Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback

The Frontier Development forum has the follow-up on their plan to decide how to deal with the billions of spacebux that some Elite: Dangerous players received as a result of glitches in the game (thanks Massively). Word is they are rolling back accidental windfalls, and will be dealing with each case individually, though those who exploited the situation may not receive such gentle treatment:
The “Billionaires”

Firstly, I just want to clarify who I mean by the “Billionaires”. These are the very few commanders who received large amounts of credits due to a bug in our credit refund process following our brief database hiccup. These credits were not given by a bug in our server – more in the tools and processes we use to rectify commanders and their saves if something goes awry. This was of course fixed, should we need to use the tools again.

Secondly... we hear you! After initially deciding we would offer the choice to these affected commanders about whether to keep their credits or reset themselves to their pre-credit-refund state; commanders in the community questioned whether this would affect the integrity of the game and the wider galaxy. In light of this (and after much deliberation) we have decided to remove all credits, assets and gains from these commanders to balance the playing field. We shall be contacting the affected commanders directly to reflect this change in our decision. Which leads us nicely into...

The “Exploiters”

We are aware of the few exploits which existed for commanders to get credit advantages over other players. We have since patched these exploits to avoid further abuse. Over the next few days we shall be removing all credits and assets gained from these exploits. We have also updated our code of conduct to be completely clear on our stance on cheating, abusing exploits and hacking. This can be read here: https://store.elitedangerous.com/code-of-conduct.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback
Jan 10, 2015, 14:29
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 10, 2015, 14:29
Jan 10, 2015, 14:29

Same thing with GTA 5.

Players exploited bugs Rockstar did not fix. Rockstar removed assets from those players, players who gamed the exploits the hardest were removed from regular online/banned completely.

GTA 5 exploiters banned

Don't see how this is going to create any PR nightmare. Players who actively exploited are at risk (it becomes obvious if you know ED's economy/trade prices) of being removed not those that accident;y made a few thousand credits on a bug. This is good news to every current player and shows future exploiters/cheaters will be taken care of swiftly so little worries about them in the future.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Jan 10, 2015, 08:18
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 10, 2015, 08:18
Jan 10, 2015, 08:18

Bit of a faux pas in the wording of the email going out.
It's their bug, they bodged it, but to accuse their players of exploiting, and potential bans? This company has a huge problem with PR/talking to customers. The game is fantastic, but whoever's sending out these emails threatening their customers needs to knock it off.
At this point, I'm very wary of logging in if there's potential bugs that could get me banned.

Jan 9, 2015, 16:33
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 16:33
Jan 9, 2015, 16:33

Darks wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 15:58:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:37:
Darks wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:33:
It was their fuckup and not the users fault. so now everyone suffers because of it.
I don't follow.
How does everyone suffer because some people that got rich for no reason gets their bank account reset?

This exact same thing happens in real life too, in fact I ones had like 300 grand deposited onto my bank account by accident where the bank fucked up and someone's mortgage was put onto my account.
Was the bank supposed to write that off as their fuck up and let me spend it all?

Dont be stupid Spectral, we are NOT talking about real life money here. OKAY? And I was under the impression that the entire server was getting rolled back, that was what I am referring to. those kind of roll backs effect everyone.

Reading the article would have helped.

Jan 9, 2015, 15:58
Darks

Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 15:58
Jan 9, 2015, 15:58
 Darks

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:37:
It was their fuckup and not the users fault. so now everyone suffers because of it.
I don't follow.
How does everyone suffer because some people that got rich for no reason gets their bank account reset?

This exact same thing happens in real life too, in fact I ones had like 300 grand deposited onto my bank account by accident where the bank fucked up and someone's mortgage was put onto my account.
Was the bank supposed to write that off as their fuck up and let me spend it all?

Dont be stupid Spectral, we are NOT talking about real life money here. OKAY? And I was under the impression that the entire server was getting rolled back, that was what I am referring to. those kind of roll backs effect everyone.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Jan 9, 2015, 14:15
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 14:15
Jan 9, 2015, 14:15

Bundy wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 14:08:
One thing that happened that wasn't mentioned here is someone on the forums found a listing where one of the billionaires was trying to sell his account. So initially with only a few people given all this money, they tried to let it slide. There's actually not a whole lot to do with your money in Elite once you buy all the ships and the best upgrades for each, so a billion might as well be a kajillion zillion.

Once it became obvious that they'd likely just try to sell them for real life money, they probably realized that they needed to actually fix this.

And the greater possibility of billionaires getting bored and griefing other players.

Frontier Development's financial report shows they've sold 300,000 copies of Elite Dangerous, I think that excludes the number of people who bought in on the kickstarter.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2015, 16:05.

Jan 9, 2015, 14:08
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 14:08
Jan 9, 2015, 14:08

One thing that happened that wasn't mentioned here is someone on the forums found a listing where one of the billionaires was trying to sell his account. So initially with only a few people given all this money, they tried to let it slide. There's actually not a whole lot to do with your money in Elite once you buy all the ships and the best upgrades for each, so a billion might as well be a kajillion zillion.

Once it became obvious that they'd likely just try to sell them for real life money, they probably realized that they needed to actually fix this.

Jan 9, 2015, 13:36
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 13:36
Jan 9, 2015, 13:36

Money in this game is so hard to make. Five billion free credits is ridiculous. I think it would have broken the game for me, since it effectively removes the carrot from the stick.

Jan 9, 2015, 13:19
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 13:19
Jan 9, 2015, 13:19

Jackplug wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 13:14:
Thank god I didn't buy this boring sandbox piece of shit!
Thank god you didn't!
Steam: SpectralMeat

Jan 9, 2015, 13:17
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 13:17
Jan 9, 2015, 13:17

I think when Frontier originally discovered the glitch, they wanted to be cool about it and just let the players keep their newly gained fortune, but... they realized that It definitely affects the long term integrity of the game. These people (some innocent and some not so innocent) do not deserve to be the first players to get a $1 billion capital ship (if that ever happens) and they should not be able to saturate trade routes artificially.

Tough call to make, but I think Frontier is making the right decision. I would also argue that winning the glitch lottery effectively ruins the game for that player.

Jan 9, 2015, 13:14
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 13:14
Jan 9, 2015, 13:14

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 13:06:
I think is where I enter:
The offline version doesn't have this problem.

This is where I enter:
Thank god I didn't buy this boring sandbox piece of shit!

Jan 9, 2015, 13:06
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 13:06
Jan 9, 2015, 13:06

I think is where I enter:
The offline version doesn't have this problem.

Jan 9, 2015, 12:56
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:56
Jan 9, 2015, 12:56

No worries

Jan 9, 2015, 12:55
Jivaro

Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:55
Jan 9, 2015, 12:55
 Jivaro

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:54:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:52:
these players will have less than they had before the incident?

Not sure how did you end up with that conclusion.
From the text in the news story:
reset themselves to their pre-credit-refund state

I totally see how I came to that conclusion..lol...I didn't see the part you quoted the first time. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jan 9, 2015, 12:54
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:54
Jan 9, 2015, 12:54

Jivaro wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 12:52:
these players will have less than they had before the incident?

Not sure how did you end up with that conclusion.
From the text in the news story:
reset themselves to their pre-credit-refund state

Jan 9, 2015, 12:52
Jivaro

Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:52
Jan 9, 2015, 12:52
 Jivaro

Someone explain this to me...they are going to wipe all the funds of the "billionaires" despite admitting that those players didn't knowingly do anything wrong? As in, these players will have less than they had before the incident?

If that's true I am not sure I understand how that is "fair". I am not saying they should be able to keep all of it, but it seems odd to me that they would clean them completely out.

Jan 9, 2015, 12:51
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:51
Jan 9, 2015, 12:51

I can't believe why they were even considering letting people keep the billions of credits they were wrongly given. In a game where everyone manipulates the same economy, wouldn't that throw the entire economy completely out of whack?

Jan 9, 2015, 12:37
Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:37
Jan 9, 2015, 12:37

I don't follow.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2015, 12:42.

Jan 9, 2015, 12:33
Darks

Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 12:33
Jan 9, 2015, 12:33
 Darks

I always get conflicted about stuff like this. It was their fuckup and not the users fault. so now everyone suffers because of it.

They should just suck it up and leave it alone and write this one off as a learning lesson.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older