Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous

The Elite: Dangerous forums announce the official release of Elite: Dangerous, as version 1.00 of Frontier Developments' space combat sequel is now available. The game's official website is non-responsive at the moment, but that forum post has some details:
A 30 year legacy, and more than 2 years of development, and we're thrilled to announce that Elite: Dangerous 1.00 is out now, available for download and play.

Thanks to everyone who played this far - see you in space Commanders.

Ed (and the whole of the Elite: Dangerous development team)

https://store.elitedangerous.com/

Change log for those updating from Gamma:

• Prevent missions softlocks when switching servers from A->B->A without disconnecting from A
  • Check if we should use the neutron star's version of the bolometric luminosity first to prevent soft lock
  • Avoid crash in creating a location object when it hits a rare window
  • Sky box view distance altered to reduce memory usage in highly populated regions

View
1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 52.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

164. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:54 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 11:26:
What do I have to swap out on my ship to have my guns not overheat so quickly? Also I was going to get a new shield but this tonnage difference make no sense to me. Does that mean my ship will be less maneuverable?

Power distribution system. Makes no sense but it has bigger weapons capacitors.

Short of that you can dump more energy into weapons off your weaps/shields/system balance. In my eagle I usually fly at 3 pips of weapons recharge.

Incidentally, if you notice, gimballed weapons while nice are effectively one grade letter lower in quality than their equal fix mount. So if it feels like your guns do nothing, and you have gimbals, try switching up to fixed hardpoints and see if your damage output goes up.

I find if you can out turn or otherwise keep up with your target gimbals are a waste. They're useful if you can never quite get your nose aligned and need that firing cone however.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

163. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:52 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 18:39:
Problem with that is it takes a valuable equipment slot. Good to know, though. Didn't realize they were taken out. I've never scooped fuel before. Flying into the sun seems wrong somehow.

You can get more quicker by not flying - just cut your at about 90-100% heat levels and scoop until you hit 135% then break away. You don't take heat damage until you hit 150%.

Oh and remember to cool down before you hit FSD or you will overheat.

162. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:46 Vall Forran

Flatline wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 18:42:
Rossini wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:45:
Vall Forran wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:09:
Dacron wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:01:
On different topic, did anyone else notice the new frameshift charge icon? It's right underneath the "cargo scoop" part of the gui.

The blue countdown circle thing? Rather than desperately pounding the frameshift drive button when some pirate yanks you out of supercruise it's nice to be able to see when it'll be ready again. Especially when you're in a toothless hauler filled to the brim with cargo.

Has anyone seen if there is an indicator for when 'boost' comes off cooldown?

Yeah when your engine gauge fills up in the power balance meter.

That's not actually true. Once you buy an upgraded power distributor, your afterburn kicks in way earlier. My lakon 6, I can boost right around 60%. I can pretty much boost twice in a row (with a very minor pause in between).

161. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:42 Flatline

Rossini wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:45:
Vall Forran wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:09:
Dacron wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 18:01:
On different topic, did anyone else notice the new frameshift charge icon? It's right underneath the "cargo scoop" part of the gui.

The blue countdown circle thing? Rather than desperately pounding the frameshift drive button when some pirate yanks you out of supercruise it's nice to be able to see when it'll be ready again. Especially when you're in a toothless hauler filled to the brim with cargo.

Has anyone seen if there is an indicator for when 'boost' comes off cooldown?

Yeah when your engine gauge fills up in the power balance meter.

160. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:39 Vall Forran

Problem with that is it takes a valuable equipment slot. Good to know, though. Didn't realize they were taken out. I've never scooped fuel before. Flying into the sun seems wrong somehow.  

159. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 18:32 Undocumented Alien

Never happened to me, but I hear there is some distress beacon you can activate? Someone will rescue you, it's expensive, but probably less than a new ship.

Just did some reading on the FD forums, I guess they took the distress beacon out... so you die... be interesting to see how I re-spawn.

According to the forums, one should buy a fuel scoop, guess I'll look at that.

158. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 17:44 Vall Forran

Never happened to me, but I hear there is some distress beacon you can activate? Someone will rescue you, it's expensive, but probably less than a new ship.

Edit:

And since you're wanted...yeah, you're probably effed.

157. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 17:30 Undocumented Alien

Yep, it's 100 CR alright, know it first hand...

Another lesson in life... pay the fine... I thought that the game would automatically deduct CR from my account but it didn't... now since I didn't pay it, I became 'Wanted' (you see it on the right side of your screen).

So, the 5-o started to come after me in Fed space so I ran... and ran... and now I'm outta Fuel in a Dead Sector (no stations)... so I believe my first gank will be by my own hands...

...will know better next time.

156. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:47 Vall Forran

Vancouver, Pacific.  

155. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:43 Undocumented Alien

East Coast - USA.  

154. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:42 Undocumented Alien

You get a fine for violating no fire zones (100credit I think), and I haven't seen authority vessels near the small station... are the smaller stations armed as well?

Yep, it's 100 CR alright, know it first hand...

The 1st hour of playing the game (I didn't do beta) hanging around a small Outpost within the No Fire zone I thought it might be cute to scan another player in the No fire zone and of course hit the wrong mouse button and almost hit him/her with my Phasers I hailed the CMDR and apologized, but the Federation slapped me with a 100 CR bill. Noob mistakes!

Game is a trip

153. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:40 SpectralMeat

Those small stations are armed. Only reason I know is I was landing when someone was getting shot to pieces by the station right next to me. It wasn't a human player so not sure what was the reason but it was pretty funny seeing the npc turn around and fly away.
I am in Canada ET time zone by the way
I do get up early in the morning to play an hour or so before work lol

Steam: SpectralMeat

152. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:35 Lorcin

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:09:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 11:26:
Edit:
And damn all of you for being either on the east coast, or extremely early risers.

Or not waking up until 4pm but living in the UK

151. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:26 Dacron

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 14:05:
Wouldn't the station just open up on you if you shoot within the no fire zone?
I think you have to be within range 1-2km in order to shoot someone on the platform

You get a fine for violating no fire zones (100credit I think), and I haven't seen authority vessels near the small station... are the smaller stations armed as well?

*edit*
answered as I posted... so they do have guns...

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

150. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:25 Vall Forran

Haha, probably. I forgot that outposts have guns too. I was thinking there likely aren't any police around to go after you.  

149. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:05 SpectralMeat

Wouldn't the station just open up on you if you shoot within the no fire zone?
I think you have to be within range 1-2km in order to shoot someone on the platform

148. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 14:00 Vall Forran

It usually happens on an outpost near a major station. Everyone's doing the missions, so a bunch of people deliver cargo to the same spot and have to wait around. Be sure to "enter hangar" after docking at the outpost...you can get shot to death by impatient people waiting! Or also, you know, be the one doing the shooting.

For awhile the npc ships had the same rights as players, so it was really annoying to watch those idiots slowly dock with a short mission timer running. They changed the priorities a few patches back, I haven't noticed it nearly as much since.

147. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 13:53 SpectralMeat

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:37:
That's killer, never seen that yet (I play solo usually though), didn't even think about it!

Yeah, if I get denied I just watch for someone to leave the station then immediately request docking and I usually get in

Wow, that is really awesome. I was always wondering if that could happen, well I guess now I know it can.
It would be so cheesy to be able to dock where someone just docked and magically disappeared.
This is going to be especially interesting on those small stations with only 3 landing spots.
Imagine the stress sitting there with a broken canopy waiting for someone to undock while your life support timer is running out lol

146. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 13:49 JayDeath

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:43:
JayDeath wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:39:
Can anyone tell me if the game be gifted from the website? My brother wants to buy this for me but I'm not sure if you can gift it.
From the official support page:

Is there a way to purchase items in the store as gifts?

Not currently, although this is something we are investigating. For the moment anything you purchase through the store will be fixed to your account, so we recommend not buying anything that you intend to offer as a gift.
https://store.elitedangerous.com/usd/support/

Thank you.

Steam: BenRichards

145. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 13:43 SpectralMeat

JayDeath wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:39:
Can anyone tell me if the game be gifted from the website? My brother wants to buy this for me but I'm not sure if you can gift it.
From the official support page:

Is there a way to purchase items in the store as gifts?

Not currently, although this is something we are investigating. For the moment anything you purchase through the store will be fixed to your account, so we recommend not buying anything that you intend to offer as a gift.
https://store.elitedangerous.com/usd/support/

1184 Replies. 60 pages. Viewing page 52.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >