Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams

A thread on Ken Levine's Facebook page discusses the uncertainty surrounding some game properties, as the Irrational Games boss says that he doesn't actually know who owns the rights to System Shock, the old-school action/RPG that inspired the BioShock series, though he confirms that Take-Two owns the rights to BioShock (thanks Jivaro). The thread includes some interesting participation from other developers, as George Broussard suggests Kickstarting another "spiritual successor" to System Shock using the Unity engine, and there are also posts from Brian Reynolds. Reynolds says the System Shock rights sound as convoluted as the Alpha Centauri rights, and his follow-up explanation reveals his desire to be able to create a shooter based on the 4X strategy series he helped design at Firaxis. Here's word:

I think EA mostly owns it but Firaxis has the right to develop, but Firaxis is now part of 2K, so it's a big gordian knot. And the main original story guy (me) doesn't work at any of those places. On the other hand I remember back in the 90's when the Civ rights were a complete mess e.g. Activision, Hasbro, Spectrum Holobyte, Avalon Hill, Hartland Trefoil. Miraculously that particular IP Humpty Dumpty got put back together again which is why there are still new Civ games. Of course what I really want to do is a shooter/RPG in the Alpha Centauri universe :)

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 6, 2015, 08:42 Pr()ZaC

Wesp5 wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 07:10:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 06:57:
Besides, something like SS2 would be a niche title, and probably not funded at the AAA level.

There already was a SS2 and it was bad enough compared to its predecessor. Then we had Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 (= Infinite) all using the same SS plot twist over and over again. I don't see the need for one more...

Hey... who told you you could post in here?? Go back patching Bloodlines!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 6, 2015, 08:39 Spektr

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 23:28:
Yeah, if we were to get a new System Shock, I'd rather it look better than a dated mobile game.

Dated mobile games is a concept relatively new to me. Whereas interesting mobile games is one I am still looking forward to seeing.

13. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 6, 2015, 07:10 Wesp5

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 06:57:
Besides, something like SS2 would be a niche title, and probably not funded at the AAA level.

There already was a SS2 and it was bad enough compared to its predecessor. Then we had Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 (= Infinite) all using the same SS plot twist over and over again. I don't see the need for one more...

12. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 6, 2015, 06:57 jdreyer

Besides, something like SS2 would be a niche title, and probably not funded at the AAA level. I'd rather them focus the money on story and gameplay over graphics.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

11. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 6, 2015, 06:00 ehaykal

Unity is being used for AAA games and it can render graphics in very high standards. It is not an engine limitation.  

10. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 23:28 Parallax Abstraction

Fantaz wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 19:57:
why make a spiritual successor to System Shock using Unity when you could use something nicer, like Unreal Engine 4?

Yeah, if we were to get a new System Shock, I'd rather it look better than a dated mobile game.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

9. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 20:14 nin

Fantaz wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 19:57:
why make a spiritual successor to System Shock using Unity when you could use something nicer, like Unreal Engine 4?

"Money" would be my first thought.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

8. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 19:57 Fantaz

7. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 19:31 Prez

An RPG/Shooter (thinking Borderlands-ish) in the Alpha Centauri universe would be fabulous, thanks!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 18:31 eRe4s3r

Alpha Centauri RPG... made alá Mass Effect.. or Dragon Age Inquisition? Bring it on!  

5. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 18:27 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 17:55:
Actually just shot Levine a message on FB that we need a new Freedom Force so he should get to work on doing a KS for it!

You are so so so right! Nothing in the 40s though! Enough WW2 stuff. Set it in the 70s or 80s and keep going from there.

4. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 18:02 Jivaro

Someone in the FB thread speculates that Ken made the post as a subtle game announcement. It's an interesting theory, but I think this is probably just the harmless response to a few thousand fan requests regarding System Shock that it appears to be.

That being said, if Brian Reynolds makes an Alpha Centauri rpg/shooter someday we will be able to look back on this random FB thread and say "Thanks Ken!"

edit: I would also add that while I have never met anyone who didn't like Freedom Force I have met a lot of people that considered it a pretty average game. In other words, while I myself loved both games, it appears most people think they were simply "good" games that could have been much better. The sales numbers, if I recall, indicated that not many people were overly impressed by the demo that was provided on the cover of PC Gamer magazine and at Fileplanet at the time. Perhaps now that superheroes are more mainstream than ever Ken would be able to make the Freedom Force game that Gotham gamers deserve.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2015, 18:09.

3. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 18:00 Beelzebud

George Broussard and "Kickstarting" in the same sentence makes me gag. Anyone that would give him their hard earned money is a fool.  

2. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 17:56 NewMaxx

The valuation of IP is a tricky business. It's actually a lot like the real estate market. Certain IP is more valuable being held as an unused asset than the risk vs. reward investment of development, especially if negotiations with other parties are a requirement. If you realize that IP is handled like a financial security, and often parceled like one, you will have a much better understanding of the situation. I'm not condoning it, I'm not happy about it, I'm just saying it's more complex than, "why don't they make this game!!" I was briefly in the programming business and I also know a coder for EA, and let me say the work environment for it is screaming for legal reform. The fact that the business end is even worse is of no surprise to anyone.  

1. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 5, 2015, 17:55 Cutter

Actually just shot Levine a message on FB that we need a new Freedom Force so he should get to work on doing a KS for it!

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo