Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Universal Combat Advanced Announced

A new Universal Combat Twitter account is online with images and tweets indicating that Derek Smart and 3000AD are gearing up for a remake of Universal Combat, the space combat series that followed the company's Battlecruiser series. There is the promise of an official website soon, and in the meantime, the game now has a Facebook page that includes this post on the news:

For a refresher course on the extensive gameplay features in the series, take a look at the UCCE game manual from 2009.

Our goal with "Universal Combat Advanced", the spiritual successor to our long running Battlecruiser series, is to retain all features, while completely overhauling the graphics engine, game world, assets (models, world, terrain, art) and audio engines. In other words, a modern graphics remake of a classic game.

http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/ucce/GAME_MANUAL.PDF

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 19:16 Devo_N

I played (or tried to play) BC3K back in the day. The bugginess and brokenness was legendary, but even when it was (kinda) fixed, the underlying game was TERRIBLE. The UI was just a model of how not to make a game. And as some have said, it's a shame, because if that game was made well, I'd probably never play anything else.
I have no idea how Universal Combat turned out. The screenshots looked atrocious and given "Dr." Smart's responses to his critics, I have no faith at all that he learned anything from his mistakes.
I do always look forward to Smart's games, just for the drama. One day I hope someone makes BC3K correctly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 17:52 Ranger55

1badmf wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 17:45:
Angrius Maximis wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:31:
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

HIDE YOUR SODA MACHINES THE ADMIRAL SUPREME FLEET COMMANDER RULER OF THE UNIVERSE IS BACK!

man what a let down. we did the magic chant and the boogey man never showed up. maybe we have to turn around 3 times in front of the bathroom mirror?

I think that only worked on VE3D.

22. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 17:45 1badmf

Angrius Maximis wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:31:
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

HIDE YOUR SODA MACHINES THE ADMIRAL SUPREME FLEET COMMANDER RULER OF THE UNIVERSE IS BACK!

man what a let down. we did the magic chant and the boogey man never showed up. maybe we have to turn around 3 times in front of the bathroom mirror?

21. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 15:36 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:25:
Razumen wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:22:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:14:
You guys really have something special going on for Derek don't you

I've never played any of his games, but it's fun to watch all the drama that inevitably unfolds around news about him, especially since the Bluesnews community is such an "optimistic" place.

I hear ya.
I've never played any of his games either, but these threads are always entertaining to read.
Although the Star Citizen threads getting close to top the Derek Smart ones these days

No stories of Chris Roberts beating up soda machines...YET.

I played BC3K demo 18 years ago or so. While I appreciated what he was trying to do, the execution left something to be desired. You gotta admire the guys staying power though. Been doing this more than 20 years now.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

20. Re: I am a drunk panda in winter Jan 13, 2015, 14:14 Drayth

Kxmode wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 12:12:

http://www.ahmedv.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/hangar%20hanger.jpg

People really need to learn the difference...

eyup

19. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 14:13 DangerDog

What? No Kickstarter?  

18. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 14:08 Burrito of Peace

Are the pictures on that Twitter account from the first game? I hope so because they look terrible.  

17. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 13:37 Cutter

If there's a bigger glutton for punishment out there I've never heard of him.

"Lights going out and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment, that's entertainment"

16. Re: I am a drunk panda in winter Jan 13, 2015, 12:12 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:49:
Backers get to play Desktop Commander from their hanger while the game's being developed.

http://www.ahmedv.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/hangar%20hanger.jpg

People really need to learn the difference...

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

15. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jan 13, 2015, 12:06 Kxmode

You know, I think you should all be nicer to Hderek Hsmart. Hderek Hsmart seems like a nice guy.

Smash

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

14. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 11:54 Wolfox

InBlack wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:32:
I played the original Battlecruiser 3000 or whatever it was called back in the day. It was was allright.

I did too. It had numerous technical and design issues, but I still admire its ambition. I'd certainly like to see a game that fully realized the ideas that BC3000AD tried to implement (and mostly failed for various reasons).

I'll keep an eye on Universal Combat Advanced. I haven't tried the Universal Combat series, but I might try this one if the price is right.

13. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 10:38 .o0o.

PHJF wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 10:26:
Dr. Smart is going to want $60,000,000 kickstarted because "that's how much the other guy got!"

Well, he IS a doctor and all. Rotfl

12. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 10:36 Slashman

"Our goal with "Universal Combat Advanced", the spiritual successor to our long running Battlecruiser series, is to retain all features, while completely overhauling the graphics engine, game world, assets (models, world, terrain, art) and audio engines. In other words, a modern graphics remake of a classic game."

So it sounds like the goal is to make it look pretty while keeping all the crap and drudgery that made it such a lemon in the first place. Sounds fun!!!!

11. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 10:26 PHJF

Lemme guess, it's gonna be early access and Dr. Smart is going to want $60,000,000 kickstarted because "that's how much the other guy got!"  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:49 Verno

Universal Combat, the name was inspired by Derek's style of interaction with his community.  
Playing: Pillars of Eternity 2, Far Cry 5, Persona 5
Watching: Safe, Game Night, Last Flag Flying

9. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:49 Drayth

Backers get to play Desktop Commander from their hanger while the game's being developed.  

8. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:32 InBlack

I played the original Battlecruiser 3000 or whatever it was called back in the day. It was was allright.  

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:32 wtf_man

Wonder if anyone plays that Alagaminom (or whatever) MMO that he stole/inheritied (depending on whom you believe) from that other freak David Allen.

Talk about double damnation for a game! LOL

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

6. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:31 Angrius Maximis

DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

5. Re: Universal Combat Advanced Announced Jan 13, 2015, 09:25 SpectralMeat

Razumen wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:22:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 09:14:
You guys really have something special going on for Derek don't you

I've never played any of his games, but it's fun to watch all the drama that inevitably unfolds around news about him, especially since the Bluesnews community is such an "optimistic" place.

I hear ya.
I've never played any of his games either, but these threads are always entertaining to read.
Although the Star Citizen threads getting close to top the Derek Smart ones these days

Steam: SpectralMeat

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo