Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

The Elite: Dangerous forums announce the official release of Elite: Dangerous, as version 1.00 of Frontier Developments' space combat sequel is now available. The game's official website is non-responsive at the moment, but that forum post has some details:
A 30 year legacy, and more than 2 years of development, and we're thrilled to announce that Elite: Dangerous 1.00 is out now, available for download and play.

Thanks to everyone who played this far - see you in space Commanders.

Ed (and the whole of the Elite: Dangerous development team)

https://store.elitedangerous.com/

Change log for those updating from Gamma:

• Prevent missions softlocks when switching servers from A->B->A without disconnecting from A
  • Check if we should use the neutron star's version of the bolometric luminosity first to prevent soft lock
  • Avoid crash in creating a location object when it hits a rare window
  • Sky box view distance altered to reduce memory usage in highly populated regions

View : : :
1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 59.
Newer [  1    45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ] Older

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous
Dec 16, 2014, 11:15
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:15
Dec 16, 2014, 11:15

Arithon wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:13:
There are 20 keys, hardly a gazillion. See here if you're stuck.
Yeah I hope you realize that is not all the functions and options you can map for keys in the options menu, but the essentials right?
If you don't believe me go into controls menu and scroll through the options
Steam: SpectralMeat

Dec 16, 2014, 11:13
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:13
Dec 16, 2014, 11:13

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:26:
InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:12:
Is there any way to enable the mouse in the cocpit menus? I was struggling to bind keys from my joystick, the whole binding system is a horrible mess.

My first mission will be "Find your pre-order Eagle". Apparently its an agile and very lightly armoured fighter, thats music to my ears. So its just like a tie fighter, basically a flying space lazer! PEW PEW!
That's why you need a TrackIR or a Rift. I just look at the menus and they open up then use the buttons on my joystick to navigate them.
There are keys to bind each of the 3 panels if you look under options. There are at least 200 gazillion key binding options from menu navigation to flight controls targeting and all the different functions of your ship like silent running lights cargo door etc etc.
You can not use the mouse to navigate those menus though

A rift would be nice, but Elite doesn't need one. Any more than Team Fortress or Alien: Isolation does.

There are 20 keys, hardly a gazillion. See here if you're stuck.

To look around with the mouse, hold down SHIFT.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dec 16, 2014, 11:11
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:11
Dec 16, 2014, 11:11

Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:50:
So, I'm going to hold off and wait on Star Citizen. I know that game is still a year or more away. but I'm content to wait.

Well, I hope you do realize that Star Citizen with all of the supported control devices and the myriad of features that have been promised is very likely going to be infinitely more complex in the controls customization and setup department than Elite Dangerous. Elite Dangerous is pretty much still far over on the light and easy side of things compared to any real complex (flight/space) sims.
You might want to stick to Call of Duty if this is too challenging for you. Honestly.

Dec 16, 2014, 11:09
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:09
Dec 16, 2014, 11:09

yuastnav wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:04:
Also I'm playing it using Keyboard and Mouse.
I've tried my Thrustmaster but it was too cumbersome and it will take too long to get used to so I just stuck with KBM because it works really well.
I'll probably not going to be able to take on any real players with that, at least not the good ones, but for npcs it's okay. Don't have many problems if it's just one enemy but I'm not sure how well it would go against several enemies even if I used a joystick and was good with it. Certainly not several Cobras (too strong) or Eagles (too agile). Maybe several Sidewinders.
Also give it some time. It literally took me a good 5 or so hours to fly around dock etc to get completely used to the flying and controlling of my ship.
Now I can take on Cobras and multiple enemies at ones in my Sidewinder.
Made over 100,000 credit one night doing pirate hunting missions.
I am using an X55 and TrackIR though not mouse and keyboard. I finally have my setup nailed and everything comes naturally as far as button mapping.

Dec 16, 2014, 11:06
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:06
Dec 16, 2014, 11:06

Is there any way to enable the mouse in the cocpit menus? I was struggling to bind keys from my joystick, the whole binding system is a horrible mess.

My first mission will be "Find your pre-order Eagle". Apparently its an agile and very lightly armoured fighter, thats music to my ears. So its just like a tie fighter, basically a flying space lazer! PEW PEW!

When in game, go to the first shipyard and see where "Stored ship" is located, then go to Galaxy map, find the system and view the system map and it will have a little blue ship icon over the station where it is stored.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dec 16, 2014, 11:05
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:05
Dec 16, 2014, 11:05

By default, you select keys 1-4 to open function windows, then use WASD to move around and use 'Q' to cycle through Tabs, use 'Space Bar' to select menu items.

Here's also a good video for your first 40 minutes or so of how to get started if you weren't in the beta (like me). https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76729

Dec 16, 2014, 11:04
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:04
Dec 16, 2014, 11:04

Also I'm playing it using Keyboard and Mouse.
I've tried my Thrustmaster but it was too cumbersome and it will take too long to get used to so I just stuck with KBM because it works really well.
I'll probably not going to be able to take on any real players with that, at least not the good ones, but for npcs it's okay. Don't have many problems if it's just one enemy but I'm not sure how well it would go against several enemies even if I used a joystick and was good with it. Certainly not several Cobras (too strong) or Eagles (too agile). Maybe several Sidewinders.

Dec 16, 2014, 10:54
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:54
Dec 16, 2014, 10:54

Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:36:
[...] I don't want to wade thought a ton of keyboard options just to paly a flight sim, I want to enjoy it for what it really is and not have to feel like im in some real world BS. [...]

Isn't... isn't that what a [b]SIM[/blation is supposed to be? Isn't it supposed to be more difficult (implicitly, not explicitly) by trying to simulate something in a more realistic manner?

Anyway, Elite Dangerous is not really difficult to play or to control, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
I don't think Elite Dangerous has that many more keys than something like Freespace but then again I have a whole keyboard so I might as well use it, if it makes the game more fun. And it does.
Course I might just point at targets and shoot (that's actually what X Rebirth did and it's very, very sad) or I could have extra keys to cycle through different kinds of targets and different subsystems etc...

Dec 16, 2014, 10:50
Darks

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:50
Dec 16, 2014, 10:50
 Darks

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:39:

That's why you need a TrackIR or a Rift. I just look at the menus and they open up then use the buttons on my joystick to navigate them.
There are keys to bind each of the 3 panels if you look under options. There are at least 200 gazillion key binding options from menu navigation to flight controls targeting and all the different functions of your ship like silent running lights cargo door etc etc.

This I what concerns me about this game. they have gone ape shit overboard making the game way to complicated with controls and to the point of almost forcing you to have a complicated setup to play the game.

This is why I am passing on this game. I am hoping Star Citizen is not going to be the same mess. I don't want to wade thought a ton of keyboard options just to paly a flight sim, I want to enjoy it for what it really is and not have to feel like im in some real world BS. I get a feeling this was done to appease the hard Core players.
Have you played the original game, or any of the previous ones?
You don't need a complicated setup but the option is there if you'd like to control everything.
You can use an xbox controller or a mouse and keyboard to do just about everything.
By the sound of it this game doesn't appeal to you the begin with anyways.
It is nothing like SC

No, the game defiantly appeals to me, and I love open world Space Sims. But from reading what others were saying I was getting concerned about the controls and needing a complicated setup just to play it.

Glad to hear that you can use only the M&K setup.

I really don't have the time to get involved in this game anyway. I've still got 5 or 6 gamers that I'm working on currently and more are coming.

So, I'm going to hold off and wait on Star Citizen. I know that game is still a year or more away. but I'm content to wait.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Dec 16, 2014, 10:39
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:39
Dec 16, 2014, 10:39

This I what concerns me about this game. they have gone ape shit overboard making the game way to complicated with controls and to the point of almost forcing you to have a complicated setup to play the game.

This is why I am passing on this game. I am hoping Star Citizen is not going to be the same mess. I don't want to wade thought a ton of keyboard options just to paly a flight sim, I want to enjoy it for what it really is and not have to feel like im in some real world BS. I get a feeling this was done to appease the hard Core players.
Have you played the original game, or any of the previous ones?
You don't need a complicated setup but the option is there if you'd like to control everything.
You can use an xbox controller or a mouse and keyboard to do just about everything.
By the sound of it this game doesn't appeal to you the begin with anyways.
It is nothing like SC

Dec 16, 2014, 10:38
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:38
Dec 16, 2014, 10:38

Erm everything works off an xbox controller if that's not too complex:

http://imgur.com/xyaLvUw

That said I never use my keyboard in elite - it's was all mapped to my hotas out of the box.

Dec 16, 2014, 10:37
Slick

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:37
Dec 16, 2014, 10:37
 Slick

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:09:
Playing now!!! WoOt! Haven't played a Space Sim in a LONG time, so far just doing basic stuff in the game, Launch, Land, accept some missions, etc, going to take some getting used to.

Went full open world, just diving right in!!! Loved open world PvP in UO, like that the world can be dangerous

If we ever create a 'Blues' Wings (Guild/Corp) I'd love to join in.

If you are in game, my handle is CMDR Tooch, drop me a friend invite.

Game is a blast so far, the Combat Training Tutorial was very helpful.

i'll add ya, ingame name's boomyak. i tried creating a group, but it seems like the group's name is just my name ie. boomyak's group. if anyone wants to name themselves bluesnews and make a group, huzzah! if not uhh, join boomyak group?
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Dec 16, 2014, 10:36
Darks

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:36
Dec 16, 2014, 10:36
 Darks

Dec 16, 2014, 10:33
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:33
Dec 16, 2014, 10:33

You're freagle should be in the system you start in - one of the stations will have a ship icon over it.

BTW forget TrackIR if you're on a budget have a look at this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15316

TrackIR for very cheap as long as you have the most basic soldering skills.

Mouse in cockpit menus doesn't make sense - they're meant to run off a hat switch unless you want some freaky mouse/joystick combo but wouldn't that involve letting go of your joystick to grab you're mouse.

Dec 16, 2014, 10:30
Darks

Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:30
Dec 16, 2014, 10:30
 Darks

Just curious IB since you have had this game for a while why that particular issue was not brought up during beta?

Seems like this is a major issue that should have been addressed long ago.

Dec 16, 2014, 10:26
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:26
Dec 16, 2014, 10:26

You can not use the mouse to navigate those menus though

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2014, 10:33.

Dec 16, 2014, 10:25
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:25
Dec 16, 2014, 10:25

I usually love sandbox games, but there are some that I don't like because they're too empty and aimless. To me so far, it seems like the latter.

Dec 16, 2014, 10:12
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:12
Dec 16, 2014, 10:12

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2014, 10:21.
I have a nifty blue line!

Dec 16, 2014, 10:09
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:09
Dec 16, 2014, 10:09

Playing now!!! WoOt! Haven't played a Space Sim in a LONG time, so far just doing basic stuff in the game, Launch, Land, accept some missions, etc, going to take some getting used to.

Went full open world, just diving right in!!! Loved open world PvP in UO, like that the world can be dangerous

If we ever create a 'Blues' Wings (Guild/Corp) I'd love to join in.

If you are in game, my handle is CMDR Tooch, drop me a friend invite.

Game is a blast so far, the Combat Training Tutorial was very helpful.

Dec 16, 2014, 10:08
Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:08
Dec 16, 2014, 10:08

I'm not sure how I've held out this long, but between this and Dead State, I'm going to be maximizing my video game time over the next few weeks.
Currently playing: ARMA 3 mods and DayZ
1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 59.
Newer [  1    45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ] Older