Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

The Elite: Dangerous forums announce the official release of Elite: Dangerous, as version 1.00 of Frontier Developments' space combat sequel is now available. The game's official website is non-responsive at the moment, but that forum post has some details:
A 30 year legacy, and more than 2 years of development, and we're thrilled to announce that Elite: Dangerous 1.00 is out now, available for download and play.

Thanks to everyone who played this far - see you in space Commanders.

Ed (and the whole of the Elite: Dangerous development team)

https://store.elitedangerous.com/

Change log for those updating from Gamma:

• Prevent missions softlocks when switching servers from A->B->A without disconnecting from A
  • Check if we should use the neutron star's version of the bolometric luminosity first to prevent soft lock
  • Avoid crash in creating a location object when it hits a rare window
  • Sky box view distance altered to reduce memory usage in highly populated regions

View
1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

844. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 23:00 Vall Forran

I ran into a couple problems with Thudd's website, but not of late. Even the reports more than a day old have still been accurate. It definitely doesn't work in the more remote systems.

Congrats on the Asp! Someone's having some fun tonight!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

843. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 22:20 SpectralMeat

Alright grabbed the Asp. Upgraded it a bit and I am back in the rare trade run.
At least this is profitable.

Steam: SpectralMeat

842. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 21:19 SpectralMeat

First I have t find a good trade route.
The one I was doing got kind of dry.
Trying to use that Thrudds trade tool but I am not getting nearly the profits that tool is reporting.
Making 30k on a 100ton cargo feels like a waste of time.
I might have to get back into the rare trade run. Although I might grab an Asp to have a little fun while doing the trade run

841. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 19:35 Vall Forran

If you want utility, go Asp. (You should do that anyway). It can be equipped to have as much cargo space as a t6, while having SIX guns. It also has the best jump range in the game.

Also sounds like a WWII bomber plane. There is pretty much nothing wrong with that ship... unless you are looking for a trade upgrade.

I really enjoyed the transition from pure t-6 trading to asp trading, but instead of running from interdictions, I destroyed them.

840. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 19:27 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 18:50:
I will look into a T7 upgrade than.
Ugh I hate transport ships. Big dumb flying turds. No fun.

17mill for the ship, shit I'll be grinding for that for like a month straight

Which is why the Clipper is so fun. It's the "middle game" ship. Try to buy it before it's nerfed. It's like a cobra on CRACK. You can trade, fight, even do some exploration if you buy a top of the line f-drive.

But it you can't afford an Asp yet, then that might be a ways off. Trading is kind of boring, but there are fun interludes along the way. Sorry, there's no way I can send you money. But, honestly, I just got up to 12 million dollars again.

839. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 18:50 SpectralMeat

I will look into a T7 upgrade than.
Ugh I hate transport ships. Big dumb flying turds. No fun.

17mill for the ship, shit I'll be grinding for that for like a month straight

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2015, 19:11.

838. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 18:06 Vall Forran

...and to continue that train of thought. The main reason between the t7 and the Clipper is running costs.

The clipper is in every way better. Except, it costs at least $5k per 1% hull damage. It has more cargo space (you have to downgrade your shields, which will up you chances of hull damage). It also has combat capability (you need turreted class 3 weapons). It's also really fast.

The t7 is a big, dumb ship. Imagine a cargo ship from Aliens. That's it. It flies straight, has zero combat ability. It even has less cargo than the clipper. BUT, it is like battlestar galactica. It can take some serious damage to its hull and the repair bill will be less than $10k. I mean $10k for 50% hull damage. A clipper will cost you about $250k for 50% hull damage.

The difference is luxury vs economy. The main thing you need money for is to upgrade cargo bays (duh) and frameshift drives to get you to your desired trade location. *note* You don't need an 'A' drive off the bat. It helps, but you can pretty much get anywhere in the core worlds without an A drive.

837. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 17:28 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 06:45:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 06:14:
Quit bragging Vall!
I can't even afford an Asp yet!
Haha, I was thinking something similar, although I could currently do an Asp. I have enough now that I could upgrade my Type-6 to a Type-7 but I'm considering waiting to be able get the Clipper instead....

I would honestly suggest getting the t-7. You can sell it back when you can afford a Clipper. If you sell your internals and downgrade the mains back to E class, you won't lose much money. Especially since you will automatically gain 200% cargo capacity, thereby cutting your grind in half.

Edit:
The t7 is super cheap to run. Hull repairs are crazy cheap...to the point you can actually run it without shields (not recommended, but you'd gain probably 32t of cargo space). If you get interdicted, you can dump some cargo and be on your way. It isn't much bigger in profile than the t-6, it's just three times longer.

I get the whole idea of wanting to grind money to buy a ship then instantly upgrade it...but it doesn't have to be quite so hard. A standard t7 or clipper is definitely viable for trading.

And, unfortunately, you have to trade to progress. Bounty hunting and exploring are fun, but do not make money.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2015, 17:36.

836. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 12:26 Vall Forran

That sounds awesome, Tooch! I'll have to try that sometime. Let us know how much exploration $$$ you make.  

835. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 12:23 Vall Forran

Quit bragging Vall!

My bad.

834. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 07:59 Undocumented Alien

Yeah I can also buy the Asp right now but that's about all I have.

I'm about 400-500 LY's from my starting area of LHS 3447 in my Asp so far heading towards the Eye of The Galaxy. Haven't seen an Outpost or Station in quite a while, it's very strange. Doing lot's of scanning (where it makes sense of course). It is VERY quiet out there with an occasional NPC Interdiction attempt (if it's a Sidewinder or Eagle I surrender and then kill them).

833. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 06:49 SpectralMeat

Yeah I can also buy the Asp right now but that's about all I have.
I haven't been playing much lately and I was doing some killing instead of trading.
Just got back into trading and I will start doing some missions to break up the monotone trade runs.
I just want to make enough to be able to get an Asp and outfit it well.

832. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 06:45  Mr. Tact 

Quit bragging Vall!
Haha, I was thinking something similar, although I could currently do an Asp. I have enough now that I could upgrade my Type-6 to a Type-7 but I'm considering waiting to be able get the Clipper instead....

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

831. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 06:14 SpectralMeat

Quit bragging Vall!

830. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 2, 2015, 20:58 Vall Forran

Hands down, the Python is the best ship in the game for combat. It's not even close. And it has the trading capacity of the Clipper, minus the shield degradation.

I was flying my Clipper out of a station the other day. Some asshole rammed me out of the way. Player python. As you were, sir.

829. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 2, 2015, 17:45 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 07:57:
I've been working on my reputation lately. I'm up to Viscount in the Empire and finally turned Friendly just before getting there. In the Federation I'm up to Lieutenant, but still Neutral.

Broker for Trade and Trailblazer for exploring without specifically going out and exploring yet..

You're what I'm at. I am only at "competent" on combat. I've been doing minor trading and attacking every USS I can find.

828. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 2, 2015, 13:15 Vall Forran

Thanks for the shadowplay advice. I'll give that a shot.

827. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 2, 2015, 07:57  Mr. Tact 

I've been working on my reputation lately. I'm up to Viscount in the Empire and finally turned Friendly just before getting there. In the Federation I'm up to Lieutenant, but still Neutral.

Broker for Trade and Trailblazer for exploring without specifically going out and exploring yet..

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

826. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 2, 2015, 06:31 SpectralMeat

Re. shadowplay
I have it setup so it's always on and if I hit Alt+F10 it saves the last 10 minutes of gameplay to the hard drive.
Guess it depends on your video card but I doubt it uses a lot of resources to record all the time.
That way you can just play the game and if something cool happens just save it after instead of remembering in the middle of the combat to hit the record button.
Shadowplay is one of the main reason I do not want an AMD video card.

825. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 2, 2015, 03:35 Vall Forran

Goddammit. The Python is pure fucking instant win. I just cannot explain how awesome this ship is. I haven't fought a human player yet...but all the AI is might as well be static meat. I went to a combat zone and literally killed a ship every two seconds. I out killed the spawn rate.

But...FUCK...everything is so expensive. The clipper was cool with it's 242t cargo bay. But it was half as expensive...so upgrades weren't too troublesome. Python is like, upgrade? $16 million please. Oh, upgrade your armor? $56 million. The hell. First world problems, sorry for complaining. I just don't like how you need to trade so much.

After 4 billion trade runs, there should be something else to make money, yes?

I'm thinking I'm going to grind a few more million, then sell my python to get the t9. This game seems really fucking crazy about trading to get 'good' ships. I dunno.

I'm having fun, but the progression curve is spiraling out of control.

1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >