Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

The Elite: Dangerous forums announce the official release of Elite: Dangerous, as version 1.00 of Frontier Developments' space combat sequel is now available. The game's official website is non-responsive at the moment, but that forum post has some details:
A 30 year legacy, and more than 2 years of development, and we're thrilled to announce that Elite: Dangerous 1.00 is out now, available for download and play.

Thanks to everyone who played this far - see you in space Commanders.

Ed (and the whole of the Elite: Dangerous development team)

https://store.elitedangerous.com/

Change log for those updating from Gamma:

• Prevent missions softlocks when switching servers from A->B->A without disconnecting from A
  • Check if we should use the neutron star's version of the bolometric luminosity first to prevent soft lock
  • Avoid crash in creating a location object when it hits a rare window
  • Sky box view distance altered to reduce memory usage in highly populated regions

View
1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

1024. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 19:35 Vall Forran

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 16:06:
Yeah, I tried the Viper first but was annoyed by the power issue, switched to a Cobra. Which I was able to get a shield bank with 11 charges for -- which was a good thing for me.

Eleven charges?! I don't think that exists anymore. I guess you can equip more than one shield bank, but the new update creates a fairly long cooldown along with a huge heat increase (and a HUGE power drain). Granted, I'm space trucking (ie not using shield cells), so feel free to call me out, but it seems that multiple shield cells are not viable anymore.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2015, 19:53.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1023. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 19:24 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 15:23:
I will have to buy a Cobra and play around with the outfitting, I am a bit short on cash atm though so a bit more grinding required.
I only have 1.5 mill plus my Asp

A fully kitted viper is about $3m. Cobra will be about $9m.

1022. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 18:27 Vall Forran

I think I'm going to make a combat Asp with four railguns and two missile launchers. Just because.  

1021. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 17:36 Vall Forran

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 15:19:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 14:44:
Vall Forran wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 14:30:
I'd definitely advise dropping out of super cruise in a nowhere section of space and testing it out.
or just outside the station so you can dock and make adjustments if needed

I gave it a quick test at the Nav Beacon and it did say "Power Limit Exceeded, Modules Disabled" when I deploy the Hard points but it only seems to shut the Cargo Hatch down and I can fight OK, so I guess I should be good to go...

Yup, that sounds about right. It's fairly terrifying, but if you have your priorities set right, it's totally fine.

AFAIK, the viper is the only ship with power problems. I was messing around the edshipyard trying to fuck up a ship's power...the only one that went into the 'red' was an Asp with 4 railguns.

Edit:

Would be cool if they had an arena match mode. I'm pretty sure a viper vs cobra with equal pilot skill...the viper should win every time. Cobra just has too many easily exposed subsystems.

1020. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 17:02 Undocumented Alien

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 16:06:
Yeah, I tried the Viper first but was annoyed by the power issue, switched to a Cobra. Which I was able to get a shield bank with 11 charges for -- which was a good thing for me.

Hmm... might have to try a 'combat' Cobra then. With the Viper, using module priority, it has been acting OK, just shutting off the Cargo Hatch so far, no big issue. But some breathing room might be nice.

1019. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 16:06  Mr. Tact 

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

1018. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 15:23 SpectralMeat

I will have to buy a Cobra and play around with the outfitting, I am a bit short on cash atm though so a bit more grinding required.
I only have 1.5 mill plus my Asp

Steam: SpectralMeat

1017. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 15:19 Undocumented Alien

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 14:44:
I'd definitely advise dropping out of super cruise in a nowhere section of space and testing it out.

I gave it a quick test at the Nav Beacon and it did say "Power Limit Exceeded, Modules Disabled" when I deploy the Hard points but it only seems to shut the Cargo Hatch down and I can fight OK, so I guess I should be good to go...

1016. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 14:44 SpectralMeat

1015. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 14:30 Vall Forran

The way I set mine up was...

Cargo hatch is always off...this saves you 5% right off the bat.

I set the fuel scoop and interdictor to priority 4. I set the warrant scanner to priority 3.

When I deploy weapons, usually those 3 things automatically turn off. If I switch to a firegroup with only the warrant scanner loaded, it will reactivate.

With the shield cell rebalance, it might not even be possible for the viper to use railguns anymore. I have to test that out.

In fact, shield cells might not even be worth it anymore. Will be interesting to see if it's too big a headache.

The first time I pimped out my viper, I didn't know anything about power management. I interdicted an Asp, deployed weapons, then.......brrrrrrrrrr, everything shut down. It was embarrassing. :\

1014. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 14:18 Undocumented Alien

Thanks Vall! Good feedback.

These Vipers have serious power issues. With the best Power Plant (3A) I'm having a hard time with Deployed exceeding Available, right now it's 12.44 to 12.00, will this give me issues or will other components shut down if power is needed (I did set non-life threating components to priority 2)?

1013. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 12:52 Vall Forran

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 12:06:
Hey guys, can you take a quick look at my Viper load out and let me know if it can be improved upon?

CMDR Tooch's Viper

Looks pretty good to me. I might suggest getting a 2B shield cell bank instead of the 2D. You get 5 charges with the B, only 3 with a D. Weirdly, the A class one gets 4. No one knows if the rating actually improves the amount of charge...so far no one has noticed.

The 3C warrant scanner is the one I usually get. Has 3km scan range, which gives you much more leeway to scan fast vipers and cobras. Anything above that is probably unnecessary.

I've never really tried fixed multi-cannons. If I do a fixed weapon it's either pulse lasers or railguns. I'm not a huge fan of burst lasers. I tried them out a few times, but I tend to go either highest class gimballed beam for massive shield damage or fixed pulse for constant sniping damage.

Here's my setup (I haven't flown my viper in awhile...I might tweak it):
Viiiiper

1012. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 12:06 Undocumented Alien

Hey guys, can you take a quick look at my Viper load out and let me know if it can be improved upon?

CMDR Tooch's Viper

1011. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 09:43 SpectralMeat

I am taking a bit of a break from Elite also.  

1010. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 09:17  Mr. Tact 

Been buried in work this week to the point of not having energy leftover for gaming -- over the weekend I was playing D3. It's been my first break from E:D since the beginning of the year. I think I'll get my butt back to populated space when I play again, this weekend if not sooner.  

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

1009. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 08:51 SpectralMeat

Yeah 4 players only.
While the coordinated firepower of a wing will be much increased, the four-pilot limit has been designed to prevent a squadron from owning a system. "It allows multiple wings to be present at any given location and it prevents a single wing from being able to completely dominate through sheer numbers," says Sammarco of the pilot cap. "There’s always room in any star system for more players than any single wing can accommodate, but at the same time, a wing of four still represents a significant increase of capability over a lone vessel provided players cooperate effectively."

I don't get their explanation.
If multiple squads can be formed than they can "own" a system anyways.
Either way this will be a much needed update so we can play cooperatively.
Sounds like those signal source engagements are getting a big boost too. Looking forward to fight in a squad.
I will probably bring a Cobra or Viper also. I just can't afford to loose too many Asps atm.

Those new ships in the third screenshot look pretty sexy too!

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2015, 08:57.

1008. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 18, 2015, 08:36 Undocumented Alien

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 18:36:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 12:50:
By warship you mean something like a Cobra/Viper armed to the teeth
I think those ships have much better cost/damage output ratios than an Asp or Python
The Asp repair bills are no fun

Maybe. But I like the idea of having a big heavy hitter surrounded by smaller ships. I'm saving for an Anaconda (lofty goal, probably not gonna happen), but I might get a Clipper or a Python. I made $20m last night. I just have to hope I don't wear out my trade route, this shit is getting ridiculous to find.

You guys have no idea how strong class 3 weapons are... And you know you want them on your side.

Edit:

Also, if we do get a wing formed, I'd love a crack at commanding. Would be fun to all be on voice. I could take the brunt of the attack, while destroying shields, then order everyone to target the power plant of asshole1. Boooooom!

Yeah, I agree with all of this, it'd be great to have bigger ship even just for some intimidation.

I was thinking about using my Asp for combat but the rebuy cost is around 750K while my Viper is around 100K, so I can die 7x more in my Viper (which could very well happen ) before reaching the cost of losing an Asp, sounds financially correct for my current skills to be in a Viper.

And sure Vall, I'm also onboard with you being the XO for our Wing.

Here is an article about the upcoming Wings update - http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangerous-12-preview-flying-together-with-wings/

Look forward to the update!

EDIT - From the article, "It's called the 'Wings' update, and it will let up to four players group together to patrol the galaxies as a single unit".

Hmm, only 4 players eh? I was hoping for 6-10, but I guess with instances only handling around 20-30 people I guess that might make sense.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2015, 08:44.

1007. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 17, 2015, 19:46 Vall Forran

I take it back about Yembo. Seems the community goal finished. And the participants were rewarded with jack shit...allied rep for that wayward zone. Yay? Sounds like bullshit to me. It's like getting allied with a pacific island. How does that even matter?

Edit: Grammar.

1006. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 17, 2015, 19:31 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 18:41:
I don't think there is in game voice comm at the moment is there?
Oh and I am fine with you "commanding"

I think there actually is. I've never used it though. Honestly, I was thinking more of a teamspeak/vent/mumble situation.

1005. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 17, 2015, 18:41 SpectralMeat

I don't think there is in game voice comm at the moment is there?
Oh and I am fine with you "commanding"

1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >