• Protogames Academy – a training dungeon to prepare lower level players for telegraphs, interrupt armor, and boss mechanics.
  • Ultimate Protogames – an exciting new dungeon for upper level players.
  • They Came from Fragment Zero! – a level 6 shiphand that introduces players to group gameplay at a much earlier level.
  • LFG upgrades – currently, some shiphands, adventures, and dungeons are intentionally hidden or need to be unlocked. Unfortunately, this keeps many players out of the content. Moving forward, all of this content will be added to an expanded LFG tool.
  • Datascape 20 – the 40-person dungeon wasn’t getting played as often as we hoped. Not only was the content challenging, but roster management was painful. In the next update we will lower the player requirement down to 20.

Looking further ahead into 2015, we will ramp up shorter-session (30-45 minute) gaming content. The intent is to give players something they can do more quickly in game that still delivers a sense of accomplishment (and meaningful loot). Some of the things we plan in this timeframe include:

• A new Contracts system which will provide players with short, fun objectives throughout different kinds of WildStar content, enabling them to obtain rare and exciting rewards.
  • Revising overall levelling and elder games experiences and making adjustments to enhance story immersion, fight combat fatigue, and fine-tune our reward streams.
  • As our Raiding guilds begin to face Avatus in the Datascape, we’re working on your next challenge! A brand new 20-player experience.
  • This isn’t everything, not by a longshot. We’ve got much more in store for you in the coming months and the bottom line is that we have very big plans for WildStar in 2015. We hope that you’ll join the conversation and help us shape WildStar’s future.

View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: WildStar Changes Planned
Jan 16, 2015, 11:26
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 16, 2015, 11:26
Jan 16, 2015, 11:26

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 12:47:
People talk about that a lot. Do they ever want to do that shit again? HELL NO. No one does. We did it because that was the only option at the time in a very limited market and most of us were in college. This generation of college gamer doesn't have to grind reputation for weeks on end to see the next big thing in their video game because they have options and can always just go play something else that doesn't suck away their will to live.

Making a MMORPG designed for predated notions of what a HARDCORE MMORPG player is was doomed to fail from the beginning because that player only existed because they had no other options. Playing EQ was suffering, but it was that or UO. There was no Hardcore or Casual. Just pain.

Good to see them realize that.

You only speak for yourself and your generation. I see this attitude time and again where people believe that past game ideas have no place in the modern world. This is a perfect example of egocentrism. Just because you have experienced, and are finished with, the original, old-world EQ, that doesn't mean the entirety of the world population has. Why does the gameply of EVERY new game have to devolve until it reaches a "push a button to WIN!" formula?

I played Vanguard less than a year ago and it's the closest I have gotten to the original EQ. I, for one, would like more of it. Let me, and others like me, have that while the rest of you are content with 2 minute flash games that obviously satiate your time.

Jan 16, 2015, 02:03
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 16, 2015, 02:03
Jan 16, 2015, 02:03

I thoroughly enjoyed Wildstar - got to max level, and then suddenly didnt. I simply had no desire to keep playing, one of the fastest turnarounds in an MMO for me.

The arcade action style gameplay was really enjoyable to a point.

The game sucked socially. No-one ever spoke, ever. You'd get groups that wouldnt speak a word, not even basic hellos to each other. It just had no social element at all - which for an MMO is bad. That plus rampant botting, both bots warping around collecting all the resources in zones, or running around mindless in the 2 pvp arenas, yeah, it just blew.

I've gone from caring about this game to seeing posts like this, where there's no excitement whatsoever. You can almost feel the dead game vibe in the style of the dev's writing. Their only good asset - Stephan Frost, behind their hilarious range of marketing videos, left the company. Beyond that, there goes all the style.

Jan 16, 2015, 01:04
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 16, 2015, 01:04
Jan 16, 2015, 01:04

How do games like this even get released? Don't the people who work on it know that it's too grindy and not really fun? That's kind of like releasing a new car that rides bumpy, squeaks, and has very little pickup. What's the point?

Jan 16, 2015, 00:46
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 16, 2015, 00:46
Jan 16, 2015, 00:46

I cannot fathom how it's taken this team of talented and relatively intelligent humans this long to realize their systems and ideas had no audience today.

Who is running that shit show over there at Carbine? Whoever management is, they need to be cleansed with fire.

Too little too late folks! Missed opportunities.

Edit: And my GOD someone needs to wake Brad McQuaid and welcome him to 2015. That project looks embarrassing.

Re: Into the Black
Jan 15, 2015, 23:14
Re: Into the Black Jan 15, 2015, 23:14
Jan 15, 2015, 23:14

Darks wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 16:44:
LOL, I was about to post the same thing. remove their stupid sub and they will be more successful.

Ditto. I'll frequently put a game on hold for 6 months or more, anyone that wants to charge me during that period is someone I won't deal with. I'm not a big MMO fan but I liked the way Guild Wars 2 did it for the short time I played it.

Jan 15, 2015, 16:44
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 16:44
Jan 15, 2015, 16:44

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 15:23:
You want to fix your game? Stop charging a subscription. Realize that teenagers aren't your biggest audience and that the people who are don't have time to sit down for 10 hour raids anymore.

It's a decent game, but it's been done to death.

LOL, I was about to post the same thing. remove their stupid sub and they will be more successful.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Jan 15, 2015, 16:43
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 16:43
Jan 15, 2015, 16:43

wtf_man wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 15:28:
...or they completely have Blinders on

Brad McQuaid. Doing all he knows how to do for the last 20 years. Gotta him love for at least being persistent in the face of the universe telling him to knock it off and move on.

Man. That game even visually gives me EQ flashbacks. The website too. Shit. That entire project looks like its traveled here form the late 90's to warn us about the late 90's.

Jan 15, 2015, 15:28
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 15:28
Jan 15, 2015, 15:28

Pigeon wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 13:33:
Yeah. I think Vanguard suffered from some of the same problems. Well, it suffered from a lot more problems, but still...

People may talk about the "good ol' days of MMORPGs" where you spent 3 days camping a rare mob spawn who dropped the 12th component for a 35 component chain quest that awarded you with some new +10 sword...

They might talk to their guild mates about how epic it was to lead a raid of 40 morons though Molten Core week after week sometimes not downing a single boss or just farming trash to get fire resistance up in order to even have a chance...

People talk about that a lot. Do they ever want to do that shit again? HELL NO. No one does. We did it because that was the only option at the time in a very limited market and most of us were in college. This generation of college gamer doesn't have to grind reputation for weeks on end to see the next big thing in their video game because they have options and can always just go play something else that doesn't suck away their will to live.

Making a MMORPG designed for predated notions of what a HARDCORE MMORPG player is was doomed to fail from the beginning because that player only existed because they had no other options. Playing EQ was suffering, but it was that or UO. There was no Hardcore or Casual. Just pain.

Yeah there is definitely a lot rose colored glasses going on when people talk about the good ole days of MMOs...

...or they completely have Blinders on
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Jan 15, 2015, 15:23
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 15:23
Jan 15, 2015, 15:23

You want to fix your game? Stop charging a subscription. Realize that teenagers aren't your biggest audience and that the people who are don't have time to sit down for 10 hour raids anymore.

It's a decent game, but it's been done to death.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jan 15, 2015, 15:02
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 15:02
Jan 15, 2015, 15:02

Maybe they should hire Wildman as their spokesman!
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Jan 15, 2015, 14:38
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 14:38
Jan 15, 2015, 14:38

This was a pretty fun game had some cool ideas just never really grabbed me.

Jan 15, 2015, 14:17
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 14:17
Jan 15, 2015, 14:17

I still get an MMO itch every now and then, but I know there's nothing that can scratch it. My expectations are for an experience that is an idealization based only off the fun I have had in previous MMOs. Obviously not a realistic expectation for several reasons, chief among those is me and my friends being older and having less time to devote to such an endeavor.

I perpetually have that itch. I've gone back to EQ and WoW many times, and the itch is only briefly satisfied before the game stops scratching it. I just don't have the time to invest in these games anymore, and because of that, I can't convince myself to play them, since I know that I'll be blocked from obtaining the gear I want because I have to first spend x amount of time levelling, pre-gearing, skilling up, farming money, etc. I just don't see the point anymore.
I think this process, this game design, worked well for a long time, but now my taste in video games has changed and I've come to appreciate pure skill style games more, where the enjoyment is more about reaction, quick thinking, or puzzles. But I remain frustrated, because since Diablo released in 1996, and through six years of EQ and three years of WoW, I've trained myself to desire drawn-out rewards style gameplay. And it really is satisfying when you finally achieve max level, best-in-slot gear, and all the little trinkets and toys and fancy swords and epics to go along with that. I just don't have the time to do that anymore -- but part of me still wants it.

Funny...
Jan 15, 2015, 13:59
Funny... Jan 15, 2015, 13:59
Jan 15, 2015, 13:59

What I find funny is that WildStar is having to become more like Wow to keep and gain subscribers...

... and WoW is trying to become more like WildStar by "hiding" more things (treasures, quests, events, etc.) to reward players who explore more.

Jan 15, 2015, 13:33
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 13:33
Jan 15, 2015, 13:33

Yeah. I think Vanguard suffered from some of the same problems. Well, it suffered from a lot more problems, but still...

People may talk about the "good ol' days of MMORPGs" where you spent 3 days camping a rare mob spawn who dropped the 12th component for a 35 component chain quest that awarded you with some new +10 sword...

They might talk to their guild mates about how epic it was to lead a raid of 40 morons though Molten Core week after week sometimes not downing a single boss or just farming trash to get fire resistance up in order to even have a chance...

Yeah there is definitely a lot rose colored glasses going on when people talk about the good ole days of MMOs. I admit there was a level of excitement when you'd finish one of those 35 component chain quests, or get that ultra rare drop after committing genocide against the server population of blue eared goblins, that isn't present in most MMOs now. But there was a whole lot more frustration at not being able to see content because the grind was too painful.

I still get an MMO itch every now and then, but I know there's nothing that can scratch it. My expectations are for an experience that is an idealization based only off the fun I have had in previous MMOs. Obviously not a realistic expectation for several reasons, chief among those is me and my friends being older and having less time to devote to such an endeavor.

Jan 15, 2015, 13:16
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 13:16
Jan 15, 2015, 13:16

Glad to see they are working on one of the biggest problems with this game, it was way too fucking hard. They had the right idea of training you to not stand in fire from the earliest lvls but the horrible tutorial never actually taught you anything. Don't even get me started on the stunbreak mechanic.

Another was right before release they made instances a lot harder. To the point there was literally no point of doing them, not to mention a lot of them being hidden. this meant that people hit max and never grouped before and just got raped.

Jan 15, 2015, 12:47
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 12:47
Jan 15, 2015, 12:47

Jan 15, 2015, 12:26
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 12:26
Jan 15, 2015, 12:26

Maybe these are all great changes, how many people really go back and see for themselves? Tough roads ahead.

What I find amazing is mmo with years of patch notes a mile long... as basically it all plays the same still, relatively speaking.

Jan 15, 2015, 12:22
Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 12:22
Jan 15, 2015, 12:22

So basically...a wow clone even more
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older