GSC Game World Back in Business

A Q&A on GamesIndustry.biz we missed last week talks to Valentine Yeltyshev, who informs them that GSC Game World is back in operation, following a period where the Ukrainian developer was closed (thanks GameSpot). They learn the story behind the studios fall and rise, and get word that they are working on an "old-fashioned, full price game," though they don't offer any details on what it is about. They get the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developer's take on West Games' claim to a pedigree from the original game:
"I don't really know enough about them, but the story is quite funny. These guys were basically promoting themselves as being the STALKER team, that they were working on STALKER, but that's not true. When we were working on STALKER 2, we were also planning on releasing a browser game based on STALKER so we could keep the audience engaged until released.

"That project was never finished. There were mistakes. But the guys at West Games, that was the STALKER project they were working on - a flash game. So when they promoted themselves as having worked on STALKER, I was quite surprised. We would definitely win the legal action against them, but we won't start it. They used a lot of the ideas from STALKER... I don't know what they were thinking, starting that. I haven't heard from them for quite a while."
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: GSC Game World Back in Business
Dec 22, 2014, 07:50
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 22, 2014, 07:50
Dec 22, 2014, 07:50

BTW if any of you fan could do a search on your HD for a specific file, I need it to resolve a crash occuring with my latest save. See here.

Dec 22, 2014, 05:56
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 22, 2014, 05:56
Dec 22, 2014, 05:56

NetHead wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 21:39:
There's no shortage of Stalker fans who don't like the "Complete" mods, though I think they're well worth it and a solid accomplishment.

Still having said that it's nothing compared to Misery, which is an overhaul. Some of the guys in this thread going on about recoil and bleeding would probably wet their pants with joy and dread in Misery.

I'm sure the mods got better and more complex as time went on--but how many years after STALKER was released did Misery come out? Redux was released not long after the actual game was--so comparing the features it had then to the features a mod might have now somewhat misses the point--it's like saying "Doom was nothing! Look how many features Destiny has!"

Ludomancer wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 02:22:
I've played (through the entire game each time) Oblivion Lost, Lost Alpha, Complete and Redux. Hilarious there are so many die-hards for one or the other on here. They all have their strong points, and just show how amazing Stalker was to begin with.

Couldn't agree more and this thread has inspired me to try some of those I missed, like Complete and Misery. (Didn't care for Lost Alpha though).
"Supreme Uncontested Dear Leader for Life and Chief Justice for the Social Justice Warriors©--beeeeeeyotch!"

Dec 22, 2014, 02:22
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 22, 2014, 02:22
Dec 22, 2014, 02:22

I've played (through the entire game each time) Oblivion Lost, Lost Alpha, Complete and Redux. Hilarious there are so many die-hards for one or the other on here. They all have their strong points, and just show how amazing Stalker was to begin with.

There was one overhaul mod that I lost track of which gave me my personal, fondest memory. It was one where a blow-out occurred every 15-30 minutes or so. If you were outdoors and could actually survive it by some miracle, the dead would rise from the ground and pursue you by the dozens every time. It was one of the most frightening, atmospheric and riveting gaming experiences of my life. God I love Stalker.

Dec 21, 2014, 23:42
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 23:42
Dec 21, 2014, 23:42

There are plenty of worthwhile mods besides Complete. There's Oblivion Lost which re-implements some of the A-life stuff that was stripped out of the released game. Misery has a lot of fans. Lost Alpha is a really big release, though I haven't played it yet.

Dec 21, 2014, 22:33
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 22:33
Dec 21, 2014, 22:33

Icewind wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 21:15:
beremot wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 19:20:
Icewind wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 19:09:
You mean the Complete mod? There is no Redux mod for Stalker.

Sorry, but in this instance, you are mistaken:

http://www.moddb.com/games/stalker/downloads/redux-102-zrp-105-r10-merge

I remember very clearly, because the buzz around STALKER had been going for--it felt like years since the first screenshots were released. And then it finally came out and it was good but Redux made it excellent.

Redux by itself was the single best mod I have ever used. The attention those guys put into nailing every single thing they could in terms of accuracy ... just amazing.

If you haven't tried the first STALKER with Redux, I strongly urge you to.

EDIT: Actually, double checking that link, I'm not sure that's the right mod ... It is called "Redux" and it is for the first STALKER, but I don't recognize the name of the person who uploaded it and is apparently claiming it as theirs ... The Redux I played was put together by a team of people, had its own webpage, forum, etc.

Thanks, but no thanks. There is only one Stalker mod, and that's the "complete" one. It's regarded as the single most important addition to the series and until this day, I've never seen a Stalker fan who used any other mod other than complete. This redux nonsense is new to me.

I highly advise you remove redux and see what you're really missing:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Hold up there, sonny. You might not want to come out 'guns-a-blazin' every time, considering you just shot yourself in the foot the LAST time ("There is no Redux mod for STALKER.")

Just because you don't know about a thing, doesn't make it "nonsense."

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2014, 22:42.
"Supreme Uncontested Dear Leader for Life and Chief Justice for the Social Justice Warriors©--beeeeeeyotch!"

Dec 21, 2014, 21:39
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 21:39
Dec 21, 2014, 21:39

Icewind wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 21:15:

Thanks, but no thanks. There is only one Stalker mod, and that's the "complete" one. It's regarded as the single most important addition to the series and until this day, I've never seen a Stalker fan who used any other mod other than complete. This redux nonsense is new to me...

There's no shortage of Stalker fans who don't like the "Complete" mods, though I think they're well worth it and a solid accomplishment.

Still having said that it's nothing compared to Misery, which is an overhaul. Some of the guys in this thread going on about recoil and bleeding would probably wet their pants with joy and dread in Misery.

Dec 21, 2014, 21:15
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 21:15
Dec 21, 2014, 21:15

beremot wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 19:20:

I remember very clearly, because the buzz around STALKER had been going for--it felt like years since the first screenshots were released. And then it finally came out and it was good but Redux made it excellent.

Redux by itself was the single best mod I have ever used. The attention those guys put into nailing every single thing they could in terms of accuracy ... just amazing.

EDIT: Actually, double checking that link, I'm not sure that's the right mod ... It is called "Redux" and it is for the first STALKER, but I don't recognize the name of the person who uploaded it and is apparently claiming it as theirs ... The Redux I played was put together by a team of people, had its own webpage, forum, etc.

Thanks, but no thanks. There is only one Stalker mod, and that's the "complete" one. It's regarded as the single most important addition to the series and until this day, I've never seen a Stalker fan who used any other mod other than complete. This redux nonsense is new to me.

I highly advise you remove redux and see what you're really missing:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Dec 21, 2014, 19:39
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 19:39
Dec 21, 2014, 19:39

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 19:26:
Redux is my favorite mod, as well. It's an extreme realism/difficulty mod that was also adapted for Call of Pripyat. Although the crazy, over-the-top, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink mods were fun in their own right.

Glad someone else had the same experience I did!

Did the original team of people do the adaptation? If so, then that's all the excuse I need to play Pripyat ... I never got around to it, because by the time I finally finished the first game, I was "STALKER-ed out," so to speak.

There's only one other mod that comes close, in my mind, to Redux, and that is Reality Enhancement, for Crysis. It was made by Solecist, and, if I'm not mistaken, he was on the original Redux team. Better physics, bullet drop, realistic penetration, damage, ragdoll ... that mod had everything.

Dec 21, 2014, 19:26
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 19:26
Dec 21, 2014, 19:26

Redux is my favorite mod, as well. It's an extreme realism/difficulty mod that was also adapted for Call of Pripyat. Although the crazy, over-the-top, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink mods were fun in their own right.

Dec 21, 2014, 19:20
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 19:20
Dec 21, 2014, 19:20

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2014, 19:27.

Dec 21, 2014, 19:09
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 19:09
Dec 21, 2014, 19:09

beremot wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 19:01:
The first STALKER with the Redux mod ... Some the BEST tactical shooting I've ever experienced, bar none. And that was just the A.I.. Loved how you could shoot an enemy but not kill them, only to have them bleed out about 30 seconds later. Same thing could happen to you as well. The gun battle in the brick farm house ... Ah, memories. Great, great game.

PS: If this isn't the nail in the coffin for West Games, I don't know what will be.

But yeah, with Complete the handgun becomes a one shot kill weapon if you get them square in the head. Really amazing gun play. The only thing I've seen that compares is Metro 2033/Last light Redux where the heft and recoil are perfectly implemented. Guns feel so right in those games.

They spoiled me when it comes to FPSs.

Dec 21, 2014, 19:01
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 19:01
Dec 21, 2014, 19:01

The first STALKER with the Redux mod ... Some the BEST tactical shooting I've ever experienced, bar none. And that was just the A.I.. Loved how you could shoot an enemy but not kill them, only to have them bleed out about 30 seconds later. Same thing could happen to you as well. The gun battle in the brick farm house ... Ah, memories. Great, great game.

PS: If this isn't the nail in the coffin for West Games, I don't know what will be.

Dec 21, 2014, 17:23
Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 17:23
Dec 21, 2014, 17:23

We would definitely win the legal action against them, but we won't start it

There's no reason to, as West End Games has zero desire to actually make a game. They only want to steal money and run.

Dec 21, 2014, 16:59
Cutter

Re: GSC Game World Back in Business Dec 21, 2014, 16:59
Dec 21, 2014, 16:59
 Cutter

No point in wasting money they won't recoup.
"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older