Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

The Elite: Dangerous forums announce the official release of Elite: Dangerous, as version 1.00 of Frontier Developments' space combat sequel is now available. The game's official website is non-responsive at the moment, but that forum post has some details:
A 30 year legacy, and more than 2 years of development, and we're thrilled to announce that Elite: Dangerous 1.00 is out now, available for download and play.

Thanks to everyone who played this far - see you in space Commanders.

Ed (and the whole of the Elite: Dangerous development team)

https://store.elitedangerous.com/

Change log for those updating from Gamma:

• Prevent missions softlocks when switching servers from A->B->A without disconnecting from A
  • Check if we should use the neutron star's version of the bolometric luminosity first to prevent soft lock
  • Avoid crash in creating a location object when it hits a rare window
  • Sky box view distance altered to reduce memory usage in highly populated regions

View
1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

424. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 19:53 Vall Forran

I was messing around more with that configuration website...and it has stats for shields! Str...which I don't recall ever seeing in-game. You can switch out from 5A to 5B to 3A to whatever and see the actual shield strength. A 5B has an effective shield strength of 127.3, whereas a 5A is 135.53, and a 3C is at 57.27.

Same situation with power distributors, frameshift drives, fuel scoops, etc. My mind is blown atm. Oh yeah, and a class 3 fuel scoop is totally pimp for the Asp. Instead of taking 2 minutes to refuel, it takes 20 seconds.

Edit:
Here's the link again, if you don't want to delve into past posts:
http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com

Edit2:
Gamers never cease to amaze me. Here's the formula someone figured out to calculate shield strength that was implemented in that utility:

Shield Strength (in MJ) = [Ship Shield Rating] * [0.53821 * erf([1.0228] * [Shield Optimal Hull Mass] / [Ship Hull Mass] - 0.66391) - 0.0588 * [Number of Rating Levels Below A] + 0.56377]

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 02:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

423. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 13:15 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 10:36:
Lame. You can not simultaneously discovery scan an unexplored star and run your fuel scoop.

Nor use a heat sink while scooping.

422. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 13:14 Vall Forran

I agree, SpectralMeat, it's lame that the actual important stats for shields don't show up.

You can definitely tell a difference when you swap them out. I had a class 5E shield and that sucker only went down when three people were shooting me. I changed to a 3C and it goes down with 3-4 laser shots now.

If you're going to be fighting, you want the highest class shield you can get. If you are space trucking, you can cheat it down a level or two to get more storage space. Some people outright sell their shields...but I'm nowhere near that brave.

421. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 10:36 Mr. Tact

Lame. You can not simultaneously discovery scan an unexplored star and run your fuel scoop.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

420. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 10:34 Mr. Tact

Class = Size
Grade = Quality

Weights are not set within a class. A better grade item in the same class might weight more or less.

419. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 08:35 SpectralMeat

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 08:20:
What the difference is between class 1 and 2 or 3.

This from the E:D Manual, bolded some important statements:

Your ship is fitted with a number of modules that provide functionality. Some of these modules are mandatory; your ship would not be space-worthy if they were missing. Others are optional, increasing its capabilities beyond basic flight.
All modules have a class indicating their size, and a rating, indicating their effectiveness.

Class: This is rated from 1 to 8. Size 1 modules are the smallest, size 8 modules are the largest. Each ship has a number of module compartments of varying sizes which can be fitted with modules.
You can fit a module of a smaller class into a compartment.

In general, larger modules are heavier. It is important to take mass into account; the heavier a ship, the more strain is placed on its drives and frame shift drive, reducing their effectiveness.

Ratings: Modules are rated using an alphabet system, where A is most effective overall. Note that this rating is only a guide; some modules feature benefits that are not taken into account by the rating.
Appreciate your help however what I meant was a representation in numbers what the difference is in between shields that are for example:

Size 2 Grade A
Size 3 Grade C

Yes the Size 3 will be heavier but how much more shield does my ship has?
What is the optimal size 2 or 3 for a Cobra for instance, what about the other ships?

That is the type of info that should be on the store or outfitting page so it would be easier to make a decision what to fit onto the ship as opposed to buy something fly out of the station turn on your weapons and the oxygen sensor kicks in fly back dock and buy a different one.

Steam: SpectralMeat

418. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 08:22 Undocumented Alien

Someone on the forums posted this site, which is pretty awesome for configuring ships. It doesn't handle anything greater than a Lakon-7, but I don't think any of us have to worry about that yet.

http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/

Thanks for the link, cool site, nice utility.

417. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 08:20 Undocumented Alien

This from the E:D Manual, bolded some important statements:

Your ship is fitted with a number of modules that provide functionality. Some of these modules are mandatory; your ship would not be space-worthy if they were missing. Others are optional, increasing its capabilities beyond basic flight.
All modules have a class indicating their size, and a rating, indicating their effectiveness.

Class: This is rated from 1 to 8. Size 1 modules are the smallest, size 8 modules are the largest. Each ship has a number of module compartments of varying sizes which can be fitted with modules.
You can fit a module of a smaller class into a compartment.

In general, larger modules are heavier. It is important to take mass into account; the heavier a ship, the more strain is placed on its drives and frame shift drive, reducing their effectiveness.

Ratings: Modules are rated using an alphabet system, where A is most effective overall. Note that this rating is only a guide; some modules feature benefits that are not taken into account by the rating.

416. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 07:24 Mr. Tact

Awesome Vall! I had been wondering if anyone had put a ship configuration tool like that together.  

415. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 7, 2015, 06:46 SpectralMeat

Got a 2B thanks Vall
Wish some of the stats would be shown on the outfitting page. For example shields I have no clue which ones to get for the Cobra.
I don't care about integrity I care about shield stats. I don't understand why this info isn't on there.
Same for the fuel scoop. They should tell us how many units each one scoops up instead of just say the grade and class. That doesn't tell us anything other than the grade A is better than the grade D obviously.

414. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 23:45 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 22:50:
Thanks for the info Vall but it is too late I got a Cobra lol
Got it upgraded fairly well and put 2 beams and 2 chain guns and it rips apart just about everything.
The jumping distance is also much greater than it was on my Viper so I am happy.

One thing however I have to upgrade the fuel scoop I put the cheapest piece of crap I could find as I didn't think it would make a difference but the Cobra apperantly has a much larger fuel tank and it takes ages ro refill, so I am going to get a better one.

Lol, awesome!

Get a class 2 fuel scoop. Doesn't need to be an A rated one (though that will scoop 75 units), a B or C is good. It'll scoop 60 units vs 35. Makes a huge difference. The first time I bought one, I got a class 1A scoop. Was terribly slow for my cobra. I changed it out for a 2B(or C) one and it was like insta-fuel. Ironically, the 2B is cheaper than the 1A. *shrug* I guess a 1A would be pimp for a smaller ship.

Someone on the forums posted this site, which is pretty awesome for configuring ships. It doesn't handle anything greater than a Lakon-7, but I don't think any of us have to worry about that yet.

http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2015, 01:25.

413. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 22:50 SpectralMeat

Thanks for the info Vall but it is too late I got a Cobra lol
Got it upgraded fairly well and put 2 beams and 2 chain guns and it rips apart just about everything.
The jumping distance is also much greater than it was on my Viper so I am happy.

One thing however I have to upgrade the fuel scoop I put the cheapest piece of crap I could find as I didn't think it would make a difference but the Cobra apperantly has a much larger fuel tank and it takes ages ro refill, so I am going to get a better one.

412. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 22:07 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 21:03:
Looking more closely it appears perhaps the class 3-6 are just place holders...

Edit: No, I found class 3 and 4 Fuel Scoops at a station..

Nice, good to know! Thanks!

411. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 21:03 Mr. Tact

Looking more closely it appears perhaps the class 3-6 are just place holders...

Edit: No, I found class 3 and 4 Fuel Scoops at a station..

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2015, 21:41.

410. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 20:38 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 20:28:
According to the Wiki, there are class 1-6 fuel scoops. But I haven't gone looking for them. Thanks for the info.

Wow, I've never noticed one before, though I'd never dream of giving up one of my 3+ class slots for one. Makes sense for the bigger ships, though. Maybe the pythons and anacondas have extra internals to fill...I'm sure gas ain't cheap for them.

409. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 20:28 Mr. Tact

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 19:35:
Class 2 type A will do 75 units, which, I believe is as high as you can go. There's no scoop higher than class 2 that I'm aware of. A class 2 scoop will fill your cobra up really quickly, and they are fairly cheap. I think I bought my class 2 A scoop for around $300k.
According to the Wiki, there are class 1-6 fuel scoops. But I haven't gone looking for them. Thanks for the info.

408. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 20:02 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 18:52:
Yeah I am running rail guns on the Viper which may be my problem.
Maybe I trade it for a Cobra and do an all rail setup I saw Tim did in his video.
Problm is the Cobra needs so much money to get upgraded to my Viper's level it is not even funny and it still feels weak compared to the Viper.

I can sit there being shot at by Asps, Federal Drop ship or even Anaconda and I know I can take them out, in the Cobra a few shots and I gotta run or my ship gets blown into pieces.

Hahaha. I would recommend you keep your Viper, because it's awesome and fun and you love it. Save up and buy a type-6. Use that to do your trading...it doesn't take much $$$ to get the cargo space going. I sold my guns on it to lighten the weight and increase the jump range without having to buy a new frameshift drive.

Most upgrades less than 'A' aren't that expensive (comparatively). The type-6 doesn't take much. I think I upgraded the capacitor to 'A', which is the cheapest of all the upgrades. Then you get ~2 boosts with your engine capacitor full. You can run like brave Sir Robin from Monty Python.

407. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 19:35 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 18:34:
Vall Forran wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 13:29:
So! I tried out bounty hunting using interdiction. It's pretty cool! I sold my fuel scoop because it's too slow with the Asp's ginormous fuel tank and replaced it with the interdictor.
Okay, I was wondering about this. I'm currently running a Hauler doing rare runs to make money (thanks for the suggestions, guys). I was going to upgrade to a Cobra to do some more of it. And I was wondering about getting a fuel scoop. Now the Corba is a "4" ship, with three class 4 and three class 2 internal compartments. Would a class 2 grade A fuel scoop be sufficient -- or would I have to have a class 4 for it to be practical?

Also, been running shieldless -- do shields help against star heat? Is it silly to use a fuel scoop without shields?

Edit: spelling

Shields make absolutely no difference against star heat. Fuel scooping is pretty awesome. Some tips: Don't bother with a class 1 scoop. It does something pathetic, like 35 whatever units max. Class 2 at least will boost you to 60. Class 2 type A will do 75 units, which, I believe is as high as you can go. There's no scoop higher than class 2 that I'm aware of. A class 2 scoop will fill your cobra up really quickly, and they are fairly cheap. I think I bought my class 2 A scoop for around $300k.

406. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 18:52 SpectralMeat

Yeah I am running rail guns on the Viper which may be my problem.
Maybe I trade it for a Cobra and do an all rail setup I saw Tim did in his video.
Problm is the Cobra needs so much money to get upgraded to my Viper's level it is not even funny and it still feels weak compared to the Viper.

I can sit there being shot at by Asps, Federal Drop ship or even Anaconda and I know I can take them out, in the Cobra a few shots and I gotta run or my ship gets blown into pieces.

405. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 6, 2015, 18:34 Mr. Tact

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 13:29:
So! I tried out bounty hunting using interdiction. It's pretty cool! I sold my fuel scoop because it's too slow with the Asp's ginormous fuel tank and replaced it with the interdictor.
Okay, I was wondering about this. I'm currently running a Hauler doing rare runs to make money (thanks for the suggestions, guys). I was going to upgrade to a Cobra to do some more of it. And I was wondering about getting a fuel scoop. Now the Corba is a "4" ship, with three class 4 and three class 2 internal compartments. Would a class 2 grade A fuel scoop be sufficient -- or would I have to have a class 4 for it to be practical?

Also, been running shieldless -- do shields help against star heat? Is it silly to use a fuel scoop without shields?

Edit: spelling

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2015, 18:39.

1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >