Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 10, 2014, 08:56 NetHead

PropheT wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 20:09:
ISP's add 4k video streaming to list of benefits starting in 2035.

There's the giant Elephant turd in the soup. I don't think there are many places that can really do 4K streaming, even highly compressed 1080p video can hit 40GB and require 20Mbps for the video alone.

So taking a 4K video and keeping that kind of quality the bandwidth requirements would be massive. Not only that but it would destroy any bandwidth caps I've seen with just a few hours of watching. 500GB, hah, would last the weekend at best with quality 4K video.

Unless of course it's just upscaled to 4K so they can say they have 4K content and charge more for the upscaled crap. Same goes for if it's actual 4K but with low bitrates, would be pointless.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 10, 2014, 01:36 Slick

PropheT wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 20:09:

shit pisses me off, the only way to actually watch the 4K is by owning a 4k television (from the right manufacturer) with the netflix smarttv app.

i got my girl a 4k computer monitor, as i gotta say, other than gaming there's no reason to have 4k (other than for a workstation, ie. 1080p on a video editor is ideal, 1080p for each quadrant of the editor, so edit in native).

but it's not that polite euphemism that "there's no 4k content out there", it's actually true. the film studios haven't agreed how to sell and package 4k content yet. so far you have 16 movies/shows on netflix, probably the same on amazon now, both of which you can't watch on a computer.

or you could buy the samsung hard drive for $300

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 9, 2014, 23:46 Caladell

NotOneOfUs wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 20:39:
If it's a May launch, why is it in April?

Should read, "[It] May launch in April"

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 9, 2014, 22:41 Redmask

Not at all surprised to hear it was an ex-Microsoft executive who was fucking up HBO internally. Glad they got rid of the rot.  

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 9, 2014, 21:52 nin

NotOneOfUs wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 20:39:

HBO hopes to launch the new standalone streaming service in line with the Game of Thrones season premiere in April.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 9, 2014, 20:39 NotOneOfUs

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 9, 2014, 20:09 PropheT

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >