Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Black Friday, a salutation which comes with the sincere hope that you are not in the middle of a mob in some store fighting over a television, though it that really makes you happy, who am I to judge? We had a good Thanksgiving here, hope things worked out as well for you. Now for some Turkey salad.

Black Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: One More Line.
Turkey Attack.
Idle: Click him 2.
Link: 8 Things You Didn't Know About James Bond. Unless you are me.
Media: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer. (or without QT). Thanks nin.
This Is The Worst Driver in GTA History.
Auctions: World's largest video game collection back on the market.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 22:42 nin

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 21:49:
Yeesh, that looks even worse. Either it's CG, and it's an early render, and they'll fix the stuff that's wrong (it's well-known that they often rush the CG for trailers). Or it's practical, and they composited it wrong in the background frame. I still think the swoopy shot is very cool (and it's classic Abrams) I just hope they more seamlessly integrate it so it's not as glaring to me.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 21:49 jdreyer

Krovven wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 16:38:
Disney released some high-res images from the trailer.

Look better for you now without so much motion blur? CG/Models up to your standards? How about the high res IMAX image?

Yeesh, that looks even worse. Either it's CG, and it's an early render, and they'll fix the stuff that's wrong (it's well-known that they often rush the CG for trailers). Or it's practical, and they composited it wrong in the background frame. I still think the swoopy shot is very cool (and it's classic Abrams) I just hope they more seamlessly integrate it so it's not as glaring to me.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 20:01 Wolfox

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 03:00:
I'm seeing a lot of hate out there for the lightsaber, but I thought it was pretty cool. I especially like the effect of the light shooting out like an acetylene flame.

Oh, it looks really cool. It just doesn't make any sense, for many different reasons (possibility of harm to the wielder, no effective protection for the hand, weird positioning in an edgeless, "cut-any-direction" weightless blade, and so on and so forth). But it does look cool.

33. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Nov 29, 2014, 19:26 Tulwinn

I did think the lightsabre looked a bit daft at first but a broadsword lightsabre is begining to grow on me. Plus there IS precedent in the EU. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

Looking at the pics that nin linked to (thanks nin) it could confirm an early rumour that Adam Drivers character is obsessed by the Sith and has been hunting Sith Artifacts, the blades look rough, and the hilt old, could be one he found.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 18:55 mag

mag wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 15:39:
One unforgivable sin: What the shit that lightsaber is idiotic.

I'm seeing a lot of hate out there for the lightsaber, but I thought it was pretty cool. I especially like the effect of the light shooting out like an acetylene flame.

The actual rough-around-the-edges blade is fine, I don't think anyone's angry about that. It's cool. But the lightsaber-crossguards are ridiculous, useless, and dangerous. Unless they really are just some sort of exhaust thing, in which case they're just ridiculous and dangerous.

You shouldn't be able to cut your hand off by touching your crossguard, and it wouldn't stop another lightsaber blade because it still has metal bits sticking out that would get cut off.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 16:38 Krovven

Disney released some high-res images from the trailer.

Look better for you now without so much motion blur? CG/Models up to your standards? How about the high res IMAX image?

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 09:09 Retired

This Is The Worst Driver in GTA History.

hahahah so many great moments like that with NPCs.....

World's largest video game collection back on the market.

Damn, I was really hoping he would get the money, as it seems as though he actually needs it - not just dumping his collection. I didn't win the Mega Millions this week - so hoping for the Powerball tonight - then I would have no problem taking that off of his hands.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2014, 09:17.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 08:41 Redmask

It looked fine, the hilt bit seemed a bit unnecessary but hey whatever lets have some fun. Hopefully this turns out better than the Star Trek movies, didn't care for those at all.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 03:37 Krovven

At least we agree on something. I think it looks great and I like the hilt. The slightly different effect on the blade is a nice touch as every Jedi's saber would have it's own quirks and characteristics (according to lore). I actually have that still as my desktop background now.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 03:24 Krovven

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 02:52:
Krovven wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 02:51:
1badmf wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 13:36:
i dont think that was jade. she looked too young to me. probably one of the solo kids.

overall impression for me - the abramsness of it is killing me. god, the shakycam, THE FUCKING SHAKYCAM! and wayyyy too much fake looking CG. i wonder why none of these morons realize that all these overproduced monstrosities still look worse than empire strikes back.

You do realize that Abrams is using mostly practical sets and effects right? Based on what you said, it doesn't sound like you do.

I heard the same thing, but how do you explain how awful the Falcon looked?

I don't think it looks awful at all. I think it looks great. But I'm looking at the framing, the color etc, and not looking for possible errors in the effects.

I think some people are being too picky for the sake of being too picky. I'm not sure how you could possibly tell how well the model looks for the Falcon when it's in constant motion. Even with the stills, there is so much motion blur (as there should be) that you couldn't see detail anyways, let alone be able to tell if it's CG or a practical model.

So yea, I think you and others are full of shit for calling out the "quality of the CG".

Still of the trailer here. star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-images

As for the movie, I'm hesitant, yet very excited. I liked the new Star Trek movies and everything else Abrams has done. Lucas disappointed, Abrams has not.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2014, 03:42.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 03:00 jdreyer

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 02:52 jdreyer

Krovven wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 02:51:
i dont think that was jade. she looked too young to me. probably one of the solo kids.

overall impression for me - the abramsness of it is killing me. god, the shakycam, THE FUCKING SHAKYCAM! and wayyyy too much fake looking CG. i wonder why none of these morons realize that all these overproduced monstrosities still look worse than empire strikes back.

You do realize that Abrams is using mostly practical sets and effects right? Based on what you said, it doesn't sound like you do.

I heard the same thing, but how do you explain how awful the Falcon looked?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 02:51 jdreyer

PropheT wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 19:52:
nin wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 14:07:
Kinda liked the fact they didn't lean on established characters right off the bat.

Me too.

Unless you consider the Millennium Falcon to be an established character, because that part was awesome.

Not a huge fan of the CGI falcon. Maybe they're still working on the CGI? Could have been an early render. It didn't look "right" and also, it wasn't lit correctly to fit in the frame.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 02:51 Krovven

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 01:35 mag

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 21:13:
mag wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 16:14:
Task wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 15:58:
I doubt Mara Jade is in it, but obviously the books had more than that going for them. That narrator with the gravely voice sounded like Tony Todd.

Also I'm not out shopping today, screw Black Friday or Brown Thursday or whatever the fluck it is now.

The narrator is Smaug. I mean Khan. I mean Sherlock. I mean... Benedict Cummerbund or whatever.

No it's not, it's Andi Serkis.

Oops! You're right! I saw about a dozen places saying it was Cumberbatch and took it at face value, but looks like it's been officially confirmed as Serkis. That's a new voice for him.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2014, 00:24 Jivaro

Don't know if anyone is interested but here is a link to a "mod" that changes the tactical mode in DA:I to be more like DA:O.

It's on reddit, there are links and instructions, and it uses cheatengine. I guess that technically makes it a hack and not a mod...and you should probably (definitely) make sure not to have cheatengine running if you are going to use multiplayer.

I personally can not say whether it is worth it or not because I am not willing to go through the trouble and have always had kind of an old fashioned "I don't trust that" type relationship with Cheat Engine. Folks I game with say its great, so I thought I would pass it along in case someone here was interested since tactical mode is absolute shite.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2014, 21:13 Agent.X7

I doubt Mara Jade is in it, but obviously the books had more than that going for them. That narrator with the gravely voice sounded like Tony Todd.

Also I'm not out shopping today, screw Black Friday or Brown Thursday or whatever the fluck it is now.

The narrator is Smaug. I mean Khan. I mean Sherlock. I mean... Benedict Cummerbund or whatever.

No it's not, it's Andi Serkis.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2014, 21:12 NKD

That's a strange way of spelling Max von Sydow. The narrator was pretty obviously him, who is actually in the film.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2014, 20:20 nin

PropheT wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 19:52:
Kinda liked the fact they didn't lean on established characters right off the bat.

Me too.

Unless you consider the Millennium Falcon to be an established character, because that part was awesome.

Yeah, I watched it again just now, and got a shit eating grin as the Falcon does the loop.

But yeah, I expected some Ford shots, and I'm glad they didn't. If Star Wars is going to live beyond those classic characters (and it should), at some point, we have to let them go. There's so much more in that universe I hope we see, even if it means leaving the past behind, eventually.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2014, 19:52 PropheT

Me too.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo