Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Tech Bits

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 1, 2015, 16:21 Agent.X7

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 20:24:
I really like the monitor, gonna keep an eye out for pricing

$1799 MSRP

Newegg has the current LG IPS model, 34" curved screen at $1292.99, so this isn't going to show up much cheaper than MSRP.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 20:24 LiTh

I really like the monitor, gonna keep an eye out for pricing  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 17:32 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 16:19:
ForgedReality wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 13:33:
LG, if it were tailor-made for gamers, IT WOULDN'T BE FUCKING CURVED! >:\

Not sure why you'd say that. If there were ever an application where curved monitors made sense, it's gaming, since there's only one person using it and they can sit at the perfect viewing angle without concern for others. Curved TVs make much less sense since TV is often a group activity.

Yeah, 3 of those for something like ED would kick ass.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 17:22 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 16:19:
Not sure why you'd say that. If there were ever an application where curved monitors made sense, it's gaming, since there's only one person using it and they can sit at the perfect viewing angle without concern for others. Curved TVs make much less sense since TV is often a group activity.

I'd for sure be looking more seriously at 21:9 if VR wasn't on the horizon. Not sure the purpose of a curved monitor though, even though I'm close to the screen, I'm not in the curve part of it, if I was, I'd get why. But it would still be all in front of me and then I don't understand. Have to see one in action and yes, be priced to sell.

12. Re: Google got it wrong. The open-office trend is destroying the workplace. Dec 31, 2014, 17:14 HorrorScope

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 10:06:
A screaming baby on a long flight is about the only thing that tops it. Both evoke a murderous desire within me.

This is the one that gets me. Is it really a problem? Don't you and like everyone these days take a headset? Totally makes whatever anyone else does volume wise "out of the equation". Let cell phones on flights and talk the whole time, I'm in my little world.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 16:19 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 13:33:

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 15:42 Agent.X7

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 13:24:
That curved monitor looks pretty sweet. I'm looking to get a 21:9 monitor. I want IPS, 120 MHz refresh rate, and at least 1440P. Right now, the only one I found is $1000. So gotta wait for prices to come down a lot. Hopefully other companies will jump on the bandwagon.

Yup, that LG monitor is rocking. Unfortunately, AMD tech and $1799 msrp. I mean, my 55" LG LED, passive 3D TV cost a LOT less than that. ANd the AMD tech is sure to snub NVidia cards.

I have a 21:9 Dell Ultrasharp monitor that I love. 29" and 2560x1080. Battlefield 4, GW2, and WoW are native and they rock. The bad is that a lot of games don't support ultrawide resolutions. They say they do, but then the menus are all messed up or off the damn screen, or the HUD is in the center of the screen and not on the sides, etc. Diablo III doesn't support this res, but you can simply play it in a full screen window and it works.

As far as curved screens for gaming: Have you even tried it? One of our local warehouse stores has one set up with a PS4. Awesome.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 13:33 ForgedReality

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 13:30 Beamer

When I entered this office, we had 2 rows of 5 cubes, with the two cubes at the end being bigger than the the others. The cubes were probably about 7x4, or maybe 8x5, I'm bad at estimating, but ideal. It was like taking a shoebox in portrait and dividing it in half, then each half into 5 cubes. We had privacy and we had room.

They then switched us to high density seating. I feared we'd be like the developers, who basically sit in a large room with zero privacy. They really failed at making good use of this space. I ended up with my back to a wall, so I like it. Others have their backs to other backs. There are some low walls so you're not staring anyone in the face, but we're all kind of staring at backs or faces somewhere. The guy closest to me is 3.5 feet away. I see his monitor at all times. We went from 10 people to 15 people in the space.

But we like it. We're a loud, sarcastic group loudly and sarcastically mocking each other nonstop. I am a bit more concerned about my screen privacy, and I have it with where I sit.

We're moving to a new building in June, though. If I'm still with this team, I'll be shifting to call center style cubes. We're not ecstatic, because it will be less social. The head of the division thinks this is best, because we have to do negotiations via phone. But here's the thing - we don't do it often. Our roots are as a tech company, and we're all young (I'm the oldest.) We do 99% of our negotiations via email. In fact, we tend to go to the phone when we want to avoid a paper trail, so we tend to do worse things via phone than via email.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 13:24 jdreyer

That curved monitor looks pretty sweet. I'm looking to get a 21:9 monitor. I want IPS, 120 MHz refresh rate, and at least 1440P. Right now, the only one I found is $1000. So gotta wait for prices to come down a lot. Hopefully other companies will jump on the bandwagon.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 13:20 jdreyer

Our office is moving to a hybrid approach. The walls will come down only between a group of six people working together on the same project. We trialed it this year, and my guys who were involved gave good feedback. It was much easier to keep everyone involved and focused on the same project, and it facilitated agile development. Not sure if it works for other industries (I'm in software development) but it works for us. Due to the lack of privacy, if my guys need to work a day from home I let them no questions asked. They usually do a couple days a month from home on average.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 12:13 Cutter

Yeah, lack of privacy just doesn't work. Cubicles are a better way to go for the masses. Just get the ones with the windows on top to open things up a bit.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 11:19 HorrorScope

Article is too slanted though for a boss to read and see it nothing more then they want to be left alone. Open Office bad, working at home best. Sure I love working at home it's like 1/2 work. So they hate the most intrusive and love the least intrusive, surprise. I like more money than less money as well. News at 11.

That said, I never worked in a setup like described, I've walked through a few, yes not my personal choice, but again see above. Duh.

3. Re: Into the Black Dec 31, 2014, 10:48 NegaDeath

I hate the open concept. At my business it means conversations inevitably involve everyone in earshot like a stealth meeting at random intervals. Hard to focus on shit when people are asking you questions from different directions all day. I miss my office. It had a door. That closed. With a lock. Serenity now!
This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2015, 01:32.

2. Re: Google got it wrong. The open-office trend is destroying the workplace. Dec 31, 2014, 10:18 Task

Google is usually wrong in some cases of spreading trends.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

1. Google got it wrong. The open-office trend is destroying the workplace. Dec 31, 2014, 10:06 Burrito of Peace

To a large part, I agree. To me, there is little more aggravating than a coworker who cannot shut the fuck up when I am trying to work. A screaming baby on a long flight is about the only thing that tops it. Both evoke a murderous desire within me. Work is just that, work. You are getting paid to show up, perform a role or task, and then leave. It's not Facebook: The Meat Bag Edition. I don't give a fuck about your kids, your boat, your dogs, your sick Aunt Ethel or what have you. I doubly don't give a fuck when you come over and start yapping about it, completely oblivious to the fact that I have on headphones. At a previous job, I once asked someone "Do you randomly show up at your friends' homes, bang on their doors and, when they open them, start nattering on about the most inconsequential shit in your life? No? Then why do it here? Especially to someone you don't really know. Isn't there a TPS cover sheet you could be designing?"

Sadly, the TPS joke flew right over their heads but, six months later, enough people had had enough of the distractions that we all got our offices and 6 foot tall cubes back.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo