Talos Principle Punishes Pirates

NeoGAF has word on a post that has since been deleted from the Steam forums for The Talos Principle, indicating the game has an interesting approach to piracy. According to the report, players using illegal copies of Croteam's first-person puzzle game will end up stuck in an elevator forever, which is not Croteam's first such effort at messing with stolen copies of their games. There's apparently even a QR code on the elevator wall with a hint about what's going on, but no word if they are sadistic enough to include Muzak. Thanks PCGamesN.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
Dec 29, 2014, 19:37
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 19:37
Dec 29, 2014, 19:37

Yet another foolish DRM scheme that will no doubt end up only hampering legitimate users in the end. Any cracker groups will disable this pretty quickly, now that it's public knowledge.

Don't take this as encouragement of piracy; I buy all my games, albeit usually on sale somewhere.

This reminds me of several past games that purposely crippled their software as a form of DRM, ala Titan Quest, that ended up mostly affecting people who actually bought the game.

Anybody who buys this game, and through bad luck of buggy coding, hardware issues, you name it, that experiences the Elevator DRM is going to have a major uphill battle getting these Croteam fools to fix it.

History repeats itself... again!

*EDIT* Grammar.

Dec 29, 2014, 18:48
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 18:48
Dec 29, 2014, 18:48

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 15:25:
Aww, I was hoping it was some sort of dominatrix punishment. Oh yeah, getting their little asses spanked would be so hot!

Oh wait, I hope I didn't just think that out loud right now.

Of course not. No one noticed anything strange... Shifty

Dec 29, 2014, 17:21
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 17:21
Dec 29, 2014, 17:21

Kevin Lowe wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 15:53:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 15:14:
The best way to address piracy is to give people value. Steam is a perfect example of this. When it first came out, people hated it (and deservedly so). However, over time, Valve improved and expanded it and now most people love it. Speaking anecdotally, I know I and others stopped pirating games because getting them on Steam was more appealing. That's how you address piracy. Create value, don't remove it.

They created a PC exclusive (for now), priced it well below the usual $60 mark, put it on Steam, knocked an extra 10% off, had a free test version....

How many more boxes do they have to check off before they no longer deserve to have their work pirated? Where's the fucking line?

Oh, I don't know... maybe not intentionally put a game-breaking bug into their own game?

I'm not saying that the Talos Principle deserves to be pirated. That would be stupid. Nothing "deserves" anything. I'm simply stating that it doesn't make sense to intentionally break your own game. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Still, you have to admit that it's pretty funny when people pirate the game, then post on the developer forum with their issue. It exposes the assholishness in people: not only do they pirate the game, then they have the gall to expect the devs to support them.

Except this has been happening since the dawn of time. It's not news to anyone. People are stupid. Surprise! Oh wait, that's not surprising at all.

All this accomplishes is increasing the number of complaints on the forums, which in turn makes the game look worse. There comes a point where you need to separate your ego from your business decisions. Intentionally breaking your own game for some brief lulz? Bad for business.

Dec 29, 2014, 17:13
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 17:13
Dec 29, 2014, 17:13

They created a PC exclusive (for now), priced it well below the usual $60 mark, put it on Steam, knocked an extra 10% off, had a free test version....

How many more boxes do they have to check off before they no longer deserve to have their work pirated? Where's the fucking line?

Yup, this is why we can't have nice things. It's no surprise that EA and Blizzard try to shoehorn in ODRM into single player games.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Dec 29, 2014, 17:10
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 17:10
Dec 29, 2014, 17:10

Intentionally breaking your own game seems short-sighted. You're not going to convert any pirates into buyers that way. In fact, you're likely to make them never want to buy anything you make. Pirates will encounter your game-breaking "bug," think your game is a broken piece of crap, then share this opinion with others. First impressions matter and by the time you clarify that the "bug" was intentional, it's already too late. You also run the risk of breaking the game for legitimate customers. I'm pretty sure that happened with Titan Quest. And for what? Momentarily annoying pirates? It doesn't take long at all for a proper crackfix to be released and for the "bug" to be resolved.

The best way to address piracy is to give people value. Steam is a perfect example of this. When it first came out, people hated it (and deservedly so). However, over time, Valve improved and expanded it and now most people love it. Speaking anecdotally, I know I and others stopped pirating games because getting them on Steam was more appealing. That's how you address piracy. Create value, don't remove it.

Still, you have to admit that it's pretty funny when people pirate the game, then post on the developer forum with their issue. It exposes the assholishness in people: not only do they pirate the game, then they have the gall to expect the devs to support them.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Dec 29, 2014, 17:02
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 17:02
Dec 29, 2014, 17:02

Is the game available digitally? Can the 0s and 1s be replicated? Yes? There's your line.

I no longer assume the presence of concepts such as "ethics" and "morality" given that they are, by nature, personal and cultural and therefore not universal.

Given the ubiquitous abundance of relatively inexpensive offerings by platforms such as Steam, Amazon and GOG, I no longer pirate games, most music or ebooks. However, I will readily admit that there are things I do pirate because they are, quite simply, just not available in my country and there isn't a way to import them. If I can flip the artist money directly, I do, because it's in my best interest to support them. They are making something I enjoy and I want them to continue making that something I enjoy.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Dec 29, 2014, 15:53
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 15:53
Dec 29, 2014, 15:53

This comment was edited on Dec 29, 2014, 16:01.

Dec 29, 2014, 15:26
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 15:26
Dec 29, 2014, 15:26

Intentionally breaking your own game seems short-sighted. You're not going to convert any pirates into buyers that way. In fact, you're likely to make them never want to buy anything you make. Pirates will encounter your game-breaking "bug," think your game is a broken piece of crap,

I had original Settlers 4 and it still made pigs from smith or whatever. It was broken piece of crap.

I never bought settlers game since then.

Dec 29, 2014, 15:25
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 15:25
Dec 29, 2014, 15:25

Aww, I was hoping it was some sort of dominatrix punishment. Oh yeah, getting their little asses spanked would be so hot!

Oh wait, I hope I didn't just think that out loud right now.
"She's such a groovy lady. She makes my heart go hi-dee hey-dee. She is the chick I spend my nights dreaming of...."

Dec 29, 2014, 15:14
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 15:14
Dec 29, 2014, 15:14

Intentionally breaking your own game seems short-sighted. You're not going to convert any pirates into buyers that way. In fact, you're likely to make them never want to buy anything you make. Pirates will encounter your game-breaking "bug," think your game is a broken piece of crap, then share this opinion with others. First impressions matter and by the time you clarify that the "bug" was intentional, it's already too late. You also run the risk of breaking the game for legitimate customers. I'm pretty sure that happened with Titan Quest. And for what? Momentarily annoying pirates? It doesn't take long at all for a proper crackfix to be released and for the "bug" to be resolved.

Dec 29, 2014, 15:02
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 15:02
Dec 29, 2014, 15:02

Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 13:08:
Why not, instead of locking them in an elevator, just uninstall the game at that point?

Still, the more they fuck with pirates, the better.

Fight fire with fire doesn't work in modern world and you sound like you're really fucking butt hurt over some pirates.

Piracy is unstoppable. Deal with it or remain a butt hurt princess.

Dec 29, 2014, 14:53
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 14:53
Dec 29, 2014, 14:53

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 13:27:
Although, I'm not sure who would pirate this game. It wasn't even on my list of watched games. But I guess there are hoarders out there who pirate anything they can just because...
It was definitely on my watch list. I've got a lot of respect for Croteam from the Serious Sam games, and this one is doing pretty well in the reviews.

...Though with as cheap as games are these days, who still pirates?

...probably cheapskate hoarders. Regular hoarders like me just follow Steam sales

Dec 29, 2014, 14:42
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 14:42
Dec 29, 2014, 14:42

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 13:27:

Although, I'm not sure who would pirate this game. It wasn't even on my list of watched games. But I guess there are hoarders out there who pirate anything they can just because...

I think this game looks unique and cool. I've got it on my wish list and plan on picking it up in a few months once I've got the unplayed queue down a bit.

Dec 29, 2014, 14:41
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 14:41
Dec 29, 2014, 14:41

Icewind wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 14:05:

So in the end, Croteam accomplished nothing.

Except to raise awareness that people pirate. And to provide a less than seamless experience for pirates, even if for a limited time.

Dec 29, 2014, 14:05
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 14:05
Dec 29, 2014, 14:05

Old news, it was circumvented. I was on [a board that shall remain nameless] and users already posted a cheat that lets you clip through the elevator, thus negating the anti-piracy lock. Pirates on this board were posting playthroughs of it where they did just that.

So in the end, Croteam accomplished nothing.

Dec 29, 2014, 13:27
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 13:27
Dec 29, 2014, 13:27

It's already cracked, guaranteed.

Dec 29, 2014, 13:08
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 13:08
Dec 29, 2014, 13:08

Why not, instead of locking them in an elevator, just uninstall the game at that point?

Still, the more they fuck with pirates, the better.

Dec 29, 2014, 12:44
NKD
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 12:44
Dec 29, 2014, 12:44
NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 12:25:
And all this does is waste dev time, because if pirates gonna pirate, they gonna pirate no matter what.

Don't develop features for pirates, develop features for customers.

Calling this a "feature" is a bit of a stretch, considering it probably took 15 minutes to implement.

Dec 29, 2014, 12:31
JSP
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 12:31
Dec 29, 2014, 12:31
JSP

Not much of a feature per se, just a function to not trigger the elevator door to open. The customer gets the 'feature' of elevator door that opens to continue the game.

Dec 29, 2014, 12:25
Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 12:25
Dec 29, 2014, 12:25

Bradley wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 11:39:
Overon wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 09:33:
The game has to detect that are you are using some pirated software. Why wouldn't people who bypass copy protection bypass this too?

In order to bypass it you have to know it exists. It's easy to know that there is DRM when a game refuses to run, but introduce subtle things like this and the odds are that the people trying to remove the DRM will miss it. If you can introduce enough subtle little checks like this then you've managed to protect your game for just a bit longer.

And all this does is waste dev time, because if pirates gonna pirate, they gonna pirate no matter what.

Don't develop features for pirates, develop features for customers.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older