Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

The Elite: Dangerous forums announce the official release of Elite: Dangerous, as version 1.00 of Frontier Developments' space combat sequel is now available. The game's official website is non-responsive at the moment, but that forum post has some details:
A 30 year legacy, and more than 2 years of development, and we're thrilled to announce that Elite: Dangerous 1.00 is out now, available for download and play.

Thanks to everyone who played this far - see you in space Commanders.

Ed (and the whole of the Elite: Dangerous development team)

https://store.elitedangerous.com/

Change log for those updating from Gamma:

• Prevent missions softlocks when switching servers from A->B->A without disconnecting from A
  • Check if we should use the neutron star's version of the bolometric luminosity first to prevent soft lock
  • Avoid crash in creating a location object when it hits a rare window
  • Sky box view distance altered to reduce memory usage in highly populated regions

View
1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

44. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 13:13 Dala

I am not sure where all the ideas about requiring a complex controller set-up to play the game are coming from. Yes you can use one, but it is in no way required to play. I have used mouse and keyboard exclusively and it works really well.

It is possible that ideas about a complex controller set up being a good idea by have come from people playing the alpha or early beta. Then docking was considerably more difficult to how it is now. They seem to have rewritten the code which controls docking to make it much more lenient to pilot error.

It anyone wants to try grouping up, please add me as a friend. My name is Cmdr Dala.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:52 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:43:
Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:33:
letting go of your joystick to grab you're mouse.

I struggle with this problem every night before bed.
Don't we all?

Steam: SpectralMeat

42. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:49 siapnar

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:26:
That's why you need a TrackIR or a Rift. I just look at the menus and they open up then use the buttons on my joystick to navigate them.
That is super slick

41. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:48 Flatline

Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:28:
Did you even bother to read all of the responses to this thread before you decided to start spouting shit out of your mouth?

Get a clue!

Of course I did. I just wanted to make you feel worse.

40. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:46 Dacron

Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:50:

No, the game defiantly appeals to me, and I love open world Space Sims. But from reading what others were saying I was getting concerned about the controls and needing a complicated setup just to play it.

I play ED with mouse only (keyboard for landing gear and junk if I don't use ships computer). Razer Naga Hex, 8 extra buttons. With those 8 buttons, I can fly adeptly and land at high speeds. No real limitations. There is no need for a complicated set up, it is not a mess and not even remotely complicated for anyone with the slightest clue. As mentioned, SC will have much more complicated schemes.

ED is a great game. Look forward to extra additions. Been arming my cobra, thinking about switching to a viper for bounty hunting.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

39. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:43 jdreyer

Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:33:
letting go of your joystick to grab you're mouse.

I struggle with this problem every night before bed.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

38. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:28 Darks

Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:34:
Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:36:
InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:12:
Is there any way to enable the mouse in the cocpit menus? I was struggling to bind keys from my joystick, the whole binding system is a horrible mess.

My first mission will be "Find your pre-order Eagle". Apparently its an agile and very lightly armoured fighter, thats music to my ears. So its just like a tie fighter, basically a flying space lazer! PEW PEW!
That's why you need a TrackIR or a Rift. I just look at the menus and they open up then use the buttons on my joystick to navigate them.
There are keys to bind each of the 3 panels if you look under options. There are at least 200 gazillion key binding options from menu navigation to flight controls targeting and all the different functions of your ship like silent running lights cargo door etc etc.

This I what concerns me about this game. they have gone ape shit overboard making the game way to complicated with controls and to the point of almost forcing you to have a complicated setup to play the game.

This is why I am passing on this game. I am hoping Star Citizen is not going to be the same mess. I don't want to wade thought a ton of keyboard options just to paly a flight sim, I want to enjoy it for what it really is and not have to feel like im in some real world BS. I get a feeling this was done to appease the hard Core players.

Bullshit.

I have a keyboard and an ancient joystick and I'm doing fine. Stick for roll/pitch/pew pew pew, keyboard for thrust vectors. WSAD for accellerate, pitch left/right, QE for strafe left right, FR for up down. X is bound to automatic 50% thrust so that I can turn off flight assist and instantly get back to maneuvering speed.

That's 90% of my controls. If I want to hit a menu 1-4 are at my left hand, and that's the menus, and you use WSAD to navigate the menus and QE to navigate the pages.

There's like 3 other keys you use frequently: deploy hardpoints (to reign them back in), jump drive, and landing gear. I have target acquisition and flight assist bound to the joystick so no bigs there.

The only difficulty I'm having is that energy redistribution is defaulted to the arrow keys, and I have to let go of the strafe keys to adjust power, but that's only a minor setback.

That's like what, 12 keys total?

Did you even bother to read all of the responses to this thread before you decided to start spouting shit out of your mouth?

Get a clue!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

37. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:22 SpectralMeat

Thanks man. I am far from having that much money  

36. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:20 Lorcin

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:52:
Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:48:
I just took out my first anaconda. Master rated guy but only worth 57k. Felt so good in my little viper!
What modules/guns do you have on your Viper?

I'm not docked at a station with outfitting so from the modules list:

Thrusters B3
Shield A3
2 gimballed small Beam lasers E
2 gimballed medium multi-cannons F
Power Dist A3
Life Support C2
FSD B3
Shield Cell Bank C3
Sensors C3
Fuel scoop B1
KWS E
FSD Interdictor E1
Power Plant A3

I know I'm weak against chaff but NPCs don't use it that often and I normally only miss one pass if they do.

Judging from assets - cash on hand it's about 2m in total ship and upgrades. But I've earnt 2m from 153 bounties.

@inblack I had the same problem when I switched to an x52 the day gamma launched. Was sat here going "Where the hell is button 32" etc - then I found a pdf from the manual which showed the default layout, the printout is still on my desk

35. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:02 Undocumented Alien

Getting around OK with a Mouse and Keyboard for now, might buy a wireless XBOX 360 Controller form my PC next month though, have to see how I do in my first dog fight when it comes about (in no hurry )

34. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:58 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:57:
Ill have to fiddle around options a bit more and bind the menu keys to a hat there I guess.

Downloading as we speak.
Yep give it a little time. It took me a few hours of gameplay to get used to where everything is. If something doesn't feel right just re map it.

33. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:57 InBlack

Is there any way to enable the mouse in the cocpit menus? I was struggling to bind keys from my joystick, the whole binding system is a horrible mess.

My first mission will be "Find your pre-order Eagle". Apparently its an agile and very lightly armoured fighter, thats music to my ears. So its just like a tie fighter, basically a flying space lazer! PEW PEW!
There are keys to bind each of the 3 panels if you look under options. There are at least 200 gazillion key binding options from menu navigation to flight controls targeting and all the different functions of your ship like silent running lights cargo door etc etc.
You can not use the mouse to navigate those menus though

Full TrackIR + Saitek X52 HOTAS + Saitek Combat Pedals setup here. So Im good to go

Ill have to fiddle around options a bit more and bind the menu keys to a hat there I guess.

Downloading as we speak.

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 InBlack

Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:30:

Just curious IB since you have had this game for a while why that particular issue was not brought up during beta?

Seems like this is a major issue that should have been addressed long ago.

Nope. Wasnit in the beta. Just pre-ordered about a week ago. Otherwise for sure would have brought it up. The biggest annoyance right now is not really knowing which button is which on the joystick, you should be able to press a button (or axis) on a jostick and the options menu should jump to that command.

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:52 SpectralMeat

Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:48:
I just took out my first anaconda. Master rated guy but only worth 57k. Felt so good in my little viper!
What modules/guns do you have on your Viper?

30. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:48 Lorcin

Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:42:

I'm bounty hunting in an Eagle right now. It's a blast. The ship is tougher than you'd give it credit for (especially if you upgrade it), and a good thruster upgrade makes it one of the most nimble ships in the game. Turrets are really the only thing that fuck me right now in it because I just don't have the staying power that a Cobra or even a Viper might have.

But that being said, in an upgraded eagle (which will cost you probably 1-200k, or a few hours of heavy bounty hunting) you pose a pretty significant threat.

Also, and this is a general suggestion, when you're approaching stations to dock, do yourself a favor and start thinking more newtonian by maneuvering your ship into docking position as best as possible using your thrust keys and not your joystick/mouse. So get used to strafing left right/up and down and maybe using rotation on the stick/mouse to let you line up with the letterbox. The sooner you get used to maneuvering using all your thrust vectors the quicker the game opens up for you.

Also, thrust is additive. So full throttle forward plus strafe left plus strafe up is going to have overall more speed in your final vector than if you were just going forward.

29. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:42 Flatline

I'm bounty hunting in an Eagle right now. It's a blast. The ship is tougher than you'd give it credit for (especially if you upgrade it), and a good thruster upgrade makes it one of the most nimble ships in the game. Turrets are really the only thing that fuck me right now in it because I just don't have the staying power that a Cobra or even a Viper might have.

But that being said, in an upgraded eagle (which will cost you probably 1-200k, or a few hours of heavy bounty hunting) you pose a pretty significant threat.

Also, and this is a general suggestion, when you're approaching stations to dock, do yourself a favor and start thinking more newtonian by maneuvering your ship into docking position as best as possible using your thrust keys and not your joystick/mouse. So get used to strafing left right/up and down and maybe using rotation on the stick/mouse to let you line up with the letterbox. The sooner you get used to maneuvering using all your thrust vectors the quicker the game opens up for you.

Also, thrust is additive. So full throttle forward plus strafe left plus strafe up is going to have overall more speed in your final vector than if you were just going forward.

28. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:34 Flatline

This I what concerns me about this game. they have gone ape shit overboard making the game way to complicated with controls and to the point of almost forcing you to have a complicated setup to play the game.

This is why I am passing on this game. I am hoping Star Citizen is not going to be the same mess. I don't want to wade thought a ton of keyboard options just to paly a flight sim, I want to enjoy it for what it really is and not have to feel like im in some real world BS. I get a feeling this was done to appease the hard Core players.

Bullshit.

I have a keyboard and an ancient joystick and I'm doing fine. Stick for roll/pitch/pew pew pew, keyboard for thrust vectors. WSAD for accellerate, pitch left/right, QE for strafe left right, FR for up down. X is bound to automatic 50% thrust so that I can turn off flight assist and instantly get back to maneuvering speed.

That's 90% of my controls. If I want to hit a menu 1-4 are at my left hand, and that's the menus, and you use WSAD to navigate the menus and QE to navigate the pages.

There's like 3 other keys you use frequently: deploy hardpoints (to reign them back in), jump drive, and landing gear. I have target acquisition and flight assist bound to the joystick so no bigs there.

The only difficulty I'm having is that energy redistribution is defaulted to the arrow keys, and I have to let go of the strafe keys to adjust power, but that's only a minor setback.

That's like what, 12 keys total?

27. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:28 Arithon

If you haven't played it, how do you know it's complicated? If my 12 year old son can manage on an XBOX controller with no instruction. He just played the tutorials and off he went. He tried a rift and didn't like it.

From what I've been told by players of both Elite and Star Citizen, is that SC is more Simulator than Elite and some ships require a huge number of keys, which is why you'll need crew on those ships. Elite, by their account is more arcade-y.

Elite: Dangerous is a PC game though, so don't expect every key-press to come with subtitles, like Call of Duty and other console ports.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

26. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:21 SpectralMeat

There was that voice command software too that people in the beta were using.  

25. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:16 CJ_Parker

Yep. I've mapped everything to my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS via TARGET (no scripting, just regular assignments) without any need to use a 'shift' function or the layers and plenty of free buttons (on the throttle at least... the stick is in full use). It's really not that much.  

1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >