Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month

Harebrained Schemes announces on their Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter page that they will return to the crowdfunding platform next year with the proposal for another Shadowrun game. That's all there is to know about this for now, the update simply says "Shadowrun returns to Kickstarter January 2015," and there's an accompanying graphic that essentially says the same thing, leading to a forum discussion of what setting fans would like to see for the next installment in the cyberpunk RPG series.
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 30, 2014, 22:37 Overon

Is this going to be the same engine as Shodowrun Returns?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 18, 2014, 03:37 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 01:00:
GL1zdA wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 03:58:
The important fact is the first game allowed them to further develop and expand the game. I think this is what matters - to have a stable platform they could improve (not build another one from scratch) and spend most of their resources on content.

If they want to develop another campaign through Kickstarter I will definitely back the project.

I agree, it's just sad they stopped asking for money after the kickstarter. I didn't even hear about the kickstarter until long after it finished. People just assume that if you do a kickstarter people will know, they shouldn't. Advertising matters. I missed a cubic ass tonne of kickstarters I would have loved to know about.

Game developers really have a hard time getting shit out there and keeping it permanent. If anything I don't know why the guys behind kickstarter just don't do permanent crowdfunding campaign that allows people to give money after the kickstarter is done. Love or hate Star citizen but Chris roberts really showed us that you got to put effort into your fundraising if you want it to continue. No one would have expected that level of funding. I think many game devs are not really trying all that hard. It can't take a genius to setup your own crowdfunding site.

Most developers still accept PayPal donations after their Kickstarters end.

19. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 18, 2014, 01:00 Suppa7

GL1zdA wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 03:58:
The important fact is the first game allowed them to further develop and expand the game. I think this is what matters - to have a stable platform they could improve (not build another one from scratch) and spend most of their resources on content.

If they want to develop another campaign through Kickstarter I will definitely back the project.

I agree, it's just sad they stopped asking for money after the kickstarter. I didn't even hear about the kickstarter until long after it finished. People just assume that if you do a kickstarter people will know, they shouldn't. Advertising matters. I missed a cubic ass tonne of kickstarters I would have loved to know about.

Game developers really have a hard time getting shit out there and keeping it permanent. If anything I don't know why the guys behind kickstarter just don't do permanent crowdfunding campaign that allows people to give money after the kickstarter is done. Love or hate Star citizen but Chris roberts really showed us that you got to put effort into your fundraising if you want it to continue. No one would have expected that level of funding. I think many game devs are not really trying all that hard. It can't take a genius to setup your own crowdfunding site.

18. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 17, 2014, 18:22 Overon

Dagnamit wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 08:19:
Overon wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 22:05:
It's finally happening, companies are making a living off of sequential kickstarters. A kickstarter only company.

How is this different than a company seeking normal investors? Sure, the investors don't get equity, but it does leave the creative control in the hands of the devs rather than the moneymen. That's what your money is buying, an uncompromised vision. That's worth paying for imo.
Not very different. I did not mean anyone to infer that what I said was some kind of dig.

17. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 17, 2014, 08:19 Dagnamit

It's finally happening, companies are making a living off of sequential kickstarters. A kickstarter only company.

How is this different than a company seeking normal investors? Sure, the investors don't get equity, but it does leave the creative control in the hands of the devs rather than the moneymen. That's what your money is buying, an uncompromised vision. That's worth paying for imo.

16. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 17, 2014, 03:58 GL1zdA

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 21:49:
Deathhead wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 20:11:
tskiller wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:44:
Umm, why do they need another kickstarter? Didn't they make any money from the first game?

This is a niche game, they may not have sold a lot of copies outside of the kickstarter game, thus the need for more money when developing a new title.

The reality is the first game wasn't all that great and it took until dragonall before you could even customize characters. So the "real game" didn't even get made compared to how Shadowrun is supposed to be.

They made a lot of concessions and it took forever to get shit right.
Actually, I like the way they developed Shadowrun. The first one was a good base - I've liked the story, even if it was generic, I've loved the graphics, combat was OK. I've never had a problem with save games.

15. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 17, 2014, 02:02 jdreyer

Hardly. I'm sure I'm not the only one that bought Shadowrun off of Steam after it shipped.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 22:47 Task

Shadowrun Returns 2

I so wish Weisman and friends had the MW license back though

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2014, 22:53.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

13. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 22:08 Wowbagger_TIP

I thought the DMS campaign was OK, and Dragonfall was great, so I don't regret supporting the original Kickstarter at all. I'll be in for this one too most likely. Anxious to hear what they're planning.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 22:05 Overon

11. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 21:49 Suppa7

Deathhead wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 20:11:
Umm, why do they need another kickstarter? Didn't they make any money from the first game?

This is a niche game, they may not have sold a lot of copies outside of the kickstarter game, thus the need for more money when developing a new title.

The reality is the first game wasn't all that great and it took until dragonall before you could even customize characters. So the "real game" didn't even get made compared to how Shadowrun is supposed to be.

They made a lot of concessions and it took forever to get shit right.

10. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 21:46 Creston

walrus1 wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:53:
Yep, I wondered this too. I guess horkers and blow ain't cheap/

It always cost quite a few septims to buy a horker in Winterhold...

9. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 21:45 Creston

I'll be in for 50. I thought the original was fun, that Dragonfall was fantastic, and the Dragonfall Director's Cut was incredible. More Shadowrun? Yes, please.

8. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 21:42 Cutter

They can fund it themselves, so pass. And while Dragonfall was effing good, the original campaign sucked. And I'm still not a fan of the stylized art so Ima take a wait and see on it anyway.

7. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 20:53 panbient

But did they make enough money to cover the initial cost of developing the first game AND enough to make Dragonfall AND to make a whole other one?

Probably not.

Plus this allows fans to purchase at the level they want. I always did regret not investing in the initial game to force them to make Dr. Dave's Discount Doc-Wagon NPC (the discount only applies if you name your main character Dave).

6. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 20:11 Deathhead

5. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 20:02 Flatline

walrus1 wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:53:

Well they're developing a miniatures combat game that uses computers or something like that. Which IMHO is a huge risk for such a small company, especially since it's a new IP.

So I'd imagine a lot of their money is tied up in that.

4. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 19:53 walrus1

3. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 19:45 nin

Woot woot - take my money!

2. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 16, 2014, 19:44 tskiller

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >