Hatred Gets Steam Redlight

Steam Greenlight Campaign for Hatred mentioned earlier today is no longer active, as visiting the page for the campaign now returns the error. Eurogamer has a terse statement from Doug Lombardi saying that Valve killed the campaign: "Based on what we've seen on Greenlight we would not publish Hatred on Steam. As such we'll be taking it down."
View : : :
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight
Dec 16, 2014, 22:15
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 22:15
Dec 16, 2014, 22:15

The game is back on Steam Greenlight. For something that looked like a cheap 3D remake of Postal most people probably don't give a shit about they sure got a lot of free publicity out of this non-event.

Dec 16, 2014, 19:46
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 19:46
Dec 16, 2014, 19:46

I'd like to play this game. Shooting a rocket into a tupperware convention full of mommies (with babies!) or setting a grocery store on fire (please have a mechanism in place that makes me able to lock/block exits!). I'd just love to do that and I would have hoped I could play it on my favourite platform (STEAM) and that I'd get the "No Parent Material" and "You're Out of Milk!?" achievements in the process.

Not kidding. That's one of the reasons I'm pissed they banned this game. So screw anyone who agrees with STEAM's hypocracy. I could have had so much fun while you would feel just the same whether it was greenlit or not. Ffs.

Dec 16, 2014, 19:15
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 19:15
Dec 16, 2014, 19:15

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 09:31:
Ozmodan how do you know the game is POS? Have you played it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcIsEcZQrLc
My name is not important, what is important is what I'm going to do
I just fucking hate this world and these human worms feasting on its carcass
My life is just cold bitter hatred and I always wanted to die violently
This is the time of vengeance and no life is worth saving and I will put into the grave as many as I can
It's time for me to kill and it's time for me to die.

I don't think we need to play it and by playing it would mean purchasing it beforehand, thereby rewarding the developer on the creation of this mass murder simulator. The trailer displays the mass murder of civilians in isometric view and the statements are the main motivation of the protagonist. Also on display in the trailer is the protagonist assaulting a woman, sticking a gun into her mouth and pulling the trigger with brains and blood ejecting from the back of her skull. Absolutely wonderful.

I wouldn't be all that surprising that at the end of the game the protagonist walks into a forest puts a gun to his head and commits suicide. Would that equate a Steam achievement?

My verdict. It's a POS. Thumbsdown

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2014, 21:11.
Steamworks

Re: snap into it
Dec 16, 2014, 16:08
Re: snap into it Dec 16, 2014, 16:08
Dec 16, 2014, 16:08

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 14:55:
Sure, violence is violence, but we're not Jains. We live in a society that justifies violence and killing in certain circumstances: self-defense, war, etc.

thats right, and its hypocritical at the root..

its certainly not black and white, its all shades of grey - yet people fail to see it that way, its always "good vs evil", extremely binary and therefore one-sided perspectives which occlude the actual reality of the situation

society is in no way "altruistic" or even "fair" whatsoever at the largest macro level - the law of the jungle is still the primary motivational force, money rules all and its the only thing that matters to most people (who will kick their own grandma in the teeth just for another handful)

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 14:55:
Context matters, be it in real life or in fantasy.

yeh thats the whole thing of it - only a society like ours could produce a work such as this game - its a product of the environment and if people dont like it, then its doing its job quite well IMHO

people are just monkeys pretending not to be.. its a fucking joke, they are just as bad and in many ways worse. when it comes to nuts and bolts reality, nobody "gets it" - and thats a big problem

they need their little golden cages rattled - its for their own "good". its time to wake up, because population growth isnt slowing down and the sheer lack of situational awareness will kill off the species sooner rather than later (in geological terms)

everybody is so busy trying to pull each others strings they cant see how many are attached to themselves.. its a mess, and it wont get better without some serious pain, because people are too stupid to do it themselves - they have to be forced into it

so yeh, if this shit pisses you off and makes you feel like a hero for "doing the right thing" by turning up your nose... then, excellent - everything is going to plan... and you wont see it coming when your glass house shatters into a million jagged peices... shredding you to dust

Re: snap into it
Dec 16, 2014, 14:55
Re: snap into it Dec 16, 2014, 14:55
Dec 16, 2014, 14:55

harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:19:
the most hilarious thing about this is these idiots debating over the validity of rationalizing their violent indulgences by fighting "monsters" instead of a straight up murder simulator that glorifies violence, cruelty and mindless bloodshed to the Nth degree

violence is still violence - thats the INTENT.. injury and death by force. Violence is violence, its part of life - plenty people are completely fucking ignorant murderous assholes IN REAL LIFE, like all the pigs on the news these days ..

kill or be killed, dog eat dog - but OH NO! theres a video game that makes psychotic violence the main point... now what? a cognitive dissonance bonanza - so for that alone, good job devs

now, lets hear more of these self-righteous hypocrites talking about how moral and superior they are... cmon, wind it up, get it as twisted as you can Mwahaha

Sure, violence is violence, but we're not Jains. We live in a society that justifies violence and killing in certain circumstances: self-defense, war, etc. I can kill the man who breaks into my house to rape my wife, but not the old lady next door out watering her flowers. Justification matters. Our games reflect that. CoD, BF, L4D, etc. fall squarely into the justified violence category. Spec Ops: The Line is much grayer and introspective. GTAV falls into the unjustified category, but also has a lot more to offer than just killing. Hatred appears so far to offer little beyond unjustified violence, which is why it is objectionable for so many people. Context matters, be it in real life or in fantasy.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

snap into it
Dec 16, 2014, 13:19
snap into it Dec 16, 2014, 13:19
Dec 16, 2014, 13:19

the most hilarious thing about this is these idiots debating over the validity of rationalizing their violent indulgences by fighting "monsters" instead of a straight up murder simulator that glorifies violence, cruelty and mindless bloodshed to the Nth degree

violence is still violence - thats the INTENT.. injury and death by force. Violence is violence, its part of life - plenty people are completely fucking ignorant murderous assholes IN REAL LIFE, like all the pigs on the news these days ..

kill or be killed, dog eat dog - but OH NO! theres a video game that makes psychotic violence the main point... now what? a cognitive dissonance bonanza - so for that alone, good job devs

now, lets hear more of these self-righteous hypocrites talking about how moral and superior they are... cmon, wind it up, get it as twisted as you can Mwahaha

Dec 16, 2014, 13:07
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 13:07
Dec 16, 2014, 13:07

The anger at Steam over this is laughable. It's their store, they can sell what they please. Plenty of stores (digital and retail) choose not to sell certain things, it doesn't stop people from shopping there.

IMO it's just another reason to bag on Valve if you are anti-steam, regardless of whether you agree with the issue at hand or not.

Dec 16, 2014, 12:35
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 12:35
Dec 16, 2014, 12:35

BobBob wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:22:
How is the game more shocking than http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452046 or http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203259 ?

Oh, are those on Steam? I didn't know that Steam started carrying TV shows. I suppose it's a natural thing for them to do given they've got a massive server infrastructure in place.

This game is less police drama and more slasher film. Think Cannibal Holocaust or A Serbian Film.
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Dec 16, 2014, 12:22
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 12:22
Dec 16, 2014, 12:22

Icewind wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 08:46:
In keeping with my free market capitalist beliefs, I understand that Valve has every right to do this and, unlike the idiots already forming petitions around the web (The developer is even starting one) I know that fighting them over this is childish and a waste of time.

However,

From now on, whenever a game I want is on another service other than steam (Origin, GOG, Desura, Gamer's Gate, etc) I will buy it there instead. I will never buy another game from Steam unless it is solely exclusive to Steam. Which is highly rare nowadays with GOG gaining so much power in the industry.

I'm sure my money won't make a difference (I maybe spent a $100 or so a month on digital purchases) but I can assure you they will never get anything from me anymore.

You're making this decision just based on the fact that they won't carry this game? And you think the other digital platforms are more likely to carry this?
Your choice is clear.

Dec 16, 2014, 11:28
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 11:28
Dec 16, 2014, 11:28

Quinn wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 04:22:
I dont see GTA V banned from steam yet? I mean, squeezing titties, bringing strippers home to put a bullet in their vaginas, running around town shooting and burning people and running them over with tanks or punching whores to death to get your money back... THAT'S OK? Of course its OK because its a GAME! Hatred should be handled the same way. But hey, GTA V will make big money and that's where morals get grey! Fucking hypocrites.

This us censorship. Period. The people themselves should decide whether it's worth their money or not. "Steam has the right to--" Blablablabla yes Steam has the right to ban it from its store. But because it basically has the monopoly, it's worth it to get loud when it starts to make decisions for us. You know, like a government dictatorship, since there's only one.

Seen the movie Rampage? I thought it was fun.

Right on. You can do twisted shit in a lot of games and they sell them. It's pixels, what gets me is people know this, but if something seems to start getting too over the top for them, then they start to blur realities, even though nothing has changed at all in that realm. OTHERWISE... a lot of shit out today should be banned. Then we'd have to go to Hollywood and Music and start banning there to.

Dec 16, 2014, 11:22
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 11:22
Dec 16, 2014, 11:22

How is the game more shocking than http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452046 or http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203259 ?
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Dec 16, 2014, 10:17
Prez

Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 10:17
Dec 16, 2014, 10:17
 Prez

With all of the crappy games and ultra-violent games on Steam I am really not liking this apparent hypocrisy.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Dec 16, 2014, 09:33
nin

Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 09:33
Dec 16, 2014, 09:33
 nin

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 09:31:

Everything he plays is poop. Which says more about him than the games.

Dec 16, 2014, 09:31
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 09:31
Dec 16, 2014, 09:31

I have a nifty blue line!

Dec 16, 2014, 09:28
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 09:28
Dec 16, 2014, 09:28

Quinn wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 04:22:
I dont see GTA V banned from steam yet? I mean, squeezing titties, bringing strippers home to put a bullet in their vaginas, running around town shooting and burning people and running them over with tanks or punching whores to death to get your money back... THAT'S OK? Of course its OK because its a GAME! Hatred should be handled the same way. But hey, GTA V will make big money and that's where morals get grey! Fucking hypocrites.

This us censorship. Period. The people themselves should decide whether it's worth their money or not. "Steam has the right to--" Blablablabla yes Steam has the right to ban it from its store. But because it basically has the monopoly, it's worth it to get loud when it starts to make decisions for us. You know, like a government dictatorship, since there's only one.

Seen the movie Rampage? I thought it was fun.

Seriously, what a distorted view you have. The game is a POS and you are complaining because Valve decided to not carry it? They don't carry a lot of games for many reasons. I just wish idiots would not make games like this because it really gives the games industry a bad name.

So no, it has nothing to do with censorship it is Valve avoiding a lot of negative publicity they don't need.

Too many people who don't grasp the meaning of words in this thread, banned, censored of which this is neither.

Dec 16, 2014, 09:27
Verno

Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 09:27
Dec 16, 2014, 09:27
 Verno

It seems like a silly double standard to apply given the number of other reprehensible games on Steam.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Dec 16, 2014, 08:46
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 08:46
Dec 16, 2014, 08:46

In keeping with my free market capitalist beliefs, I understand that Valve has every right to do this and, unlike the idiots already forming petitions around the web (The developer is even starting one) I know that fighting them over this is childish and a waste of time.

However,

From now on, whenever a game I want is on another service other than steam (Origin, GOG, Desura, Gamer's Gate, etc) I will buy it there instead. I will never buy another game from Steam unless it is solely exclusive to Steam. Which is highly rare nowadays with GOG gaining so much power in the industry.

I'm sure my money won't make a difference (I maybe spent a $100 or so a month on digital purchases) but I can assure you they will never get anything from me anymore.

Dec 16, 2014, 08:36
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 08:36
Dec 16, 2014, 08:36

I am fine with this game not being published on Steam. It is their company, they can choose what they want to have associated with them as they see fit. If you don't like that then don't use Steam, and if you really don't like it feel free to create a competing digital distribution platform.

Dec 16, 2014, 08:15
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 08:15
Dec 16, 2014, 08:15

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 21:22:
Qube is right. What censorship? Valve simply chose to exercise their rights and not sell a product on their platform. Why is it some people always have to take freedom to extremes? As if it were an all or nothing affair. Newsflash, we only live with the illusion of freedom. If it were real 'anything goes' freedom you'd be shitting your pants in terror. Is that what you're arguing for? The sort of society this game portrays? Just going around mass-murdering for laughs? The fuck is wrong with you? Grow the fuck up.
Echo: The fuck is wrong with you?

Game goes too far.

Dec 16, 2014, 08:13
Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 08:13
Dec 16, 2014, 08:13

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 07:46:
If one of those 'talented' journalists working at [insert gaming rag of choice] were to make a connection between Postal and this game and call them out on their hypocrisy, they might.

I don't know about Hatred and the first Postal, but the second one was obviously a comical effort, completely over the top and not to be taken seriously. Besides the whole thing in connection with GTA V reminds me of Apple censorship, like taking smaller apps with sexual content from their store, but still offering the big players. Pure hypocrisy too!
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older