Roll20 Virtual Tabletop

Roll20 is a web-based virtual tabletop for pen-and-paper RPGs. Premium features are offered, but at its core this is free, and thanks to its use of HTML5, platform agnostic (thanks Kxmode). Here's word:
Who's this for?
Roll20 is a virtual tabletop. So it's all about taking any game that you traditionally play on a table (especially pen and paper RPGs and board games), and bringing it online. Play with friends who've moved across the country, or find a completely new gaming group online. Roll20 is easy to use, so dive in and get started!

Is this really free?
Yes! Roll20 is absolutely free to use for both GMs and players. Initial development of Roll20 was funded via Kickstarter, and we do offer totally optional supporter accounts for those who want access to additional perks (like more storage space and direct access to the Dev team) to help fund further improvements. But even if you're on a Base account for free, you'll still have access to everything you need to run your game -- unlimited campaigns and players, with access to all the great features listed on this page.
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop
Jan 9, 2015, 21:47
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 9, 2015, 21:47
Jan 9, 2015, 21:47

ldonyo wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 09:33:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/curmudgeon

That seems to sum it up quite nicely.

I may have you beat on PnP playing, as I started in 1976 with the white box set of D&D rules when I was 12.

Back on topic, this is pretty cool and would definitely be useful if our group dispersed across the globe.

Shhh! Don't derail his being the cool kid with things like facts or you know, a basic understanding of the English language.

Jan 9, 2015, 21:45
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 9, 2015, 21:45
Jan 9, 2015, 21:45

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 02:01:
commonperson wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 21:39:
Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 18:01:
Pretty cool, but the whole tiered free and premium crap leaves me cold. Just sell a complete damn product already. I'd still rather have a proper new NWN however, sigh.

You want some apples for those oranges? NWN is nothing at all like this, that's like saying "Well that's a nice boat but I want an airplane". This is a virtual table top for people to run games, the tiered product is so players can get the product without having to play and the GM can use the product.

Also it's basically in infinite trial period. My GM in Australia was running a game with people in North America and the UK for years didn't pay. I paid for the service because I wanted access to the locked out features like line of sight and lighting but if you are playing a role playing game like D&D none of that is even needed. The product is complete, they are just letting people try it out first.

I know you're the local curmudgeon Cutter but try and at least keep it vaguely related. When you pull NWN in to the equation you look like you are pulling at straws to come up with something to complain about.

Oh pleas, when will you trolls stop? Curmudgeon? How? Better go through my post history, scooter, because the positive far outweighs the negative. And I don't start the shit, I respond to it. People want to start fights, that's fine, I'll oblige them. If a game deserves criticism there's nothing surly about calling it as such. Sometimes, you just have to call a spade a spade, chief.

And obviously one of these things is not like the other. How long did it take for you to figure that out, sport? If you had half a brain, you'd understand what it was I was actually saying. I was PnPing before you were an accident in your mom.

I somehow doubt it kiddo (and trust me I've probably got quite a few years on you) it takes a little more than calling some one a curmudgeon to be considered trolling but your delicate sensibilities at times really seem like it can't take what it dishes.

You start by complaining about the "incomplete product" and then wrap it up with what you are saying is a lame joke about wanting NWN. Trust me squirt, you don't know what you're talking about having used the free product for some time before paying for it.

Jan 7, 2015, 01:57
Kxmode

Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 7, 2015, 01:57
Jan 7, 2015, 01:57
 Kxmode

Fion wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 14:30:
Oh and as a GM personally I wouldn't make you roll, instead I'd ask how many drinks you've had and compare it to your constitution modifier. Unless of course you've been drinking dwarven ale. Then you earn a drunkenness achievement.

Would Zima lower my HP?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 6, 2015, 14:30
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 6, 2015, 14:30
Jan 6, 2015, 14:30

Kxmode wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 22:30:

That's wonderful that you know about it. Posting it on Blues News will make it known to more gamers especially those who have yet to try pen and paper gaming. I know some of you are burnt out on MMOs. Why not try an "old school MMO"?

Plus you can ask the DM to roll the die to see if you're getting drunk! Drunk2

You are of course correct. As always with PnP gaming, the more the merrier.

Oh and as a GM personally I wouldn't make you roll, instead I'd ask how many drinks you've had and compare it to your constitution modifier. Unless of course you've been drinking dwarven ale. Then you earn a drunkenness achievement.

Jan 6, 2015, 09:33
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 6, 2015, 09:33
Jan 6, 2015, 09:33

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 02:01:
Pretty cool, but the whole tiered free and premium crap leaves me cold. Just sell a complete damn product already. I'd still rather have a proper new NWN however, sigh.

You want some apples for those oranges? NWN is nothing at all like this, that's like saying "Well that's a nice boat but I want an airplane". This is a virtual table top for people to run games, the tiered product is so players can get the product without having to play and the GM can use the product.

Also it's basically in infinite trial period. My GM in Australia was running a game with people in North America and the UK for years didn't pay. I paid for the service because I wanted access to the locked out features like line of sight and lighting but if you are playing a role playing game like D&D none of that is even needed. The product is complete, they are just letting people try it out first.

I know you're the local curmudgeon Cutter but try and at least keep it vaguely related. When you pull NWN in to the equation you look like you are pulling at straws to come up with something to complain about.

Oh pleas, when will you trolls stop? Curmudgeon? How? Better go through my post history, scooter, because the positive far outweighs the negative. And I don't start the shit, I respond to it. People want to start fights, that's fine, I'll oblige them. If a game deserves criticism there's nothing surly about calling it as such. Sometimes, you just have to call a spade a spade, chief.

And obviously one of these things is not like the other. How long did it take for you to figure that out, sport? If you had half a brain, you'd understand what it was I was actually saying. I was PnPing before you were an accident in your mom.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/curmudgeon

That seems to sum it up quite nicely.

I may have you beat on PnP playing, as I started in 1976 with the white box set of D&D rules when I was 12.

Back on topic, this is pretty cool and would definitely be useful if our group dispersed across the globe.

Jan 6, 2015, 03:36
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 6, 2015, 03:36
Jan 6, 2015, 03:36

Yees...?

Roll20 has been around for a while now. I run a campaign with friends there and its really great.

Suddenly our game can continue just fine even if players move away, thanks to skype and roll20!

Jan 6, 2015, 02:01
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 6, 2015, 02:01
Jan 6, 2015, 02:01

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jan 5, 2015, 22:37
nin

Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 5, 2015, 22:37
Jan 5, 2015, 22:37
 nin

Considering it's the first mention of it here (according to Blue's search), I don't see what the problem is.

Jan 5, 2015, 22:30
Kxmode

Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 5, 2015, 22:30
Jan 5, 2015, 22:30
 Kxmode

Fion wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 19:00:
Why is this on Bluesnews? It's been available for like 2+ years now.

I heard about the site from a coworker today and thought it was definitely worth sending to Blue. There's more than a few of you who are current or former pen-and-paper gamers.

Fion wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 19:00:
Why is this on Bluesnews? I've been using it since it came out, most of that time without subscribing.

That's wonderful that you know about it. Posting it on Blues News will make it known to more gamers especially those who have yet to try pen and paper gaming. I know some of you are burnt out on MMOs. Why not try an "old school MMO"?

Plus you can ask the DM to roll the die to see if you're getting drunk! Drunk2
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 5, 2015, 21:39
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 5, 2015, 21:39
Jan 5, 2015, 21:39

Jan 5, 2015, 19:00
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 5, 2015, 19:00
Jan 5, 2015, 19:00

Why is this on Bluesnews? It's been available for like 2+ years now.

Most of the features are free. I've been using it since it came out, most of that time without subscribing. They update it regularly with new features (most of them free) and these days I do subscribe. It gets you a few nifty GM features like dynamic shadows and significantly more storage space for all your art assets, but I mostly subscribe because I like what they do and hope they keep doing it. The highest 'tier' lets you use their API to make content. Most the money they make is on the market that sells adventures, custom tokens, battlemaps, etc.

For those who love to play Pen & Paper RPGs but your group is to spread out to get together more than a few times a year, it's a fantastic and very user friendly resource. The more we can get on there the more fun to be had by all. Check out the subreddit r/roll20 or r/LFG.

Jan 5, 2015, 18:01
Re: Roll20 Virtual Tabletop Jan 5, 2015, 18:01
Jan 5, 2015, 18:01

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older